Bruce Wayne's escape from the pit in TDKR

7,790 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
MASAXET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
wow, guess its uncool to like the 3rd installment. i enjoyed it.
I enjoyed it. Not my favorite, and it's definitely not TDK, but it was a fun watch for me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i liked a lot of it, I just found it uneven and confusing at time.

Given what TC said about Nolan and the money truck, it definitely makes more sense that gaping holes were just explained as "hey, that's the movies!"

1) How Bruce gets back into Gotham, let alone how he got out of (insert fictional country name here) when he was penniless and alone.
2) What did Lucius Fox do in the movie other than give Bruce the Bat? Answer: Absolutely nothing.
3) Bruce Wayne keeps believing in Selina Kyle with zero evidence that she's even remotely a good person.
4) Bruce Wayne pines for Rachel for 8 years, basically fires Alfred over tarnishing her good name, then bangs the next woman he sees.
- Side note here - as flawed as the Schumacher movies were, at least Bruce Wayne was a pimp in those - Elle McPherson in one movie and Nicole Kidman, who never looked finer, in the other.
5) Every single policeman in a city of millions ordered to walk into an underground tunnel all at once.
6) The Bat could have basically ended the street fight against Bane's crew in about 10 seconds, but instead he flies away, leaving the cops to be gunned down en masse by machine guns.
7) Even the Joker doesn't realize who Batman is, but Detective Third Rock puzzles it out when he's 9 years old.
8) I won't even go into Bruce's miraculous healing in the cell; but even if he recovered from Bane's beating, he was still in terrible shape from 8 years of doing nothing.
9) There's no way Hines Ward could return a kickoff for a touchdown at that age.
Jim01
AG
Chalk me up as someone who likes it. To me it goes
1. Dark Knight
2. Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman Begins
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
I enjoyed it. Not my favorite, and it's definitely not TDK, but it was a fun watch for me.
I enjoyed the entire ride of Nolan's trilogy. It was going to be really difficult to follow up TDK, but I did like how the trilogy ended.
The Collective
AG
quote:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdlay17Ovg1ruaha0o3_500.gif

During this part of the movie, I kept waiting for her to say... "you're waiting on a train"
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Drives me nuts when people take things in this direction. Me not liking it as much as the other two installments has nothing to do with jumping on the bandwagon and riding some "I hate TDKR" wave of cool. On a narrative level, at its core, TDKR is a deeply flawed movie. That's just a fact. That said, A) liking a flawed movie is totally fine - but just because you enjoyed something doesn't mean the movie itself is good, and B) I really, really like A LOT of TDKR. The opening sequence is one of the best of the entire trilogy, Bane is a fantastic villain, the Bane/Batman fight is phenomenal, Anne Hathaway killed it as Catwoman, the eight-year gap (in movie time) between installments was a genius idea and executed effectively, Gotham-on-lock-down added a cool, apocalyptic vibe, and the final war in the streets between Bane's crew and the police force (with Batman finally fighting alongside them) was a beautiful, almost poetically epic climax (if not slightly underwhelming).

That said, the Bruce-Wayne-instantly-going-bankrupt-and-there's-nothing-he-can-do-about-it plot line was utterly ridiculous, the "love story" with Tahlia was rushed, the ENTIRE Gotham police force being trapped underground for six months was asinine, the way Bane just read a letter from Gordon on air and no one questioned its authenticity was incredibly dumb, Bruce's aforementioned escape from Bane's prison and return to Gotham were dubious at best / completely skipped over, and Alfred expressing early on that all he wanted was to look over and someday see Bruce happy and alive at that cafe in Florence was one of the most telegraphed endings I've ever seen. Especially after Good Will Hunting already pulled that trick, and did it so much better ("Every day I come by to pick you up... and I knock on the door hoping you won't be there.")

On one hand, I really, really appreciated Nolan trying to tie everything back to Batman Begins and come full circle with the the League of Shadows and what not, but on the other hand, all that stuff felt just a bit too shoehorned in. I know Nolan hates planning for sequels, and I usually can't stand it when studios do this, but TDKR should have been two movies, shot at the same time, allowing that story some breathing room.
Sex Panther
AG

GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
5) Every single policeman in a city of millions ordered to walk into an underground tunnel all at once.
Still can't believe this happened in a Nolan script. It's like a deux ex machina written by an 8 year old.
CowtownAg06
AG
For me it actually goes:

1.) BB
2.) TDK
3.) TDKR

I love the stuff with the LOS.

Also, I work in financial markets, the part of Bane breaking to the exchange, bankrupting Bruce, and all of those deals standing, is almost too much for me to watch. Still entertained and better than most movies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TDKR is not a bad movie but its not a very good movie either and its a pretty big drop off from The Dark Knight. There was just too many wtf moments that are so uncharacteristic of a typical Nolan movie.
powerbelly
AG

quote:
the part of Bane breaking to the exchange, bankrupting Bruce, and all of those deals standing, is almost too much for me to watch.
Amen. Drove me crazy.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I thought I was the only one who didn't care for tdkr.
Guitarsoup
AG
How about a CIA plane not aware that there was a giant transport plans so close that a half dozen people could repel down to it?
TCTTS
AG
I'll forgive it only because that sequence is so amazing. But yeah, right there with you.
Phat32
AG
I'm with TCTTS - I forgive the bank & CIA flight scenes because they are just bad ass.

Nolan taught us that these universes were to be realistic through and through. In Batman Begins & TDK, everything seemed feasible.

What we're really complaining about is that he departed from his own universe noticeably.

If this stuff was in an old Batman movie we wouldn't blink an eye...and for that, to him, I say bravo.

NoHo Hank
AG
quote:
I'm with TCTTS - I forgive the bank & CIA flight scenes because they are just bad ass.

Nolan taught us that these universes were to be realistic through and through. In Batman Begins & TDK, everything seemed feasible.

What we're really complaining about is that he departed from his own universe noticeably.

If this stuff was in an old Batman movie we wouldn't blink an eye...and for that, to him, I say bravo.

To be honest, I don't agree here. There is a significant suspension of disbelief in TDK. The joker says he doesn't make plans, he just kinda does things, but everything starting with Harvey Dent giving himself in until the Joker escapes from prison is just one coincidence after another. As much as I enjoy the movie, it's a little ridiculous.

As for the TDKR, I loved it just because thematically, it was a perfect conclusion to the movie. Sure, there were a lot of unbelievable moments that aren't truly realistic, but even the WTF moments have a very different feel from those in the Joel S. movies, which are just utterly absurd. So it's not true realism, but it isn't, at least for me, too distracting.
Phat32
AG
The Joker moments are perfect for me, because that's the Joker we saw throughout the Batman universe. They aren't coincidences. Calculated and precise. He's trying to show the world that people are inherently bad, while Batman is trying to show that they can be inherently good.

For those that will reference that he says he has no plans, that he is like a "dog chasing cars"...Joker will say and do whatever it takes to win. He proved this in his different stories about "how [he] got these scars". Joker will kill to win. Batman will not.

Throughout the comics, that's Joker's bit - he beats Batman with impeccable timing/planning, and the willingness to go where Batman will not. He's Batman's perfect antonym because he can match Batman's intellect with evil. He is the opposite of Batman.

Each movie had their villain as a commentary on Batman - Scarecrow as an evil version of Batman's fear, Joker as an evil version of Batman's escalation, and Bane as an evil version of the pain Batman causes.
getme
quote:
I honestly try and forget that entire sequence of the movie. It's the only real black eye for the entire series and is very unfortunate:

• So he has a vertebrae sticking out of his back or something, but nothing a good punch and some rope can't fix right! Just how dumb is the audience suppose to be!?
  • If you miss the jump and fall... sorry, the snapping of the rope and/or then hitting the wall will kill you.
  • So where exactly is this pit of despair??? In the middle east somewhere right. The travel arrangements of Bane & Bruce Wayne going there and back make absolutely no sense.... at all!!!!

It really is best to not think about any of it!

Also the whole being a billionaire seeking justice for his slain parents through an elaborate plan to become a vigilante superhero via traveling the world to learn to fight and also about how the criminal underworld works, and then spending millions of dollars his family fortune secretly whilst taking on the persona of A MAN DRESSED AS A BAT....I mean come on REALLY?!
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
quote:
I honestly try and forget that entire sequence of the movie. It's the only real black eye for the entire series and is very unfortunate:

• So he has a vertebrae sticking out of his back or something, but nothing a good punch and some rope can't fix right! Just how dumb is the audience suppose to be!?
  • If you miss the jump and fall... sorry, the snapping of the rope and/or then hitting the wall will kill you.
  • So where exactly is this pit of despair??? In the middle east somewhere right. The travel arrangements of Bane & Bruce Wayne going there and back make absolutely no sense.... at all!!!!

It really is best to not think about any of it!

Also the whole being a billionaire seeking justice for his slain parents through an elaborate plan to become a vigilante superhero via traveling the world to learn to fight and also about how the criminal underworld works, and then spending millions of dollars his family fortune secretly whilst taking on the persona of A MAN DRESSED AS A BAT....I mean come on REALLY?!
That's pretty much exactly what I would do if I was in the same situation.
The Collective
AG
quote:

TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Agree there are multiple ways out that aren't explored.

1. Fashion a grappling hook of some kind. Climb to the jump, then use the rope and hook to get out.

2. Multiple people. Get 2-3 people up there, then launch someone off the other's shoulders or something like that.

3. There are bars in the pit, right? Shimmy them loose somehow and construct a crude ladder with materials in the pit.
i'm sure that there are enough materials there to construct a crude ladder/bridge, or to drive spikes into the mortar/cracks, or to just carve hand/footholds in the wall.
TexasAggie_02
AG

surely someone in that pit, at some time should have had the idea to carve holes in the rock? start chipping away along the seams.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:

surely someone in that pit, at some time should have had the idea to carve holes in the rock? start chipping away along the seams.

MW03
AG
It's a decent super hero movie. The biggest problem with it is that The Dark Knight is the world's greatest super hero movie.
YouBet
AG
Wait....so all of the cops were stuck underground for six months!? I guess I missed that time lapse in the several times Ive seen it.
rhutton125
AG
Yet they are shaved, fat and ready to take on a heavily-armed group of mercenaries
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.