*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,513,633 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TFA & TLJ did about 54% overseas.

Avengers, AoU, and Civil War (poor man's Avengers) did a range of 59-67% overseas.

In order to match TFA's worldwide, it'll only need to do 765.3 domestically if it gets 63% of its total from overseas. That would mean IW would be the #3 grossing movie overseas ever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

Infinity War beat Justice League's entire haul... in three days
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Sex Panther said:

Infinity War beat Justice League's entire haul... in three days
I actually liked Justice League but I took it for what it was, an overall weak movie that I nevertheless geeked out on getting to see all these characters on the same screen together. Just talking off the top of my head, which Marvel movie would not have out-performed JL in any number of days?

DC hinted at Darkseid in BvS, then gave us Steppenwolf in JL. Steppenwolf was an awful villain.

Marvel first introduced Thanos in the first Avengers, gave him a bit more screen time in the first Guardians, and then bam, the single greatest villain in the MCU in IW. Marvel actually knows what they're doing; DC is akin to baseball's minor A league, or perhaps even rookie league.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Opening weekend adjusted to $258M.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Opening weekend adjusted to $258M.
Holy.Gawd.
AgMarauder04
AG
Nevermind. Found it.

Final Global is $640M, up from $630 estimate. Good Lord.
The Debt
The Shank Ag said:

Infinity war dusted the force awakens and the last jedi

A good film beat two mediocre films.

Shocked. Shocked, I say.
Farmer1906
AG
New Poster
Farmer1906
AG
And there will be a new trailer tomorrow.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I have no problem with Evangeline Lily being on top......

Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, might as well use my BO chart I made for Star Wars and throw in IW.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My ridiculously early prediction, based on opening weekend, is $800M. Right above Avatar for a solid #2 all time.
AgMarauder04
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My ridiculously early prediction, based on opening weekend, is $800M. Right above Avatar for a solid #2 all time.
I want to disagree with you, but I think that's a incredibly solid prediction.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Didn't know Boyd Crowder was in this
TCTTS
AG
I could be way off, but when all is said and done, I don't see IW in the top three all time. Maybe not even top five. I feel like with Avatar, Titanic, Black Panther, TFA, etc, repeat viewings were a huge part of their success over an extended period of time. I just don't see as many people seeing IW multiple times, though, especially with all the other blockbusters coming down the pike in the coming weeks and into the summer. I'm not only getting the impression that not as many people are clamoring to experience IW over and over and over, but all those other all-timers had the benefit of not opening at the beginning of the summer, with half a dozen other blockbusters in their way to take away from repeat viewings.
AgMarauder04
AG
People WILL see it multiple times, but Black Panther may outgain it if only because of lack of competition. Nothing significant happened for weeks with BP, this isn't true for IW. I still think it'll hit really high, I just am not good at predicting it.

I also think you have an overly critical eye on it, which colors your expectations.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea, comic culture is bigger than its ever been but it's still not THAT big.

I still think Disney owns it somewhere in one of their animated movies. My grandma, mom, dad, sister and kids today are still watching movies that were released 60 years ago. I'd go with Snow White or Cinderellas as #1.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Many people I've discussed it with have mentioned wanting to see it again for various reasons. My wife and I got invited to see the movie with some friends this weekend, and although we already saw it are excited to go again and we don't usually see movies twice in the theater.

Edit - Not commenting on how high it will get just the part about people not seeing it multiple times
TajMaballer
AG
I wonder if MoviePass not allowing repeat viewings will influence what would have been repeat viewings.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think IW will have the legs of TFA. The overwhelming majority of people that are going to see it, will see it within the first 2-3 weeks. This is part 19 of the franchise, and while TFA is a sequel, it's a movie that people could watch even it they only had a basic understanding of the previous movies. Also, Star Wars nerds are more hardcore than Marvel nerds.
TCTTS
AG
It has nothing to do with "an overly critical eye." I not only loved the movie but, as I chronicled yesterday, I've come around on the ending as well. I'm strictly going by the slate. Most of those other all-timers were either released at Christmas, with no competition for months, or, like with BP, released in February where the same holds true. An early May release simply has FAR more competition to deal with. That's a fact.

Save for that, though, I'm sure a ton of people will see IW multiple times, but based on Twitter and other reactions I'm seeing, this doesn't have the same "I just saw [Movie X] for the third time!" feel as the others, where multiple veiwings became this big thing being talked about all the time. I could be wrong on that, though, and just not as dialed in as I have been in the past.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TajMaballer said:

I wonder if MoviePass not allowing repeat viewings will influence what would have been repeat viewings.
That's a great point. Big advantage for BP.
fig96
AG
Thing is I don't see much coming in the near future that will have any impact on Infinity War's numbers.

Feels like IW has a while at the box office to itself before Deadpool drops in almost 3 weeks.

By the numbers, BP did $520 million through three weekends then dropped off pretty dramatically from there (roughly $60M -> $34M -> $25M -> $17M).
MooreTrucker
AG
I would think a movie on this scale, with this many characters, etc. would warrant multiple viewings just to catch everything that's going on.
TCTTS
AG
Again, I'm not saying fans aren't/won't be seeing IW multiple times. To be clear, I'm just pointing out that the multiple-veiweings thing isn't a big story this go around like it was with some of those other blockbusters.
TXAGFAN
AG
TajMaballer said:

When did that change? Is that part of the new terms?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Honestly, this may get my wife to go with the rest of the family to see this. She never saw the first one. "Justified" is our favorite show ever and Boyd is an all-time great.
fig96
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

Honestly, this may get my wife to go with the rest of the family to see this. She never saw the first one. "Justified" is our favorite show ever and Boyd is an all-time great.
Watch Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix if you haven't already. Very different side of Raylan Givens
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TajMaballer said:

Question because I honestly don't know:

Does attendance using MoviePass count towards a film's BO? Seems to me like it wouldn't, which would not factor in towards IW's repeat viewings.
Gangnam Style
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

TajMaballer said:

Question because I honestly don't know:

Does attendance using MoviePass count towards a film's BO? Seems to me like it wouldn't, which would not factor in towards IW's repeat viewings.
It should. You're still technically buying a ticket.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Absolutely factors in like any other ticket. The theater gets the full ticket price, it just comes from moviepass and not you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MooreTrucker
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

FightinTexasAg15 said:

Walt Coggins is going to be at Comicpalooza in Houston on May 25-27

TCTTS
AG
TajMaballer
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 258 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.