*** DC Extended Universe ***

819,321 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by TCTTS
Aggie_Journalist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I watched a few DC cartoon movies a few years back and they were pretty darn solid. The Batman Beyond one was my favorite (I forget the name, but Joker was the bad guy).
wangus12
AG
C'mon man. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I watched a few DC cartoon movies a few years back and they were pretty darn solid. The Batman Beyond one was my favorite (I forget the name, but Joker was the bad guy).
Batman Beyond was part of the old DCAU that had Batman: TAS, Superman, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and movies like Mask of the Phantasm. I miss that old DCAU and the days of Saturday morning cartoons.......
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mask of the Phantasm is phantastic.

I didn't even know The Killing Joke was happening, so I'm excited. Especially cause they got Hamill. He IS the Joker to me, in the animated universe.

TKJ is one of those books I always wanted to read but never got around to. Now I can watch the movie.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Mask of the Phantasm is phantastic.

I didn't even know The Killing Joke was happening, so I'm excited. Especially cause they got Hamill. He IS the Joker to me, in the animated universe.

TKJ is one of those books I always wanted to read but never got around to. Now I can watch the movie.

Agree on all accounts

But you should definitely read The Killing Joke, it's great. It's basically the seminal Joker story... And it's not like it's War and Peace. You'll be done in an hour.
wangus12
AG
Yeah give it a read. One of my favorite. Having Hamill back voicing the Joker will be awesome
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Yeah give it a read. One of my favorite. Having Hamill back voicing the Joker with be awesome
Agreed. It with be awesome!
jeffk
AG
There's some really, really good stuff in the DC animated movies/series.

Red Hood was awesome.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Amber Heard, not the studio, confirms being cast as Mera in Justice League.

http://screenrant.com/amber-heard-aquaman-movie-mera/?utm_source=SR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I noticed in all the trailers, Batman and Superman are always fighting at night. What if it's not actually nighttime and Lex is blocking the sun?
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
I noticed in all the trailers, Batman and Superman are always fighting at night. What if it's not actually nighttime and Lex is blocking the sun?
"Take that Wayne Tower!
Take that Daily Planet!
Take that LexCor- oh fiddle sticks"
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

Aggie_Journalist
AG
The reviews for BvS are looking terrible. It still remains to be seen what impact that has on how much money it makes, but is it too early to ask:

How does WB savage the DCCU?
If they have to torch it and start over, could this kill WB?

It reminds me of Spielberg's prediction a string of blockbuster mega flops will one day cause seismic shifts in the movie industry. http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/is-hollywood-model-doomed-steven-spielberg-and-george-lucas-think-so-20130815

Could that time be now?
Gig-Em2003
AG
So long as Asia keeps watching big-budget American movies, the studios will do fine. There is so much money to be made overseas these days.
Vander
AG
Yeah China is a bigger market than the US now. It's actually pretty amazing how much money blockbuster US films make overseas.
TCTTS
AG
Would bet anything they're cancelled (and honestly figured they would have been regardless):

- Shazam
- Green Lantern Corps
- Cyborg

Likely on the chopping block:

- Aquaman
- The Flash
- Justice League Part Two

I really do think Justice League (Part One?) will see a last-minute rewrite that has them ending the overarching story there. It may even get delayed altogether to accommodate. So, with Suicide Squad basically in the can, and Wonder Woman having a month left of filming, here's how I see it playing out...

- Suicide Squad: August 2016 (as scheduled)
- Wonder Woman: June 2017 (as scheduled)
- Justice League: Moves from November 2017 to Summer 2018

Really, WB is going to have to move Justice League anyway. Even if BvS was a massive success, they were never going release Justice League a month before Star Wars Episode VIII, ever since SW moved to that December spot. From there, I truly think WB cancels everything else and instead lets Affleck do a solo Batman movie while they try figure what the hell to do with DC moving forward. Say Affleck's solo Batman movie hits summer 2019, they then take three or four years off and come back with some kind of reboot (either Batman or Superman) around 2022/2023.

Hell, instead, if I were them, I'd actually just ride Affleck's Batman train as long as I could. Do a second solo movie in 2021 or '22, then have him hand it off, in-story, Batman Beyond style two or three years after that, and let that run for another couple of movies. Either way, I'm afraid no one's going to want to see Superman again for a long while. So maybe wait and reboot him again in 2025 or something. I don't know.
jabberwalkie09
AG
These films are going to make money. While I don't have the interest that everyone else seems to for Suicide Squad, I think that's going to make quite a bit of money. I also have little doubt that Wonder Woman is going to do well as well, probably critically as well as financially. Though I think that Snyder is likely done with the DC film-verse given the initial reception of this film.

Like I mentioned in one of the other BvS threads, I think that if Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman by some chance do poorly that will likely either delay or shelve the rest of the in development films. I actually think a lot of how many movies DC does hinges on how successful Wonder Woman is. I could see them doing another Affleck Batman film, and if WW does well another for her.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I really do think Justice League (Part One?) will see a last-minute rewrite that has them ending the overarching story there. It may even get delayed altogether to accommodate. So, with Suicide Squad basically in the can, and Wonder Woman having a month left of filming, here's how I see it playing out...

With that move, and the assumed delay to start filming associated with that, do you think they would be inclined to replace Snyder as the director for JL?
TCTTS
AG

quote:
Either way, I'm afraid no one's going to want to see Superman again for a long while. So maybe wait and reboot him again in 2025 or something. I don't know.

I've actually been thinking about this lately and Superman needs a massive conceptual reboot anyway. The whole Clark Kent glasses disguise / working-at-newspaper thing is just beyond dated at this point, and from what I've read, BvS only helps support my point. I don't know what the answer is, but the only way audiences come back for a solo Superman outing or franchise again in the next decade or so is if it's something really new and fresh. I'm not saying reinvent that character by any means, but I feel like there's definitely an opportunity to play with the basic Clark Kent / Superman dynamic, while also potentially keeping Krypton around, tweaking the Ma & Pa Kent thing a bit, etc., updating the story more for modern times, etc.

Then again, I also have a feeling that a decade from now Hollywood is going to be mostly done with superhero movies altogether...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

With that move, and the assumed delay to start filming associated with that, do you think they would be inclined to replace Snyder as the director for JL?
I do. On one hand, they're scheduled to start filming next month, and a director shake up would be a HUGE deal / make for a sh*t ton of negative press. But at this point the writing's on the wall. Snyder just isn't delivering. I really do think they get a new director, push filming back at least six months, if not longer, rewrite it to be one movie, and then move the release to 2018.
TCTTS
AG
That said, BvS will likely still be a massive financial success this weekend, and I could see WB being stupid/stubborn enough to just stick with Snyder for one more film and then call it a day.
dave94
AG
Are you hearing any more from your insider friends now that this negative vibe is starting to get out?
TCTTS
AG
Nope. Steering clear. This person is heavily involved in the marketing of the movie, and I have a feeling work is about to get very, very tense. Don't even want to engage at this point.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That said, BvS will likely still be a massive financial success this weekend, and I could see WB being stupid/stubborn enough to just stick with Snyder for one more film and then call it a day.
Well, I can only see two options for the studio at this point because I get the feeling that after the opening weekend that BvS is going to have a hell of a lot drop off the second week. It's either take the negative press by dropping Snyder (if they can contractually do that) and replacing him and reshuffle the franchise, or risk losing it all on the gamble that by some miracle they can right the ship by Justice League. Though I agree that WB could be incredibly stupid and stick with Snyder.
Vander
AG
Take Snyder off of the DCU and I think it will be fine. Apparently all of the actors got pretty good reviews, it was the design, set, and story decisions that were bad.

Another round of pure solo Batman movies won't cut it this time. Just focusing on Batman has been part of DC's problem for years because there are so many other great stories that don't involve Batman at all. For instance, a properly done Green Lantern Corps could be as epic as Star Wars, it certainly has the lore to pull it off. This isn't to say that there aren't some great Batman stories that could be done, but focusing on Batman will kill the DCU entirely and would be a huge mistake.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

Another round of pure solo Batman movies won't cut it this time. Just focusing on Batman has been part of DC's problem for years because there are so many other great stories that don't involve Batman at all. For instance, a properly done Green Lantern Corps could be as epic as Star Wars, it certainly has the lore to pull it off. This isn't to say that there aren't some great Batman stories that could be done, but focusing on Batman will kill the DCU entirely and would be a huge mistake.

Batman is the only DC character who has consistently worked on the big screen. (And not just worked, but made crazy money.) A solid movie can turn any character into a fan-favorite (hello, ironman), but studios are very risk-averse people. They might not take a gamble with these other DC heroes again for a long time.

TC makes a great point about superman. Newspapers might not exist in 10 years. Bloggers don't get respect the way journalists used to, so that can't be the change. His level of power has long made him boring to casual fans who ask at the start of every fight "is there any kryptonian around? Guess there's no need to worry." DC needs to reinvent Superman and find a new take on him that works.
wangus12
AG
Why can't Disney just swoop in and buy the rights to DC too!
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:

Batman is the only DC character who has consistently worked on the big screen. (And not just worked, but made crazy money.) A solid movie can turn any character into a fan-favorite (hello, ironman), but studios are very risk-averse people. They might not take a gamble with these other DC heroes again for a long time.

TC makes a great point about superman. Newspapers might not exist in 10 years. Bloggers don't get respect the way journalists used to, so that can't be the change. His level of power has long made him boring to casual fans who ask at the start of every fight "is there any kryptonian around? Guess there's no need to worry." DC needs to reinvent Superman and find a new take on him that works.
I think this may be more the problem than the solution. WB keeps trying to turn Superman into something he isn't.

As I've said many times, go retro. Set Superman in slick art deco 60s Metropolis and have fun with it.

Or have a young Superman (who maybe isn't even Superman yet) in the modern day trying to understand what his role is and what he's supposed to be (see the latest issue of Superman: American Alien for a fun take on this).

There's no lack of existing material that a fantastic Superman film could be based around.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Why can't Disney just swoop in and buy the rights to DC too!
Avengers vs. Justice League done by the Marvel creative team would be comicbook fans new bible.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Or have a young Superman (who maybe isn't even Superman yet) in the modern day trying to understand what his role is and what he's supposed to be (see the latest issue of Superman: American Alien for a fun take on this)
That's a little bit of the direction they are going with the Supergirl TV show.
jeffk
AG
quote:
quote:
Or have a young Superman (who maybe isn't even Superman yet) in the modern day trying to understand what his role is and what he's supposed to be (see the latest issue of Superman: American Alien for a fun take on this)

Smallville II: The Legend Continues.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I had that thought after I posted it actually. American Alien handles the concept much more elegantly IMO.

Supergirl lost me after a few eps, I couldn't get over the every-buddy-cop-lieutenant ever task force leader and then finding out what her sister's job was.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I had that thought after I posted it actually. American Alien handles the concept much more elegantly IMO.

Supergirl lost me after a few eps, I couldn't get over the every-buddy-cop-lieutenant ever task force leader and then finding out what her sister's job was.
Yeah, but then to find out who the task force leader really is.....
jackie childs
quote:
Nope. Steering clear. This person is heavily involved in the marketing of the movie, and I have a feeling work is about to get very, very tense. Don't even want to engage at this point.
I'm curious, who puts together the trailers? is that marketing or somebody else?
fig96
AG
Yeah, found that out after the fact. Makes it better, I suppose, but they still lost me too quick.
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.