Dark Tower movie still happening?

35,267 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
91_Aggie said:

I finally trudged my way through the final book.

What a huge mess of a horrible story.

Gunslinger, drawing of the three, and the one about his past in Mejis were the only interesting ones.

The other 4 books are just complete crap.

I just don't know how anyone could be a superfan of this. It took me about 6 weeks of trying to get through book 7... nothing in it made me want to keep reading... I only finished it because I had to see how bad the ending was.

Yep. bad.

I get it that he supposedly tied his entire "universe" together, but that was not what he intended in the first 2 books. Think he just got stuck and the thought "Oh, yeah... this is what I'll do" and then forced it all together.

Just a really bad story.

The man in black is made out to be the ultimate villain early on, then later he's just an after thought... and Oh, yeah... this character and this character and this other character all with other names was really the man in black... way after the fact

The crimson King... WTF. The ultimate bad guy... and all he has at his disposal is box of sneetches. Oh and he dies because some kid draws him and then erases him

Geez, that woman with cancer who wrote King back in the 90's wanting to know how it ended and King couldn't tell her because he had no idea what he was going to do. I think she would have been really disappointed had King been able to tell her that this was how it was going to end.

UGH!
Stephen King owes me a lot of time back.

And on that note, I think I'll start Audiobooks over again.

Seriously though, I don't think it's a series for everyone, or maybe even most people. But dammit I love it and I wish everyone else did as well.
91_Aggie
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

91_Aggie said:

UGH!
Stephen King owes me a lot of time back.
Hold my beer - Robert Jordan
At least we got an ending, and somewhat satisfactory. He may have meandered all over the place, but he did create a big world that actually had some depth to it.

Dark tower was just Stephen King's homage to himself.
cone
AG
books 5 and 6 were pretty meh

wizard and glass is all-time great
amercer
AG
The Waste Lands is probably the best thing King has ever written.

He even says so himself when he writes himself into the story--which is maybe the worst thing he's ever written.
zip90
AG
The trilogy of Drawing of the three, Wastelands, Wizard and Glass was incredible. some of the best I have ever read.

I just wonder what the rest of the series would have been had SK not been hit by a van in between writing book 4 and 5. because 5 and 6 were pretty bad. 7 seemed to come out of the funk, but not nearly as good as 2,3 &4.

mhayden
You guys disliked 7 a lot more than I did.

I thought everything was fine up until Patrick Danville/Crimson King... But crappy endings are to be expected from King.

Obviously he didn't write the lyrics, but I think it says something that every time I hear Reznor's "Hurt" I think of the final DT book.
cone
AG
91_Aggie
AG
free_mhayden said:

You guys disliked 7 a lot more than I did.

I thought everything was fine up until Patrick Danville/Crimson King... But crappy endings are to be expected from King.

Obviously he didn't write the lyrics, but I think it says something that every time I hear Reznor's "Hurt" I think of the final DT book.
Ugh... 7 just dragged on for no reason.

We did not need an entire chapter devoted on how deerskin blankets are made.

You can see even near the end that he still didn't know how to end it. Oh, no... let's walk to the Dark Tower instead of taking the truck (so I Stephen King can figure out how it is going to end while having them walk).

Oh, let's have Roland hide behind some pyramid of dirt and steel and fend off round after round of sneetches, so Stephen King can hopefully have an epiphany while writing all that to figure out how to end it).

Oh, yeah. let's color the bad guy's eyes red and make it hurt him/blind him... but then let's just erase him after doing that to kill him (why did his eyes need to be red then??!?!).

Oh look, Roland went in the tower. that's it.

Oh look, Susannah went to another New York and somehow Eddie and Jake have had some premonition of her. WHAT?!?!

Oh, look there is actually an ending for What Roland found in the tower... his life with each year of his life being on a differnet floor. Oh look at the top the whole cycle starts over with him chasing the man in black across the desert... of which the man in black is of no real importance after that first book.

ugh.

Yeah, I know... different people like different things. It is a matter of opinion... but this was just really bad.
Malachi Constant
AG
Yeah but he got that damn horn at the top of the tower, so things are going to be better this time.
KidDoc
AG
Trailer looked fairly good @ Spiderman yesterday. How many movies are they trying to split this into?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Murder Hornet
AG
Edited for spoiler tags.

It looks like there are parts of at least the first three books in this first movie. I don't know what their plans are for the series as a whole. Spoilers just in case

Jake entering Mid World through the door in the old house (The Drawing of the Three) and the Tick Tock Man/Lud (Wastelands)
KidDoc
AG
bthomas98 said:

Edited for spoiler tags.

It looks like there are parts of at least the first three books in this first movie. I don't know what their plans are for the series as a whole. Spoilers just in case

Jake entering Mid World through the door in the old house (The Drawing of the Three) and the Tick Tock Man/Lud (Wastelands)

Yeah I agree. Those are the best parts in the series IMO anyway, Wizard & Glass wasn't too bad either.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MASAXET
AG
Need advice:

I listened to the first book on audio. Is this a series that I need to listen to each book consecutively, or are there certain ones I can skip while still getting the gist? I'd like to get through the overall story points before the movie, but no way I will be able to hit each.

Thanks,
Murder Hornet
AG
You need to read them in order. If you really want the full experience, there are also several other books by King that are a part of the Dark Tower universe.
TX AG 88
AG
MASAXET said:

Need advice:

I listened to the first book on audio. Is this a series that I need to listen to each book consecutively, or are there certain ones I can skip while still getting the gist? I'd like to get through the overall story points before the movie, but no way I will be able to hit each.

Thanks,

If you made it thru the first book, it's smooth sailing from there. The first one was really dry (and, I believe, written early in his career.) The rest will grab you much more.
mhayden
I don't think I've ever been less excited about a movie made of a book I love.
TCTTS
AG
Again, I've never read the books, but I assume this is of interest...

Dro07
AG
is it going to be HBO? can't remember
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

Again, I've never read the books, but I assume this is of interest...

is this going to be at all linked to the movie?
mhayden
Written doesn't necessarily mean it's going to get aired. When the movie falls on it's face, my guess is that will put an end to the "franchise" for a while.
MW03
AG
MASAXET said:

Need advice:

Thanks,

The audiobooks are excellent in general, so i wouldn't skip around and just go chronologically. I don't think this is going to be a very honest take on the novels anyway. The previews feel more like a Dark Tower-esque movie as opposed to treating the source material as much like a screen play as possible.

Anyway, the first book is tough to slug through, and things really take off over the next book. I've read a lot of King over the years, and I personally think The Drawing of the Three, The Waste Lands, and Wizard and Glass are among King's strongest.
Cromagnum
AG
Just finished the final book. Wish I had stopped after Wizard and Glass. Books 5-7 were all pretty *****
amercer
AG
Cromagnum said:

Just finished the final book. Wish I had stopped after Wizard and Glass. Books 5-7 were all pretty *****

Yep
The Debt
I have never read these books, but I just saw the trailer and my peeps were wondering if it's horror or sci-fi. Decent question because Stephen King.

Is it scifi? Or a thriller?
schmendeler
AG
The Debt said:

I have never read these books, but I just saw the trailer and my peeps were wondering if it's horror or sci-fi. Decent question because Stephen King.

Is it scifi? Or a thriller?

Alternate dimensions with elements of fantasy and different timelines and technologies mixed
Murder Hornet
AG
Cromagnum said:

That sums it up for me as well. Finished just to complete the story but I read the last books without any of the enjoyment from the first ones.

KidDoc
AG
Tv series already in the works.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3447130/dark-tower-tv-series-will-origin-story-idris-elba/
mhayden
"in the works" used very cautiously. The first episode of one show has been written -- which probably wasn't too difficult with all the source material.

Unless the movie really takes off -- which I highly doubt it will -- this will get almost assuredly get scrapped.

The writing was on the wall last year when what was already a very late marketing push was essentially abandoned. Remember reading about some of the viral marketing that was being used for the film? Social media pages for certain companies and characters?

The Sombra Group app hasn't been updated since December... Facebook page went live in July 2016 and hasn't had an update since.

These were gimmicky things anyways -- but abandoning them is a good indicator that the studio decided this wasn't going to be what they had hoped.
MW03
AG
New trailer has me cautiously optimistic

mhayden
Still looks far too much like a super-hero movie to me. I'm intrigued by a lot of the scenes, but with a 95 minute run time, I just can't see things being very well fleshed out.

And I'm obviously a big fan of King's writing, but his endorsement means absolutely nothing - he's spoken out in support of almost every piece-of-crap of his they've put to celluloid... and the sole movie of his work he wasn't completely supportive of is far and away the greatest King adaptation (Kubrick's "The Shining").
TCTTS
AG
cone
AG
what a complete waste
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

sounds like a real cluster
PatAg
AG
I just don't get what is so hard for ****ing studio executives, producers, script writers, whoever is responsible, to just ADAPT the story that is already written. You dont need to add your own story, just edit/put together the existing story. You aren't ever going to do better.
MBAR
AG
I'm a huge DT fan, even the final 3 books which had some real **** elements, but I have zero faith in this film.

88 minute run time? LOL
PG-13? LOL
Black Roland? LOL

Sony excels at ****ing up movies right now, so I'm guessing we'll see a sub 20% RT score tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.