*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,513,140 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I would not call the Avengers C-team.

I didn't grow up reading comic books, I was more into movies. Still, I had some awareness of many of these characters. When I was probably 10 or so, I came across a hard-bound book in my grandmother's house (book had likely belonged to an uncle who was 14 years older than me but had moved on to college by then, and that I have since inherited after my grandmother's passing in 2004) that was a compendium of great American comic book characters.

The book had "chapters" of a single comic book issue for all of the characters it covered, among them Superman, Batman, Captain America, and many others (it's been many years since I looked at that book, but I may have to go pull it off my shelf to see who else is in it).

Then there were TV shows - Batman (campy crap but awesome nevertheless), Wonder Woman, The Incredible Hulk, animated Justice League, Super Friends - that kept me invested in some of these characters.

My afore-mentioned grandmother lived in Lake Jackson in a house located literally on the other side of a fence from a 7/11. She'd frequently walk me over there, roughly 50 feet, when I was real little for a Slurpee and a candy bar. Often times, 7/11 had plastic cups with characters printed on them. Since Superman was my favorite, that cup was my prized possession for a long time, but I also had several others.

There were not many movies featuring comic characters that came out while I was growing up. Just Superman, the first two movies of which were fantastic and among my favorites for many years.

But for someone like me, with no interest in comic books themselves and fairly limited alternate media exposure to the characters, I still found a way to at least be aware of the existence of characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. Now I will admit to having no idea of the existence of characters like Black Widow or Hawkeye - never heard of them until Thor and Iron Man 2 introduced them.

edit - completely forgot to mention Spider-Man as one of the characters that I was familiar with through cartoons, 7/11 cups, etc
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
B-list and C-list is debatable, but I think A-list is pretty much limited to Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, right?

(Pre-MCU, obviously.)
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

B-list and C-list is debatable, but I think A-list is pretty much limited to Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, right?

(Pre-MCU, obviously.)

I guess if you are going to limit it to just movies (but you need to add Wolverine), but from a comic book standpoint, there's way more than that.
Malachi Constant
AG
In the early 90s I spent a lot of time in the arcade as a kid. Iron Man and CapAmerica were introduced to 10 year old me through this game:
Sex Panther
AG
If you are being really selective with A-List, I'd say that before the MCU it was

Batman/Joker
Superman
Spider-Man
X-Men/Wolverine

Maybe Flash?

Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor were always big. I didn't read comics but I knew who they were and that they were important.
redline248
AG
I've never seen that game before
Sex Panther
AG
redline248 said:

I've never seen that game before

I remember it being at my local bowling alley. It was a lot of fun.
wangus12
AG
Yep. Played that at the local bowling alley as well
Farmer1906
AG
Sex Panther said:

If you are being really selective with A-List, I'd say that before the MCU it was

Batman/Joker
Superman
Spider-Man
X-Men/Wolverine

Maybe Flash?

Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor were always big. I didn't read comics but I knew who they were and that they were important.

No flash, but this pretty much nails it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I would put Blade in before Flash
redline248
AG
When Blade's movies came out, I didn't even know it was based on a comic.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I would put Blade in before Flash
I was a huge Flash fan as a kid. Never heard of Blade until the movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
But non comic book readers knew more about Blade than Flash once the movies came out. If the A list is being super selective to only those that crossed over into popular culture, then Blade would be in before Flash.
Sex Panther
AG
I loved Blade (the movie), but nobody outside of Wesley Snipes and Stephen Dorff are putting him in the A-List tier, much less over Flash
jackie childs
so it really makes what marvel has done with the MCU even more impressive
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think y'all are missing my point. From a comic book point of view, Blade wouldn't be an a lister over Flash. That's obvious. But in this super selective Batman, Superman, Spider-Man only, I think Blade would have an arguement over Flash. For the record, I wouldn't put Blade or Flash on that list, only that I think he would be more deserving than Flash in 2008.
redline248
AG
My argument to that is that everyone knew Batman, Superman were comic characters. Not Blade. So while Blade had a nice movie run he's still not an A list comic character, imo, bc of that.
jackie childs
even on a super-selective A-list, i'd argue wonder woman belongs
Flashdiaz
AG
indeed. I was not into comic books and barely knew of Ironman and Thor.

In fact, when I first heard about Guardians of the Galaxy I thought it sounded terrible. A tree? A moody racoon with a gun?

but they pulled it off spectacularly!

MooreTrucker
AG
So I guess the issue is, "A-list" according to movies only, comics only, or movies and comics?

Flash, like Batman, Wonder Woman, and Hulk, had his own (short-lived) TV show long before anyone had heard of Blade.
jackie childs
Flashdiaz said:

indeed. I was not into comic books and barely knew of Ironman and Thor.

In fact, when I first heard about Guardians of the Galaxy I thought it sounded terrible. A tree? A moody racoon with a gun?

but they pulled it off spectacularly!

this remains one of my favorite tweets:

jtstanley4621
AG
When I was a kid I read by FAR more DC comics than Marvel. Most of the Marvel I read was X-Men and Spiderman.
AgfromHOU
AG
I would say most of the Justice League because of the cartoons
AgfromHOU
AG
Can you name all 23 Marvel movies in 4 minutes?
It includes the two that haven't been released yet.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jenniferabidor/there-are-23-movies-in-the-mcu-and-ill-be-impressed-if-you
The Shank Ag
AgfromHOU said:

Can you name all 23 Marvel movies in 4 minutes?
It includes the two that haven't been released yet.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jenniferabidor/there-are-23-movies-in-the-mcu-and-ill-be-impressed-if-you
With 2:27 to spare
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
0:55, only because I didn't realize Endgame and Far From Home were being counted already.
AgfromHOU
AG
That's what used up about a minute of my time
gougler08
AG
1:50 to spare...also forgot about Far from Home
Liquid Wrench
AgfromHOU said:

I would say most of the Justice League because of the cartoons
Yeah, I don't know how long that Justice League cartoon aired in the original run, but it was on TV forever. That's the only reason I ever knew of Aquaman, for instance.

Generally, Superman and Batman are pretty much in their own tier. After that, it really depended on what was on TV or in the theaters
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

0:55, only because I didn't realize Endgame and Far From Home were being counted already.
Got with it a few seconds to spare because of those two, because it didn't like my spelling of Endgame about 4 times and because Winter Soldier didn't work till it was THE Winter Soldier.

Oddly enough the two Guardians films, some of my faves, took me the longest to get
Bruce Almighty
AG
Got 22 out of 23 on my phone. I put Dr. Strange instead of Doctor probably five times before time ran out.
DVC2010
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Got 22 out of 23 on my phone. I put Dr. Strange instead of Doctor probably five times before time ran out.

Same. I couldn't get the correct syntax for Dark World. And I lost a ton of type time to autocorrects (for stupid stuff just like this).
Fenrir
Thor 2 worked for me...
Bruce Almighty
AG
Ant Man 2 worked but Ant Man and Wasp did not.
swimmerbabe11
I got that to work... you can't forget "The" wasp
First Page Last Page
Page 351 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.