Debut trailer for LA LA LAND (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone)

30,164 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JYDog90
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Freaking loved that song.
wesag
AG
Casey Affleck could kick Ryan Goslings ass.
VanZandt92
Jim01 said:

If you haven't seen this. Pretty much how I feel when I hear anybody say they didn't like it or just thought it was ok.

Dang that was awesome. I fell asleep also. What was this dancing on a bridge scene? Mustve been while I was watching basketball on my phone.
wesag
AG
Man bump this *****. Surely there is so much more to talk about with this movie.
sichair
AG
This movie is up for best of the year? Meh.
Tanya 93
An original musical is about to cross the 100 million mark in modern day America
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just came on here to say that Van Zandt is like the unfunny version of red stone.
bagger05
AG
Just got out of the theater. I enjoyed it, but from the very beginning I felt that it was VERY heavy handed.

From the word go, I felt that it was working a formula: make award voters feel nostalgic and important. It felt to me like the goal of the film wasn't to tell a story so much as to make every actor walk out of the theater thinking to themselves, "I remember when I thought I wasn't going to make it. Yes, I pursued my dreams, but at what cost? People who haven't been here and put themselves on the line will just never understand what it's like."

I admit that I went into this looking through the lens of this movie being the Oscar front runner. Had I seen it earlier, it might not have come across that way. But under the circumstances, I continuously felt like it was pandering to a very specific audience to achieve a very specific end.

I did enjoy the movie overall, though. Onto the good:

I thought the music and lyrics were fantastic. Hallmark of a good musical is if you walk out of the theater whistling and this checked that box.

Gosling and Stone have fantastic chemistry. The scene where they're both singing at the piano was my favorite of the movie.

I thought Stone was good but Gosling was better. I'm not a close follower of his work, but I've seen him in a few things and this was the first time I walked away thinking that he stole the show. I know many people thought Emma Stone was better, but I thought Gosling nailed it.

It was just fun. They sang and danced. Dresses twirled, costumes were great, sets were cool.

I'd recommend it. I would be shocked if it doesn't win Best Picture.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

It felt to me like the goal of the film wasn't to tell a story so much as to make every actor walk out of the theater thinking to themselves, "I remember when I thought I wasn't going to make it. Yes, I pursued my dreams, but at what cost? People who haven't been here and put themselves on the line will just never understand what it's like."
So the movie was made for a few hundred people alone? I think you are trying to hard.
TCTTS
AG
A few hundred? You really have no idea how many people this town spits out on a daily basis, do you?
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

It felt to me like the goal of the film wasn't to tell a story so much as to make every actor walk out of the theater thinking to themselves, "I remember when I thought I wasn't going to make it. Yes, I pursued my dreams, but at what cost? People who haven't been here and put themselves on the line will just never understand what it's like."
I read that he thought the movie was made for people who pursued their dreams, made it as an actor, and sacrificed a "normal life" for it. The actors who make it is only a few hundred, those who didn't make it are countless.
Maybe I misread his opinion.
TCTTS
AG
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I read it wrong.
bagger05
AG
Quad Dog said:

Quote:

So the movie was made for a few hundred people alone? I think you are trying to hard.
"Goal" is the wrong word. I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was lots of fun. Going into it I was wondering why it got so many Oscar nominations, and from very early on it was very clear why the Academy liked it so much. Regardless of whether they were doing it on purpose, I thought it came across to me as fairly heavy handed Hollywood self-aggrandizement.
Quad Dog
AG
Releasing an original movie musical in 2016 was a crazy big risk. It's just more fun, and easier, to watch an actor or musician struggle then catch a break and make a decision that changes their life. Wouldn't be as much fun if it were an accountant, engineer, or doctor. That doesn't mean it is a case of Hollywood loving themselves.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
bagger05 said:

Quad Dog said:

Quote:

Regardless of whether they were doing it on purpose, I thought it came across to me as fairly heavy handed Hollywood self-aggrandizement.

If it's not on purpose, it sounds to me more like romanticizing Hollywood rather than self-aggrandizement of it.

I'm thinking of seeing it again today. Having seen it on the day after Christmas, it'll be interesting now to see it through the aforementioned Oscar lens.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, didn't have a great night at the SAG Awards. And those are probably a better indicator of how the Oscars will go than the Golden Globes.

Other than Emma Stone, it didn't win any major awards.
Jim01
AG
It had a great night at SAG I would say. Emma won, cementing her as the favorite for the Oscar. Gosling was never in contention. And La La Land isn't the kind of movie that would ever win the big SAG award. SAG is about breadth more so that depth. A movie like La La Land with basically two actors in the entire movie is not going to win an ensemble award like the SAG. It always is more about movies like Hidden Figures, Birdman, The Help, etc. movies that are true ensemble movies with half a dozen or more meaty roles.
mike_ags_fan12
Saw the movie last night and personally dubbed it the Oscar winner For best picture. Lala Land is great.

Have seen 2 other nominees and they should fall respectively second (Hell or High Water) and third (Manchester By The Sea)
wesag
AG
Oh glad to see this bumped. In 10 years nobody will remember
3rdGen2015
AG
wesag said:

Oh glad to see this bumped. In 10 years nobody will remember

Sorry, do you not like this movie?
Professor Frick
AG
At this point I'm convinced wesag came home early one day and caught LaLa Land in bed with his wife.
TCTTS
AG
wesag is clearly a failed tap dancer.
PatAg
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Hated La La land. HAted it
God you and wesag are unbearable in this thread. Is something going wrong in your personal life?
Human
AG
Tried watching it but had to turn it off.

Unbearable
TP Ag '87
AG
"Hating La La Land" has obviously become cool and a badge of courage.

Geez. IT'S A FRIGGIN' MOVIE.
TCTTS
AG
Human is one of the most worthless posters on the Entertainment board. To the point where I'm almost sure he comes here just to troll.
chipotle
Somebody doesn't like LA LA Land! SWARM! SWARM!
Human
AG
TCTTS said:

Human is one of the most worthless posters on the Entertainment board. To the point where I'm almost sure he comes here just to troll.

I don't like a movie that everyone likes and that's called being a Troll? What are you, the Donald Trump of this board?

Truth be told I abhor musicals - can't stand them. I tried giving this movie a chance, had to stop after the. Lamp Post number.

Get off your high horse.
Skitch05
AG
It's still in theaters....how did you "turn it off"?
Human
AG
Amazon FireStick
KODI
Titanium

Google is your friend
Sazerac
AG
Also a thief. Strike 2.
Sex Panther
AG
Aren't you the guy that constantly comes on here saying that people who like movies are dumb and we're all idiots?
Nah, why would anyone accuse you of trolling...
TP Ag '87
AG
56,000+ posts.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo. I wasn't even referring to his La La Land comments, specifically. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him pop in a thread and do an insulting variation of, "Why do people even watch movies?"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.