*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,576 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Summer competition. And the novelty factor of Black Panther was huge for it, being the first African superhero.
More rhetorical. Just crazy to me.

It'd be like Rogue One outgrossing Force Awakens.
Bruce Almighty
AG
yukmonkey said:

How in the world could it not beat Black Panther?
Almost everyone that saw Infinity War saw Black Panther. There were people seeing Black Panther that were seeing a superhero film in the theater for the first time and did not go see Infinity War.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I also think Black Panther is probably more rewatchable, in the sense that it's a fun movie with an optimistic ending.

I bet repeat viewings was a HUGE factor as well.

The same is likely true of TFA / TLJ.
redline248
AG
Any chance that word of panther's lottery roll is spreading, and people are not seeing IW because of that?
rhutton125
AG
Summer competition is the big one. Black Panther was #1 for like 5 straight weeks. IW had 3 great weekends, but here comes the sequel to the highest grossing R film of all time, then a Star Wars film.
dave94
AG
redline248 said:

Any chance that word of panther's lottery roll is spreading, and people are not seeing IW because of that?
redline248
AG
Are you repeating my question or confused by my use of "lottery roll?"
dave94
AG
redline248 said:

Are you repeating my question or confused by my use of "lottery roll?"
Confused.

Do you mean people have heard that he "lost" the lottery? And just don't want to see it?
redline248
AG
Yes. Sorry if it wasn't perfect usage
TexasAggie_02
AG
jtstanley4621
AG
For real though, I think they could have made a much better movie. I wish they had done it this way: Killmonger goes around Wakanda recruiting tribes to his cause. I think that could have underscored the point they were trying to make about conflict within the black community and how it relates to slavery. Maybe there are a few skirmishes and attacks within Wakanda that ensue as he tries to take the throne.

Then maybe Killmonger breaks into the throne room and challenges for the throne, then says who he is as a twist near the end as a way of proving his legitimacy. Then the climax of the movie could have been the battle for the throne, ending with Killmonger throwing Black Panther off the cliff and assuming the mantle as the new Black Panther. The movie ends with them reviving Black Panther and the next movie sets up for a huge battle for Wakanda with Killmonger.

But they needed Wankanda unified for Infinity War I guess. Which makes sense since it's a new place and then the main battle wouldn't have been just a basic superhero big city sort of battle. And I guess maybe they wanted a more positive type of movie, but I feel like the ending we got at the end of the movie would have been so much better/more meaningful if that were at the end of a sequel.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
How very Game of Thrones.

I like it.
Brick Tamland
Clark Gregg said in an interview he will be playing a S.H.I.E.L.D. newbie Agent Coulson in Captain Marvel

https://www.newsarama.com/40003-phil-coulson-will-be-a-s-h-i-e-l-d-newbie-in-captain-marvel-says-clark-gregg.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
IW has crossed $1.8B worldwide, should be topping TFA ($2.06B) in the next few weeks to take the #3 spot all time. (If China continues to hold strong.)
MrPlow2010
AG
I read that Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play Mysterio in Spiderman 2. This would be amazing if it happens. Mysterio is cool and it would be interesting to see how they portray him on the big screen without being cheesey.

Also Micheal Keaton is coming back as the Vulture.

Found the article. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jake-gyllenhaal-talks-star-spider-man-homecoming-2-1113627

AgMarauder04
AG
It'll have to, US is gonna not contribute a whole lot with DP2 and Han Solo coming out.
Farmer1906
AG
It took a pretty big drop this past weekend. It's only going to get worse. Putting IW, Solo, and DP2 this close together really hurt them imo. DP2 isn't event matching DP1 numbers.
Solo Tetherball Champ
jtstanley4621 said:

For real though, I think they could have made a much better movie. I wish they had done it this way: Killmonger goes around Wakanda recruiting tribes to his cause. I think that could have underscored the point they were trying to make about conflict within the black community and how it relates to slavery. Maybe there are a few skirmishes and attacks within Wakanda that ensue as he tries to take the throne.

Then maybe Killmonger breaks into the throne room and challenges for the throne, then says who he is as a twist near the end as a way of proving his legitimacy. Then the climax of the movie could have been the battle for the throne, ending with Killmonger throwing Black Panther off the cliff and assuming the mantle as the new Black Panther. The movie ends with them reviving Black Panther and the next movie sets up for a huge battle for Wakanda with Killmonger.

But they needed Wankanda unified for Infinity War I guess. Which makes sense since it's a new place and then the main battle wouldn't have been just a basic superhero big city sort of battle. And I guess maybe they wanted a more positive type of movie, but I feel like the ending we got at the end of the movie would have been so much better/more meaningful if that were at the end of a sequel.

I agree.

Since who T'Challa was established in Civil War, I feel the movie should have focused more on Wakanda and Kill-mongers plot to take over, with the film ending with him taking over as King (due to cheating somehow in the contest) with the misgivings of the rest of the Wakanda leadership. T'Challa, who is assumed to be dead, goes into exile.

A Part two would follow Kill-monger working to consolidate power, as a sort of Black Hitler in in 1933-1938, trying to establish himself as a ruler and seeking to create the conditions that would enable him to have people support his decisions to go to war (such as using Klaw to stage a terrorist attack in Wakanda using only white people as the agents). This would be a catalyst that makes the rest of the rulers be at least forced to go along with his plan due to the people's sentiment, but not knowing the full extent to how much Killmonger hates white people.

Meanwhile, T'challa would be in exile, almost following Kill-mongers footsteps in America. He would see issues affecting black people, but he would also see real progress that Kill-monger was blind to. Eventually, T'Challa is found by his sister or girlfriend and he learns what Killmonger is trying to do, and returns in time to stop it, with nearly the same ending sequence.

On the other hand, my plot additions have nearly turned this into a radicalized clone of the Lion King, but at least it addresses my main issues with the movie:
  • How everyone in this amazing, advanced society immediately accepted Kilmonger as King. You would think that someone would say "This man knows nothing about us, nothing about our culture, people, etc. He should not be king OR even be allowed to challenge for it".
  • This culture was reluctant to even give any sort of aid to its neighbors, but was immediately willing to go along with plans to send weapons across the world?
  • Giving T'Challa more of an arc
  • Presenting a foil to the black liberation on steroids viewpoint as presented by Killmonger, through T'Challa seeing the rest of the world.

Thats not to say I didn't think it was a good movie. I just felt there was a much better movie within it.

TexasAggie_02
AG
Or killmonger takes over, then dies in IW. TChalla comes out of exile to rally the troops in Avengers 4.
rhutton125
AG
I'm glad Marvel didn't take the approach of "let's stretch this into two movies." I think that would have been a dangerous decision, and could have left BP feeling very unsatisfying.

That said, quotes beforehand made it seem like T'Challa and Killmonger would have like a Magneto / Xavier rivalry, and unfortunately we didn't get to see anything like that. They probably meant more that it's an ideological split, but they probably could have mined it a bit more. But they built a whole world, so I'll take a gone-too-soon Michael B over stretching things out unnecessarily and leaving a film half-satisfying.
fig96
AG
I think Killmonger being allowed to challenge for the throne was also necessary. That was the whole point, that even though he hadn't been there he WAS one of them and he had the birthright to challenge .

Not to mention it revealed some shady things in the past that had never been addressed.
nickstro66
AG
MrPlow2010 said:

I read that Jake Gyllenhaal is in talks to play Mysterio in Spiderman 2. This would be amazing if it happens. Mysterio is cool and it would be interesting to see how they portray him on the big screen without being cheesey.

Also Micheal Keaton is coming back as the Vulture.

Found the article. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/jake-gyllenhaal-talks-star-spider-man-homecoming-2-1113627

I've also seen rumors about them casting Kraven the Hunter. If Jon Hamm wasn't involved in the X-Men Universe, I think he could be perfect as Kraven.
Farmer1906
AG
Why can't he do both?
redline248
AG
Brolin proves that it's possible.
Solo Tetherball Champ
rhutton125 said:

I'm glad Marvel didn't take the approach of "let's stretch this into two movies." I think that would have been a dangerous decision, and could have left BP feeling very unsatisfying.

That said, quotes beforehand made it seem like T'Challa and Killmonger would have like a Magneto / Xavier rivalry, and unfortunately we didn't get to see anything like that. They probably meant more that it's an ideological split, but they probably could have mined it a bit more. But they built a whole world, so I'll take a gone-too-soon Michael B over stretching things out unnecessarily and leaving a film half-satisfying.

I don't disagree with anything you say. I just felt unsatisfied from this movie, despite liking it a lot. There could have been a much longer and deeper story/arc for both characters here, which we didn't get for a myriad of reasons.
TCTTS
AG
aTmLoKi
AG
TCTTS said:

F Comcast!
Hulla Baller
AG
TCTTS said:

HeavyMetalAg
AG
I've read rumor that even if Comcast does win such a bid, there is language in the Marvel/Fox deal that the Marvel character rights would still revert to Marvel. Not sure how that would work, or if there is ANY level of truth to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Marvel Studios or Marvel Comics?

Edit: I guess it's irrelevant, Disney owns both.

So all Fox-owned characters are going to Disney regardless? That can't be right.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Marvel Studios or Marvel Comics?

Edit: I guess it's irrelevant, Disney owns both.

So all Fox-owned characters are going to Disney regardless? That can't be right.

That's what has me confused about the rumor. I've seen it a couple of times, but each time just wrote it off as too crazy to be true.
MBAR
AG
I'd be ok with Disney not getting the Marvel properties. They own too much as it is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Breaking news: Disney announces plans to buy Comcast
Brick Tamland
Yeah, people are claiming Fox isn't allowed to sell the rights to another party, so if Fox doesn't make movies within x number of years then Marvel Studios gets the characters back
MrPlow2010
AG
I agree. Had Disney owned the rights to Deadpool years ago we probably would have never had the movie.
First Page Last Page
Page 266 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.