*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,599 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kong: Skull Island sold me that she would be great in the role, funny enough. Came off tough without overselling it like sometimes happens with actresses in action roles. And she has acting chops.
TCTTS
AG
I think the movie looks like a lot of fun, but I also agree that Larson just doesn't seem to have that "it" factor for the character / this universe. She comes across as a little flat, and I can't at all see her leading any kind of a next phase for the MCU (if that's even the plan).

That said, personally, I've reached a point where I still obviously look forward to these movies quite a bit, and I've hardly ever been disappointed in one, but I just don't care like I used to when it comes to "getting it right" in terms of character, casting, etc. I share and recognize the (in my mind, minor) problems many seem to have with Larson, but I'm not impacted by them like I used to be when casting or whatever else feels off. Now it's just kind of like, "Yeah, I wish it would have been Emily Blunt, but whatever" and then I'm on to the next one.
TCTTS
AG
That's a great point, and I agree, I'm just not seeing THAT Larson in this footage. At least so far. Hopefully she shows up in the movie itself.
jtstanley4621
AG
One of my coworkers said something interesting to me today about what she wishes they'd do with Captain Marvel's personality. She said she'd be more interested in the movie if Larson/Marvel was a little bit more Tony Stark than Captain America. Seems like they're going more the Captain America route so far.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
double aught
AG
third coast.. said:

also how funny is it that modenr day SLJ can play 1980s SLJ withjust a wardrobe change. dude doesnt age
Do you think he'll try to rob McDowell's?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I agree with the folks who say something about this trailer just isn't quite clicking. I'll certainly still see it because Marvel has yet to release a flop, but my anticipation for Captain Marvel is much lower than it has been for most other Marvel movies.
TCTTS
AG
That's interesting, but it also made me realize what, exactly, feels off. It's not so much Larson's performance (though that's part of it), it's that I can't really tell who her character is. She's not the cocky Stark type, but she's not quite Captain America either. And not that she absolutely needs to be put in an easily digestible form, its just not clear, after two trailers, what type of mold or personality she is/has. And that's especially jarring when most of Marvel's primary characters have been so bold and clear from the get-go. You just "get" who they are right up front and I don't at all with this character. I have an idea, of course, and yes, part of her arc seems to be HER figuring out who she is, so I get that, but Marvel has been so good about establishing and showcasing personality that it's just a bit weird to see such a lack of it in this instance.
Post removed:
by user
jabberwalkie09
AG
Alicia Vikander.
swimmerbabe11
I think it is gonna be a fun movie..but she kinda seems like action hero barbie there.

She's not as intense as Black Widow, as alien as WW, as manic pixie as CW Supergirl.... in these trailers...she's just there. But..it's kinda the way too early to tell predictions.
Saxsoon
AG
I think part of the issue is that the Kree bioengineering stuff made her lose a part of her human personality, which could make for a very interesting subplot as she begins to interact with her home and regain a bit of her humanity. There seems to be a bit of a flash in the flashbacks with her in the Air Force. The problem is that we are going to have a hero with a personality of a paper bag for a lot of her own origin film and could end up being an issue (see Eddie Redmayne in Fantastic Beasts)
Post removed:
by user
Saxsoon
AG
third coast.. said:

i thought he was autistic quirky. is that not what they were going for?
I realize this may come off as insensitive, because while I appreciate what they were going for, it just made for a very awkward and unlikable character that honestly felt very flat. When I watched Fantastic Beasts the first time, I just thought Eddie Redmayne was a bad actor because that didn't hit me on the autism stuff until a second viewing. I am not trying to compare autism to being an emotionless human, more along the lines of audiences maybe not clicking with their intent on the character.

It seems like she is going to be very emotionally stunted for a lot of the film and I am not sure how that will work out for them from an audience enjoying it standpoint.
GreasenUSA
AG
It should be fun to watch her accidentally kill the Avengers in A4.
bearamedic99
AG
not sure if these should be spoilers so I'll just tag them anyway

I really hope that (a) they don't make everyone snapped in Infinity War a Skrull and (b) the Skrull are not a one and done villain.

I see TCTTS's point about the protagonist needing a personality that the audience can connect with but I really hope they are making her flat/alien as a side effect of not being around humans when her current incarnation was made aware. The learning of human emotions and behaviors could be fun.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
third coast.. said:

also how funny is it that modenr day SLJ can play 1980s SLJ withjust a wardrobe change. dude doesnt age

Isn't he being CGI'ed to look younger?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Alicia Vikander.
She's so f-ing hot.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Champ Bailey said:

third coast.. said:

That's what I thought
MooreTrucker
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

... as manic pixie as CW Supergirl....
May I just say, I love this description.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Never realized how much bigger Brie Larson was than Vikander. Maybe that's why they didn't go after Vikander for Marvel? (The better choice imo.)

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Champ Bailey said:

third coast.. said:

What's crazy is that it's legit hard to tell. You know in the back of your mind he must be, but it's not very obvious.

It's extremely impressive.
rhutton125
AG
He's definitely deaged. Coulson too.

You all bring up good points about how she's not super compelling in these trailers. But I'm sure she won't be wandering around in confusion throughout all the Kree/Skrull parts.

I'm guessing she's confident and powerful early on, crash into Earth, confused and bewildered, figure it all out and she's confidently protecting Earth again.

She's become too important of a female character to be 90% boring. I think those bewildered parts just provide most of the exposition for these trailers. Or so I hope.
Post removed:
by user
Ornithopter
AG
I'm a little concerned that Captain Marvel will end up having a lot of the issues that exist with Superman in his films.
- Overpowered, so they just punch (or photon beam) harder
- Requires overly contrived plot devices to keep them away from solving issues
- Writers give them a lack of emotions to demonstrate separation from humanity, but it is humanity that makes stories compelling

I probably could have worded that better, but you get the gist.

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being great.
TexasAggie_02
AG
TexasAggie_02
AG
Duncan Idaho
DubFalls said:

I'm a little concerned that Captain Marvel will end up having a lot of the issues that exist with Superman in his films.
- Overpowered, so they just punch (or photon beam) harder
- Requires overly contrived plot devices to keep them away from solving issues
- Writers give them a lack of emotions to demonstrate separation from humanity, but it is humanity that makes stories compelling

I probably could have worded that better, but you get the gist.

I hope I'm wrong and it ends up being great.

This really sums up why Superman is such a ****ty character.
TexasAggie_02
AG
nice catch from the trailer on Reddit.

Capt. Marvel's Kree name is "Vers." It's b/c they only had half of her dog tags from her accident. "Carol DanVERS"

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/a3065y/the_kree_call_carol_vers_because_they_only_had/

hurleyag
AG
Calling it. Danvers and Quill hook up and Gamora stays dead.
PDWT_12
AG
third coast.. said:

"gal gadots (sp) name. perfect casting."

It's actually funny you mention her as an example, as her casting as Wonder Woman was very much criticized by large portions of the internet up until she appeared in BvS.

I will agree that she's not knocking it out of the park in trailers, and some of the dialogue seems off. But Marvel has taught me not to trust their trailers. They constantly have lines that don't make the movies or get cut at weird places.

All that said, I think the space sequence looks awesome. And Fury stopping to pet the cat and whispering "I'll be back" is me at any social gathering where there is a dog.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
hurleyag said:

Calling it. Danvers and Quill hook up and Gamora stays dead.
So what would make their children:

1/2 Kree
1/4 Celestial
1/4 Human

Is that right?
First Page Last Page
Page 313 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.