*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,490,701 Views | 27707 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by MBAR
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shaynew1 said:

What about a 45 minute Pena summarization of the MCU up to the snap.

I'd pay full ticket price for that.

Play by play by Luis (Pena) and Andy Dwyer (Pratt) ftw.
bearamedic99
AG
meh, I don't get the love for Pea's character or Antman.
tamusc
AG
bearamedic99 said:

meh, I don't get the love for Pea's character or Antman.
Have you seen both Ant-Man movies?
fig96
AG

Oscars: Marvel Aiming for Best Picture with 'Black Panther' Despite Popular Film Category

Quote:

The Los Angeles Times reports that Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige backed the move to give Black Panther an Oscar campaign with a significant awards season budgeta crucial yet often overlooked aspect of how one goes about actually winning an Oscar. This kind of commitment has never been made on any previous Marvel movies, and despite the fact that the Academy has announced a new "Outstanding Popular Film" category, the campaign for Black Panther is aiming for the top prize: Best Picture.
AliasMan02
AG
I'll say this. If Gladiator can win, why not BP? I like Gladiator more, for sure, but they check a lot of the same boxes. Boseman is every bit the actor that Crowe is. You have a great villain, but one that is a sympathetic type instead of completely hateable. Great score. Great and innovative design.

Really it's just the fantasy elements of BP and its pop culture origins that would hold it back.
YouBet
AG
BP for Best Picture?! He can't be serious.

I guess I'm going to have to watch it again because I have it in the bottom half if not quarter of Marvel movies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I really enjoyed Black Panther, easily too half of MCU for me, but there's only one reason this is even in the discussion, and we all know what that reason is.
gougler08
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I really enjoyed Black Panther, easily too half of MCU for me, but there's only one reason this is even in the discussion, and we all know what that reason is.

Yep
TexasAggie_02
AG
TajMaballer
AG
BP is having a cultural moment and has been in the zeitgeist all year. Much like Get Out last year, that matters to the success of a movie in awards season.

The only negative in my opinion is the CGI towards the end. The themes, performances, production design, score, narrative structure, and many other elements are all peak blockbuster filmmaking. If Lord of the Rings can get nominated in a field of 5 movies, Black Panther should absolutely be nominated in a field of 10 movies.
Claude!
Bruce Almighty said:

Surely Martin Freeman doesn't have that kind of pull.
TexasAggie_02
AG
BP is Thor 1, but Loki really dies at the end.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TajMaballer said:

BP is having a cultural moment and has been in the zeitgeist all year. Much like Get Out last year, that matters to the success of a movie in awards season.

The only negative in my opinion is the CGI towards the end. The themes, performances, production design, score, narrative structure, and many other elements are all peak blockbuster filmmaking. If Lord of the Rings can get nominated in a field of 5 movies, Black Panther should absolutely be nominated in a field of 10 movies.
^
This.

This is the reason why the Academy has expanded the field to 10 films. It's to allow for these types of films. The mainstream blockbusters. The cultural "in the moment" films. The crowd-pleasers.

It's my sincere hope that the Academy nominates both Black Panther AND Mission:Impossible - Fallout for Best Picture. Both got near-unanimous critical and audience praise and would show that the Academy actually values these types of mainstream blockbusters as real films, instead of that bullsh*t "Best Popular Film" pandering.
Urban Ag
AG
gougler08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Yep
It's mob mentality. Nothing more. BP is decent, middle of the pack for me in the MCU.

But as King Julian once said "hurry, before we all come back to our senses".
jtstanley4621
AG
TajMaballer said:

Just in fairness, I REALLY liked Get Out. I felt like Black Panther had a lot of potential, but ended up being a fairly basic super hero movie in terms of overall plot, etc.
fig96
AG
TajMaballer said:

Black Panther was a really great movie with amazing production values across the board, the art direction and production design in particular was fantastic. The fact that it's the first blockbuster of its scale to have a largely African American cast is a great thing and is certainly part of the reason for it's relevance, but IMO there's nothing wrong with that.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

I guess I'm going to have to watch it again because I have it in the bottom half if not quarter of Marvel movies.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I genuinely can't understand that kind of ranking. It's right there among the best Marvel films for me.
gougler08
AG
Urban Ag said:

gougler08 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Yep
It's mob mentality. Nothing more. BP is decent, middle of the pack for me in the MCU.

But as King Julian once said "hurry, before we all come back to our senses".

Agreed, I thought it was a good movie but the end felt rushed and Killmonger could have been developed more. The costumes and some of the fight scenes were incredible though
Urban Ag
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I genuinely can't understand that kind of ranking. It's right there among the best Marvel films for me.
Meh, lots of people, myself included, my kids included, thought it was middle of the pack for MCU. Looking back over the list, I'd put in the bottom half for certain. I don't put a lot of thought in to this basically beyond "how much fun" I had seeing the movie and how "re-watchable" they are. Pretty much the way I rank Star Wars.

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
The Avengers: Infinity War
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Antman and the Wasp
Captain America: The First Avenger
Thor
Antman
Spiderman Homecoming
Black Panther
Iron Man 3
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Thor: The Dark World
Incredible Hulk

Phat32
AG
I need to rewatch it. Currently middle of the pack for me.
Farmer1906
AG
yukmonkey said:

Ditto. Its good, but there are a lot of great flicks in the MCU.
Urban Ag
AG
Farmer1906 said:

yukmonkey said:

Ditto. Its good, but there are a lot of great flicks in the MCU.
Which should be the biggest take away from the debate. BP is in very good company in the MCU. Most of these movies are an absolute joy to take the family to, so much fun. And I say that as someone who goes in to these with no childhood nostalgia or long running connection with the storylines or characters. I didn't read the comics or watch the cartoons, etc. Saying BP is middle of the road for the MCU is not giving it a C+.

fig96
AG
Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Meh, lots of people, myself included, my kids included, thought it was middle of the pack for MCU. Looking back over the list, I'd put in the bottom half for certain. I don't put a lot of thought in to this basically beyond "how much fun" I had seeing the movie and how "re-watchable" they are. Pretty much the way I rank Star Wars.

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
Antman and the Wasp
Thor
Antman
Spiderman Homecoming
Black Panther
Iron Man 3
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

Well, your rankings of Homecoming and Winter Solider along with BP make me pretty much question your taste in general, so there you go
jeffk
AG
It's okay to acknowledge the importance of Black Panther and also admit that it wasn't an amazing film from a story standpoint.
MBAR
AG
jeffk said:

It's okay to acknowledge the importance of Black Panther and also admit that it wasn't an amazing film from a story standpoint.
The story was a classic type of story though. Is that the basis for best picture? Last year a pretty over used trope of forbidden love won. What matters if it was done well.

Off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time of thinking of a great best picture worthy movie I've seen this year. I think BP is definitely near the top of films I've seen so far this year.
hurleyag
AG
MBAR said:

jeffk said:

The story was a classic type of story though. Is that the basis for best picture? Last year a pretty over used trope of forbidden love won. What matters if it was done well.

Off the top of my head, I'm having a hard time of thinking of a great best picture worthy movie I've seen this year. I think BP is definitely near the top of films I've seen so far this year.
Most of the movies that make the push for Best Picture come out closer the the awards this fall/winter.
MBAR
AG
hurleyag said:

MBAR said:

jeffk said:

Most of the movies that make the push for Best Picture come out closer the the awards this fall/winter.
Thats true to an extent, but we usually have a few by this point. What do we have this year so far outside of BP? They're unlikely to consider a Quiet Place even though that's probably the best movie I've seen this year. I honestly can't think of any.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

While it's true that the more obvious "Oscar bait" movies come out around Christmas, there are many exceptions.

Last year, Get Out came out in February and Dunkirk was a summer movie. A few years ago, Mad Max: Fury Road was also a summer movie. American Sniper even came out in January...before the Oscars for the previous year's films was broadcast.

Point is: while the Oscar-bait films will always come out late in the year, now that there are up to 10 slots there are plenty of room for summer or even spring films to be nominated.
Sex Panther
AG
BP is firmly middle of the pack for me, and in my opinion (again, just my opinion) it was the number 3 MCU film in 2018, out of 3.
Farmer1906
AG
Sex Panther said:

BP is firmly middle of the pack for me, and in my opinion (again, just my opinion) it was the number 3 MCU film in 2018, out of 3.
It might even be the #6 out 6 MCU movies that came out the 2 years and that still isn't a knock.
Geriatric Punk
AG
fig96 said:

Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
Antman and the Wasp
Thor
Antman
Spiderman Homecoming
Black Panther
Iron Man 3
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

Well, your rankings of Homecoming and Winter Solider along with BP make me pretty much question your taste in general, so there you go
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Geriatric Punk said:

fig96 said:

Urban Ag said:

fig96 said:

YouBet said:

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor Ragnorak
Antman and the Wasp
Thor
Antman
Spiderman Homecoming
Black Panther
Iron Man 3
Doctor Strange
Iron Man 2
Incredible Hulk

It's a credit to marvel and their direction that the only movies on that list that I wouldn't find an excuse to watch if they were on would be Hulk.

**Haven't seen Thor 2**
rhutton125
AG
The only thing that held it back in my eyes was the action. It was fine, but the BP action in Civil War was top-notch.

For me, BP is at the bottom of the top-third for me. That's Iron Man 1, Doctor Strange level. Good company.

If it had Winter Soldier action, it could have been up there with... Winter Soldier. TWS and Civil War spoiled me for action.
YouBet
AG
fig96 said:

YouBet said:

It was just an average film to me. No where near Winter Soldier which I happened to watch this last weekend as it was on cable. That movie is greatness.

- The action in BP was lackluster.
- Martin Freeman's character, while perfectly cast, was completely wasted and not representative of his character in the comics. I read close to 40 issues of BP last year including the arc this movie pulled from and I'm not sure how you don't tap into Freeman's talents here. He was made for this role.
- I got zero movie-making Joy from it if that makes any sense.
- I was annoyed by the little sister.
- I did enjoy the bald gal. She was great.
- Rhinos were dumb to me.
- If not for it's location as the final fight in IF it's not even necessary to watch in the overall MCU timeline.

My wife and I had a simultaneously "meh" reaction of the film in the parking lot walking to the car.
Urban Ag
AG
Couldn't agree more. The little sister is very annoying. The bald chick is awesome.
First Page Last Page
Page 289 of 792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.