Debut trailer for LA LA LAND (Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone)

30,167 Views | 236 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JYDog90
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Again, his wardrobe works in the world of the movie. Was basically just half-joking in pointing out that no one with those kind of looks ever dresses like that in real life.
Duncan Idaho
So you are saying I have to be ugly because I have a fee pairs of spectator shoes?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I'm just saying none of us are Ryan Gosling.
hurleyag
AG
Now how do you know Gosling doesn't post on the Entertainment board?
schmendeler
AG
wait, I haven't rewatched the trailer, does the movie not take place in the 50's? I just assumed from the pic that he's wearing period appropriate clothes.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, no. Present day. But a heightened, slightly more stylistic, present-day.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, no. Present day. But a heightened, slightly more stylistic, present-day.
ah, so he's (his character) one of those weird people.
TCTTS
AG
Bingo.
Muy
AG
To make this Aggie related, a friend who went to A&M has been posting about this movie for awhile, excited that two of the 3 producers (twins) are her cousins. Guess we'll need to go watch this now.
TajMaballer
AG
Incredible movie! As soon as it was done, I downloaded the album.

Between this and Moonlight for Best Picture at the Oscars. For me, this is my favorite movie of the year and was more enjoyable than Moonlight, but Moonlight was so interesting. Both fantastic movies.
TCTTS
caleblyn
I ran into Stone on Liberty Island 2 years ago. Nice young lady.
Sex Panther
AG
FOCUS thread... and give us details
rhutton125
AG
Man.

This movie ****ed me up for a good 30 minutes hahaha. I don't know why, it just hit home when the movie was over. So bittersweet.

Pretty great film.
Ag Since 83
AG
Just saw this one and loved it. Can't think of a more enjoyable moment in a film this year than Ryan Gosling playing keytar in an '80s cover band.
schmendeler
AG
I thought it was ok. Might enjoy more on subsequent viewings. I'd sill recommend it to someone that enjoyed musicals, but it wasn't the transcendent movie experience I was hoping for. At least on my first watch.
Jim01
AG
Holy hell I LOVED this movie. I was honestly just smiling the entire time. So GD charming. Stone and Gosling are great.

Not sure I can remember a writer/director coming out of the gate better than this. Two amazing films.

I've seen all three in the horse race and to me it's:
1. La LA Land
2. Manchester By The Sea
3. Moonlight

I think he might win best director as well. Both will getting acting nominations but I don't think either will win. Affleck will and should win Best Actor but I would vote for Stone if I had a vote.

I am a guy who wishes he had gone to film school if I could go back in time so the story of struggling artists in LA is something I hugely romantise.

All the songs were great. Stones last song was amazingly emotional. And the ending was perfect. That last smile I'd the reason Gosling was the perfect choice. He is the strong silent type who can pull it off and gives so much meaning and charm to that little half smile.

Like TCTTS said it was just so well done. So man little things I loved. Like I said I was just smiling the entire time.

In the Clear Lake area of Houston the 7:15 was packed.
TCTTS
AG
So great to hear.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
Saw it on Monday and absolutely loved it. The music has been such a welcome replacement for all the Christmas earworms I couldn't get rid of till I pulled the soundtrack up on Spotify.

Emma Stone is just so damn irresistibly cute/talented/charming/everything and was the perfect choice for this movie, along with Gosling. Speaking of, a non-piano-player hasn't done that convincing of a job since Troy McClure in "Stop the Planet of the Apes: I Want to Get Off!"

I think my favorite parts of the film were any of those long takes during dance numbers, especially the ones with lots of dancers and technicolor costumes. It was as much a spectacle as I've enjoyed in any sci-fi movie this year.

Man, Damien Chazelle has knocked me out between this and Whiplash, which became an instant favorite of mine when I finally got around to seeing it (the first of 4 times the last 4 months). And Justin Hurwitz with both soundtracks too (though not all the big band numbers in Whiplash) definitely has my attention going forward; I hope these two keep hooking up.
Jim01
AG
Really just been thinking about it all day. So f'ing good.

My current favorite moment (it changes pretty much every time I think of the movie):

When she goes back home and he gets the call from the casting director, they cut to a very still moment of her and her dad eating dinner. You wonder "Oh I bet he calls her..." but then that horn blasts. So perfect. And the entire audience just smiles and melts.
pb488
AG
saw this movie on Tuesday at Sundance Houston, and it keeps growing on me the more I've thought about it. the long takes, the filming locations, and the chemistry between Emma stone and gosling are just incredible. even the music, which I wasn't crazy about during or even the next day, has grown and there are multiple songs I can't get out of my head.

I loved whiplash as soon as the credits rolled. knowing it was the same director I was expecting the same with this one but it didn't happen immediately. now a few days on I would rank this one ahead of whiplash on my shortlist of favorite movies of the last 10 years.

highly recommended
G Martin 87
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

Emma Stone is just so damn irresistibly cute/talented/charming/everything and was the perfect choice for this movie, along with Gosling. Speaking of, a non-piano-player hasn't done that convincing of a job since Troy McClure in "Stop the Planet of the Apes: I Want to Get Off!"
That really was Ryan Gosling playing. He actually is a proficient jazz pianist.
G Martin 87
AG
We loved it, even though the ending had a very bittersweet feel to it. In fact, the movie that I was reminded of most during the "alternate ending" was Family Man. Mia and Seb shared a "glimpse" of what could have been.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Inspector Spacetime said:

That really was Ryan Gosling playing. He actually is a proficient jazz pianist.

"The piano was something that I always wished I had time to learn. In what other job is it a part of your job to just sit in front of a piano for three months and play? "It was really one of the most fulfilling pre-production periods I've ever had," Gosling reflected on his time learning the instrument.
TP Ag '87
AG
Wife and I saw this a couple of nights ago, largely due to the reviews here. She was wary of me actually wanting to go see a "musical."

We loved it. As others said, kinda hard not to smile throughout the whole thing.
RAMF 95
AG
TCTTS said it best, this movie was magical. So glad I saw it in the theater. So different from anything in its own genre and certainly different than anything else running. They took some chances to make this and I am happy that it is getting a positive response. Very touching and the music was fantastic.
RAMF 95
AG
I'd also add that I am very thankful for TCTTS's contributions on this board. I don't post on it often but lurk here daily. TCTTS always has solid thoughtful posts and I basically use him as our family guide to the movies. Thank you!
Quad Dog
AG
My wife and I saw this today while my mom still had the kids from NYE. It was just great movie magic. It felt like every musical number was an uncut shot. I don't think I've smiled that much in a movie in a long time. The beginning sequence until they break up was pure happiness. Then it became a brilliant piece on life, choices, and dreams.
My wife and I both turned to each other while walking out and admitted it felt like we should dance out. Then we went to lunch and had an adult conversation about choices and chances in life. The movie came up like 4 times.

Thank you for the recommendation.
TCTTS
AG
Man, that's so great to hear. No problem at all. I'm more than happy to be of help, and I love recommending whatever I can. It's one of the main reasons I enjoy posting here so much.
Sazerac
AG
As someone who likes musicals I was pretty underwhelmed. The music just wasn't that great - it was a amateurish - the sound wasn't good (voices too soft), and it was just a little flat, especially in the middle.
TCTTS
AG
I can see where you're coming from. It's definitely not the greatest musical ever made or anything like that. As someone who never watches musicals, it felt like more of a novelty to me, but stacked against other musicals, I can see how fans of the genre might be looking for a bit more.
Quad Dog
AG
I'll quote Alan Sepinwall:
Quote:

It's funny: neither the songs nor the singing of them are spectacular, yet it's still great as a musical b/c of the energy and love of it.
Wrec86 Ag
I loved it. My wife loved, then hated the movie. It was on pace to be her absolute favorite movie of all time with the dancing, clothes and overall style, but when it turned, so did she. (Under the spoiler tags will explain more). Between this and Whiplash, this director has my $10 until he proves me otherwise - he has two of my favorite endings in any movie.

Literally could not think of a better movie for my wife, and she was loving every second. As soon as it turned out that she married someone else, she got emotional and ended up hating it. She's convinced that the moral of the story is that you can't have dreams and love at the same time. Maybe she'll calm down in a couple of days, because we both loved it up until the turn.
VanZandt92
We're going to see this tomorrow on date night. Date night is a big deal around here.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.