*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,510,187 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That quote from cap about innocents is so perfectly well written in regards to his character and what we know will happen
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Also, does this news mean ant man is scrapped?

No, Ant-Man has been slated and is currently filming. They just only revealed new movies.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
The Ragnarok storyline is one Thor fans have been begging to see on screen in this particular universe. Ragnarok was introduced as a cyborg clone of Thor, created by Tony Stark from a strand of the Asgardian God's hair. This happened when Thor went missing, though Ragnarok's true origin involved both Hank Pym and Reed Richards -- so it will have to be changed on screen to fit the current Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The introduction of Ragnarok makes complete sense with the news that Marvel is mounting a Civil War. In the books, Tony Stark used the cyborg Thor to battle heroes who opposed the Superhero Registration Act. Ragnarok has all of Thor's powers, but isn't a god.

The big question, to me, is whether Chris Hemsworth will be called on to play both Thor and his cyborg counterpart. The announcements today create havoc on what we thought we knew about Marvel's current contracts. We now know there is a Civil War, as well as an Infinity War on the way. Which Avengers will be available, and what side will they all be on?
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tom-Hiddleston-Loki-Return-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-67922.html
This Ragnarok will be the Asgardian End Times type, not this story arc.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Also, does this news mean ant man is scrapped?

Nope, releases July 17 next year.
Sex Panther
AG
That Cap and Stark scene sounds so good. Such great juxtaposition and ideals from both... Neither is wrong, they just have differing viewpoints due to their character traits and histories. Sounds like it's going to be a great story.

Nobody answered my question about Iron Man 4. I thought this was a done deal?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
That Cap and Stark scene sounds so good. Such great juxtaposition and ideals from both... Neither is wrong, they just have differing viewpoints due to their character traits and histories. Sounds like it's going to be a great story.

Nobody answered my question about Iron Man 4. I thought this was a done deal?
RDJ continuing to appear was worked out, but that was for Cap 3 (and probably small roles in films down the line in a SLJ sort of way).
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'm betting Infinity Wars pt. 1 features Thanos coming to earth, killing most of the heroes and scattering whoever remains. The ending is dark, Empire Strikes Back style. The survivors of this part go "underground," so to speak, to find a way to fight Thanos. Someone goes into outer space to find a weapon that can defeat Thanos, which becomes the heart of the Captain Marvel movie, and someone else stays behind to begin a guerrilla war against Thanos' rule, which will be featured in the Inhumans movie, and set the stage for Infinity Wars pt. 2, where the surviving good guys reunite to defeat him.
Sex Panther
AG
So I guess the All Hail The King one shot wont come up again? Oh well...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That is the sound of Marvel opening my wallet and taking every last cent ... And me saying, Yes, take it all!
AgMarauder04
AG
Can someone sum up infinity war for me?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Ragnarok storyline is one Thor fans have been begging to see on screen in this particular universe. Ragnarok was introduced as a cyborg clone of Thor, created by Tony Stark from a strand of the Asgardian God's hair. This happened when Thor went missing, though Ragnarok's true origin involved both Hank Pym and Reed Richards -- so it will have to be changed on screen to fit the current Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The introduction of Ragnarok makes complete sense with the news that Marvel is mounting a Civil War. In the books, Tony Stark used the cyborg Thor to battle heroes who opposed the Superhero Registration Act. Ragnarok has all of Thor's powers, but isn't a god.

The big question, to me, is whether Chris Hemsworth will be called on to play both Thor and his cyborg counterpart. The announcements today create havoc on what we thought we knew about Marvel's current contracts. We now know there is a Civil War, as well as an Infinity War on the way. Which Avengers will be available, and what side will they all be on?
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tom-Hiddleston-Loki-Return-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-67922.html

How do you know?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Kevin Feige in his presentation made it pretty clear that it was the Norse apocalypse story line
texasaggie04
AG
So... as somebody who isn't familiar with Civil War and just googled it, is Iron Man essentially the bad guy? I feel like they'll have to present it just right because the average movie goer doesn't want to see Iron Man turn bad. Just my two cents.
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
So... as somebody who isn't familiar with Civil War and just googled it, is Iron Man essentially the bad guy? I feel like they'll have to present it just right because the average movie goer doesn't want to see Iron Man turn bad. Just my two cents.

He's not a bad guy but very strongly feels his side is correct, which is at odds with cap and the 2 fight over it.

They eventually bro out.

A couple heroes die.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How do you know?
Was stating an opinion, sorry. However, I think it is well justified.

At the end of Thor 2, we have Loki finally seizing the Asgardian throne through deception. Odin's fate is unknown, but it seems reasonable that he is in some way out of commission. Loki's last true tether to his adoptive family, Frigga, is dead.

All of that, and we have seen evidence that Asgard is weaker than it has been, as outside threats are more and more pressing. With Odin out of it and Thor living on Earth, Asgard has no true defenders. This all sets up for Loki to be challenged for the rule of Asgard by outsiders, and then to simply try to burn it all down if he can't hold it.

Further, there are big problems with cyborg-clone Thor in the MCU. It's very close to what we're getting with Ultron, which has been a very deliberate, slow build through the Iron Man franchise (and perhaps Cap 2, if I'm right about some things). To have it reach its climax in Avengers 2 and then have another robot-villain seems unlikely. And actually, it would presumably be the second use of a robotic villain after Age of Ultron, as robo-Thor would likely be introduced during Civil War.

Finally, I think there is reason to believe that the destruction of Asgard, or more likely its near-destruction, helps to set the events of the Infinity War into motion by freeing the Tesseract from the protection of Asgard so that it may be claimed by Thanos.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
If you're a gamer at all, try out Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for a good taste of it. Not straight from the comics, but a fun look at how things get divided.
Sex Panther
AG
I think Alias is spot on. The apocalypse Ragnarok sounds awesome... the Cyborg Thor one... not so much. But I don't read the comics so I'm sure I could be wrong.

Very curious to see how Loki plays out. He's probably the most popular character in the MCU after Tony Stark. Wonder if he'll get a shot at redemption and maybe even help fight Thanos... Or will Thor have to take him out. Which would be Shakespearean and fitting to the Thor themes.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

That's why I think this sounds like such a good story, and that clip sounded really intriguing. You can see both character's points, and no one is really wrong. They're so different in character, origin, etc... but they're both the best the world has to offer when it comes to heroes. Sounds like a really compelling story.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I think Alias is spot on. The apocalypse Ragnarok sounds awesome... the Cyborg Thor one... not so much. But I don't read the comics so I'm sure I could be wrong.

Very curious to see how Loki plays out. He's probably the most popular character in the MCU after Tony Stark. Wonder if he'll get a shot at redemption and maybe even help fight Thanos... Or will Thor have to take him out. Which would be Shakespearean and fitting to the Thor themes.
After the comics Ragnarok apocalypse, Asgard is rebuilt on Earth; remember that Mjolnir is a tool for building, not just a weapon. I think that if they wanted to bring Loki back around, they could find a way to do it using that basic story as a foundation. That would be way down the line, though, but still... imagine TH reprising that role a decade later in the last harrah of the MCU. Would be epic.
AliasMan02
AG
Something I was thinking about today, if I may be a downer:

This schedule does seem to kill any thought that Marvel may be in a position to reacquire Spider-Man, X-Men, or Fantastic Four in the coming years. No room in the schedule to introduce any of those characters for a loooooong time.
Sex Panther
AG
I've heard rumors of them discussing reacquiring Spider Man. Sony is making money but it definitely doesn't seem like it's going the way they wanted to. Would be interesting to see how much it would cost, and how they could fit it in... But can you imagine the hype explosion if Marvel gets him back?

But it's probably not gonna happen...

Back to Loki, I have no clue how he and Thor fit in with Dr. Strange, but it does seem like Marvel would be trying to find someway to get Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch on screen together.

Since there's a lot of thoughts that Stark, Cap and Thor could all either die or retire, I wonder who will take over as the leader. Definitely seems like that's where Dr. Strange and BC come in right? Wonder what Ant-Man's role will be after he is introduced.
TajMaballer
AG
While BC would make a good Dr. Strange, I think he would make an even better Adam Warlock. Someone mentioned it either in this thread or another Marvel related one and I haven't been able to get it out of my head!

Until it's official, I'm still holding out hope for Jon Hamm as Dr. Strange.
bagger05
AG
I just skimmed through this thread and I am so f##king confused.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
While BC would make a good Dr. Strange, I think he would make an even better Adam Warlock. Someone mentioned it either in this thread or another Marvel related one and I haven't been able to get it out of my head!

Until it's official, I'm still holding out hope for Jon Hamm as Dr. Strange.
The thought is that Strange is basically the new Stark... the centerpiece of the next phase or two.
TCTTS
AG
Strange will no doubt be one of the top two or three guys when it's all said and done, but It actually sounds like Carol Danvers could potentially be the new leader after Stark. From what I've gathered in the couple articles I've read today, she basically becomes Superman-level powerful, and in this continuity will be the one to unite the Guardians with the Avengers. Not to mention, Feige said today that both Avengers: Infinity War movies will be VERY cosmic in nature - as will whatever comes after, as the MCU continues to expand away from Earth - and Captain Marvel sounds like she'd be the natural fit to lead that expansion.
Quinn
AG
So does anyone want to rank these next 10 (including Ant Man) in order of anticipation? I don't know enough about the characters that I haven't seen to really say.
TCTTS
AG
01. Avengers: Infinity War - Part 2
02. Captain America: Civil War
03. Avengers: Age of Ultron
04. Avengers: Infinity War - Part 1
05. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
06. Black Panther
07. Captain Marvel
08. Thor: Ragnarok
09. Ant-Man
10. The Inhumans
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
I've heard rumors of them discussing reacquiring Spider Man. Sony is making money but it definitely doesn't seem like it's going the way they wanted to. Would be interesting to see how much it would cost, and how they could fit it in... But can you imagine the hype explosion if Marvel gets him back?

"My name is Peter Parker...and I have been Spider-Man...since I was 15 years old. What are your questions?"
TCTTS
AG
Personally, I'd put Thor: Ragnarok at the bottom - I'm not a huge fan of the Thor movies at all - but I think what I laid out is/will be fairly close to the overall anticipation level, knowing what we know now. Ant-Man could maybe move up a peg or two as well.

Either way, Captain Marvel has the potential to be HUGE. It'll be the first female-centric Marvel movie, and will hit that sweet spot of catering to not only Marvel fans, but that whole female/Hunger Games/YA crowd as well. And as popular as she'll be, Black Panther has the potential to be even bigger, for the same diversity reasons.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

"My name is Peter Parker...and I have been Spider-Man...since I was 15 years old. What are your questions?"

That would be damn epic.
TCTTS
AG
Also, throwing this out there now... Natalie Dormer as Carol Danvers. Yes, I know she had a bit part in Captain America, but who cares. She's blowing up, and feels like the exact right type for what I know about the character (which admittedly isn't much). Then again, she is 32, and will be 36 by the time CM hits, so they might want to skew a bit younger...

AliasMan02
AG
Only if Ant Man gets to watch her in the shower.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Someone pointed out that one of Marvel's dates that they claimed wasn't filled by these announcements, I think July 8, 2016? If this is the case, and they are still planning on announcing a movie for that day, my theory would be Planet Hulk, as Feige didn't close the door on a Hulk movie, and it would make sense that would want to withhold that until after Age of Ultron, depending on what happens in that film.
fig96
AG
So you guys talked me into getting caught up on Agents of SHIELD, just bought Season 1 on iTunes earlier. Knowing the events of Winter Soldier, however, I trust no one, which makes it kinda more awesome.

As per the order of things, outside of the Avengers films I'm personally really hyped for Cap: Civil War, Guardians 2, and Black Panther. Civil War because I genuinely love the story and think it's even more relevant in present day, Guardians 2 because the first was one of the most genuinely entertaining films I've seen in years, and Black Panther as I think it's a chance for Marvel to do something really different and do a big change of environment from the urban cityscape/war time type crime fighting. And I'm holding out hope for Ant-Man despite the film's rough go so far.

And it really doesn't matter, because I'll see all of them
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Someone pointed out that one of Marvel's dates that they claimed wasn't filled by these announcements, I think July 8, 2016? If this is the case, and they are still planning on announcing a movie for that day, my theory would be Planet Hulk, as Feige didn't close the door on a Hulk movie, and it would make sense that would want to withhold that until after Age of Ultron, depending on what happens in that film.

Actually, the dates just shifted. That July 08, 2016 date became the November 03, 2016 date. There aren't any empty dates anymore. Every one is spoken for.

Also, it sounds like Hulk may get folded into Guardians of the Galaxy 2 somehow, using elements of Planet Hulk in that movie, but that's pure rumor at this point.
First Page Last Page
Page 11 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.