*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,509,736 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
CGSC Lobotomy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
2. Marvel's "No Magic" rule is about to be obliterated by Dr Strange

Not that hard to explain really. Martial Arts experts are able to manipulate their "chi" (ambient energy in the area). It would be scientifically explainable that a sorcerer like Stephen Strange is able to manipulate extra-dimensional energy and that the method he uses is called "sorcery".

Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but it can be redistributed and pulled from one dimension into another...
Red Five
AG
quote:
Energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but it can be redistributed and pulled from one dimension into another...
They eventually came up with the same explanation in regards to growing/shrinking via Pym particles to get around the conservation of mass.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
1. We are still talking about using the time stone for time travel and parallel universes, right? Wormholes go hand in hand with that stuff. Actual (not movie) astrophysicists believe time travel is possible by wormholes.

Wait. Hold on.

Go back to this.

For real?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
1. We are still talking about using the time stone for time travel and parallel universes, right? Wormholes go hand in hand with that stuff. Actual (not movie) astrophysicists believe time travel is possible by wormholes.

Wait. Hold on.

Go back to this.

For real?
Yes. It is essentially the hypothesis behind quantum physics.

To state it in an extremely simplified way, our universe is simply one slice of bread in a giant, infinite loaf of bread, each slice being another theoretical universe that exists that is similar to ours.

Every instance a choice or divergence is made in our universe, a new slice is created in which the opposite choice actually happened.

If you could locate the moment in time in which our universe diverged from the other newly created universe, by locating the "quantum particle" that was created, you could theoretically time travel to that instant in time, in the other universe and move forward in time from there. Scientists have simulated this phenomenon by using photons, essentially sending them back in time.

Likewise, as was mentioned by the OP, Einstein theorized that you could use wormholes to travel through time. Wormholes are basically tunnels that travel through the 5th dimension. Time is the fourth dimension. To get the the fifth dimension, imagine you want to get from point A on a piece of paper to point B, where each of the two points are moments in time. By rolling the paper into a tube, and making it so that point A now touches point B directly, that's the essence of the 5th dimension. Now, if you shoved your pencil through the two points, that one single hole or "tunnel" is essentially a wormhole. They demonstrate this principal in the new movie "Interstellar" in fact.

So to go back in time in a wormhole, its simply a matter of reversing things, and going from point B to point A. It's all very theoretical still, but not unproven.

Sorry if I'm not very good at explaining it, or if I've made some inaccuracies. I'm not a scientist, this is just my understanding of it from reading and NOVA.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:

Wait. Hold on.

Go back to this.

For real?
For real
redline248
AG
Isn't it also widely thought that traveling close to the sowed of light would slow time, or something?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Isn't it also widely thought that traveling close to the sowed of light would slow time, or something?
That's what is called "relativistic speed." But yes, that's basically accepted as the dominant theory. More Einstein stuff.
CGSC Lobotomy
I thought you just had to fly around the sun a bunch of times in the opposite direction.
el aggie
AG
Or the earth if you're Superman.

Wait, wrong cinematic universe.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
That's what is called "relativistic speed." But yes, that's basically accepted as the dominant theory. More Einstein stuff.
It's not theory. It's confirmed by experiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2%80%93Keating_experiment
swimmerbabe11
What about teleporting? Are there real theories on that? Cause I want that.
Saxsoon
AG
Teleporting would just be a portable application of wormholes I imagine. Now a complete deatomization and recombination elsewhere, I have no idea if there is a basis for that.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Didn't see it posted, Marvel posted a new extended trailer, and it does have quite a few new shots in it, if only for a couple of seconds at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnaAj94M9Mw

It's also the first time we get a good luck at the other woman in the room with the rest of the Avengers, although I have no clue who she is supposed to be.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Anyone think the Agent Peggy miniseries might feed into Age of Ultron in some way? The impression I've gotten is it's a 10-episode, single-season affair starting in January, which would end it in March or April, pending how many breaks they take, and AoU comes out May 1.

I think AP will feature a butler of Stark Sr's named Jarvis...

Edit: wrong emoji...
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Anyone think the Agent Peggy miniseries might feed into Age of Ultron in some way? The impression I've gotten is it's a 10-episode, single-season affair starting in January, which would end it in March or April, pending how many breaks they take, and AoU comes out May 1.

I think AP will feature a butler of Stark Sr's named Jarvis...

Edit: wrong emoji...

Definitely will in some minor way
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
It's also the first time we get a good luck at the other woman in the room with the rest of the Avengers, although I have no clue who she is supposed to be.
Liv Tyler's character?
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
Liv Tyler's character?

I apparently missed Liv Tyler.

I'm assuming he's referring to the Asian female in the penthouse scene.
AliasMan02
AG

They say that Banner has a love interest in the movie. I've assumed it was Natasha, but maybe this is her. She's not there with Thor, Stark, or Cap (I assume Agent 13 is still in the picture for him). Could be with Barton, I guess. She's obviously not just some nobody or they wouldn't have put her in the trailer.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Liv Tyler's character?

Liv Tyler is the MCU version of Betty Ross, Banner's traditional love interest.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Liv Tyler's character?

Liv Tyler is the MCU version of Betty Ross, Banner's traditional love interest.
No, I'm quite familiar with the character she played, I just wasn't following any reference to her in this trailer. If it was supposed to be Betty I'd assume they would at least cast a similar looking actress.
redline248
AG
I looked on imdb and can't find a "named" character that matches the actress. Just says "Korean scientist."
R0GUE
AG
Her name is Kim Soo-Hyun, which is confusing because there is also a male Korean actor named Kim Soo-Hyun. Recently she's started going by Claudia Kim.
MASAXET
AG
Some info on Thor: Ragnarok. SPOILERS ALERT, but only if comic book narratives are a spoiler for you. It's mainly discussion of what happened in the Thor comics, with speculation about how it may play out in the MCU.

http://www.slashfilm.com/thor-ragnarok/
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I think Ragnarok is going to do a lot of those things, especially give us a bigger picture of the Cosmic Universe. Obviously Winter Soldier shook things up big time in the MCU, I'm not sure it's going to be a shake up in that same way, but it's going to help reveal big details.
TCTTS
AG
Daniel Bruhl just announced as joining the Captain America: Civil War cast. Rumor is he's some kind of villain...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/captain-america-civil-war-adds-749167
TCTTS
AG
Justin Kroll @krolljvar
Two things, he will play villain but not main one, Crossbones still main

Justin Kroll @krolljvar
Also, while not confirmed hearing he would play main villain in DOCTOR STRANGE, was being eyed as villain when Phoenix was being courted
TCTTS
AG
Jim Vejvoda @StaxIGN
Probably a pretty safe bet that Daniel Bruhl's playing Baron Zemo in Cap 3 then?
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci @devincf
A lot of people have been worried Winter Soldier would get short shrift in CIVIL WAR, and Stan isn't announced in the Marvel press release.

Devin Faraci @devincf
Sebastian Stan IS in the movie. The Winter Soldier is getting his time.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Hmmm, if that's true I wonder if they will have the Thunderbolts in the movie?

If that's true, this movie is going to be pretty long, haha.
TCTTS
AG
No idea who Baron Zemo / Thunderbolts are, just passing along the speculation.
TCTTS
AG
Devin Faraci @devincf
Your obvious DOCTOR STRANGE villains are Baron Mordo, Dormammu or Nightmare. Only Mordo sorta works in a CAP movie. But even then...

Devin Faraci @devincf
I am currently super skeptical that Bruhl is playing Baron Mordo in CAP 3.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Thunderbolts are very similar to the Suicide Squad, a team of villains forced to work for the government, and play a fairly important part in the Civil War storyline so that's the only reason I bring it up. Baron Zemo isn't normally a part of that team though, so I would be surprised if that was it.
TCTTS
AG
Cool, thanks.

What's the difference between Baron Zemo and Baron Mordo?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Devin Faraci @devincf
Your obvious DOCTOR STRANGE villains are Baron Mordo, Dormammu or Nightmare. Only Mordo sorta works in a CAP movie. But even then...

Devin Faraci @devincf
I am currently super skeptical that Bruhl is playing Baron Mordo in CAP 3.

I would be surprised if that was the case as well, not sure what Mordo would be doing in that movie.
Sex Panther
AG
No matter who he plays that's another great casting decision.

How many Baron's are there? Mordo, Zemo and Von Strucker? That's confusing...
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.