Dark Tower movie still happening?

35,304 Views | 281 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Anchor
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When is this scheduled to release? I am seeing Feb 2017. If so, trailer release?
israeliag
AG
quote:
I take back what I previously said about Elba being no Roland. Maybe not my first choice, but I am more excited for Elba as Roland than MM as Walter.

Looks like Wizard and Glass will be the companion TV show in 2018.
quote:
MRC and Sony Pictures, which is releasing the film, have committed not just to financing a pilot but a full run of between 10 and 13 episodes, depending on how the scripts and story arcs develop. The Dark Tower show will begin shooting in 2017 with plans to premiere it in 2018, ideally around the time the film becomes available on cable or streaming services.

This sentence does not make sense to me: "have committed not just to financing a pilot but a full run of between 10 and 13 episodes, depending on how the scripts and story arcs develop"

So they have not committed?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think the depending there is referring to how many episodes it will be.
BryanAggie2013
AG
I just finished up reading The Gunslinger and enjoyed it. So I'm going to try and read the series before the movie comes out. Should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole at the end, or between Wizard & Glass and Wolves of Calla?
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
I just finished up reading The Gunslinger and enjoyed it. So I'm going to try and read the series before the movie comes out. Should I read The Wind Through the Keyhole at the end, or between Wizard & Glass and Wolves of Calla?

Won't matter much, but may as well read them in between. Im just finishing up Wolves myself and have already read Wind through the keyhole.
Murder Hornet
AG
TC - any word on when a trailer might come out? This slated for a February release but very little marketing so far
mhayden
There was a leaked trailer, and it looked very...meh.

Definitely changing the story up -- this will be a "new cycle" of the wheel of Ka... if you will.
TCTTS
AG
I would say surely sometime this month, likely before Thanksgiving.
TCTTS
AG
Or not...

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/03/dark-tower-film-postponed-stephen-king
PatAg
AG
This seems like a bad omen.
israeliag
AG
Isn't a July opening >>> Feb opening? (In general - I know, I know: Deadpool)
Quincey P. Morris
AG
PatAg said:

I'd think that if it was for reshoots. I don't know anything about movie production but if it's for effects taking too long it sounds more like they got overly ambitious on the timeline or were doing something that was harder than they thought.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, this movie was made on the cheap, relatively speaking, and they just didn't have the cash to pay overtime for the effects to be done by February. That, and a July release is definitely a vote of confidence.
Damien Thorn
PatAg said:

No such thing.
mhayden
I don't have much hope that I'm going to be satisfied with this movie as a fan of the book.

My hope is that the movie is well done and well accepted enough to generate interest ($$$) in fleshing out the series more.
Murder Hornet
AG
This. I have very little hope that this movie will be what readers of the series expect. However, a series produced by HBO or Netflix could be bad ass
Cromagnum
AG
Im finishing the series now (100 pages into the final book). I can already tell its not going to close strong.

Then I hear the movie is cherry picking plot points and blending the timeline and Im not as enthused anymore. Sayre has no place in the first movie for instance. Im okay with casting Idris Elba for Roland although it will be a bit odd. Matthew Mcconaughey has no business as Walter though.
amercer
AG
People get mad on here when I point out that the last three books are garbage, but hey some people defend the Star Wars prequels too.....

King is my favorite author and he has a **** ton of great books, but he's not great at endings. So what happens when he tries to connect all 100,000 pages he's ever published into one story?

One of my favorite parts of the DT universe are the books (and short stories) he wrote in concurrently that tie into the series. Later of course he decided to tie in a lot more of his older works and some of that was less smooth. If you haven't read Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, Talisman/Black House, and Eyes of the Dragon, put down The Dark Tower and read those instead.
mhayden
Weird that people can have different opinions on things.
amercer
AG
Weird, and unacceptable. This is the interwebs after all.
TCTTS
AG
I know next to nothing about The Dark Tower, only that this debut poster is pretty damn sweet, if not a bit too Doctor Strange-esque. Either way, I'd say this mean the first trailer is right around the corner...

Cancelled
AG
With exception of Shawshank, I don't think King has ever had a good ending. I might be forgetting something.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
queso1 said:

With exception of Shawshank, I don't think King has ever had a good ending. I might be forgetting something.

Are you talking only about on screen or including books? I liked the ending of Salem's Lot but have never seen the tv version
Cancelled
AG
Im talking both. More so screen, but books too. I never read salems lot, but even his masterpiece It was ended pretty badly. I don't think it's that he can't finish a story, I don't think anyone can end his stories.
amercer
AG
His short stories have fine endings, and I don't think it's a coincidence that they have translated into better movies.
YouBet
AG
I think some people think IT ended badly partly because it's tied to Dark Tower and readers who have not read DT get this seemingly fantastical out of nowhere ending that doesn't seem to fit with the novel.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
YouBet said:

I think some people think IT ended badly partly because it's tied to Dark Tower and readers who have not read DT get this seemingly fantastical out of nowhere ending that doesn't seem to fit with the novel.

Was that connections always intended, though? It published in 1986. At that point, only the first Dark Tower book was out. I'm not sure it was until later that King decided to start connecting many of his novels in little ways. (It also has some significant references in 11/22/63)
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

YouBet said:

Was that connections always intended, though? It published in 1986. At that point, only the first Dark Tower book was out. I'm not sure it was until later that King decided to start connecting many of his novels in little ways. (It also has some significant references in 11/22/63)

I don't recall. I used to read King regliously and had a pretty extensive background on all of the novels connections and backstories but have forgotten much of it.

Edit: Eye of the Dragon was written in 1984 and had one of the most obvious tie ins to DT of any of the tertiary books so it's very conceivable this was intended in IT as well.
mhayden
Dark Tower was a solid way to tie in a lot of his other book's characters, but it's not a good excuse for King's lack of being able to close a story out.

It's not the origin of the It demon that makes the ending falter -- while the Lovecraftian "ancient creature that your mind simply can't comprehend" is certainly not original, that was never what made the first 9/10ths of King's stories brilliant anyway.

It's that he can be so detailed and everything moves at such a slow burn building up to this epic showdown, and then it's just tacked on.
YouBet
AG
Agreed. This is always the complaint about the Deus ex machina ending of The Stand for those that are annoyed by it.
MW03
AG
Awesome. I didn't even notice McConaughey upside down. What's more, they are walking to the Dark Tower in the negative space.

Rock1982
AG
amercer said:

. If you haven't read Insomnia, Hearts in Atlantis, Talisman/Black House, and Eyes of the Dragon, put down The Dark Tower and read those instead.

Hearts in Atlantis is so very good.
91_Aggie
AG
Ugh... I'm trudging my through this mess of a series in Song of Susannah.

I just can't imagine how they would make a movie of this convoluted, making it up as he goes, no idea what he wants the end to be, series.

But I've gone this far, so I'm gonna finish even though everyone has said the ending is not satisfying. At this point, just being able to have it completed will be satisfying.

Again, I ask, are there people that are like CRAZY NUTS over this series? I can see maybe someone enjoying it.... but are there rabid fans who think it is a masterpiece?
MW03
AG
91_Aggie said:

Ugh... I'm trudging my through this mess of a series in Song of Susannah.

I just can't imagine how they would make a movie of this convoluted, making it up as he goes, no idea what he wants the end to be, series.

But I've gone this far, so I'm gonna finish even though everyone has said the ending is not satisfying. At this point, just being able to have it completed will be satisfying.

Again, I ask, are there people that are like CRAZY NUTS over this series? I can see maybe someone enjoying it.... but are there rabid fans who think it is a masterpiece?
I'm a rabid fan, but I readily admit that Song of Susannah is not great. My love is mostly because of books 2-5, and I actually like 1 and 7 too.
SeattleAgJr
Uh oh....

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/77514

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.