Bruce Wayne's escape from the pit in TDKR

7,813 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by rhutton125
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's on TNT right now, and I realize that I myself could never make this jump, but Bruce Wayne's jump without the rope to escape Bane's prison doesn't seem that far. Alll those dudes living all those years and nobody ever figured it out that you could make the jump without the rope?
jeffk
AG
Eh, they'd all made it at some point or another, but once they escaped they realized they missed the camaraderie they had enjoyed below and came back.

Tough to find that type of chanting anywhere else too
Duncan Idaho
Fear is as powerful of a deterrent as it is a motivator
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It always bothered me that he made the jump without so much as a running start.

Also, how the hell did he jump out of the Bat in time to be out of the bomb's blast radius?
Fat Bib Fortuna
quote:
Eh, they'd all made it at some point or another, but once they escaped they realized they missed the camaraderie they had enjoyed below and came back.

Tough to find that type of chanting anywhere else too
That's true, I've never been around a group of guys who would get a chant going like that. Imagine those guys at the World Cup.

The jump is quickly forgotten as Bruce Wayne strolls into the locked-down island prison in a nice suit with a smile on his face and immediately find Don't Call me Catwoman in a city of millions.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
It always bothered me that he didn't just climb the rope.
SwigAg11
AG
quote:
It always bothered me that he didn't just climb the rope.

Did the rope go all the way to the top?
mid90
AG
The fact that he was even walking after receiving prison PT for his back was amazing. No way his deductible was more than $10.
MaroonStain
AG
No, BW drops the rope after he climbs into the light.
israeliag
AG
That there were no consequences for missing the jump was what annoyed me. Why not just try it 3 times a day everyday?

Why doesn't everyone give it a shot at least every other day?

Nolan has this way of dramatizing things that really won't get the characters killed (see: Inception). Interestingly, he does so successfully... but if you dig a little it can be a little irksome.
jr15aggie
AG
I honestly try and forget that entire sequence of the movie. It's the only real black eye for the entire series and is very unfortunate:

• So he has a vertebrae sticking out of his back or something, but nothing a good punch and some rope can't fix right! Just how dumb is the audience suppose to be!?
  • If you miss the jump and fall... sorry, the snapping of the rope and/or then hitting the wall will kill you.
  • So where exactly is this pit of despair??? In the middle east somewhere right. The travel arrangements of Bane & Bruce Wayne going there and back make absolutely no sense.... at all!!!!

It really is best to not think about any of it!
Jim01
AG
Agree there are multiple ways out that aren't explored.

1. Fashion a grappling hook of some kind. Climb to the jump, then use the rope and hook to get out.

2. Multiple people. Get 2-3 people up there, then launch someone off the other's shoulders or something like that.

3. There are bars in the pit, right? Shimmy them loose somehow and construct a crude ladder with materials in the pit.
MGS
Superman flew by and lifted him out of the pit. It happened so fast, you couldn't see it.
rhutton125
AG
DKR
Bruce Almighty
AG
I still don't understand how Nolan followed BB and TDK with this movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
quote:
Agree there are multiple ways out that aren't explored.

1. Fashion a grappling hook of some kind. Climb to the jump, then use the rope and hook to get out.

2. Multiple people. Get 2-3 people up there, then launch someone off the other's shoulders or something like that.

3. There are bars in the pit, right? Shimmy them loose somehow and construct a crude ladder with materials in the pit.
There were at least 100 dudes in that prison, they coulda gone Yertle the Turtle and got out that way.
JuliusCaesarAggie
And what's the deal with Robin?
-----------------------------------------------------------
AggieSouth06
Unless that rope is a bungee cord with a lot of give, you're dying not long after it catches your ass mid-fall and ruptures every organ in your torso.
The Collective
AG
quote:

I do. It was the untimely death of Heath Ledger.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
Unless that rope is a bungee cord with a lot of give, you're dying not long after it catches your ass mid-fall and ruptures every organ in your torso.
yeah that didn't look too good especially considering Bruce is coming off a major spinal injury.
Fat Bib Fortuna
quote:
quote:

I do. It was the untimely death of Heath Ledger.
I'm still amazed they made a third one. That movie really goes downhill after Bane whups him.
TCTTS
AG
Nolan had ZERO desire to make a third movie after Ledger's death. WB then unloaded a dump truck of cash on his front lawn and he reluctantly agreed. First two movies were motivated by story and creativity, third movie was motivated purely by profit. Simple as that, and it shows. During the TDKR story-breaking sessions, Nolan and Goyer were so stumped that the plot that Man of Steel was literally born in the two-week hiatus they took because they couldn't crack TDKR. I'm not saying it would have been any easier for them with Ledger alive and that character at their disposal, but they did have a vague plan of where they were going to take it before Ledger's death. IMO, The Dark Knight Rises w/ The Joker will forever be one of the greatest unmade movies of all time. Either way, the anticipation for seeing that character return would have come close to Star Wars levels of hype.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Has anyone ever leaked what Nolan had in mind for his third batman movie if Ledger hadn't died? I've always wondered what we would have gotten.
TCTTS
AG
Not that I know. I don't even think Nolan knew, exactly. He, Goyer, and Jonathan Nolan had apparently only had vague "conversations" about the potential plot.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
Nolan had ZERO desire to make a third movie after Ledger's death. WB then unloaded a dump truck of cash on his front lawn and he reluctantly agreed. First two movies were motivated by story and creativity, third movie was motivated purely by profit. Simple as that, and it shows. During the TDKR story-breaking sessions, Nolan and Goyer were so stumped that the plot that Man of Steel was literally born in the two-week hiatus they took because they couldn't crack TDKR.

Thanks for sharing! I remember hearing a quote from Nolan a few weeks after Dark Knight released. Someone asked what he had in store for the third film. Nolan said something along the lines of "I'm not so sure it needs a third film." The end of TDK could have just been that - a fitting ending.

Kind of wish he had kept that attitude instead of coming back... though I suppose any director could have come in and continued the franchise.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, Nolan was very much of the opinion that each movie should stand on its own. He never directing anything planning for a follow-up installmant. For instance, Goyer originally intended The Dark Knight to basically be a two-part sequel. The first part would see The Joker captured and the second part would see him go on trial, where-in he would throw acid on Dent's face, etc. It was Nolan who insisted on stuffing all of that into one movie and then getting rid of the trial. Nolan didn't want to feel pressure to make a third movie, so he swung for the fences on TDK. That said, he loved working with Ledger so much, there was definitely a want / vague plan to make another one together.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
It always bothered me that he made the jump without so much as a running start.

Also, how the hell did he jump out of the Bat in time to be out of the bomb's blast radius?

"How it should have ended" explained this:

BigBrother
AG
To me it was always more implausible that Talia did it as a scared little kid.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
Ugh, that actress is the suck.

I always wished they would have kept Two Face alive to be the villain, or at least a villain, in a third movie. I thought Aaron Eckhart was fantastic, just really overshadowed by Ledger's joker.
TCTTS
AG
Dent becoming the villain - then Batman taking the fall - is one of my all-time favorite movie endings. IMO, that last three minutes or so legitimately makes for one of the best endings ever to franchise blockbuster. I get what you're saying, but Dent's arc and death in TDK is a large part of what makes that movie so thematically resonant. Without it, thematically speaking, the entire movie falls apart.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I just felt it was too rushed.
jamaggie06
AG
I always saw it as they had a memorial for Dent, leaving open the possibilty that Two Face was still alive. When he wasnt in the third one I knew he was actually dead but a vengeful Two Face would bave been a solid movie I think.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Dent becoming the villain - then Batman taking the fall - is one of my all-time favorite movie endings. IMO, that last three minutes or so legitimately makes for one of the best endings ever to franchise blockbuster. I get what you're saying, but Dent's arc and death in TDK is a large part of what makes that movie so thematically resonant. Without it, thematically speaking, the entire movie falls apart.
Spoilers
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
wow, guess its uncool to like the 3rd installment. i enjoyed it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.