Oingo Boingo

10,136 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
captkirk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
By the way, several of the movies listed above are made up titles. Nice try, white guy.
Oh really? Which ones?

I see seven titles that you obviously made up. Hint: There was never a "Surf 2". Ha!
Ha! No. I've seen all but a couple of these. Here's all the links

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1654592/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
captkirk
AG

quote:
You're either joking or an idiot.

Surf Ii starring Eric Stolz and Eddie Deezen.
WhyNotBoth.gif
Philo B 93
quote:

quote:

WhyNotBoth.gif

When I saw an argument brewing about whether or not Oingo Boingo is obscure, I made a personal goal to push the discussion to 3 pages for a laugh. I didn't think it would happen. After you get over the part you played it this exercise, I think you'll get a laugh out of it, also.
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

WhyNotBoth.gif

When I saw an argument brewing about whether or not Oingo Boingo is obscure, I made a personal goal to push the discussion to 3 pages for a laugh. I didn't think it would happen. After you get over the part you played it this exercise, I think you'll get a laugh out of it, also.

I would say they are obscure. That does not mean relatively unsuccessful.

The term should be moderately successful.

62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

WhyNotBoth.gif

I would say they are obscure. That does not mean relatively unsuccessful.

The term should be moderately successful.

I think I can be OK with moderately successful. I'd go as far as saying they are the bare minimum of what should be defined as 'successful'.

And what do we think of someone who does the bare minimum?

UnderoosAg
AG
**** the whole lot of you, each and every one. Y'all are all wrong. WRONG!!

You have collectively succeeding in getting Dead Man's Party stuck in my head. And not only the song, but RDJ doing his raspberry accompaniment.

Who could ask for more.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I asked a 40 year old coworker who is also a music expert (primarily classic rock and 90s with limited expertise in 80s pop). He also like Radiohead a lot. He's never heard of Oingo Boingo.

This sh*t just keeps gettin' funnier and funnier.

So, a self-appointed "music expert" happens to work with another so-called "music expert" (who majored in Classic Rock with a minor in 80's Pop)? This is just unreal. Please.........just stop.

And Radiohead sucks, so of course he's never heard of Oingo Boingo.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:

And Radiohead sucks, so of course he's never heard of Oingo Boingo.

I won't appoint myself a music 'expert', but i would like to think that there are plenty of music fans like myself who know 1) who Oingo Boingo is, 2) that Radiohead does not suck.

MSFC Aggie
AG
I'm forty something.....and wouldn't consider myself a music expert.....and spent most of the 80s stoned and listening to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.........but I knew who Oingo Boingo was. Although, if it weren't for MTV and the various movies, I probably would have never heard of them.
Professor Frick
AG
If anything, I hope some folks in this thread have learned that just because you're surrounded by people who don't know much about music, and you seem knowledgeable relative to them, you are probably not a music 'expert'.
captkirk
AG
Just to keep it going

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Never heard of them.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Never heard of them.

Shut up millenial
Philo B 93
I would have thought more of you would be more appreciative to have an expert on 80s music and movies on this forum. Some of you seem a little upset.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I would have thought more of you would be more appreciative to have an expert on 80s music and movies on this forum. Some of you seem a little upset.
Every poster on this board is an expert in movies and music.

HTH
Professor Frick
AG
Except for the ones who have a posting history that proves they are definitely not.
Philo B 93
quote:
quote:
Every poster on this board is an expert in movies and music.

HTH

Correct answer. Seems that on an anonymous internet entertainment board there are no formal credentials necessary to label one an expert. But others get defensive about that word! "What makes HIM an expert?! I probably know more 80s pop culture than HIM!" #hurtfeelings

I wouldn't have gone there, but the thread was titled Oingo Boingo, which is a fictitious band from the 80s.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
quote:
Never heard of them.

Shut up millenial

GiveEmHellBill
AG
Here's what's important about Oingo Boingo:

If you have never heard of them before...do yourself a favor and watch these videos. They are/were a great band.

The only people on this thread who consider them "mildly unsuccessful" are those who admit to never hearing their music before. Everyone else on this thread would disagree.

BTW, as I'm typing this I'm watching Weird Science on BBC America and listening to Oingo Boingo sing the theme song right now.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
Surprised nobody has mentioned an all time classic in cinema.

Forbidden zone

Muy
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
How old are you?
Bingo. Anybody who's "knowledgeable in music" but never heard of Oingo Boingo is hovering around 25 AND doesn't know nearly as much about music as they think they do.

Or 55.

Well, unfortunately for your arguments, I'm just at half way between 25 and 55. So right in what appears to be the range of someone who should know who this is, according to a few of you.

I grew up in the 80s in a household that had radio on all day every weekend, and top 40 radio at that. My older brother had a cd collection that hit 1000 by the mid the 90s, and it was all 60s-80s. I've been in bands for over 10 years that played a huge variety of rock, pop and 80s.

I know a lot more about popular music than most. I have had several 80s compilation CDs in the past, and OB is not on any of them. I have made 80s playlists based on best of website lists, and OB has never shown up, and it's never come across my pandora stations either.

You're not gonna convince me this band is a household name. They are very mildly successful. Relatively obscure one might say.

If you were in high school or college in the 80's and didn't know of Oingo Boingo, you were living under a rock.
62strat
AG
Well, I was in grade school in the 80s, soo....
Philo B 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
How old are you?
Bingo. Anybody who's "knowledgeable in music" but never heard of Oingo Boingo is hovering around 25 AND doesn't know nearly as much about music as they think they do.

Or 55.

Well, unfortunately for your arguments, I'm just at half way between 25 and 55. So right in what appears to be the range of someone who should know who this is, according to a few of you.

I grew up in the 80s in a household that had radio on all day every weekend, and top 40 radio at that. My older brother had a cd collection that hit 1000 by the mid the 90s, and it was all 60s-80s. I've been in bands for over 10 years that played a huge variety of rock, pop and 80s.

I know a lot more about popular music than most. I have had several 80s compilation CDs in the past, and OB is not on any of them. I have made 80s playlists based on best of website lists, and OB has never shown up, and it's never come across my pandora stations either.

You're not gonna convince me this band is a household name. They are very mildly successful. Relatively obscure one might say.

If you were in high school or college in the 80's and didn't know of Oingo Boingo, you were living under a rock.

Spent 3 years at Grand Lakes University before transferring to A&M. Of course I knew them.
Serious Lee
im glad i was able to generate such a popular discussion. Couple things, yes i was alive in the 80s, and yes im aware of who danny elfman is. He composed the score for Men In Black which put him on my map.

The "werewolf song" as i call it from texas chainsaw massacre 2 intro'd me to the group though. I just recently expanded to the rest of their collection.

I think we can all agree on one thing, they are a severely underrated band!
captkirk
AG
Steve Bartek (the other genius behind Oingo Boingo) still works with Elfman on the movie scores. The band just got smaller and moved on to bigger things.
Ringo88
AG
Captkirk,
I'll respectfully add "Midnight Run" to the movie soundtrack list; the instrumental theme was Elfman's chorus to the O-B song "Try to Believe".

Also, I believe the answer to the "success" question can be found in the acknowledged fact that they "put out 8 albums". Platinum or Gold records aside, NO RECORD COMPANY is going to put out 8 of your albums if they're not selling.
They were successful, and they were not obscure in the least. High school and B/CS filled the decade for me. Most everyone in that time period knew who they were.
62strat
AG
quote:
Also, I believe the answer to the "success" question can be found in the acknowledged fact that they "put out 8 albums". Platinum or Gold records aside, NO RECORD COMPANY is going to put out 8 of your albums if they're not selling.
Not to derail completely, but those 8 albums were released by 3 different record companies, (A&M was 1-3, MCA 4-7 and Giant records #8) That actually supports my stance; the labels gave up on them after a few records because they weren't successful.

Look at some crappy band like Anvil.. They have like 15 albums, they suck, hardly sell any albums, but some label is releasing their music. After a few albums that label says ok we're done, and Anvil finds another label. repeat. # of albums released =/= indication of success.

It's all relative; you could say that Anvil is successful, hell they've got 15 albums over almost 40 years and are still going... that's successful right? But they probably still tour in vans, and no doubt they all have crappy day jobs because there is no income from Anvil. If that's considered 'success' in the music biz, I'd rather be in the office.

No way of knowing, but I bet these guys in Oingo Boingo still had day jobs. They never toured (just the random shows in So-Cal), and albums that sell 100k-300k don't generate hardly any money for a band, let alone a 7-9 piece band. Bands get pennies from albums sold, so even say 25 cents for 9 dudes from a gold album is ~$14k a year.

Day job while you're in a band =/= success.

Professor Frick
AG
On the radar of the average college kid at A&M and not a country act = success.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
quote:
Not to derail completely, but those 8 albums were released by 3 different record companies, (A&M was 1-3, MCA 4-7 and Giant records #8) That actually supports my stance; the labels gave up on them after a few records because they weren't successful.

Look at some crappy band like Anvil.. They have like 15 albums, they suck, hardly sell any albums, but some label is releasing their music. After a few albums that label says ok we're done, and Anvil finds another label. repeat. # of albums released =/= indication of success.

It's all relative; you could say that Anvil is successful, hell they've got 15 albums over almost 40 years and are still going... that's successful right? But they probably still tour in vans, and no doubt they all have crappy day jobs because there is no income from Anvil. If that's considered 'success' in the music biz, I'd rather be in the office.

No way of knowing, but I bet these guys in Oingo Boingo still had day jobs. They never toured (just the random shows in So-Cal), and albums that sell 100k-300k don't generate hardly any money for a band, let alone a 7-9 piece band. Bands get pennies from albums sold, so even say 25 cents for 9 dudes from a gold album is ~$14k a year.

Day job while you're in a band =/= success.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.