*** DC Extended Universe ***

815,876 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by TCTTS
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

There's no way Cruise does this movie. Also, as a reminder, this is just a wish list the studio put together. Talks haven't even begun with any of these actors yet. I can't see Reynolds going back after Deadpool, and Cooper already lost this role once, so I just can't see him doing it either. Out of this particular list, it would be either Armie Hammer, Gyllenhal, or McHale.

WB/DC has been trying to find a superhero role for Hammer forever. I bet it's him.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther said:

Gyllenhaal would be the home run

Out of that group, I think I lean towards Hammer, but Jake would be good as well.
Dro07
AG
Will this be the gay green lantern that is being portrayed?
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I'm rooting for Hammer. If only because one of my best friends is one of Armie's good friends and I could totally get the scoops. If not Armie, then Gyllenhaal for sure. I have to wonder, though, if McHale's name being on the list signals the role being more comedic in nature, and in that case I don't know that I could see either Hammer or Gyllenhaal pulling that off quite as well.
wanewman

AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Personally, I'm rooting for Hammer. If only because one of my best friends is one of Armie's good friends and I could totally get the scoops. If not Armie, then Gyllenhaal for sure. I have to wonder, though, if McHale's name being on the list signals the role being more comedic in nature, and in that case I don't know that I could see either Hammer or Gyllenhaal pulling that off quite as well.

Remember that the plan is to do the whole GL Corps so more than one could get a shot.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. That could actually be pretty damn cool, then.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought the GL Corps is like all the different species? And I thought the only human GL's are Hal Jordan and then the black guy? I forget his name... I don't really know a lot about Green Lantern.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, yeah. Would much rather see more than two humans on the team rather than a bunch of aliens...
AliasMan02
AG
Sex Panther said:

I thought the GL Corps is like all the different species? And I thought the only human GL's are Hal Jordan and then the black guy? I forget his name... I don't really know a lot about Green Lantern.

There are several possible white guy GLs.
Sex Panther
AG
Saw Hidden Figures last night... what about Glen Powell?

Would love for him to get a huge opportunity. He's got comedic chops as well.
TCTTS
AG
He's the best. He definitely needs to get his shot in something like this, and I could totally see him pulling off both the stoic and comedic tones, if that's what they're going for.
TajMaballer
AG

I respect David Ayer so much for posting this letter.
AliasMan02
AG
I respect him for saying it, but classifying it as a wild success is a half truth because while it's technically true, it underperformed expectations by a lot. It was also supposed to revitalize the DCEU, but all it did was create more questions and doubt.
fig96
AG
Totally appreciate his post.

The guy that said it's a masterpiece is on crack, however
TajMaballer
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I respect him for saying it, but classifying it as a wild success is a half truth because while it's technically true, it underperformed expectations by a lot. It was also supposed to revitalize the DCEU, but all it did was create more questions and doubt.
I think that was talking about financially successful. Which on a $175 million budget making $745 million is pretty damn good. What that makes me think is that these movies would destroy the box office if they were even half way competent.

Edit: Alias, I agree saying "wild success" is a stretch.
rhutton125
AG
I think it was a wild success. It made up for the relative disappointment of BvS at least. I don't think anyone expected it to crack a billion or anything, with all new characters and such.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Suicide Squad made BvS look like a halfway decent movie, which is damn hard to do.
rhutton125
AG
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but they just hired a new screenwriter for the Flash solo film. I think that's becoming the Gambit movie for DC, just kind of stuck in production purgatory, with two directors leaving so far.

Almost no way it meets its March 2018 date at this point, right? If it gets pushed back to 2019 or beyond, that leaves only one DC film for that year - Aquaman, in October. Tough break. And more pressure on WW and JL to succeed, in a way, because there's nothing immediate to take the attention away and create buzz.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
DC has screwed themselves by putting together a very successful and popular television division.

The Flash and Green Arrow have become so popular from their TV shows that there is no way that WB/DC can incorporate those characters into their movie universe without it being seen as a big middle finger to those shows and their millions of fans. And do they really need any more reasons for fans to think that they don't care about them?

The Flash movie is doomed from the start because many people don't want to see this other guy in the role that they believe belongs to Grant Gustin right now. He's earned the role (plus, do we really want to see another origin of his that will just contradict the show?)

This is yet another in a long series of examples as to how WB/DC is failing miserably while Marvel is knocking it out of the park. At least with Marvel's ABC and Netflix shows, the characters exist in the same universe as the Avengers.
MooreTrucker
AG
And even moreso now that they picked up Spiderman. Now if they could just straighten out the Xmen mess....
Gregg Papivich
GiveEmHellBill said:

DC has screwed themselves by putting together a very successful and popular television division.

The Flash and Green Arrow have become so popular from their TV shows that there is no way that WB/DC can incorporate those characters into their movie universe without it being seen as a big middle finger to those shows and their millions of fans. And do they really need any more reasons for fans to think that they don't care about them?

The Flash movie is doomed from the start because many people don't want to see this other guy in the role that they believe belongs to Grant Gustin right now. He's earned the role (plus, do we really want to see another origin of his that will just contradict the show?)

This is yet another in a long series of examples as to how WB/DC is failing miserably while Marvel is knocking it out of the park. At least with Marvel's ABC and Netflix shows, the characters exist in the same universe as the Avengers.

Also doesn't help that I think Grant is a way better actor than the other guy
AgMarauder04
AG
Gregg Papivich said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

My understanding was part of the issue was scheduling. Could Grant Gustin, or any of the cast, have time to film a movie while also filming his show?
tamusc
AG
They made a conscious choice to have a different actor play the movie version of the Flash to avoid confusion between the TV and movie universes.
AgMarauder04
AG
That was the other reason. They wanted seperate universes, but I think, logistically, part of it was scheduled
tamusc
AG
True enough
GiveEmHellBill
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Gregg Papivich said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

My understanding was part of the issue was scheduling. Could Grant Gustin, or any of the cast, have time to film a movie while also filming his show?
Duchovney and Anderson did it with the X-Files. Hell, do a shortened season of the Flash that picks up right where the Justice League (or solo) movie ends and have the rest of the season be about the repercussions of the film. That's what Agents of SHIELD did their first season when Winter Soldier (which came out midway through the first season of the show) radically changed the whole direction of the show.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
tamusc said:

They made a conscious choice to have a different actor play the movie version of the Flash to avoid confusion between the TV and movie universes.
....which is a tremendous mistake they have made. Keeping the two "universes" separate when fans are smart enough to follow the storylines between the two is just not a good idea.

They are actually CREATING more confusion by having different actors play the exact same role in different mediums. Again, Marvel is doing it right; why must DC see this and not take notes?
fig96
AG
I think their issue with that now is that their tv universe has a lot more devoted following than their cinematic universe. Trying to change anything at this point would really tick a lot of people off.
rhutton125
AG
The TV shows have also been running for a while, and it would be a mistake to chain your new movie universe to decisions made years ago on the CW. If I recall correctly, Arrow has essentially become Batman, so you wouldn't be able to use Deathstroke or Ras al ghul, for example.

I'm fine with splitting them, but as I've said before, by the time we get a Flash solo film, fans will have seen 4 seasons of the TV show on CW, Fox's Quicksilver in DoFP and Apocalypse, and Marvel's Quicksilver in Age of Ultron. You'll be hard pressed to deliver something new after that much speedster exposure in just 4 years.
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

I think their issue with that now is that their tv universe has a lot more devoted following than their cinematic universe. Trying to change anything at this point would really tick a lot of people off.
If the tv universe has such a following, let that following follow them on to the big screen, too. In the Marvel universe, there has been crossover with minor character and the major characters were discussed but not seen. In DC, the TV folks are the main characters, but pieces of the puzzle in the JL not the main ones...Batman, Superman, WW. Only Superman has crossed over into TV thus far.
AgMarauder04
AG
MooreTrucker said:

fig96 said:

If the tv universe has such a following, let that following follow them on to the big screen, too. In the Marvel universe, there has been crossover with minor character and the major characters were discussed but not seen. In DC, the TV folks are the main characters, but pieces of the puzzle in the JL not the main ones...Batman, Superman, WW. Only Superman has crossed over into TV thus far.
Well, (as a TV follower), it's the CW. Ratings are like a couple million a week. It's low.
MooreTrucker
AG
Well, yeah, there's that.
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure almost everyone saw this coming. And if WB can actually land Matt Reeves, that's a big step up in my opinion...

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty sure almost everyone saw this coming. And if WB can actually land Matt Reeves, that's a big step up in my opinion...

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

Man... that's a bummer. I really wanted to see Affleck tackle this.

TC, what do you think the reasoning is? I know the article says it doesn't have anything to do with Live By Night's failure, but do you think that's true?

There's been rumors the script isn't great (shocker). Do you think he's just worried it's not going to be good and he doesn't want to shoulder the blame? Maybe just didn't want to deal with the pressure?

Matt Reeves does at least leave some hope though.

First Page Last Page
Page 50 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.