*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,509,953 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I do not see jennifer lawrence as being in the air force.

Jennifer Morrison, while I like Once Upon a Time, is not that good of an actress. Almost always speaks in a monotone.

And for those that don't watch Once Upon a Time or are not famliar with her, Elizabeth Lail. I haven't seen her in anything else, but she has done a fantastic job with Anna in OUAT, really capturing her quirks.

AliasMan02
AG
Age debate is kinda funny. I do think they'll go with a 30-something actress, however, just to lend some gravitas to the role. She needs to be able to command and lead, and to come across as a veteran, and it's harder to do that if you just cast some young piece of ass. Her actual rank doesn't matter.

One thing you have to give Marvel some credit for, I think, is that they have resisted throwing floozies in a set of tights in front of the audience. Scarlett Johansson is a serious actress. Emily Blunt is a serious actress. Hayley Atwell is a serious actress. Natalie Portman, Gwyneth Paltrow, Rene Russo, etc. Hard to find a weak point. Even when they rarely have gone with unproven actresses (Jaimie Alexander, Emily Van Camp) there is certainly no Katie Holmes, Blake Lively, Jessica Alba casting that we've seen from other superhero studios.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
Her actual rank doesn't matter.

The rank doesn't matter so much as the age needs to fit the rank.

You can cast someone as a Captain in their mid-20s, as many Captains pin on as young as 24.

The earliest possible you could pin on Major is age 30, and even then you still carry yourself a certain way.

Think "Samantha Carter". Amanda Tapping was 31 years old during Season 1 of SG-1 and played a senior Captain (The character pinned Major in season 3 and Lieutenant Colonel in season 8. By season 4 of Atlantis - the equivalent of season 12 of SG-1, she pinned Colonel and was given command of her own ship).

quote:
I do not see jennifer lawrence as being in the air force.

I'm sure Fox has anyone involved with Fantastic Four or X-Men (current iterations) in a "no compete clause", just as Jamie Alexander's contract with Marvel prevented Warner from casting her as Wonder Woman.
Bruce Almighty
AG
We're talking about someone with super strength, super speed, super spy skills, super intelligence, and can fly. If these characters can break the laws of physics, nobody is going to give a **** about some military age guidelines that don't mean squat in the comic book world.
CGSC Lobotomy
So you're saying a 25 year old could play James Rhodes?
Bruce Almighty
AG
No because he doesn't have any super powers.
TCTTS
AG
CGSC - You're obviously passionate/knowledgeable about the military - and that's great - but I'd give it a rest. Not even a detail/research freak like Michael Mann would give this kind of consideration to military ranks/ages in a movie, much less a superhero franchise. I'm as much of an accuracy nerd as anyone, but really, in a movie like this all anyone cares about is if the actress is A) hot, and B) can convincingly lead a group of superheroes. That's it.
SeattleAgJr
quote:

The rank doesn't matter so much as the age needs to fit the rank.

You can cast someone as a Captain in their mid-20s, as many Captains pin on as young as 24.

The earliest possible you could pin on Major is age 30, and even then you still carry yourself a certain way.
The average movie viewer does not know this nor care. They will go with late 20s early 30s....
CGSC Lobotomy
Anyone else prefer Mark Strong over Vin Diesel for Black Bolt?
bearamedic99
AG
I love the energy here and salute all my fellow geeks and nerds. I also love the title treatment for Captain Marvel and think they could have done better for Black Panther. Has there been any talk of the Netflix characters being involved or will small and big screen be kept separate (with the exception of occasional C-list people on Marvel AoS)? It would be cool if some of them at least had cameos. I'm depressed to think about the waiting involved before releases and all that might go wrong before then. Also sad about no news of Spidey/Punisher/Blade being pulled back into the MCU or anything new on Ant Man (weakest upcoming title IMO).

bearamedic99
AG
Mark Strong always. I would also be nice to see something for Jason Isaacs. His one season TV show Awake was fantastic.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Has there been any talk of the Netflix characters being involved or will small and big screen be kept separate (with the exception of occasional C-list people on Marvel AoS)? It would be cool if some of them at least had cameos.

Feige said yesterday in so many words that certain Netflix characters are definitely being considered for the movies in some capacity.
CGSC Lobotomy
Punisher and Blade are already owned by Marvel Studios, as is Ghost Rider.
AggieLitigator
Anyone else think Thanos plays a small role in this? They brought him to comic con and he introduced brolin after the questions session ended. Maybe end credit scene? Maybe he helps us defeat ultron but only to take possession of the mind gem from lokis staff which is held by hydra right now?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
Anyone else think Thanos plays a small role in this? They brought him to comic con and he introduced brolin after the questions session ended. Maybe end credit scene? Maybe he helps us defeat ultron but only to take possession of the mind gem from lokis staff which is held by hydra right now?

Highly doubt we see any of him in this film. We just saw him in the last marvel movie (GOTG) and it's been made very clear he's coming after us. At this point, it's better to leave him off the screen for a while so it's a big deal when he takes center stage.
wangus12
AG
quote:
None of those really fit in the MCU that has been created. They aren't really seen as superheros so to speak.
bearamedic99
AG
Ditto for Deadpool but....
MASAXET
AG
quote:
quote:
None of those really fit in the MCU that has been created. They aren't really seen as superheros so to speak.

Overall agree, but Punisher did have a pretty big role in the Civil War comics
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:
black widow and hawkeye say "hello"
ScottH_01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You missed the point I think, punisher might fit, but the elements that define blade and GR are not part of the MCU as it exists now.

That could change after Dr. Strange
CGSC Lobotomy
If the MCU is going to introduce Punisher, it's got to happen in one of the NYC-based Netflix series. If they're going to introduce Ghost Rider, it has to deal with Doctor Strange.

Blade is a different problem. How do they delve into vampires in the framework that they're currently set up as? Inhumans whose reactions to the mist went horribly wrong?
Sex Panther
AG
Agree with CGSC. Punisher probably shows up on the Netflix series depending on how they're received.

Feige said in that appearance that they've done earthbound, they've done cosmic, and now Dr. Strange will open up a new door, the supernatural... definitely sounds like Ghostrider falls into that category.

He seems like a pretty cool character, and Marvel would probably love to fix that Nic Cage garbage. Do he and Dr. Strange cross paths a lot in the comics?
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I guess I mean in affiliation with the Avengers. Punisher does have a good size role in the Civil War timeline and Blade has had interactions with the team, but neither were really considered members of the Avengers like BW and Hawkeye were. I couldn't tell you if GR ever met them.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
Marvel would probably love to fix that Nic Cage garbage

Nic Cage was not bad as Johnny Blaze. The movies as a whole were bad.

If they make Cage tone it down a bit, his version of Blaze could work.

As far as how you work him in: What happens if Thanos' actions tear a hole between dimensions, letting in Dormammu, Annihilus, Shuma-Gorath, and other nasty extradimensional baddies

and if word leaks that Thomas Jane is scheduled to appear...
Quinn
AG
The first Ghost Rider movie was the worst movie that I've ever seen (barely surpassing Scorpion King and Vertical Limit).
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Anyone want to place any bets on who doesn't survive Age of Ultron? It just occurred to me that I can easily see Black Widow sacrificing herself to save the good guys. Her death at the hands of out-of-control Stark weaponry could also be a catalyst for Civil War...
Aggie94
AG
Sex Panther -

Dr. Strange and Ghost Rider have been teammates on the Defenders, so they're definitely familiar with one another.
AliasMan02
AG
I think if you see Ghost Rider, it will be in a Netflix show as a guest appearance. Not sure he fits on elsewhere. Might be fun to see him in a straight u horror film, though, that is tangential to the MCU.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
Anyone want to place any bets on who doesn't survive Age of Ultron? It just occurred to me that I can easily see Black Widow sacrificing herself to save the good guys. Her death at the hands of out-of-control Stark weaponry could also be a catalyst for Civil War...

I feel like it is fairly obvious that quiksilver dies.

If they kill Black Widow, I'm gonna go ahead and call that out as a cop out because they don't want to do her movie and a lot of people are calling for it. However, Black Widow and Hawkeye are the most expendable Avengers. (even though I love Jeremy Renner with all my heart and would go see a Hawkeye movie immediately...actually can we just get a Hawkeye/Black Widow romance film? yes please. I will take it to go. They would make gorgeous babies.)
CGSC Lobotomy
Quicksilver is the Avengers' link to the Inhumans (he marries Medusa's sister). He's almost the only character that you CAN'T kill off in Age of Ultron.
swimmerbabe11
Scarlet Witch survives. Plus, SHIELD is introducing us already.

As a sidenote, I find the costuming for Scarlet Witch and Quiksilver uninspiring thus far.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Quicksilver is the Avengers' link to the Inhumans (he marries Medusa's sister). He's almost the only character that you CAN'T kill off in Age of Ultron.

Seems pretty clear that this link is not necessary because QS and SW ARE Inhumans.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know that anyone of importance will die in Age of Ultron. The main point of the movie is to break up the team and have them stay broken up for a while. Killing one of them off is kind of a cheap way of doing that. They all need to be alive to hold grudges, etc. Granted, blaming each other for one of their deaths is a potential way to cause a pretty big grudge, but I just can't see any of them being eliminated until Civil War at the earliest, or more likely in one of the Infinity War movies.
TCTTS
AG
Besides, both Black Widow and Hawkeye are heavily rumored to appear in Civil War.
First Page Last Page
Page 15 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.