***Mr Robot Season 2***

28,394 Views | 229 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sex Panther
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
As has been shown over the past decade, the Fed and treasury would just print more money in such a situation.
it's a little different to be sure

the entire middle class's liquid savings being vaporized would be approached very differently than how they dealt with the solvency crisis at the wall street/big bank level.

i really don't think they're going to take this in a direction where f society are the absolute good in the universe. at best, they'll get painted as useful idiots.
cone
AG
quote:
little occupy Wall Street fantasyland bubble.
$50 a day doesn't sound much like a fantasyland
cone
AG
quote:
Sure there are. Those cops killed in Dallas were heros.
you know what? you're right.

i think you should make an exhaustive list of heroes, starting here:
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
As has been shown over the past decade, the Fed and treasury would just print more money in such a situation.
it's a little different to be sure

the entire middle class's liquid savings being vaporized would be approached very differently than how they dealt with the solvency crisis at the wall street/big bank level.
The Fed has established itself an employment mandate (out of thin air). There is no doubt in my mind that the same Fed that printed $85B per month for nearly 8 years to keep the economy float and the unemployment rate low, would do the same in a Mr. Robot situation. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be the wrong thing to do. But our Fed chair(wo)men of late have proven themselves to be that idiotic.

quote:
i really don't think they're going to take this in a direction where f society are the absolute good in the universe. at best, they'll get painted as useful idiots.
They certainly aren't going that path now. Right now, the f-society is 100% virtue and E-corp is 100% evil.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
The fantasyland I speak of is the premise of the entire show, not just the $50. That there is a conspiracy at the top to keep the little man down. That large corporations are evil and the masters of everybody. That occupy wall street types have a clue on economics and how to solve the problems of the world. That if only we had some mass-redistribution then the injustices of the world would be rectified, etc.
TEX465
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The fantasyland I speak of is the premise of the entire show, not just the $50. That there is a conspiracy at the top to keep the little man down. That large corporations are evil and the masters of everybody. That occupy wall street types have a clue on economics and how to solve the problems of the world. That if only we had some mass-redistribution then the injustices of the world would be rectified, etc.
Yep. I watched one episode and I'm done. The premise is too deeply flawed for the few interesting aspects to compensate.
et98
AG
quote:
quote:
Too bad the writing sucks. It's a blatant ripoff of Fight Club, except that the characters are laughably shallow. I pulled my eyerolling muscles during the whole whiterose meeting. "My time is so precious, I'll give you 3 minutes while talking cryptically as possible" LOL. The E-corp bad guys come straight out of a Steven Seagal movie and I was only slightly surprised, they didn't show them serving babies as snacks at board meetings. While the hackers are unquestionably virtuous and smart. No middleground. It's like captain planet for grown ups.

Politics-wise, the short shortsightedness of the writers is astounding. In addition to wiping out debt, guess what else gets wiped out? Savings. Not just personal life savings of individuals, but accounts uses by large and small businesses alike. They would all be screwed. Companies would go under, or would lay off much of their workforce (and guess who would get laid off first rich or poor?) In addition, most of the poor do not own homes. The middle class and rich do. So they'd get their houses for free while the poor would be stuck paying higher rent. So the poor would be SCREWED by these dumbass hackers.

This show would have redeemed itself somewhat if they had showed the results hack backfiring (as would really happen), that the E-corp dudes were really average joes like the rest of us, had the hackers realize they were naive and had made a huge mistake, etc. You know, make the plot and characters realistic. But no, it looks like they aren't going to go that way.

I don't see it that way at all.

I think the writers are presenting both groups to be horrible people, they're all villains, and they're all bad at solving the economic problems of the world.

The F Society is not being presented as virtuous & smart. They're led by a crazy person, and when i say "crazy person," I mean a delusional schizophrenic type of crazy person. And it's not even the actual person who was leading F Society, it was his criminally insane alter ego that doesn't even exist.

The rest of the group is filled with infighting and loose cannons who murder people in cold blood, and practice a mob mentality with no self control or ability to lead the group as a whole. The person filling in as the leader is clueless, and I'm not completely sold on her 100% sanity either. F Society is a total cluster****.

F Society did this "wonderful" Occupy Wall Street thing and essentially destroyed the economy. The economy is in shambles even for the poor and the middle class, and I imagine we'll see it get even worse with every new thing they do.

While the E-Corp top execs clearly are portrayed as evil, I don't think everyone in the organization is being shows that way. With the exception of about 5 executives, 99.9% of the E-Corp employees come across as average joes just trying to do their jobs and get by. And the most recent episode seemed to plant the seeds for a change in focus to portray the E-Corp C-Suite executives as more sympathetic and into being rather normal themselves. "Just normal people capable of doing extraordinary things" was the phrase I believe that was used. I don't know for sure if the writers will go this route, and if they do, it will likely be a very slow & gradual process.

As viewers, we need to remember that we're watching this show through the lens of a crazy person. Just because the narrator describes something as "good," it doesn't mean the writers see it the same way. Afterall, the narrator is completely insane.
cone
AG
I'm kinda fascinated at the timeline the writers adopt from completion of the hack to martial law

Because that's the logical unavoidable outcome

But how long can the government keeps things going before people panic
Duncan Idaho
quote:

As viewers, we need to remember that we're watching this show through the lens of a crazy person. Just because the narrator describes something as "good," it doesn't mean the writers see it the same way. Afterall, the narrator is completely insane.

well said
aTmAg
AG
quote:
I don't see it that way at all.

I think the writers are presenting both groups to be horrible people, they're all villains, and they're all bad at solving the economic problems of the world.

The F Society is not being presented as virtuous & smart. They're led by a crazy person, and when i say "crazy person," I mean a delusional schizophrenic type of crazy person. And it's not even the actual person who was leading F Society, it was his criminally insane alter ego that doesn't even exist.

The rest of the group is filled with infighting and loose cannons who murder people in cold blood, and practice a mob mentality with no self control or ability to lead the group as a whole. The person filling in as the leader is clueless, and I'm not completely sold on her 100% sanity either. F Society is a total cluster****.

F Society did this "wonderful" Occupy Wall Street thing and essentially destroyed the economy. The economy is in shambles even for the poor and the middle class, and I imagine we'll see it get even worse with every new thing they do.

While the E-Corp top execs clearly are portrayed as evil, I don't think everyone in the organization is being shows that way. With the exception of about 5 executives, 99.9% of the E-Corp employees come across as average joes just trying to do their jobs and get by. And the most recent episode seemed to plant the seeds for a change in focus to portray the E-Corp C-Suite executives as more sympathetic and into being rather normal themselves. "Just normal people capable of doing extraordinary things" was the phrase I believe that was used. I don't know for sure if the writers will go this route, and if they do, it will likely be a very slow & gradual process.

I had a response, but I accidentally hit cancel.

In short, Elliot is clearly presented as a sympathetic character. He is the "genius" who is "saving the world". His alter ego is an antagonist, but clearly we are supposed to root for Elliot over him and E-corp. The show presents a bunch of protestors always on the side of f-society, never once against them from what I could tell. The random shoe salesman who sold Angela her shoes bashed her for working for E-corp. He didn't not bash f-society.

And I cannot remember a single person that f-society supposedly had killed. We don't know who killed Romero yet. Yet E-corp has killed a bunch (and the execs is what I'm talking about.. the show's agenda is how the execs in corporate America are evil).

And not everything is presented through Elliot's point of view. There is a ton shown without him even there, and the presentation is always the same.
Bunk Moreland
good lord. Again with this *****
aTmAg
AG
quote:
good lord. Again with this *****
I wasn't here the first time.

And whether or not you like the discussion is irrelevant to the validity of it.
TelcoAg
AG
Man, I can't think of one time in real life when a corporation actually did try to keep the little guy down.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have many cigarettes to smoke per doctors orders.
aTmAg
AG
I can't think of a time where government tried to keep the little man down. Except slavery, Jim Crow laws, inner city schools, instituted government dependency, increasing college prices, etc.

(all supported by the preferred party of Occupy Wall Street)
cone
AG
was the narrator the hero in fight club?

was fight club good or bad?
cone
AG
was gavrilo princip a hero?
TelcoAg
AG
The solution here isn't difficult: Don't watch the show.

It's just a television show. If you don't enjoy it, turn it off. It'll be ok.
Duncan Idaho
This show sucks so much that I binged the entire first season over the weekend.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Too bad this idea sucks. It's a blatant rip-off of like minded posts on threads of other TV shows I ***** about re: politics. I pulled my eyerolling muscles when I saw the part about not watching the show. This idea comes straight from the notion that our time has real value, and I should measure that against whether or not to watch the show. It's like TV for grown ups.

The shortsightedness of this line of thinking that we simply not watch a show we don't or can't enjoy is astounding.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
was the narrator the hero in fight club?

was fight club good or bad?
I never read the book, but if I remember right, in the movie the audience has no idea that he's in charge of a terrorism group until he figures it out and then after that point he is trying to stop it. So he's definitely the good guy.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
was gavrilo princip a hero?
I would not be a fan of a TV show about him that makes him look like he's a hero either.
cr0wbar
AG
I wish the last page and a half of this thread were gone. You guys could **** up a wet dream
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Too bad this idea sucks. It's a blatant rip-off of like minded posts on threads of other TV shows I ***** about re: politics. I pulled my eyerolling muscles when I saw the part about not watching the show. This idea comes straight from the notion that our time has real value, and I should measure that against whether or not to watch the show. It's like TV for grown ups.

The shortsightedness of this line of thinking that we simply not watch a show we don't or can't enjoy is astounding.

You lost me somewheres along the path of this rambling.

aTmAg
AG
quote:

I liked the computer aspect of season 1 (despite pulling my eye rolling muscles on everything else). I also like the production value of this show. Like how they really don't have a standard theme song, but just roll into the title and whatnot. I also watched 24 despite pulling my eye rolling muscles on the computers parts. There is good and bad of each show. If there are enough good parts, I keep watching. If not, then I stop.

If season 2 doesn't improve, then I'll probably stop.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
This show sucks so much that I binged the entire first season over the weekend.
I wanted to give it a chance. I was hoping they would discover how naive they were and realize how they made a huge mistake.
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
quote:

TelcoAg
AG
Fair enough. I don't understand what you're exactly arguing against though (which could be my fault here).

I don't understand why a show produced purely for it's entertainment value should meet a standard of being fair and balanced politically. But maybe that's not what you were angling at.

I saw this whole f-society, me against E-corp story, being built from the roots of him working for e-corp in security. At no point did I get the impression that he started working for E-corp just to pull this off. There's kind of a neat balance of skill and luck in how all of this gets pulled together.
cone
AG
here's a tip: just stop watching now cuz you aren't going to like it no matter what
cone
AG
anyways I like the show and **** you if you don't like it
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Fair enough. I don't understand what you're exactly arguing against though (which could be my fault here).
2 things:

1) The characters are sorta shallow. They are either merely good for goodness sake or bad for badness sake. What make shows like the Wire & BB so good is that the characters are complex. Conflict in those shows occur when characters self interests oppose each other. Not just because. (That whiterose character was THE WORST)

2) It gets old when shows get evangelical on politics. People who write these shows are experts at story telling, but not economics, politics, or history. Yet not only do they preach their ideology, they make sure to insult those who disagree with them at every opportunity. I like that they went and got computer experts to make that part more realistic, but I wish they did the same on economics.

quote:
I don't understand why a show produced purely for it's entertainment value should meet a standard of being fair and balanced politically. But maybe that's not what you were angling at.
I can understand characters in the show thinking and talking like the f-society dudes do. There certainly are people who think that (Occupy Wall Street), and it makes sense to have characters in a show portray that. BUT, it's BS to also write the E-corp dudes as if they were soap opera villains. Contrary to what this show seems to imply, no CEO goes out and asks, "how can I be evil today?" There are geniuses and idiots as well as virtuous and malicious people on both sides and in every aspects of life. This show does not come close to portraying that accurately.

quote:
I saw this whole f-society, me against E-corp story, being built from the roots of him working for e-corp in security. At no point did I get the impression that he started working for E-corp just to pull this off. There's kind of a neat balance of skill and luck in how all of this gets pulled together.
Actually, he worked for AllSafe, not E-corp.
TelcoAg
AG
Yes, he worked for AllSafe, but for all intents and purposes he worked for E-corp since it appears he had unfettered access to their infrastructure and that E-corp had limited to no internal security staffing.

That's why a big part of this seems like a crime of opportunity.

I can agree that some of the characters are overdramatized, but I would disagree that many of them aren't extremely complex. The CEO, Price, seemed to get more complex as the season went on. He seemed to be just a stone-cold business man.
Morpholino
AG
quote:
Just finally watched the s2 eps. Been really busy and they were burning a hole in my dvr.

Good start to the season. The whole f society signage at the arcade was annoying me so much, and while at least the fbi agent gave us a "gotta be F'ing kidding me" obvious reaction.... That's the biggest criminal enterprise on earth. Within hours of the first major coverage of their name, multiple citizens would have reported that signage.

I know it's minor but that had been annoying the crap out of me.

I was thinking that, too. But I gave the show the benefit of the doubt with the area having pretty low traffic going through. Plus the people who did travel through, they were probably locals who knew the building as "Fun Society" beforehand and didn't think twice when the -UN fell off.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Just finally watched the s2 eps. Been really busy and they were burning a hole in my dvr.

Good start to the season. The whole f society signage at the arcade was annoying me so much, and while at least the fbi agent gave us a "gotta be F'ing kidding me" obvious reaction.... That's the biggest criminal enterprise on earth. Within hours of the first major coverage of their name, multiple citizens would have reported that signage.

I know it's minor but that had been annoying the crap out of me.
I wish you hadn't mentioned that because I didn't even think about it, but now it's gonna bug me. Someone most definitely would have noticed that, even out on Coney Island.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:
quote:

damn. I guess I was too subtle with the troll.
cone
AG

quote:
they were probably locals who knew the building as "Fun Society" beforehand and didn't think twice when the -UN fell off.
my thoughts as well

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.