*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,977 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know Gunn has said this before, but I am not a fan of the idea that this is a new Groot. that's not how it played at all for me when I saw GotG1, either. I assumed they were able to save original Groot and that it would just take awhile for him to grow back to normal size.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quinn said:

I know Gunn has said this before, but I am not a fan of the idea that this is a new Groot. that's not how it played at all for me when I saw GotG1, either. I assumed they were able to save original Groot and that it would just take awhile for him to grow back to normal size.
he's basically a tree cutting. So, a clone. Genetically, he'd be the same, but doesn't have any of old groot's memories. I'm okay with that.

In GOTG1, old groot was blown to smithereens, maybe in order to retain memories, they'd need a piece of his head wood, but rocket got a finger twig or something. It grows into a whole new plant that is genetically identical, but is it's own organism.
Quinn
AG
That's way more detailed than I care to get about this. I just want the tree creature to be the one that I loved from the first movie.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TCTTS said:

I think it's great that these "comic book movies" no longer have the stigma attached to them that actors feel that being in these films is beneath them anymore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which movie did it, I wonder?

You'd think it would have happened in 2008 with The Dark Knight and Iron Man, but I feel like the stigma continued well into the 2010's.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Honestly, I think Robert Redford agreeing to be in Winter Soldier was a pretty big deal. Him being in that movie (as a bad guy, no less!) seemed to validate that these comic book movies can be great films as well as summer blockbusters.

There were big, respected names in previous films, but landing Hollywood royalty like Redford opened them up to literally any actor.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Also, that's somehow from my hometown. Didn't see the location until just now. Wow.
DB Coach
AG
Hilarious! I teach and coach HS, and I would actually be surprised if no one else did the same thing in that class!
Brick Tamland
I read somewhere that Chadwick Boseman said he would rather have an action figure in his likeness than win an Oscar. He wants to inspire the younger generation of black people, and you can tell by the roles he's done over the years.
jtstanley4621
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I read somewhere that Chadwick Boseman said he would rather have an action figure in his likeness than win an Oscar. He wants to inspire the younger generation of black people, and you can tell by the roles he's done over the years.
I'm a white dude, but when I went to go see the movie I saw some black families there and there were younger kids who were absolutely PUMPED for the movie. That was cool to see.

It is cool that Marvel can give a platform for movies like that. I'm also pretty damn excited to see Captain Marvel.
512Ag
AG
Anthony Hopkins in Thor was a pretty big deal early on. It's been great seeing the big named, established actors continue to come into the universe.
redline248
AG
Does Jeff Bridges rank as big actor?
rhutton125
AG
Maybe it was a cumulative effect. I mean, Helen Mirren is in Fast 8, it doesn't really give that franchise much dramatic clout.
redline248
AG
You shut your damn mouth about F&F
redline248
fig96
AG
AggieDem said:

Anthony Hopkins in Thor was a pretty big deal early on. It's been great seeing the big named, established actors continue to come into the universe.
And Kenneth Branagh directed.
Sex Panther
AG
Even though Josh Brolin was great, I still think it would've been absolutely incredible if Marvel convinced Daniel Day Lewis to be Thanos
jeffk
AG
Sex Panther said:

Even though Josh Brolin was great, I still think it would've been absolutely incredible if Marvel convinced Daniel Day Lewis to be Thanos

Except for the part where DDL gets so into the part that he actually figures out a way to kill off half of the Earth's population.
TCTTS
Sex Panther
AG
jeffk said:

Sex Panther said:

Except for the part where DDL gets so into the part that he actually figures out a way to kill off half of the Earth's population.

Oscar... give it to him
Gigem314
AG
jeffk said:

Sex Panther said:

OnlyForNow
AG
This thread needs more of this and less of TLJ talk.
TexasAggie_02
AG
bearamedic99
AG
So, do we expect Avengers 4 to do better or worse than Infinity War?
Farmer1906
AG
Maybe
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And the remaining members of the Academy would still give him the Oscar.
Dr. Horrible
TexasAggie_02 said:

You're surprised by that? Even Mrs. Horrible caught that...
Liquid Wrench
Found a fun video on the evolution of the Hulk in TV and movies.

Tell me that isn't Michael Imperioli at the 2:15 mark.

It's not on his IMDB page, but I swear that's Spider around 1989 or so.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Judging by the last week or so, starting to look like it may not quite reach Black Panther, especially with most of its business coming on weekends, and those will slow way down starting this weekend with Deadpool 2 coming out.
rhutton125
AG
Just realized those are domestic totals. I know that's what most people focus on or cite, but the worldwide numbers for Infinity War are pretty impressive. #1 in the MCU already. Breaking records left and right.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, just realized that might be confusing. Fixed.
Phat32
AG
How in the world could it not beat Black Panther?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Summer competition. And the novelty factor of Black Panther was huge for it, being the first African superhero.
First Page Last Page
Page 265 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.