*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,078 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I am just irrationally happy right now. Not only did a giant corporation actually reverse its monumentally dumb decision, but after all this time, we're actually getting Gunn back to finish his trilogy, the second installment of which is my favorite Marvel movie to date. What a great way to end the news week.
TCTTS
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

This is what I thought was going to happen from the beginning. Let time pass, then bring him back without any fanfare (well, from Disney....fans will go apesh*t themselves).

The timing is perfect for Marvel:

- Captain Marvel is killing it at the box office.
- New Endgame trailer drops unexpectedly yesterday
- everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for Endgame tickets to go on sale.

All of this is the perfect cover for this announcement.

It really is. Good points.
Fenrir
TCTTS said:

Man, I am just irrationally happy right now. Not only did a giant corporation actually reverse its monumentally dumb decision, but after all this time, we're actually getting Gunn back to finish his trilogy, the second installment of which is my favorite Marvel movie to date. What a great way to end the news week.
I feel like we're unicorns in that almost nobody else besides you seems to agree with me that GOTG 2 was more enjoyable.
Rex Racer
AG
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Not only did a giant corporation actually reverse its monumentally dumb decision, but after all this time, we're actually getting Gunn back to finish his trilogy, the second installment of which is my favorite Marvel movie to date. What a great way to end the news week.
I am not a conspiracy theorist. Far from it. However, I'm of the belief that this was Disney's (well, Kevin Feige's) plan from the beginning.

Disney had to fire Gunn. They had to. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but as a corporation...their hands were tied. They had to do what they did and suffer through the outrage of some vocal fans. But I think that this was all just a cover to let time pass. The fact that not a single other director was ever contacted for the job (Taiki Waititi was only asked during a press junket if he would do it) and that there has been zero progress on production just leads me to believe that Feige was just waiting for the right moment to bring Gunn back. And this past week for Marvel was almost a perfect storm of goodwill. And I also think Gunn may have been tipped off about this by Feige, since Gunn never said a single negative word about Disney or how the situation was handled. Almost like he knew he may be coming back and didn't want to burn any bridges.
TCTTS
AG
Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

I feel like we're unicorns in that almost nobody else besides you seems to agree with me that GOTG 2 was more enjoyable.

Ha, seriously. It's a perfect blockbuster screenplay. It's sooo well done.
TCTTS
AG
I think you're right, and that's what I'm leaning toward as well.
jackie childs
GiveEmHellBill said:

TCTTS said:

Not only did a giant corporation actually reverse its monumentally dumb decision, but after all this time, we're actually getting Gunn back to finish his trilogy, the second installment of which is my favorite Marvel movie to date. What a great way to end the news week.
I am not a conspiracy theorist. Far from it. However, I'm of the belief that this was Disney's (well, Kevin Feige's) plan from the beginning.

Disney had to fire Gunn. They had to. I know a lot of people disagree with that, but as a corporation...their hands were tied. They had to do what they did and suffer through the outrage of some vocal fans. But I think that this was all just a cover to let time pass. The fact that not a single other director was ever contacted for the job (Taiki Waititi was only asked during a press junket if he would do it) and that there has been zero progress on production just leads me to believe that Feige was just waiting for the right moment to bring Gunn back. And this past week for Marvel was almost a perfect storm of goodwill. And I also think Gunn may have been tipped off about this by Feige, since Gunn never said a single negative word about Disney or how the situation was handled. Almost like he knew he may be coming back and didn't want to burn any bridges.
yeah, i don't give disney that much credit, but it could've been feige's plan all along.

and if that's the case, probably the best thing for feige (and us) is DC hiring gunn for suicide squad because it let him show disney that people weren't up in arms about it.

i presume gunn is still going to make suicide squad? if so, that probably pushes GOTG 3 into 2022.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

I can almost flip a coin, but I lean towards the first just because of the so many great new moments that it gave us. But they're both fantastic.
AgfromHOU
AG
Yeah he's not starting Guardians until after Suicide Squad
Olsen
AG
I'm glad that Gunn is back with Marvel Studios.
rhutton125
AG
tx1c said:

Not a comic book guy, but love the MCU.

I have never heard of Shang-Chi.

Is it too early to ask for a primer on this character?

Honestly, from what little I've read, he seems like kind of a spare. Iron Fist without the sweet outfit or the powers. Just a dude with kung fu, and fewer historical team-ups.

That said, he's arguably the best hand-to-hand fighter in the Marvel Universe, and I imagine they have kind of a blank slate with which to make him work. I think he's made a little more of a splash in the last decade or so, so there's that. He supposedly gained some powers recently.

I'm pretty meh on the character, but Marvel has shown they can do pretty much anything and it will work out. Just cast one of the guys from The Raid and give us Winter Soldier-level choreography, and they'll make another billion.

Edit: I think he would have fit in well with the Netflix shows, potentially.
Rex Racer
AG
TCTTS said:

Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

I think I like the first movie better just because it was brand new (to me - I knew very little about the characters going in) and took me by surprise, but the second movie really is perfectly done, with most of the characters having a great story arc and growing as characters from the start of the movie to the finish.
fig96
AG
rhutton125 said:

Just cast one of the guys from The Raid and give us Winter Soldier-level choreography, and they'll make another billion.
I would watch the hell out of that.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
This is part of the article linked on the last page
Quote:

Disney's quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn's missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.
seriously?
bearamedic99
AG
how long was he "fired" and will the Mouse be as forgiving with Dave Bautista's belligerence?
FTACO97
AG
bearamedic99 said:

how long was he "fired" and will the Mouse be as forgiving with Dave Bautista's belligerence?
He was fired in July 2018. So 10ish months?

I think Dave will be fine.
fig96
AG
redline248 said:

This is part of the article linked on the last page
Quote:

Disney's quick trigger was completely understandable when the social media messages were first reported by outlets like Fox News. Those outlets reported that Gunn's missives were exposed as payback for Gunn being a vocal critic of President Donald Trump.
seriously?
Not to bring politics too much into it, but it was a conservative blogger type who raised all the outrage so the conclusion isn't entirely off.
AMW2010
AG
rhutton125 said:

James Gunn reinstated for Guardians 3

?itemid=13078930
John Matrix
AG
TCTTS said:

Fenrir said:

TCTTS said:

I'm completely in agreement here. GOTG 2 is one of the few Marvel films that had me tear up. It's a perfect character film that borders on something Richard Linklarter would direct , or as close to something like that as a Marvel film can get. Just fantastic character work throughout. It's top tier Marvel for me.
jackie childs
so at this point, marvel's almost just acknowledging that the snap's going to be undone, right?

i get it with spidey...their hands were somewhat tied because of sony, but i can't think of a reason not to sit on this news for 5 weeks. it's not like they've able to start production now and i'd presume he's been working on the script this whole time.

although it'd have been pretty cool if with the announcement, they showed a picture of Gunn sweeping up some ashes into a dust pan.
AliasMan02
AG
Man, Gunn doing Fantastic 4 could be great. It's a property that will need that sort of angle to work (obviously, as we've seen). Glad he's back in the fold because he could really be the next Russo Bros in terms of long-term, cross-character filmmaker.
Bobcat06
AG
1. Disney has already acknowledged GOTG 3, Doctor Strange 2, Black Panther 2. They aren't exactly pretending the snap won't be undone.

2. This is what you call spiking a news story. Release it on the Friday of a holiday weekend when other things are happening and it will be out of the news before anyone gets a chance to make it a big deal.
Fightin TX Aggie
AG
Rewatched Ant Man and Wasp tonight.

Three thoughts. Hopefully not repeats because this is a really long thread!

1. Janet Van Dyne's line in the post-credits scene about "don't fall into a time vortex" is unlikely to have just been a throwaway. It could be intentional misdirection, but it feels much more like a plot hint for End Game.

2. The quantum tunnel at the end is in the same van that Scott Lang drives to Avengers HQ in the first End Game preview. Presumably, the tunnel tech is still in the van.

3. What about Ghost? I wonder if there is a role for her in Endgame.

aggiepublius
AG
Just finished watching it as well. The last scene happens and "Oh, snap!" popped into my head.
rhutton125
AG
I don't think Ghost pops up again until Ant-Man 3, but I'd love a Thunderbolts film/storyline someday.
Fenrir
Fightin TX Aggie said:

Rewatched Ant Man and Wasp tonight.

Three thoughts. Hopefully not repeats because this is a really long thread!

1. Janet Van Dyne's line in the post-credits scene about "don't fall into a time vortex" is unlikely to have just been a throwaway. It could be intentional misdirection, but it feels much more like a plot hint for End Game.

2. The quantum tunnel at the end is in the same van that Scott Lang drives to Avengers HQ in the first End Game preview. Presumably, the tunnel tech is still in the van.

3. What about Ghost? I wonder if there is a role for her in Endgame.

With all the discussion about GOT actors in mcu lately I thought you were talking about the direwolf for a second...
AgMarauder04
AG
Same.
duck79
AG
I'm somewhat new on the in depth marvel connections and am trying to catch up so that I can watch the movies with my 8 yr old son and explain how they connect. I apologize if these are dumb questions:

Is their an Avenger with the most power? Top of the food chain I guess.

Is their an Avenger that hasn't been shown yet in any of the films?

Sorry if those are really broad questions.
Sex Panther
AG
duck79 said:

Is their an Avenger with the most power? Top of the food chain I guess.

Is their an Avenger that hasn't been shown yet in any of the films?

Thor, but him and the Hulk have a joking/running gag about who is stronger... Marvel Studios has come out and said that Captain Marvel is the most powerful. I guess it depends on who is writing the character in the comic at the time, but she's definitely up there. The thought of Brie Larson taking down Chris Hemsworth is silly to me though.

I believe there have been a ton of characters who have technically been Avengers at some point, but I'm pretty sure the main ones have been covered in the movies. Probably the biggest omission in the MCU is that Hank Pym (Michael Douglas character from Ant-Man) and his wife (Michelle Pfeiffer - the original Wasp) were two of the original founders. Hank Pym led the Avengers and was a major player in the comics as the OG Ant-Man and then Giant Man. Paul Rudd's character (Scott Lang) was the second Ant-Man I believe.
duck79
AG
Thank you for the reply. He and I were researching and read about Scarlett Witch but she is only in Winter Soldier? Is that correct?
Bruce Almighty
AG
In the movies, the strongest Avenger is Thor. Captain Marvel is said to be stronger, so I guess we'll see. In the comics, yea it depends on the writer. The power levels of these characters go up and down. From what I've read, Hulk is probably the strongest, but all these characters have gotten their asses kicked at some point in time.
texasaggie04
AG
Scarlet Witch appears in the post-credit scene in Winter Soldier, but her first real appearance is Age of Ultron. Then she's back in all of the crossover movies (e.g., Civil War, Infinity War).

And pretty much everybody has been an Avenger at some point in the comics. This is the core team though (that Marvel has the movie rights to, at least).
First Page Last Page
Page 357 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.