Rock HOF nominations are out

8,917 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mathguy86 said:

The inductees are out. ELO, Journey, Yes, Pearl Jam, Tupac and Joan Baez.

Solid group
Stive
AG
And I think it'd be awesome if Steve Perry performed with Journey for the induction ceremony.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

I can't name a song yes or ELO has. I can name 90% of Pearl Jam songs in 10 notes or less.

Obviously they belong.
a. you must be young
b. you're not exactly the demographic they cater to
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
mathguy86 said:

The inductees are out. ELO, Journey, Yes, Pearl Jam, Tupac and Joan Baez.

well just saw this follow up

doesn't surprise me they had to be more diverse.

Cars will get there soon.

thats not a bad group at all. 4 of them are musts - ELO, Yes, Pearl Jam and Journey. thats gonna be one hell of a final jam session. Very eclectic. Please please please Steve.....rejoin Journey just for this (and maybe that'll get a reunion tour going???).

Tupac - I get it.

Baez - of course it would happen this year, she'll make it a political thing of course and anti-Trump

Mathguy64
AG
That makes the Traveling Wilburys the super group to end all super groups. Dylan, Orbison, Harrison, Petty and now Lynne are all in HoF.
Big Al 1992
AG
Good group - concert and induction ceremony will be fun.

Steve Perry has to be there - it would be THE highlight of the whole deal - what about Greg Rolle (singer before SP?)

And Cars are >>>>>>>>Yes. Only disappointment.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
mathguy86 said:

That makes the Traveling Wilburys the super group to end all super groups. Dylan, Orbison, Harrison, Petty and now Lynne are all in HoF.
speaking of....Petty is on the road again in 2017 with the Heartbreakers....40th Anniversary tour.

got my Dallas tix already.

with special guest Joe Walsh. Pretty cool.

MooreTrucker
AG
That Bad Brains (whoeverTF that is) is even nominated before bands like Yes, ELO, Journey, Pearl Jam, the Zombies, and the Cars is just ridiculous!

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
MooreTrucker said:

That Bad Brains (whoeverTF that is) is even nominated before bands like Yes, ELO, Journey, Pearl Jam, the Zombies, and the Cars is just ridiculous!

They weren't nominated before those bands or some of them. They were nominated THIS year for the first time. And they were nominated by a fan vote - something that would go to an obscure band. They include one fan vote band every year on the ballot.

They were NOT inducted - thats a separate thing. They were simply nominated - on the ballot basically.

FYI - you are only eligible for nomination and induction 25 years after your first album - so this is the FIRST year Pearl jam was even eligible. So thats why Pearl Jam is a first time nominee and got inducted as a first time nominee too. So don't compare that to Bad Brains who first released an album in 1977.

And the Cars and Yes have been nominated before - they just weren't inducted before. Meaning they were on the ballot but did not get enough votes (you have to get 50% or more).

ELO and Journey maybe should have been nominated before sure....but they just had to wait their tun...look the Hall started in 1986 and only inducts 5-7 per year. They've been playing catch up for a long time. Rush and Kiss only recently got in for gods sake.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

FYI these are the members they included for the groups inducted:

YES - everyone from heydey 2 drummers, 2 guitarists, 1 bassist, 2 keyboardists, 1 lead vocalist
Jon Anderson, Bill Bruford, Steve Howe, Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Rick Wakeman and Alan White

Journey - so mainstays Cain, Schon, Smith and Valory plus both vocalists Perry and Rollie and early drummer Dunbar
Jonathan Cain, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Perry, Gregg Rolie, Neal Schon, Steve Smith and Ross Valory

ELO - founders (Lynne and Wood) and longest running keyboardist Tandy and original drummer Bevan
Bev Bevan, Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy and Roy Wood

Pearl Jam - current lineup and original drummer (Krusen)
Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron, Stone Gossard, Dave Krusen, Mike McCready and Eddie Vedder
MooreTrucker
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

MooreTrucker said:

They weren't nominated before those bands or some of them. They were nominated THIS year for the first time. And they were nominated by a fan vote - something that would go to an obscure band. They include one fan vote band every year on the ballot.

They were NOT inducted - thats a separate thing. They were simply nominated - on the ballot basically.

FYI - you are only eligible for nomination and induction 25 years after your first album - so this is the FIRST year Pearl jam was even eligible. So thats why Pearl Jam is a first time nominee and got inducted as a first time nominee too. So don't compare that to Bad Brains who first released an album in 1977.

And the Cars and Yes have been nominated before - they just weren't inducted before. Meaning they were on the ballot but did not get enough votes (you have to get 50% or more).

ELO and Journey maybe should have been nominated before sure....but they just had to wait their tun...look the Hall started in 1986 and only inducts 5-7 per year. They've been playing catch up for a long time. Rush and Kiss only recently got in for gods sake.

OK, I should have said "nominated before/with". The point remains that Bad Brains is pretty obscure compared to the others. It certainly wasn't intended to be a personal slight.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah i just also figured you didn't know it was by a fan vote - and rock fans are notoriously anti establishment. they also know the big names will get nominated in due time anyway. so they purposefully target bands like that.

believe me i don't care either way about Bad Brains. just explaining that others were nominated before, or were not eligible before and why an obscure band would be. sometimes just being nominated is a big thing for an obscure but maybe influential band.
Rudyjax
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Unthought Known said:

I can't name a song yes or ELO has. I can name 90% of Pearl Jam songs in 10 notes or less.

Obviously they belong.
a. you must be young

Hahah...i wish. I'm 45 next month.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Unthought Known said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

Unthought Known said:

Obviously they belong.
a. you must be young

Hahah...i wish. I'm 45 next month.
then it's inconceivable that you don't know a YES song.

even if you didn't know their 70s huge stuff which was more classic rock

"Owner of a Lonely Heart" would have been huge when you were 12ish it was a #1 song
if you watched MTV at all around that age you heard and saw YES.

And over the next 5 years they had multiple top 10 hits

"Leave It" was a top 25 hit

the following were all rock radio staple songs
Changes
Hold On
It Can Happen
Rhythm of Love
Shoot High Aim Low

and those aren't even Yes best stuff but were pretty prevalent in mainstream music in 83-88.

In the 70's huge classic rock iconic songs from Yes like:

I've Seen All Good People
Roundabout
America

lesser ons like
Going for the One
And You and I

If you've ever listened to classic rock you've heard these songs.

nashvilleaggie11
My "grandpa" (not by blood but consider him so) is a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer inductee. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of the new batch. I'm good with the choices.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Steppenwolf gets shafted again.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Steppenwolf gets shafted again.
still waiting for their third hit....

jk

PLUM LOCO
AG
Zombie, I think if a artist only gets in because of hits it is due to fail as a shrine.

Artist should be inducted because of the influence they provided from their art.
Tom Hagen
AG
No to Tupac (rap) and Baez (folk).
Say Chowdah
AG
How did Tupac get in before Chic?

It would be great to see Steve Perry sing with Journey again. It doesn't matter that they don't like each other that much. They made great songs!
Know Your Enemy
AG
PLUM LOCO said:

Zombie, I think if a artist only gets in because of hits it is due to fail as a shrine.

Artist should be inducted because of the influence they provided from their art.

Can't say that I've ever heard any artists claim Steppenwolf as a major influence on them.
Know Your Enemy
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

My "grandpa" (not by blood but consider him so) is a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer inductee. I'll have to ask him what he thinks of the new batch. I'm good with the choices.

May I ask who he is?
nashvilleaggie11
Sam Moore of Sam and Dave.
Know Your Enemy
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

No way! That is awesome.
jkag89
nashvilleaggie11 said:

Wow! Very cool!
nashvilleaggie11
And to brag a little more....Rolling Stone named Sam one of the "100 Greatest Singers of All Time." He is pretty amazing...81 years old and still performing.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I've seen him perform before. He is a true legend. A soul man, if you will.
Sailor
62strat said:

I heard Steve Perry had a family member die recently, and the current *Chinese*Journey singer called him up and said 'Don't stop, bereaving'

Bada ching.
FIFY.
Sailor
Oh, and my only comment is that Tupac is NOT rock n roll. I'm not knocking Tupac. I'm just sick of the PC bullcrap that says, well, we need to include black artists so they don't feel left out. Go start a Rap / Hip-hop hall of fame! FWIW, I'd love to see that.
Aust Ag
AG
Say Chowdah said:

It would be great to see Steve Perry sing with Journey again. It doesn't matter that they don't like each other that much. They made great songs!
I think Perry will show up, but I also think there is a chance he does not sing. He hasn't sung those songs in ages, and they are at a high register that I'm sure he can't hit anymore. Think of some of those parts on "must sing" Don't Stop Belivein'.
Problem is, if he shows up and does not sing everyone will be dissapointed. You could have the Filipino kid sing them, but again, a disappointment if Perry is actually in attendance.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Aust Ag said:

Say Chowdah said:

I think Perry will show up, but I also think there is a chance he does not sing. He hasn't sung those songs in ages, and they are at a high register that I'm sure he can't hit anymore. Think of some of those parts on "must sing" Don't Stop Belivein'.
Problem is, if he shows up and does not sing everyone will be dissapointed. You could have the Filipino kid sing them, but again, a disappointment if Perry is actually in attendance.

He just performed earlier this year with another band doing Journey songs.....he can still do it.

I mean they can be selective also and choose songs better suited for what he can hit now.

Look Rush still trots out there (until recently) even though Geddy Lee can't hit those notes any more.

I'm just really really hopeful. One last time at least Steve - come on man - it's tradition at RHOF to come together again.
Say Chowdah
AG
Quote:

He hasn't sung those songs in ages, and they are at a high register that I'm sure he can't hit anymore.

Just have a trio of female backup singers who can hit the high notes. Its worked for Mick Jagger for 40 years now!
MooreTrucker
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Aust Ag said:

Say Chowdah said:

He just performed earlier this year with another band doing Journey songs.....he can still do it.

I mean they can be selective also and choose songs better suited for what he can hit now.

Look Rush still trots out there (until recently) even though Geddy Lee can't hit those notes any more.

I'm just really really hopeful. One last time at least Steve - come on man - it's tradition at RHOF to come together again.

Steven Tyler has a guy help him on the higher notes now too.
Mathguy64
AG
So who's next? They have done a pretty good job the last several years of inducting bands that the public wanted (Rush, KISS, Yes, SRV).

Foo Fighters will get in first ballot but they aren't eligible until 2019 or 2020. I would like to see The Alan Parsons Project.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.