*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,511,635 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly. And agree with it or not, there IS consistency in that at least.
Farmer1906
AG
GotG2 was every bit as good as GotG1. Both are top 5 MCU. Facts.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Opinions.

GotG Vol 1 > GotG Vol 2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
1 is better than 2
PatAg
AG
I actually agree with you in liking 1 more than 2, but I still really liked 2
PatAg
AG
I don't think Gunn was trying to be 'funny' , he was going for shocking.
If he had made actually funny jokes, the outrage isnt there imo.
rhutton125
AG
Side note, Gunn wrote the invisible Drax joke in IW but the rest was Marcus and McFeeley. Gunn was a consultant but he didn't write every line of dialogue or their portion of the script or anything.

I think people have enough handle on the Guardians to carry them into the future. It was bound to happen eventually anyway.
YellowPot_97
AG
hopefully someone is going through Rian Johnson's old tweets right now
SeattleAgJr
YellowPot_97 said:

hopefully someone is going through Rian Johnson's old tweets right now

ha! please, baby Anakin. make it so!
MBAR
AG
I don't know why people are saying "zero tolerance policy". There's no indication that thats what this is. It wasn't a one time isolated tweet.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I can't find anything online, but a friend of mine said he heard a rumor that Charlie Cox (Daredevil) has been spotted on the Spider-Man set.
rhutton125
AG
That would rule, but I can't see that if it takes place in Europe. NYC for sure though - would be incredible.
Bruce Almighty
AG
rhutton125 said:

That would rule, but I can't see that if it takes place in Europe. NYC for sure though - would be incredible.

It could be a couple things. Charlie Cox is from England and could have been just visiting the set, or he has a cameo as I'm sure at least part of the movie is set in NYC.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Searching online, theres a ton of articles from over a week ago where he was asked in an interview "what MCU character would you most like to team up with?" He answered "Spider-Man"

I think it just may be the case of people just reading headlines and inferring incorrectly
Bobcat06
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

How did this suddenly surface now?

And this is getting pretty ridiculous. We're at the point where decade-old joke tweets are now a fireable offense?
Why were Gunn's tweets ok when he was hired in 2013 but a fireable offense in 2018?

Roseanne Barr

In firing Barr for her tweets with racist jokes, Disney effectively took the position that if it's employee's social media content did not match the company's values that the employee would be terminated. Now, if Disney fires an employee for racist jokes, how will they react to pedophile jokes? Disney can never be seen even inadvertently endorsing pedophilia.

Keep in mind, this is Disney, not Apple, not GE. Other companies may be able to withstand being seen as not kid firendly, but marketing to children is what Disney does. Star Wars and Marvel and great, but between all the Disney & Pixar movies, Disney channel. Disneyland and all toy merchandise, children's entertain is the cornerstone of Disney's business. If Disney hadn't fired Gunn, the blogosphere would start a campaign "Disney is against racism, but they're okay with pedophilia" and Disney would be sunk. If 10% of parents boycotted Disney, it would affect the bottom line.

Personally, I disagree with online mob justice. However as soon as Disney fired Barr, they were compelled to take action against Gunn.
fig96
AG
Or they could've said "We absolutely find what James said reprehensible, but these are comments from several years ago that he has already acknowledged and apologized for. His social media posts since that time are of an entirely different tone and content."

Gunn's tweets were absolutely in poor taste, but he's shown no evidence of the same sort of broadcasted opinions since then. Roseanne's recent comments reinforce other comments and opinions she's publicly made quite recently.
TCTTS
AG
Bobcat06
AG
James Gunn is a great director. I take him at his word that he has changed.

Nonetheless DISNEY CANNOT AFFORD TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH PEDOPHILIA, even passively by not firing an employee. And if Disney hadn't fired Gunn, the blogs that dug up his tweets would have accused Disney of defending pedophilia.

Quick history lesson:

In the 1980s, Disney was in a rut producing flops like The Black Cauldron. Michael Eisner comes in put emphasis on quality and turns it into an animated film powerhouse. Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King. Each film would surpass the previous in ticket sales and got to the point where they were banking almost $1B per animated film. Then in 1995, Disney was accused of inserting subliminal messages in their films. Parents stopped taking their kids to see their films (speaking from experience) and sales plummeted. Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules all grossed a meager $300M. Rumors, even if they aren't true, can damage a company's revenue.

Firing Gunn was not an ethical or moral decision. It was a business decision. Disney must maintain a family friendly image. Their bottom line depends on it.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Nonetheless DISNEY CANNOT AFFORD TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH PEDOPHILIA, even passively by not firing an employee. And if Disney hadn't fired Gunn, the blogs that dug up his tweets would have accused Disney of defending pedophilia.

Quick history lesson:

In the 1980s, Disney was in a rut producing flops like The Black Cauldron. Michael Eisner comes in put emphasis on quality and turns it into an animated film powerhouse. Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King. Each film would surpass the previous in ticket sales and got to the point where they were banking almost $1B per animated film. Then in 1995, Disney was accused of inserting subliminal messages in their films. Parents stopped taking their kids to see their films (speaking from experience) and sales plummeted. Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules all grossed a meager $300M. Rumors, even if they aren't true, can damage a company's revenue.

Firing Gunn was not an ethical or moral decision. It was a business decision. Disney must maintain a family friendly image. Their bottom line depends on it.

First, that reaction was in the 1990's, compared to what the public's reaction today would be.

Second, that was animated children's movies. This is live-action movies geared toward older kids and adults. And they're seen more as a Marvel property than a Disney/Pixar type of thing.

Third, those were images inserted into actual movies. This is about tweets over 8 years old that have nothing to do with current Marvel/Disney movies.

Apples and oranges.
PatAg
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Quick history lesson:

This is a serious post?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Quick history lesson:

You may want to fact check your box office stats. Lion King was the only one that approached a billion dollars. Pocahontas made more than Little Mermaid and wasn't that far behind Beauty and the Beast. Pocahontas and all the others after weren't that much different than the other Disney movies of the early 90s besides Lion King, which was an outlier for that era. Those movies did make less, but it had more to do with being inferior movies than the conspiracy subliminal message crap.
bearamedic99
AG
PatAg said:

Bobcat06 said:

Quick history lesson:

This is a serious post?

I don't know if I can trust a guy who didn't like The Black Cauldron.

Hercules, Hunchback, & Pocahontas did poorly because they were lesser movies. Hercules was just wrote odd. Hunchback was a very dark story that they tried to lighten up with talking gargoyles. Pocahontas was an odd story of a dark point in history; Pocahontas was a youth that the mouse aged to make it less creepy when Mel Gibson's voice seduced her.

Yes, most of Disney's source material is from dsrk sources but these last three did not work out.
AliasMan02
AG
The Black Cauldron, good or not, is one of the worst box office flops of all time and nearly forced Disney to bankrupt its feature animation arm.
Dro07
AG
nvm didn't work
SeattleAgJr
Cholo Thanos and the Infinity Chancla at San Diego Comic-Con 2018

bearamedic99
AG
sometimes the best cosplays have a budget of $1.98
TexasAggie_02
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Cholo Thanos and the Infinity Chancla at San Diego Comic-Con 2018

TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
I know this is true, but isn't it reasonable to assume that it's no longer business as usual at Fox and that there are projects that have been put on hold, just from uncertainty?
tamusc
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I know this is true, but isn't it reasonable to assume that it's no longer business as usual at Fox and that there are projects that have been put on hold, just from uncertainty?
That seems shortsighted. If the deal falls through, then Fox is completely screwed if they have no content to sell and then their cash flow drys up. From a business standpoint, you would have to continue to operate normally until the deal is actually finalized, right?
AgfromHOU
AG
https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/21st-century-fox-disney-merger-shareholder-vote-1202888023/

Do y'all think that Disney can pull off adding X-Men, X-Force, and Fantastic Four to the universe seamlessly? Or would it be better to finish the next "Infinity War"-like phase system first? Or even have a separate X-Men universe but add FF to the MCU?

I just think that's a ton of new characters, and only doing three movies a year won't do it all justice.
Ulrich
AliasMan02 said:

I've been on both sides of acquisitions in a different industry. Theoretically the companies continue to act just like they will remain separate, that's actually a legal requirement (simplifying somewhat). In practice, people are people so sometimes the acquiree suffers from turnover and low morale/motivation, which can make it difficult to move forward as efficiently as they might otherwise.
TexasAggie_02
AG
X Force could stay in it's own universe, since Deadpool has kept itself separate from the X Men universe.

F4 could be added pretty easily, since that is a science experiment gone wrong

X men will be the trickiest, but i think that they will find a way to pull it off. Would be weird to just say "Surprise, the mutants have been around all along, just never bothered to actually do any superhero stuff." Maybe the mutant gene has existed for generations, but requires a specific environmental trigger. Perhaps something in the MCU happens to trigger it on a widescale event, ie The Snap.

You can retcon easily, and say that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver had the gene, and that HYDRA knew about it. The mind stone was able to activate the gene. Thanos' snap effected every human being, whether you were dusted or not, and unlocks the gene in a number of people.
AgfromHOU
AG
Maybe they can bring back Quicksilver after A4
MooreTrucker
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

X Force could stay in it's own universe, since Deadpool has kept itself separate from the X Men universe.

Is Deadpool really separate, or do they just avoid a connection sort. Because the big guy and Mega-whatever are Xmen, right? And he refers to Wolverine and Xavier. And doesn't at least one scene between Mega-whatever and the big guy take place in the actual Xmen house/school?
First Page Last Page
Page 277 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.