*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,511,744 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
SeattleAgJr
How long do you want to ignore this user?

PatAg said:

It was mentioned earlier, but I personally think this is probably going to result in the next Guardians not being as good. He has such a distinct vision and style, I don't think someone can just step in and recreate it.

I am one of the few who thought that GotG2 was a lesser movie than the first. The whole Peter's dad storyline really dragged the movie down for me, especially with the culmination in the ridiculous zero-G "fight".

I think we are OK. All of the pieces (characters, designs, etc) are in place, so a GOOD writer/director combo can bring the trilogy to a close.

TCTTS
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

PatAg said:

It was mentioned earlier, but I personally think this is probably going to result in the next Guardians not being as good. He has such a distinct vision and style, I don't think someone can just step in and recreate it.

I am one of the few who thought that GotG2 was a lesser movie than the first. The whole Peter's dad storyline really dragged the movie down for me, especially with the culmination in the ridiculous zero-G "fight".

The Collective
AG
PatAg said:

It was already an uphill battle to keep pace, but it is damn near impossible now.

I'm so tired of judging the past through today's lense.
Ulrich
IMO a lot of the things that make Guardians good and fun aren't tremendously subtle or difficult. If the next one is not very good it'll be because someone tried to get overly clever and I don't think Feige will let that happen.
Sex Panther
AG
There's an obvious choice to take over... Edgar Wright

Very good friends with Gunn and can consult with him

Already has Marvel familiarity from when he was attached to Ant Man

Has a great eye for comedy and visual storytelling

Proved he could handle a studio film just fine with Baby Driver so Marvel might be more on board now

Has the same knack for finding the perfect song for scenes and using them effectively
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
AliasMan02
AG
I have the perfect solution.

They need to give Guardians 3 to Rian Johnson.
TCTTS
AG
YES.
Fenrir
I'm always on board with Edgar. Would be a good meal culpa from Marvel to give it to him. Trust your directors, Marvel.
SeattleAgJr

b****, please.

ALL of the stuff with Peter's dad was horribly executed.
The stuff with Drax and Nebula was neither amusing nor touching.
and almost nothing with Rocket/Groot was entertaining.

The only story lines that really worked were those with Peter/Yondu and Nebula/Gamora, and they were executed fantastically.

Everything else was ridiculous, and not in a good way.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I have the perfect solution.

They need to give Guardians 3 to Rian Johnson.

And only in part bc of the Pandora box you're about to open.
rhutton125
AG
I also wasn't very impressed by GotG2. Its bottom of the middle tier for me. Emotions mostly landed, but the action was lackluster.

Here's an unpopular opinion, and I'm certainly not trying to pile onto the guy. I admire a lot of things about Gunn and his willingness to engage with fans is commendable. But I think, based on commentaries and some of those fan interactions, that he reads his own press a little bit too much.

GotG2 has a lot of humor that relies on fans loving these characters already. Think of how many times Drax has a big belly laugh. Rocket too. That always sat a little weird with me. In the DVD commentaries, there's a bit of "this is a great joke I came up with right here" - not an egregious amount, but not super humble either.

I also remember a particular fan interaction. Someone said how Drax barely does any fighting moments in Vol 2 (which is true). Gunn replies "HE HANGS OUT ON A WIRE AND SHOOTS A SPACESHIP WITH A GUN!" - which is also true. But that's literally 20 minutes into the movie and Drax doesn't fight again after that. So I think the fan's point still stands.

I thought Guardians 2 had probably one character too many, since Drax and Mantis had nothing to do for the most part. And I thought the Sovereign and Taserface were ****. Ego was good, but the finale was lame (Pac-Man and a second round with the Sovereign's bland space balls). Could have been better.

I guess Vol 2 just soured me a tiny bit on Gunn, so I wasn't very sure about Vol 3 or the news that he'd be helping plan the cosmic universe for years to come. I don't know how to feel about any of this, to be honest. And I say this as someone who really liked Guardians 1. It's still top-4 for me.

Just weird news, but I think the MCU will be alright. Plenty of talented directors out there.
MBAR
AG
Sex Panther said:

There's an obvious choice to take over... Edgar Wright

Very good friends with Gunn and can consult with him

Already has Marvel familiarity from when he was attached to Ant Man

Has a great eye for comedy and visual storytelling

Proved he could handle a studio film just fine with Baby Driver so Marvel might be more on board now

Has the same knack for finding the perfect song for scenes and using them effectively
Edgar Wright is the perfect answer except that he and Disney already had issues when he was going to do ant man
MBAR
AG
rhutton125 said:

I also wasn't very impressed by GotG2. Its bottom of the middle tier for me. Emotions mostly landed, but the action was lackluster.

Here's an unpopular opinion, and I'm certainly not trying to pile onto the guy. I admire a lot of things about Gunn and his willingness to engage with fans is commendable. But I think, based on commentaries and some of those fan interactions, that he reads his own press a little bit too much.

GotG2 has a lot of humor that relies on fans loving these characters already. Think of how many times Drax has a big belly laugh. Rocket too. That always sat a little weird with me. In the DVD commentaries, there's a bit of "this is a great joke I came up with right here" - not an egregious amount, but not super humble either.

I also remember a particular fan interaction. Someone said how Drax barely does any fighting moments in Vol 2 (which is true). Gunn replies "HE HANGS OUT ON A WIRE AND SHOOTS A SPACESHIP WITH A GUN!" - which is also true. But that's literally 20 minutes into the movie and Drax doesn't fight again after that. So I think the fan's point still stands.

I thought Guardians 2 had probably one character too many, since Drax and Mantis had nothing to do for the most part. And I thought the Sovereign and Taserface were ****. Ego was good, but the finale was lame (Pac-Man and a second round with the Sovereign's bland space balls). Could have been better.

I guess Vol 2 just soured me a tiny bit on Gunn, so I wasn't very sure about Vol 3 or the news that he'd be helping plan the cosmic universe for years to come. I don't know how to feel about any of this, to be honest. And I say this as someone who really liked Guardians 1. It's still top-4 for me.

Just weird news, but I think the MCU will be alright. Plenty of talented directors out there.
Man taserface was hilarious.
TCTTS
AG
Things are about to get interesting...

MBAR
AG
RE: the controversy. I'm all for people growing and becoming better people, but I'm also for there being consequences to your actions. The two are not mutually exclusive. I don't have a problem with the firing and I do think that a good deal of the uproar is because he's a liberal.

I hate the "it was a joke" excuse. I loathe it. If you're a grown ass person, then don't say stupid **** on the internet. It's not a very hard rule to live by. If you can't do that and it bites you in the ass, I really have little sympathy for you.

If its a right wing or left wing group trying to score a "win" I don't care. Just don't say stupid **** on the internet. It's honestly not that hard.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Things are about to get interesting...

I don't think Disney will cave and I don't think that the actors will ultimately do anything anyway. But we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
I'm in agreement for the most part. He shouldn't have said that stuff and should have been fired for doing so... years ago. THAT'S what gets me, is the timing. Long after he already apologized... long after all of this was public... long after Disney should have done their due diligence... they randomly fire him because some assh*le brought all this up again with a vendetta. It's Disney's hypocrisy and inconsistency that's out of whack. For instance, as mentioned earlier, why haven't they cut ties with Depp for hitting his wife?
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm in agreement for the most part. He shouldn't have said that stuff and should have been fired for doing so... years ago. THAT'S what gets me, is the timing. Long after he already apologized... long after all of this was public... long after Disney should have done their due diligence... they randomly fire him because some assh*le brought all this up again with a vendetta. It's Disney's hypocrisy and inconsistency that's out of whack. For instance, as mentioned earlier, why haven't they cutting ties with Depp for hitting his wife?
I don't disagree with you. I certainly don't think Disney is doing this because of any sense of right or wrong but rather out of fear of a prolonged protest of some sort.
fig96
AG
Ulrich said:

IMO a lot of the things that make Guardians good and fun aren't tremendously subtle or difficult. If the next one is not very good it'll be because someone tried to get overly clever and I don't think Feige will let that happen.
Strongly disagree, it IS the subtle stuff that made Guardians so good.

Making a blow em up action film isn't difficult, by making one with characters you genuinely care about is really tough. He had a certain sensibility that's really hard to replicate.
TCTTS
AG
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

I'm in agreement for the most part. He shouldn't have said that stuff and should have been fired for doing so... years ago. THAT'S what gets me, is the timing. Long after he already apologized... long after all of this was public... long after Disney should have done their due diligence... they randomly fire him because some assh*le brought all this up again with a vendetta. It's Disney's hypocrisy and inconsistency that's out of whack. For instance, as mentioned earlier, why haven't they cut ties with Depp for hitting his wife?
i think you alluded to this a page or two ago, but the way Disney has handled this really makes me wonder if either: (a) there's something else Disney has learned that's in line with those tweets, or (b) there's some other, unrelated reason they want to move on from Gunn.

because disney could've easily just released a statement that they knew about the tweets and the apology and made the decision to hire Gunn once they were convinced that he fully realized the inappropriate nature of the tweets and that he truly regretted them. then you can point to work since then as evidence that he's realized you don't have to be provocative or cutting edge to be funny.
YouBet
AG
I hope this zero tolerance policy we are hurtling towards with social media communication kills it altogether. At this point in its evolution, there is literally zero reason to have a public account as a private citizen or if you are in a position of authority at your company. Most of our senior leaders at work have abandoned it unless you are in a position that "requires" it or have relocated to LinkedIn which is still largely sterile and non-controversial.

I opened a Twitter account about 2 years ago and thankfully never used it and I've abandoned Facebook (although my account is still out there).

This tit for tat culture war being fought out over social media is a volunteer war. Just stay out of it.

On Gunn's firing, you can't get mad at it regardless of the timing. It will just continue the claims of hypocrisy which are generally valid and he was a dumbass for tweeting stuff like that at least without the context or job description of someone like a Ricky Gervais.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm sure Disney is perplexed. I'm certain they felt like they'd be praised for firing him.

I just can't get over the weird been diagram of people's opinions on like... Gunn, Roseanne, Depp, and... pick an abusive NFL star.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

almost nothing with Rocket/Groot was entertaining
To those of us with tweens/teens, Groot's aging has been familiarly hilarious.

Rocket - that's one of the best characters ever put into any movie. The taserface stuff was very well done comedy. Then there was the exchange between Rocket and Quill over what Rocket would put in Quill's sleeping bag, to which Drax responded with a guffaw and the line, "I have famously huge turds" or some such.
YouBet
AG
I liked GoTG 2 but do agree on the Dad story line getting a little ridiculous toward the end.

I've also thought all along how completely ineffective Drax is as a fighter in these movies. His name is Drax the Destroyer yet almost every time he actually gets involved he either gets his ass kicked or is just ineffective. And, yet, at the same time he appears to be invulnerable. Really, really weird character he's turned out to be from a powers perspective.
fig96
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I'm sure Disney is perplexed. I'm certain they felt like they'd be praised for firing him.

I just can't get over the weird been diagram of people's opinions on like... Gunn, Roseanne, Depp, and... pick an abusive NFL star.
I think a lot of it depends who they are and how they currently seem to treat people.

Roseanne, for example, was abrasive no matter your politics and has said more than one thing in recent memory that was in bad taste at best. Gunn, in the other hand, is a pretty solid human being by all accounts and making really heart warming inclusive stories that people love and relate to.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Re: the dusting of the Guardian director ...

I find his six-year-old comments to be disgusting. Disney is right to have fired him given the climate that every one has been forced to live in these days. Having said that, I don't know this guy in any way, shape or form, so I cannot say anything regarding his character or how he lives his life.

But the reality is that there are those in our society who have foisted this insanity upon everyone. Words can be used against you. Doesn't matter if you said something yesterday or 50 years ago (ie, see "cleansing" of history, removal of statuary that offends someone, etc). One does not have to be famous to be subject to this. This can happen to anyone, so it is to your benefit to delete as much old stuff as you can come across. Of course, simply deleting that kind of thing does not mean it is gone forever. Better yet, get off all social media or never get on it.

As for the third Guardians, I'm not worried about that movie's quality one bit. Marvel has earned their reputation; they will put someone in charge who will make a good movie that will likely fit well with the previous entries in terms of look, sound, and tone.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've always said that Disney cares about one thing, and one thing only: The dollar. Every decision they make is about how they can maximize the most profits. When Disney inserts a gay character into a movie, its not because they are trying to push agendas, its because they think it will be more profitable in the long run (even if it does alienate a small portion of society enough that they will "boycott" the movie). I have a hard time believing that Disney didn't know about those tweets when they hired Gunn, but he was an unknown and those tweets weren't known to the general public. Now they are and Disney is making a business decision. They're months away from one of the biggest, most important movies under the Disney brand of all time and they don't want controversy. There may be some people that are upset of his firing, but people aren't going to boycott Marvel movies because of it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Did they handle them differently? Didn't both get fired.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That iPhone post has been on multiple threads now.
Claude!
The zero tolerance for controversy stuff is ridiculous, but if it's the world we live in, it should apply to everyone without exception, remorse, or pity. Then maybe we can take a look at where we are and step back from the ledge just a bit.
TCTTS
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Did they handle them differently? Didn't both get fired.

He's commenting on the fact that Roseanne said far worse in her past, yet she wasn't fired for her past comments, only her most recent comments. In other words, Disney basically turned a blind eye to her past in that instance. She wasn't reprimanded until it happened "again." But in Gunn's case, they ignored his past comments as well - until someone made a stink of them. So that tweet is simply pointing out the lack of consistency in their firings.

That said, both were fired over public outcry, so I get that aspect, it's just that one of them hadn't said/done anything in years.
TCTTS
AG
Claude! said:

The zero tolerance for controversy stuff is ridiculous, but if it's the world we live in, it should apply to everyone without exception, remorse, or pity. Then maybe we can take a look at where we are and step back from the ledge just a bit.

All said and done, I agree with this. This situation sucks, but it should cut both ways.
AgMarauder04
AG
In other words, no one cares until the public makes a big deal...
First Page Last Page
Page 276 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.