*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,772 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

That sounds unfortunately dead on.

He was fired like immediately, if they'd actually stepped back and considered the entire situation (timeline, context, etc.) I think it could've gone very differently.
TCTTS
AG
Yep.
Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS said:

Yep.
TCTTS
AG
I try whenever I can to acknowledge when someone replies to a post of mine. Sometimes I have more to add, sometimes I don't.
OnlyForNow
AG
Tweet removed?
gougler08
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Tweet removed?
Yep.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Details on the removed tweet?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Some experienced talent reps estimate that due to the unique situation, Gunn could receive a payout of $7 million to $10 million, if not potentially higher. And, more importantly, he would be free to take on another project immediately. Also affecting the negotiations is that sources say Disney plans on using Gunn's script for the third movie.

I don't get why this is such big news: of course Gunn was not going to have trouble finding his next job. Why is anyone treating this like a triumphant comeback?

He didn't end up on the Weinstein thread for something possibly criminal. He's not a victim of the #metoo movement. He just never deleted some old tweets that were jokes in really bad taste and Disney was forced to cut ties with him in a PR move. Other than being one of the few people actually fired from a Marvel movie, his career is intact and he just moves on to the next gig.
bedofbrass33
AG
Lots of folks view the world through a victim lens. Since Gunn is a "survivor", no matter how inconsequential the speed bump actually is, he is to be lauded for his triumph over I'm not actually sure what. Being fired from a job for being a dumbass a few years ago?

Its similar to the stay at home moms who sacrifice "everything" for their kids and post about it incessantly on Facebook looking for validation.

We've lost perspective of what true hardship is.
jtstanley4621
AG
bedofbrass33 said:

Lots of folks view the world through a victim lens. Since Gunn is a "survivor", no matter how inconsequential the speed bump actually is, he is to be lauded for his triumph over I'm not actually sure what. Being fired from a job for being a dumbass a few years ago?

Its similar to the stay at home moms who sacrifice "everything" for their kids and post about it incessantly on Facebook looking for validation.

We've lost perspective of what true hardship is.
Man IDK, being around kids 24/7 is absolutely exhausting and usually a disaster. I don't think being a stay at home mom is a major hardship, but I do not envy them. Little kids can be the worst
fig96
AG
Because it's nice to see a guy who does good work get some opportunities after being tried and convicted in the court of public opinion?

Again, some of y'all seem to just like to hate on people.
Ulrich
Except that he wasn't tried and convicted in the court of public opinion. The public pretty much didn't know about this until Disney fired him because a handful of trolls startled them into a knee jerk reaction. Public opinion, especially in the entertainment industry, has been pretty solidly on his side throughout.

I'm not rooting against him and this brouhaha was not "good" for his career, but it's not like there is a huge comeback story here. He's getting a 10 million dollar consolation prize, his professional/commercial reputation took no damage, and the whole thing lasted about ten minutes.
fig96
AG
Not sure I entirely agree there, lots of people were pretty up in arms about it. The troll started it, but it was public outcry that got him fired (albeit very quickly and before most had a chance to fairly evaluate).

And in any case, so what? The article doesn't paint it as some massive comeback, it says that he got fired and is quickly being courted by other studios. It's not massive news, it's one of a dozen articles that HP puts out every day.

I just don't understand why anyone feels this need to make that point that he's not overcoming much or that others are painting him as a victim or whatever. No one said he was, and he's actually been quite quiet and civil throughout the entire story.

jtstanley4621
AG
I don't really think anyone is seeing Gunn's "comeback story" as some sort of triumph over anything. In my opinion, the apology well ahead of them "resurfacing" was sufficient. In Disney's PR eyes, it wasn't. That's fine. It was a dumb thing for him to do in the first place, and he's got to deal with the consequences of that.

Edit to say I agree with fig96. I don't really think Gunn has asked for sympathy, and has handled it pretty fairly.
MBAR
AG
fig96 said:

Because it's nice to see a guy who does good work get some opportunities after being tried and convicted in the court of public opinion?

LOL.

Can we stop martyring this guy? He's got just as many - if not more people supporting him than hating on him.
MBAR
AG
I don't think he was fired because of some massive outcry. I've seen FAR more stuff in support of Gunn than against. Honestly I'm just ready for it all to go away. I don't feel strongly about it in his favor or against. He's not the devil, and he's not a victim either.
AliasMan02
AG
MBAR said:

I don't think he was fired because of some massive outcry. I've seen FAR more stuff in support of Gunn than against. Honestly I'm just ready for it all to go away. I don't feel strongly about it in his favor or against. He's not the devil, and he's not a victim either.

He was fired because of the fear of a potential outcry.
MooreTrucker
AG
Time to move on from this story.
fig96
AG
MBAR said:

fig96 said:

LOL.

Can we stop martyring this guy? He's got just as many - if not more people supporting him than hating on him.
No one is martyring him. No one has even brought it up except in response to people talking about how he doesn't need to be martyred and how's he's not a victim.

I think he got a bit of an unfair shake, but he also brought it on himself and the consequences are understandable. And don't think anyone here has claimed otherwise.
jabberwalkie09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Time to move on from this story.

As long as the cast of GotG, specifically Dave Batista, continue to make a point of saying things like I'll honor my commitments but if Gunn isn't rehired I'm done, it'll continue to be a story.

Not to mention that as long as Kevin Feige stays quiet on the whole deal, people will say that Disney/Iger overstepped their bounds. Even though Disney has allowed it to function independently, Marvel Studios is still a subsidiary.
TCTTS
AG
Not so fast...

MBAR
AG
fig96 said:

MBAR said:

fig96 said:

LOL.

No one is martyring him. No one has even brought it up except in response to people talking about how he doesn't need to be martyred and how's he's not a victim.

I think he got a bit of an unfair shake, but he also brought it on himself and the consequences are understandable. And don't think anyone here has claimed otherwise.
Fair
gougler08
AG
It never ends
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Not so fast...

Ooooooo, calling in the big guns.

No pun intended.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

Not so fast...

Honestly, I think that everyone can just wait a month or so, then quietly re-hire Gunn....and no one will care enough to give a sh*t anymore.

Seriously, by September this will be a long-forgotten non-story that even the alt-right trolls who started this whole thing will have moved on from.
TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
Win/win. Instead of a new director having to answer "will this be as good as 1 and 2?" in every interview, you have Gunn up there saying how crass humor like that is inappropriate.

Constant good buzz or bad buzz, your call. IMO.
jeffk
AG
They'll probably have to recast Groot with that long of a delay between films. He's growing like a weed and his appearance won't fit the new timeline.
PatAg
AG
There was a brief moment where DC had a chance to make a great hire with Gunn.
Dro07
AG
They could quite pull the trigger...
Ulrich
They're firing blanks.
texasaggie04
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

dromo07 said:

WB be like.... BRUH help us with the DCE... WTF ever we call it now!!!
They already did that kind of thing with the Avengers director coming in for Justice League. Luke warm results at best.

I don't think the director mattered as much. Marvel did it right by introducing these characters over ten years. DC (and the x-men movies too) have been trying to cram in as many characters as possible in one or two movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
they need to realize that the core audience for GOTG doesn't give 2 sheets about this.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

dromo07 said:

WB be like.... BRUH help us with the DCE... WTF ever we call it now!!!
They already did that kind of thing with the Avengers director coming in for Justice League. Luke warm results at best.

I don't think the director mattered as much. Marvel did it right by introducing these characters over ten years. DC (and the x-men movies too) have been trying to cram in as many characters as possible in one or two movies.
This is correct. DC panicked after seeing the success that Marvel had and rushed their own properties so that they could catch up. Too bad, because if these were done right, they could easily have matched Marvel with a far more well known primary character base. And Darkseid > Thanos, who in cinematic history is arguably one of the all-time badass villains.
First Page Last Page
Page 285 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.