***Official GAME OF THRONES Season 6 (BOOK READERS/SPOILERS ALLOWED)***

842,081 Views | 6639 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by hunter2012
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Idk, seems like a p-ssy, to me. The only time he's gotten involved is to kill a helpless old man with a tree growing through him.
BJM1781
AG
The Night King would be balls deep in the Mountain and giving him the ol' creampie within 30 seconds.
HeadGames
AG
So, since the mountain is a zombie, can the white walkers just take him over immediately? Make him go on a killing spree?
nikator
AG
Saw an interesting theory today that the way to kill zombies has been fire. Given the Hound's history of being burnt by his brother that would be a good way to close the circle by him burning UnGregor.
Burrus86
AG
Is this not the wrestling thread anymore?
smokeythebear
AG
Oh this is really fun!

In Westeros:
Hound- would be a dog (pun intended) but could have a shot. Maybe 30% chance

Brienne- Beat the Hound head to head so she has to get at least as good odds. 30%

Loras- not a chance

Jon Snow- Has yet to be defeated. Killed a WW General. Has good agility and wits to dodge him until he gets tired but probably doesn't pull it off. 40%

Sand Snakes- maybe if they got to fight as a group, but their secret weapon of poison wouldn't work fast enough to be effective. 10%

Bron- He has no qualms about fighting dirty so that gives him a boost, plus he has good agility which is key, but he discussed it with Tyrion and the odds still wouldn't be in his favor. 40%

Tormund- He's a great fighter, but he's a big heavy guy that just isn't as big as the Mountain. Terrible match-up and the fact that he doesn't wear armor hurts him with his style of fighting. 20%

WonWon- I think that's his name? The Giant could easily kill the Mountain. Would love to see this. 100%

In Essos:
Grey Worm- I can't remember if he's fully healed or not, but a healthy Grey Worm would be quite the adversary. High agility, tons of military training, but ultimately I just don't think he would be creative enough to win. 30%

Daario- Finally, here's someone that has a very high level of agility, extremely cunning, and lots of 1-on-1 fighting experience. He defeated the city champion outside of (can't remember which city) in about 2 seconds. His strengths and fighting style are very similar to Oberyn and I would fully expect him to win like Oberyn. 70%

Jaquen Hagar- obviously his expertise is in stealth fighting and he would be restricted to open 1-on-1 hand-to-hand combat so that's not good for him. But we really don't know the extent of his skill set so I'm going to call this one even. 50%

Dead People (just for fun):
Sir Arthur Dane- Awesome swordsman and would make for a fantastic fight, but his style is too similar to the Mountain and the Mountain's size would eventually win out. Still, I'll give him a toss-up. 50%

Sir Bariston- Assuming him in his prime, I definitely think he could take the Mountain. Furthermore, I'll assume he can combine his youthful endurance with his old age knowledge of the Mountain's fighting tendencies. Just feel like he's watched the Mountain fight enough times that he would know how to win. 60%

Big Black Guy from Dorne- I'm a show only guy but heard a ton of stuff about his fighting skills from other book readers. Could be a good fight but I don't know enough to say anything higher than 30%.

Night's King- What? He's TOTALLY dead! It all depends on if the Mountain uses a valyrian steel sword which I don't think he does. But if he does, then the Mountain definitely wins. 100% or 0%

Oberyn- obviously dead BECAUSE of the Mountain, but given another chance I bet he doesn't showboat. 70%

Khal Drogo- He matches up really well with the Mountain. Speed and agility are huge. Lots of 1-on-1 experience. Armor isn't needed for him since he is excellent at dodging and he has a high endurance as well. Only issue would be getting through the armor, but I think he eventually finds a way. if Oberyn could do it, I definitely expect Drogo could too. 80%
smokeythebear
AG
DP
AtlAg05
AG
And the only one with 110% chance of victory.....

Drogon the effing dragon (10% bonus for consuming your opponent afterwards)
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Off the top of my head I would bet on...

Oberyn Martell
Arthur Dayne
Strong Belwas would be an interesting match
Daario (show version)
Maybe Barristan in his prime

Don't see Bronn, Tormund, any of the Starks, Jaime or Loras standing up to him.

Is book Victarion a great warrior? I can't remember anything specific about his fighting skills
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Darth Vader
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Michael Myers
sbarnett84
AG
This excerpt is from a Wiki of ice and fire about Victaruian Greyjoy. He commands the Iron fleet and is known as the reaver.

Victarion is a large and powerful man, with a bull's broad chest and a boy's flat stomach. His hair is flecked with grey. He wears plate armor in combat, a helm in the shape of a kraken and wields a cruel axe.

Victarion is a capable commander and a fierce warrior in battle, but has a calm demeanor outside of it, thinking of enemies who show bravery with great respect.
Buck O Five
AG
wangus12
AG
Pretty sure Arthur Dayne would **** the Mountain up. Considered one of the greatest swordsman out there.
R0GUE
AG
Loras has been stupidly nerfed in the show compared to the books. Kind of sad really how pathetic he is on the show. If this was book Loras he'd at least have a 25% chance.

Another dead guy to consider:

Syrio Forell: "What do we say to death? Not today." 75% easy.
lne2011
AG
Robert Baratheon in his prime 50%.

Ser Duncan the Tall 75%.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's been shown to be one of the best knights in Westeros. Not sure what you're talking about.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
He's been shown to be one of the best knights in Westeros. Not sure what you're talking about.
He has? The show turned him in to some weak gay knight in jail. Outside of a nice joist in season one, I cannot think of any tim they did anything close to that.

In the book he was bordering hero / legendary type before getting burned to a crisp.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
What a great list, SmokeytheBear!

We have not seen it yet, but I am assuming the Mt possesses the same skills as he did when alive. If he is a zombie in the arena, he is easily defeated.

If he is the same Mt, and if his opponent is not a giant, the keys to defeating him are focus, lack of fear, deviousness, patience, and skill with the spear. Any swordsman will have great difficulty because of differences in strength, height, and arm length. The Mt always fights swordsmen from the high ground. He will always wear you down. He will destroy your shield. His armor *****s will almost always be out of reach. The person that beats him with a sword will need to be nimble, an expert with a thin blade and a dagger, and lightly armored for endurance and maneuverability.

I don't think the Faith has anyone with those skill sets. Perhaps the Hound, if he isn't injured. Overall in Westeros, I'd say the only other candidate is Bronn.

As Oberyn demonstrated, a good spear in the hands of a fearless focused competent user can overcome the Mt advantages. A little poison helps, too. I think Grey Worm could do it with a spear.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Pretty sure Arthur Dayne would **** the Mountain up. Considered one of the greatest swordsman out there.

aside from getting stabbed in the back he pretty much handled 4 vs. 1 (and i think he killed one of the other 2 as well, not sure, before his partner got killed too).

i think one on one he could take just about anyone. most considered him the greatest knight they had ever seen or heard about.

i think he's like 95% to beat the mountain heads up.

hell Oberyn had the mountain defeated he just got cocky.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess it's mostly implied.
BowSowy
AG
Can you provide examples of when it's implied? I really can't think of a time where he was shown or implicated as a great knight or fighter.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Loras_Tyrell
Farmer1906
AG

quote:
Gregor, furious, decapitates his own horse with a sword, and then attacks Loras. Gregor's brother, Sandor, intervenes and saves Loras' life.

Loras shaves Renly's chest in his chamber.

His rival manages to step under a swing of his great axe and knock him off his feet. Loras yields when his opponent lifts his visor and holds a knife close to his face.

R0GUE
AG
That's kind of my point. Loras is long on reputation and short on deeds. He talks a good game and comes from a noble house, but Tyrion has more honest battle experience than poor Loras.

At least in the books, they give us examples of all the great victories Loras has in tourneys.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, my idea of him mostly comes from the way others talk about him more than what we're shown on screen, so you're correct.

Then again, the same is true of Jamie Lannister. (Except the fight with Ned, unless there's another one I'm forgetting?)
AgLaw02
AG
If the mountain was covered head to foot in plate mail I don't know how you'd beat him.
Swing Your Saber
Just watched highlights of the best fights on youtube:

Based on the show only I think Ford had the right of it. To beat the Mountain one on one you need a long weapons (like a spear), speed, and incredible skill. The Mountain is a talented swordsman in his own right with a tremendous size and strength advantage over anyone he fights. To beat him with a sword would require you to get in close enough for him to cave in your skull. Now size and strength are advantages that can be overcome with sufficiently talent; however, given the mountain's size and skill I think its unlikely even Dayne would win in a straight sword fight. The Mountain would not need to parry every blow and would get his licks in. The difference being, short of a killing shot I think the mountain survives almost any stab or cut from Dayne while Dayne would not survive the follow up from the Mountain. Even Oberyn was knocked down and lost his first spear. Hell even with a cut Achilles and a spear through the chest the Mountain still had enough fight in him to catch & kill Oberyn. Thus in a straight sword fight I think the Mountain has to be the odds on favorite. Allow other weapons and things change.
Burrus86
AG
quote:
If the mountain was covered head to foot in plate mail I don't know how you'd beat him.

That's not a knight...that's a tank!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ready lads?

C L E G A N E B O W L

G E T H Y P E
Stive
AG
That's a pretty cool list.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Just watched highlights of the best fights on youtube:

Based on the show only I think Ford had the right of it. To beat the Mountain one on one you need a long weapons (like a spear), speed, and incredible skill. The Mountain is a talented swordsman in his own right with a tremendous size and strength advantage over anyone he fights. To beat him with a sword would require you to get in close enough for him to cave in your skull. Now size and strength are advantages that can be overcome with sufficiently talent; however, given the mountain's size and skill I think its unlikely even Dayne would win in a straight sword fight. The Mountain would not need to parry every blow and would get his licks in. The difference being, short of a killing shot I think the mountain survives almost any stab or cut from Dayne while Dayne would not survive the follow up from the Mountain. Even Oberyn was knocked down and lost his first spear. Hell even with a cut Achilles and a spear through the chest the Mountain still had enough fight in him to catch & kill Oberyn. Thus in a straight sword fight I think the Mountain has to be the odds on favorite. Allow other weapons and things change.
I didn't have much of an issue with their rankings, but I was expecting Brienne somewhere in the Top 5 or even 3, which, based on all men we've seen her cut down and the weapon she carries, is totally reasonable. To have her omitted from the list altogether is crazy.
redline248
AG
The video crashed on me halfway through, so I don't know who was included, but considering she's beaten Loras in a tournament, and the Hound (who made the list), Brienne should be on there.

Oh, she also beat Jaime after Cat sent them off together.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Aggies or Game Of Thrones tonight?
Mathguy64
AG
Baseball and it's not even close.
First Page Last Page
Page 116 of 190

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.