Debut trailer for LA LA LAND (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone)

30,141 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JYDog90
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If there's a way to see only his Entertainment board posts, you'll see what we're talking about. It's super strange.
TP Ag '87
AG
Will take your word for it. The new Ignore feature is a wonderful thing.
Skitch05
AG
I'm a software engineer / VFX TD who used to work for an animation studio (with several other good Ags) that shut down a couple years back. There were a multitude of reasons that contributed to the closure, but decreased profit from pirated movies certainly didn't help. I am well aware of how one can watch movies illegally, my question was mostly rhetorical. Also, I'm fully aware I am probably getting trolled on this.

Anyways, I did really enjoy this movie. It is always nice to see something different on screen and this was definitely different than most of the stuff out now. It also hit home for me, as I switched from the entertainment industry to another industry after the previously mentioned studio closure despite loving working on films. It was the choice of moving my family to another new location not knowing when we might have to move again, or taking the safe route and switching industries. I don't regret the choice, but there is always that question of 'what if we had chosen differently'.
Philip J Fry
AG
Didn't hate it. Thought it was more of a circle jerk to LA and Hollywood than anything else. It was just okay and likely will never watch it again. Definitely overrated for the number of oscar nominations it's getting.
PatAg
AG
I think the nominations are warranted, but I would be surprised to see it win more than a couple like one of the two will win for actings, and probably music, cinematography.

I really enjoyed it and it was very well done.

I also dont see it as "circle jerking Hollywood" but maybe I'm just not cynical enough. Isn't Hollywood itself a kind of romantic idea?
Philip J Fry
AG
Those in Hollywood would like to think so. That's what makes it a circle jerk.
chipotle
No where near the circle jerk Hugo was.
MooreTrucker
AG
Saw it last night. My wife LOVED it. I thought it was OK. I'm not a big Emma fan, though, and whatever song it was that I was supposed to be whistling on the way out didn't hook with me.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Saw this today. I thought it was really good. Not sure if it's Best Picture since I haven't seen all off the nominated films. I thought the direction was great however; very well-done and consistently interesting. Overall very enjoyable.

I'm also not sure it's a Hollywood circle jerk to the degree of something like The Artist. It's definitely romantic, but I think it highlights just enough of the negatives to balance it out a little bit. Kind of like Cafe Societe.
Jim01
AG
Snuck away for a 10:00 matinee. I just had to see it a second time on the big screen.

Moonlight was great, my #3 of the year and deserving but this is my best picture. Honestly maybe one of my favorite movies ever. Just smiling the entire time, tears when not. Music is just fantastic. Directing is lights out. Emma Stone is unspeakably charming.

It's just So. Damn. Good.
wesag
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Didn't hate it. Thought it was more of a circle jerk to LA and Hollywood than anything else. It was just okay and likely will never watch it again. Definitely overrated for the number of oscar nominations it's getting.

It was also 30 m too long.
TXAG 05
AG
Just saw it. Thought it was good, but not great. Liked the colors/visuals but nothing very memorable for me.
Living Legend
AG
I just watched it several times over the past few days. I don't understand the "it's a circle jerk to hollywood" comments.

Overall, i thought the movie was just okay. It is not a movie I would pay to watch again, if it was on tv or got added to a streaming service I might watch, but other than that, no..
wesag
AG
Living Legend said:

I just watched it several times over the past few days. I don't understand the "it's a circle jerk to hollywood" comments.

Overall, i thought the movie was just okay. It is not a movie I would pay to watch again, if it was on tv or got added to a streaming service I might watch, but other than that, no..

Even people who liked it thought it a Hollywood circle j.
wesag
AG
Jim01 said:

Snuck away for a 10:00 matinee. I just had to see it a second time on the big screen.

Moonlight was great, my #3 of the year and deserving but this is my best picture. Honestly maybe one of my favorite movies ever. Just smiling the entire time, tears when not. Music is just fantastic. Directing is lights out. Emma Stone is unspeakably charming.

It's just So. Damn. Good.

Are you bipolar?
BassCowboy33
wesag said:

Living Legend said:

Even people who liked it thought it a Hollywood circle j.

The Dave Matthews Band of movies.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Bump, read the thread.

Fantastic movie. I'm hoping that between Taylor Sheriden and Damien chazelle there are many more original movies like this coming down the pike.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
VanZandt92 said:

Hated La La land. HAted it

And this guy is an insufferable *****.
EffLibStaff
**** the statist piece of **** brandon jones. **** liberals and **** human trash like him.

[Never voted (D) in any election and thought Reagan was too far left.

You're still banned. -Staff]
Redstone
AG
It's still wholly outrageous how much vitriol Moonlight received and how badly La LA Land whitewashed LA - not unlike Her, where the Latin(x) community literally received no representation at all.

The Academy does seem to be diversifying, fortunately, although American audiences remain problematic in their opinions.
Malachi Constant
AG
Did anyone notice the actor who played Emma Stone's husband was Tom Everett Scott? It's funny because he's the drummer in "That Thing You Do!" and his character is obsessed with jazz. That casting decision had to be on purpose, right?

Also, just got around to seeing this. Yeah it's a little rah-rah Hollywood, but the whole idea is nastalgia. Emma Stone's "One Woman Show" was all about nastalgia (as stated explicitly by Gosling's character) and that just what this picture was about: making you feel nastalgic for old Hollywood musicals and how fun going to the movies used to be (and sometimes still is).
PatAg
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Did anyone notice the actor who played Emma Stone's husband was Tom Everett Scott? It's funny because he's the drummer in "That Thing You Do!" and his character is obsessed with jazz. That casting decision had to be on purpose, right?

Also, just got around to seeing this. Yeah it's a little rah-rah Hollywood, but the whole idea is nastalgia. Emma Stone's "One Woman Show" was all about nastalgia (as stated explicitly by Gosling's character) and that just what this picture was about: making you feel nastalgic for old Hollywood musicals and how fun going to the movies used to be (and sometimes still is).
I AM SPARTACUS
TCTTS
AG
I've been catching big chunks of it on HBO lately and I have to say, this movie gets even better on repeat viewings. Definitely wan't expecting that.
Jim01
AG
Agreed. I've watched 4 Times front to back and it's rocketed to short list of all time movies for me. So damn good.
JYDog90
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Bump. Ok, I watched this movie last night for the first time.

I love that they put a likable guy like Tom Everett Scott in the role of the husband because it enables the viewer to embrace both lives/outcomes. It has a Sliding Doors feel to it that is more respectful of the viewer's emotions.

I just came back to this thread and read it for the first time.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Duncan Idaho
This movie was the best "love song" written to LA I've seen.

Just great all around. Sweet but not saccharin sweet. Whimsical but not cheesy.

I said this before but this movie does a better job of catching the unique magic of a date night in the foothills of LA than anything in have ever seen. The only thing that comes close is Lyle Lovett's "LA county"
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I am so excited to be "that guy" on an Entertainment board thread and confirm that my wife and I turned this movie off after 10 minutes and watched something else.
JYDog90
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I am so excited to be "that guy" on an Entertainment board thread and confirm that my wife and I turned this movie off after 10 minutes and watched something else.
Formerly Willy Wonka

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.