Oingo Boingo

10,145 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
Serious Lee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
the obscure bands thread made me think of them. Does anybody else like this relatively unsuccessful band from the '80s? just watched donnie darko and was reminded what a great song "stay" was.

Also, their piece in texas chainsaw massacre 2 is the tits.

Rudyjax
AG
How do you define relatively unsuccessful?

And you do know who the lead singer was, right?
G Martin 87
AG
"Relatively unsuccessful"? Huh? They were one of the biggest party bands of the 80s. I'm not sure that a band with one of the decade's biggest hits can fairly be called unsuccessful.

Rudyjax
AG
Right?
Rudyjax
AG
If a band with a gold album is relatively unsuccessful, I don't what successful is.
dv0478
they also made an appearance in Back to School, performing Dead Man's Party. Danny Elfman is about as successful as they come.

Sex Panther
AG
Dead Man's Party is awesome
Sex Panther
AG
And Danny Elfman probably has more money than some small countries
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Dead Man's Party is one of my favorite albums.
FNG
Listen to the soundtrack for Pee Wee's Big Adventure and hear how much of those ideas morphed into soundtrack for The Simpsons. Especially the main themes for each.

Elfman has done so many amazing things. Truly a genius.
Rudyjax
AG
I gotta wonder if the OP was even alive in the 1980s.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
Listen to the soundtrack for Pee Wee's Big Adventure and hear how much of those ideas morphed into soundtrack for The Simpsons. Especially the main themes for each.

His greatest work imo is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
CheeseSndwch
Four Words: Teen Wolf Too Montage

bigjag19
AG
quote:
quote:

His greatest work imo is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Batman Returns says hello
dv0478
damn, i miss the montage. being em back, please.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
OP fail.
captkirk
AG
quote:
they also made an appearance in Back to School, performing Dead Man's Party. Danny Elfman is about as successful as they come.

They also had songs on the Fast Times and Bachelor Party soundtracks
claydee2
AG
Good looking daughter also, Jenna Elfman.!
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Good looking daughter also, Jenna Elfman.!

He's her uncle in law (she's married to Danny's nephew Bodhi Elfman)
62strat
AG
quote:
If a band with a gold album is relatively unsuccessful, I don't what successful is.
If a band in its entire career only had 1 gold album (with the rest of their albums less than gold), I'd say that is relatively unsuccessful. Especially without even a top 10 hit, as Oingo Boingo sits.

Elfman's fame and repertoire is largely his score work. That doesn't make the band he was previously in more successful.

So this band has a hit with a song in an 80s movie. Many one hit wonder bands are still relatively unsuccessful.

I'd say a gold album was successful in the 50s and 60s; Platinum for the 70s and beyond.
Rudyjax
AG
That's crap.

I would say they're relatively successful.
You have never heard of unsuccessful bands.

A relatively unsuccessful 80s band would be Napolean Machine Gun.

Btw, it wasn't lack of talent that they didn't make it was the birth of Grunge.
Rudyjax
AG
That's weird. It was the wrong video a minute ago.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:
If a band in its entire career only had 1 gold album (with the rest of their albums less than gold), I'd say that is relatively unsuccessful. Especially without even a top 10 hit, as Oingo Boingo sits.

Elfman's fame and repertoire is largely his score work. That doesn't make the band he was previously in more successful.

So this band has a hit with a song in an 80s movie. Many one hit wonder bands are still relatively unsuccessful.

I'd say a gold album was successful in the 50s and 60s; Platinum for the 70s and beyond.
62strat
AG
quote:

Ummm.. actually I've heard of a whole bunch of unsuccessful bands, including a few that I was in!

Maybe we're arguing over semantics of the term 'relatively unsuccessful', when in actuality, what I think OP is trying to say is Oingo Boingo is not very well known (obscure), and my thoughts back that statement up. They had a small window of fame, and it wasn't very much fame to begin with. A gold record and a few songs that made it onto the billboard charts at high numbers.

Sex Panther
AG
I had never heard Stay, and now I've listened to it a dozen times in the last 24 hours. Thanks OP.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:

Ummm.. actually I've heard of a whole bunch of unsuccessful bands, including a few that I was in!

Maybe we're arguing over semantics of the term 'relatively unsuccessful', when in actuality, what I think OP is trying to say is Oingo Boingo is not very well known (obscure), and my thoughts back that statement up. They had a small window of fame, and it wasn't very much fame to begin with. A gold record and a few songs that made it onto the billboard charts at high numbers.

I disagree. I think anyone that was aware in the 1980s knows them.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I disagree. I think anyone that was aware in the 1980s knows them.
And what exactly is your basis? Because they had a song featured in a teen comedy film that did about $40 million at the box office? Their album sales and charting doesn't exactly represent a band that 'everyone knows'.
Sex Panther
AG
Dude, Oingo Boingo was pretty successful and known. They most definitely were not obscure
Rudyjax
AG
I know very little about music. I know Oingo Boingo. I would say that most gen Xers know the band.
62strat
AG
We'll have to agree to disagree. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in music (outside of country and rap), and I had never heard of them until in the last decade or so, reading about Danny Elfman.

Again, their album sales and chart performance back up my opinion..No one has presented anything that proves otherwise other than their own anecdotal account of how they perceived the bands' popularity in the 80s.

*Their 'well known' song reached an unimpressive #45 on the charts (that's no 'don't you forget about me').
*They released 8 albums and nothing I can find shows that all in they even sold a million copies.
*Based on setlist.com, they played almost exclusively in CA. All of maybe 10 shows out side of CA in their 15 years, and none outside of U.S. This shows they were more of a regional band.

That is a very low level of fame. They sound about as famous as someone like big head todd and the monsters... one minor song on the radio, much more popular in their home state than across the US. Can make a living releasing albums that can sell a few hundred thousand copies and playing large shows in your home market.

Hell, even Big Head Todd has a platinum album.

Anyway seeing as I don't know anything about this band other than what I've read in the last hour, I don't really care anymore. Just trying to soften the blow to the OP, since everyone seems to think this band is an INXS or depeche mode or something.. and I think I even read 'one of the decade's biggest hits'.

#45 on the chart is one of the biggest hits of the decade huh?
Rudyjax
AG
How old are you?
Rudyjax
AG
I think the term relatively unsuccessful is the crux of the argument.

How can a gold album and a top 50 hit be unsuccesfful?

Compared to INXS yeah, maybe they are. Compared to 99.9% of all musicians, they're pretty damn successful.

Maybe it's a glass half full glass half empty argument.

GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in music (outside of country and rap), and I had never heard of them until in the last decade or so, reading about Danny Elfman.

Then you aren't "pretty knowledgeable in music"

HTH.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
quote:
How old are you?
Bingo. Anybody who's "knowledgeable in music" but never heard of Oingo Boingo is hovering around 25 AND doesn't know nearly as much about music as they think they do.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
How old are you?
Bingo. Anybody who's "knowledgeable in music" but never heard of Oingo Boingo is hovering around 25 AND doesn't know nearly as much about music as they think they do.

Or 55.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.