*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,518,555 Views | 27740 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Brian Earl Spilner
MooreTrucker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

That might be another part of it for me. Forgot to mention that I've never read a single Marvel (or DC) comic in my life.
I'm close to 60 and REALLY looking forward to this one. I'm more DC nerd than Marvel, but this whole well-defined "universe" has me sucked in in a major way. Truly, though, JL was the most anticipated movie for me for a LOOOONG time, but the lead up to it was so bad I still haven't seen JL yet.
Noblemen06
AG
As a fellow "DC over Marvel" guy in my adolescence, Justice League is worth it just to see them all together on screen. It wasn't great by any means but it would've been Citizen Kane to me at 9-12 years old (the height of my comic book reading years).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm not really sure how age fits into this. I'm 50. As I said in my earlier post, I was not a comics reader growing up, but I was aware of certain characters. I grew up watching the campy Batman TV series, with occasional black-and-white Superman movies with George Reeve, and then along came The Incredible Hulk and Wonder Woman series. Early to mid 70s I was an avid Saturday morning cartoons kid, during which time I recall really liking the SuperFriends cartoon.

Then along came my middle school years. I was such a Star Wars nut that I had an unwanted nickname of Mr. Star Wars, but I didn't let that deter me from really enjoying that first movie. I had an entire wall in my bedroom covered with likely 80% of all of the Topps trading cards that were released for that first movie (never mind that the act of stapling all of those cards to the wall ruined their value, I was 10-11-12 and why would I care about that?)

In 1978 Superman came out. That movie was, and remains, awesome. Loved everything about it. I still catch myself on occasion quoting Lex Luthor from that movie, even now this many years later. Those two movies inspired a bit of a writer in me at a young age, and I would sit with a pen and a stack of loose leaf paper and write stories based on Star Wars or Superman. By the time I reached high school, those stories had become full-fledged books running 200 or more hand-written pages. I had a buddy who was a big DC comics fan; he was able to give me a good run-down of Superman villains (of which I was only really aware of Lex and the Phantom Zone villains by way of the two movies). This is where I came to know about Darkseid, and I proceeded to write not one, but two books featuring Superman and Darkseid. I still have those books (which I laboriously used to glue together, page-by-freaking-page, with Elmer's glue and a crap-load of patience) in a box somewhere in my house. Probably wouldn't hold up well story-wise, but hey, I was a nerdy teenager when I wrote all of those.

I just don't know what age has to do with this. If anything, I'd expect that someone my age or older would really have little use for these comic book movies. But like Moore said, these Marvel movies did a fantastic job of building their universe and have sucked me in; there is no way that I would not have some level of anticipation for these movies. I really enjoyed Black Panther in Civil War, so I've been looking forward to that one for a while now, but Infinity War is to Black Panther as Texas bbq is to non-Texas bbq. Maybe a bad analogy, but IW truly is one of the most anticipated movies ever, at least for me.

Regarding the earlier list of most anticipated, I'd say The Phantom Menace would be very near the top, especially given the number of years between TPM and Return of the Jedi. But for me, Jedi was the most anticipated movie of all time.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Noblemen06 said:

As a fellow "DC over Marvel" guy in my adolescence, Justice League is worth it just to see them all together on screen. It wasn't great by any means but it would've been Citizen Kane to me at 9-12 years old (the height of my comic book reading years).
I'll agree with that. I actually did enjoy Justice League, saw it twice and will buy it when it is available on BR. Still, it was not as good as it should have been, and I fear that I may never get to see Darkseid on the big screen.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

For reference, here are what I'd consider my most anticipated movies of all time. And yes, admittedly, very few of these actually delivered on the hype...

01. The Phantom Menace
02. The Matrix Reloaded
03. The Dark Knight
04. Man of Steel
05. The Force Awakens
06. Interstellar
07. Superman Returns
08. The Social Network
09. Star Trek ('09)
10. Pearl Harbor

I find it funny that you suggest it's bc you aren't a big comic guy, and then list 3 comic movies. Not intended as a jab, just something that gave me a chuckle.

Edit: you said super hero movies, not comic. Could include matrix reloaded or star wars as super hero movies

As to the anticipation, I'm almost 38 and I'm pretty excited for IW. How much relative to other movies? I don't know. I was super excited for Force Awakens, Rogue One, and Last Jedi. Def more than this, but the culmination of all the intertwined stories gives IW something extra.
Brick Tamland
I prefer DC to Marvel but I'm pretty jacked up for Infinity War.

I teach ten year olds and they couldn't care less about DC characters. Marvel has done a great job with the younger generation (probably because of Disney). Even they are pumped for Infinity War, though I'm sure they don't understand the magnitude. They were just being born when Iron Man came out.
wangus12
AG
dcaggie04 said:

FTACO97 said:

FTACO97 said:

wangus12 said:

Pretty amazing.

So cool. I've looked at the large photo online, looks like they had some absences. Tom Hiddleston and Josh Brolin aren't there. Probably more.
Ok, anyone else taken a look at the large photo from this shoot? There's a woman standing in the front row between Zoe Saldana and Jon Favreau....isn't that Jada Pinkett Smith? I have no idea what connection she has to Marvel...also had to look up Laurence Fishburne as he's in the photo. He's evidently in Ant-Man & Wasp.
It's Angela Bassett.

Someone on Reddit was able to identify them all. Except they mistakenly labeled Sebastian Shaw as Angela Bassett also.

Missing major character actors are:

Natalie Portman, Anthony Hopkins, Lupita Nyong'o, Tom Hiddleston, Bradley Cooper, Idris Elba and Clark Gregg.

Since Agents of Shield isn't technically in the MCU, no one from the show was there.
Andyzipp
AG
Is Del Toro (the Collector) in the picture?
jtstanley4621
AG
Brick Tamland said:

I prefer DC to Marvel but I'm pretty jacked up for Infinity War.

I teach ten year olds and they couldn't care less about DC characters. Marvel has done a great job with the younger generation (probably because of Disney). Even they are pumped for Infinity War, though I'm sure they don't understand the magnitude. They were just being born when Iron Man came out.
Yeah it's kind of funny how things have changed. I didn't read comic books that much as a teenager but I definitely did as a kid. The coolest superheroes to me were definitely Batman and Superman, and then the Justice League. The coolest Marvel superheroes were the X-Men. I don't think I ever read a avengers comic, or a comic with one of the members of the avengers. Maybe Thor or Captain America, but that's it.

Clearly in terms of popularity, the Avengers/Marvel at least cinematically are blowing DC out of the water.
MooreTrucker
AG
My faves were the Justice League and the Legion of Superheroes.
jtstanley4621
AG
MooreTrucker said:

My faves were the Justice League and the Legion of Superheroes.
Yep. And I just straight up didn't really even think about seeing the Justice League movie. Just no real interest. Kid-version of me would be shocked.

That being said I really really liked the Dark Knight trilogy. But I almost don't consider those members of the DC movie universe, since Christian Bale is no longer batman, and Nolan isn't involved.
Brick Tamland
Growing up I had an Iron Man action figure but knew next to nothing about him, and never heard of anyone else outside of Spider-Man and X-Men (neither of which I'm a fan of). Contrast that with growing up watching the Batman and Justice League cartoons, and the Batman movies of the early 2000's.

Today's kids, all they've known is Marvel and DC is too dark for them.
fig96
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Growing up I had an Iron Man action figure but knew next to nothing about him, and never heard of anyone else outside of Spider-Man and X-Men (neither of which I'm a fan of). Contrast that with growing up watching the Batman and Justice League cartoons, and the Batman movies of the early 2000's.

The Disney move has also been huge there, Disney XD is full of Marvel animated shows.
Andyzipp
AG
Brick Tamland said:

That's interesting. I guess it speaks to different eras of the companies, but I was heavy into comics during the late 70's up until probably my sophomore year of high school (1986-87).

I read JL, Batman, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, Blue Beatle, Booster Gold, and a few other DC titles, but they were more...I dunno...upbeat, or "happily ever after" stories. A couple of notable exceptions to that feeling were the Dark Knight Returns miniseries and Crisis on Infinite Earths. But even after Crisis, eventually everything seemed to go back to the way it was before Barry Allen died.

I also read Marvel, including the Avengers, X-Men, Defenders, Spider-Man, Captain America, New Mutants, Daredevil, Fantastic Four and Cloak and Dagger. To my 6-15 year old mind, Marvel's characters had more gravitas, the stories were a darker, but I loved that. Jean Grey died. Elektra died. (and my interest waned before they came back...) It was easier to relate to Peter Parker than to Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne.

I know that has flipped over time, but my affinity for Marvel over DC still goes back to that period of my life. While the MCU is certainly stongly influenced by the Ultimate storylines, I still catch enough of the stuff I really loved in the movies to be really entertaining for me.

I don't see much of what I remember about DC in their movies.
ramblin_ag02
AG
Quote:

My fear for Infinity War is that the last act will be "let's all fight the CGI whatever"
There's a comic book story where Thanos gets the Guantlet. He becomes all-powerful by first fighting and killing mortals, then Eternals, then Celestials, and he finally kills Eternity basically destroying the Universe. He's alone in the void for a while, and he finally realizes that he has acheived his life's goal and it sucks. He brings back the universe, gives up ultimate power, and for a nice run he's not giant purple jerk. He starts hanging with Adam Warlock and otherwise being a hermit. It was a pretty neat take on the hackneyed "evil person wants ultimate power" trope. Then they rebooted the universe and he was power-hungry and evil again. I doubt they go in that direction, but it would be something different for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Farmer1906
AG
fig96 said:

Brick Tamland said:

The Disney move has also been huge there, Disney XD is full of Marvel animated shows.
The shows now are better than the old XMen ones I used to watch as a kid.
rhutton125
AG
No ****ing way.

I'm sorry... I don't know what came over me. I just love that damn cartoon...
Sex Panther
AG
I loved X Men the cartoon as much as anything but if you haven't seen it in a while, for the love of God, do not watch... time has not been kind at all. It is unwatchable.

Now Batman the Animated Series? Still incredible.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sex Panther said:

I loved X Men the cartoon as much as anything but if you haven't seen it in a while, for the love of God, do not watch... time has not been kind at all. It is unwatchable.

That's pretty much true of most of the cartoons from the 80s and 90s. Now that I have kids, I've been trying to show them the cartoons I grew up with and they are just flat out awful. It blows me away that my five year old self ever thought He-Man, Transformers or GI Joe was any good. They are just bad. My kids make fun of me for liking such crap. TMNT still somehow holds up though. I think cartoons today do a better job of making things watchable for both kids and parents.
BigTimeAlum
AG
I am super surprised by this take. As someone who obviously loves the cinema, how can you not be exited about the finale of one of the most ambitious story telling endevours of all time? Telling one coherent storyline across 18+ big budget well received movies from many different directors and writers? It's completely unprecedented. I can't wait for these two movies to see if they can possibly pay this off with a satisfying ending.

I fear it is going to be incredibly tough for them to do. Ragnorok and G2, were good movies, but my biggest complaint was not incorporating more Thanos. Just a little bit to develop his character more fully, show his motivations, or to help build the audiences anticipation for why this guy coming to Earth should be such a scary scenario for our hero's and not just "the next bad guy".

Anyway. It's not the comic book storyline that excites me, but execution of this arc. The first Avengers was a perfect execution of a "hero mash up" storyline. I am praying they rekindle that magic for this one.
rhutton125
AG
Sex Panther said:

I disagree! I watched them all with the girlfriend a few years back and she loved them. Sure there are some cheesy lines, and the Mojoverse is so awful as to derail our viewing for two months, but she was a big fan.

The four-part Apocalypse series finale (or what was originally meant to be) is greatness, IMO.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

For reference, here are what I'd consider my most anticipated movies of all time. And yes, admittedly, very few of these actually delivered on the hype...

01. The Phantom Menace
02. The Matrix Reloaded
03. The Dark Knight
04. Man of Steel
05. The Force Awakens
06. Interstellar
07. Superman Returns
08. The Social Network
09. Star Trek ('09)
10. Pearl Harbor

In rough order for me:

1. The Matrix Reloaded
2. Revenge of the Sith
3. Return of the King
4. The Force Awakens
5. The Dark Knight
6. The Last Jedi
7. The Hobbit
8. Spider-Man 2
9. Avatar
10. Man of Steel

Few things I find interesting about my own list.

- Like you, I grew up getting hyped for big blockbusters, but for whatever reason, an MCU movie has never registered high on my list of anticipated movies.

- I was so excited about The Hobbit, and even had a thread on this board hyping it up for years, and while I enjoyed these movies, I have hardly thought about them since.

- I was insanely excited about Matrix Reloaded, but Revolutions hardly registered on even my top 20 list, even though I was the perfect age. (15)
jtstanley4621
AG
So I wanted to post on the black panther thread but that's like 80 percent arguing at this point.

Who is going to go see black panther opening weekend? I bought tickets to see it Sunday with my friend. Most of the Friday and Saturday showings at good times either had pairs of bad seats available, or only individual seats
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Most of my most anticipated movies ever are directly related to my childhood in the 80's.

In no particular order:

Batman (the buildup for this movie in 1989 was HUGE).
Terminator 2
The Phantom Menace (of course)
The Force Awakens (of course)
Spider-Man (my all-time favorite getting a big-screen movie by Sam Raimi? Waited most of my life that that)
The Avengers
The Avengers: Infinity War
Mad Max: Fury Road (the Road Warrior is one of the greatest action movies of all time and for Miller to return to it was amazing)
Goldeneye (Bond was coming back and Brosnan was finally going to portray him)
TRON: Legacy (one of the few movies from the 80's that I REALLY wanted to revisit)
fig96
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

So I wanted to post on the black panther thread but that's like 80 percent arguing at this point.

Who is going to go see black panther opening weekend? I bought tickets to see it Sunday with my friend. Most of the Friday and Saturday showings at good times either had pairs of bad seats available, or only individual seats
Got tickets a few weeks ago, going Sunday morning. Really looking forward to this one.
ramblin_ag02
AG
The biggest hype and anticipation I can remember around movies I actually wanted to see are:

Jurassic Park
Independence Day
Phantom Menace
Spiderman (Raimi version)
Avengers
Deadpool

There's plenty of movies like Titanic that I didn't have any interest in, and movies like Iron Man that I was hyped for but the buzz wasn't really at the same level.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TCTTS
AG
Read my post again. I didn't say I'm not excited. I'm absolutely looking forward to it and I think it's going to be amazing. It's just not one of my most anticipated movies of all time. And I was just trying to figure out why I felt that way because I do really enjoy these movies, but I thought/think Marvel movies in general have a ceiling in terms of quality and enjoyment, though Guardians 2 broke that ceiling for me. But that may have been because it was allowed to be so different from the others and take more chances in various ways. Hoping Infinity War can somehow do the same.
TCTTS
AG
Dang it, I totally forgot to include anything from when I was a kid. May have to redo my list.
TCTTS
AG
Bought tickets for Friday night. And yeah, so many showings are already sold out. Calling my shot and saying it does at least $175M opening weekend.
rhutton125
AG
My most anticipated is probably 1. Civil War, 2. Infinity War, 3. Avengers 4, 4. Return of the King, 5. X-Men 3.

I don't recall being super hyped for movies before high school, tbh.
Brick Tamland
I've always gotten pumped for Bond movies, Batman movies, and lately the Captain America movies. I've never been an opening weekend type of person, but I did for Civil War, Justice League, and BvS. I was a kid during the SW prequels and LOTR trilogy but remember being very pumped for those.

When I think about it, MCU movies in the last two or three years are what got me to actually watch movies in the theater on a consistent basis. Somehow I was unaware that all the Marvel movies were interconnected until Civil War. I just thought they all had their separate movies that the other characters didn't exist in, except for when they teamed up for the Avengers movies.
Farmer1906
AG
For me it was probably the last two Harry Potter's, the first X-Men movie, Final LotR, TPM, TFA, Avengers, and Civil War are all up there.
MBAR
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Got 3 tickets to see it Thursday night here in BCS!
jtstanley4621
AG
I'm gonna try my hardest to stay off of any kind of review articles or videos. The less I can make myself know about the movie going in, the better.
AliasMan02
AG
Homecoming is on Starz. You know, that is just a very well put together movie. Handled everything with the suit and Stark and the villain very well. Avoided the origin stuff. Just really solid.
First Page Last Page
Page 213 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.