*** DC Extended Universe ***

816,289 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think it has anything to do with Live By Night's failure from the studio's perspective (as in they likely didn't pressure him to step down), but I'm betting Affleck knows he can't have two directorial stinkers in a row, so he's at least eliminating the option for that to happen here, especially if he truly can't prep for the role and the directing gig at the same time due to the work load. And that could very well be the case. To prep a film as a director is a beyond full time gig, and combine that with the fact that he was also writing - those two things alone would take every second of every day for months. But then throw in the fact that he also needs to stay in insane shape, rehearse, etc., and I can definitely see that being WAY too much to handle.

That said, he straight up admitted recently that if the script's not up to par, he's not directing, and, well... he's now not directing. So this also kind of reek's of WB still not having any idea what they're doing, which is probably a bit of a factor as well. So I honestly think it's a combination of everything above.

Truthfully, I think we're going to get a mildly entertaining/competent Wonder Woman movie, a halfway decent Justice League movie (that could just as easily be another massive disappointment), a super weird/dumb Aquaman movie, and then a nothing-to-write-home-about The Batman (via ultimately not landing a Matt Reeves type but someone more average), and that will be it. I think Affleck's going to be so burned out by then - you can already tell that he's so sick and tired of this whole comic-book movie commitment (you could really see it in all these Live By Night interviews, where half the questions were about Batman) - and I just don't see The Flash or Man of Steel 2 ever taking flight. Snyder has probably directed his last DC movie as well. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but right now, I just don't see this franchise lasting past 2018/2019.
fig96
AG
From hearing Affleck talk about the character in some of his promo work for BvS it sounded like he really got the character and I thought he'd be a great guy to tackle this. Little disappointed but Reeves would be awesome.

My concern is that if Affleck and Geoff Johns, who has about the best possible pedigree you can ask for to write a Batman film (worked under Richard Donner, has written several critically acclaimed comics, has run DC's creative ops for several years) I just don't know that it's going to happen.

It does seem like at some point they're going to have to admit that things just aren't working and scrap their plans. The bigger question is why can't they get it right?

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

The bigger question is why can't they get it right?

Because the brass flat out doesn't care. As long as these movies continue to make massive amounts of money as mediocre-to-bad projects, in their eyes, there's no sense in making the effort to ensure top quality. The head of the studio basically admitted as much.

That, and the biggest problem with these planned-years-in-advance franchises is that a movie HAS to meet a date regardless of quality. Marvel has found a way to ensure quality (for the most part) AND meet all these crazy deadlines, but it's way, way harder than it looks. It also takes a single visionary leader - who is both creative and a phenomenal CEO-type - which is very hard to come by, and Marvel lucked out with in Feige.
TCTTS
AG
A bit more color...
Quote:

Insiders say that Affleck and the studio came to a mutual decision that it would be best for the project if it was not helmed by someone with the split focus of being both the star and helmer.

Rumors of Affleck departing the director's chair have swirled for a couple of months now, when he let on that the project was having script issues during press for Live by Night, the gangster movie he directed for Warners. The issues first came to light when author Bret Easton Ellis mentioned them during a November podcast. Affleck and execs have been unhappy regarding the script for weeks, according to sources.

One insider says that Live by Night's poor performance caused Affleck to rethink his approach to his projects after that film bombed recently, having taken in just $18.9 million globally to date.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ben-affleck-not-directing-batman-movie-970390
TCTTS
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-finds-black-manta-villain-get-down-actor-970629
TajMaballer
AG
I actually trust the Aquaman movie more than the other movies at this point. I have liked most of James Wan'd movies.

I can't believe I trust Aquaman more than any other DC movie.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

The bigger question is why can't they get it right?

Because the brass flat out doesn't care. As long as these movies continue to make massive amounts of money as mediocre-to-bad projects, in their eyes, there's no sense in making the effort to ensure top quality. The head of the studio basically admitted as much.

That, and the biggest problem with these planned-years-in-advance franchises is that a movie HAS to meet a date regardless of quality. Marvel has found a way to ensure quality (for the most part) AND meet all these crazy deadlines, but it's way, way harder than it looks. It also takes a single visionary leader - who is both creative and a phenomenal CEO-type - which is very hard to come by, and Marvel lucked out with in Feige.
I guess I know this is the case, but as a creative it hurts to truly believe that.

Feige has done a fantastic job, and I think Marvel has also lucked out/had strokes of genius with a few of their directing choices. The job James Gunn did on GOTG alone is just phenomenal.
TCTTS
AG
Jeez. Guess it's Aquaman Day...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/nicole-kidman-talks-join-aquaman-970652
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aquaman-finds-black-manta-villain-get-down-actor-970629

Lame... I wanted Omar

Also, how hilarious would it be if ****ing Aquaman ends up being the thing that saves DC?
Flashdiaz
AG
LEAKED FOOTAGE FROM THE NEW AQUAMAN MOVIE************************

TCTTS
AG
I'll admit, he looks cooler than I thought he would in that Justice League Comic-Con trailer. And I'm digging the cast so far. But I just can't get over the brief footage of him in BvS, where it's so apparent that Momoa is holding his breath underwater. I'm REALLY curious how the underwater stuff is going to look in the final product.
Dro07
AG
is she going to be playing Ariel?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, holy sh*t, the guy who plays Gavin Belson in Silicon Valley is one of the names on the Batman director list. Had no idea that guy even directed...

http://www.avclub.com/article/its-rumor-time-heres-who-might-direct-batman-inste-249424

TCTTS
AG
James Gunn actually has a GREAT choice for director. Batman by way of Green Room would be amazing...

http://heroichollywood.com/james-gunn-batman-director/
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll admit, he looks cooler than I thought he would in that Justice League Comic-Con trailer. And I'm digging the cast so far. But I just can't get over the brief footage of him in BvS, where it's so apparent that Momoa is holding his breath underwater. I'm REALLY curious how the underwater stuff is going to look in the final product.

I think everyone is really curious about Aquaman. With him being a punchline for years, and the way they're going with Khal Drogo underwater... and of course simply seeing how they are going to do all the underwater scenes. It'll probably be ridiculous, but I think people are definitely going to be very interested.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

James Gunn actually has a GREAT choice for director. Batman by way of Green Room would be amazing...

http://heroichollywood.com/james-gunn-batman-director/

I loved Green Room and by all means, I'm sure that would be a good pick... but don't you think with the issues that DC is having, Affleck dropping out, and the overall importance of Batman, that they have to get a big name to direct this?

Also, I don't know if he'd even be available but since they are trying to go more "fun" with Justice League, I'd have ditched Snyder and thrown a full court press at Matthew Vaughn.
TCTTS
AG
I just don't know if they can get a big name. I saw some talk on Twitter today about this, and between the director having to answer to DC, the studio heads, and also Affleck, whoever it is likely won't have a lot of freedom. That, and Affleck was planning to shoot this summer. If they stick to that timeline, this is only a slightly better situation than when Ratner came aboard X-Men: The Last Stand at the last minute to replace Vaughn. It would basically be a director-for-hire gig where someone's coming on board to fill some shoes, and not necessarily develop the project. A worthy, big-name director likely wouldn't want that task.

I may be completely wrong, but, honestly, I just don't see this being the big, franchise-rejuvenating movie people are hoping it'll be. I'd actually be shocked if Affleck sticks around past this stand-alone movie, for forth a FOURTH turn at the character. This movie has always felt like a desperate, last hope to make something out of this franchise, and I hate to say it, but chances are it'll disappoint just like everything else WB/DC has tried, and that'll be the end of it.

That said, if WB were smart, knowing what's riding on this, they'd push production and let someone - a big name - come aboard and basically give them full creative control / scrap whatever it is that's currently not working. Take their time, put everything they can into this one creatively, release it whenever the hell it's ready (2019/2020 at the latest), and then if it kills, I could see Affleck basically pulling a Downey Jr. and sticking around for a few more years, and WB/DC just turning all focus to another Batman franchise, with the opportunity to weave in a Wonder Woman/Flash/Aquaman appearance here and there.
Sex Panther
AG
Yeah that makes sense... I guess I was just thinking that every Batman movie has always been such a big deal, and had a big name director, that this would be the same way. Guess we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I guess the difference is Burton/Nolan were given the freedom to basically do whatever they wanted, which was a big part of the attraction. They weren't being thrown into the middle of an already-established franchise. That, and Nolan had only done Memento and Insomnia before Batman Begins. At the time, I remember thinking what an odd choice. Either way, hopefully WB/DC has the awareness to give whoever they hire the freedom and time they need.
israeliag
AG
I would think, if they could guarantee* a The Batman 2, going with a up-and-comer or director below A-list could make sense: The pitch, while stated more eloquently than this, could be: we have this great project with a terrific creative team (in fairness having Affleck and Johns as writers, and the production and design team that has consistently made visually satisfying films should be a plus), that will get your feet wet with a 9 figure project, and then you'll be fully prepared to take creative control of a 9 figure sequel.

*Guarantee I'm sure can't truly be given, but some kind of convincing commitment to having Affleck on board for more
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

I would think, if they could guarantee* a The Batman 2, going with a up-and-comer or director below A-list could make sense: The pitch, while stated more eloquently than this, could be: we have this great project with a terrific creative team (in fairness having Affleck and Johns as writers, and the production and design team that has consistently made visually satisfying films should be a plus), that will get your feet wet with a 9 figure project, and then you'll be fully prepared to take creative control of a 9 figure sequel.

*Guarantee I'm sure can't truly be given, but some kind of convincing commitment to having Affleck on board for more

I don't know if anyone could trust WB not to shift directions at the drop of a hat.
israeliag
AG
Absolutely fair point.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

He's the best. He definitely needs to get his shot in something like this, and I could totally see him pulling off both the stoic and comedic tones, if that's what they're going for.

Just saw Hidden Figures as well, and while I really liked the portrayal of John Glenn, there was something about him I couldn't quite put my finger on. A little IMDB search and I realize he was also Finnegan in Everybody Wants some, one of the best things about that movie. I see he is also going to be in Sand Castle with some other young, upcoming/already big actors. Dude deserves it.
TCTTS
AG
I actually have a friend who is aquaintences with him, and was at his birthday party last year, and he said he'd never seen so many ridiculously hot women in one place before. New goal: to be at his party next year. Looks like I have until October to make it happen...
Sex Panther
AG
When I was in LA this summer I hung out with his friend and former roommate. He was also in Hidden Figures as one of the astronauts. Awesome guy... I feel like we can both make this happen.
TCTTS
AG
Nice. Mission: Accepted. Let's do it.
israeliag
AG
Please report back on the Focus thread. Thanks in advance.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-actor-temuera-morrison-talks-join-aquaman-971183
Forum Troll
AG
If anyone is interested in Aquaman and not the cheesy version, the New 52 run of Aquaman is very good. It's written by Geoff Johns and I suspect a lot of the movie will be based on it.
israeliag
AG
Makes sense. If it were up to me I'd stuff the film with Aussie/Kiwi actors. Everyone associates Aussies with swimming anyway.
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Cyborg looks like garbage.
MBAR
AG
Yeah I think he looks cheesy as hell.
Noblemen06
AG
Wonder Woman, on the other hand...
dave94
AG
Not sold on Aquaman's costume either... it just looks so dark and way too much like the Kryptonian armor.
First Page Last Page
Page 51 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.