*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,510,502 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ganondorf
AG
quote:
OT, do the X-Men and Avengers universes ever cross paths? In the comics or in the movies?

Wolverine is an avenger.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
OT, do the X-Men and Avengers universes ever cross paths? In the comics or in the movies?

Wolverine is an avenger.

Yes and so are Havok, Rogue, and Sunfire. Beast, Quicksilver, Storm, and Namor have also been both X-Men and Avengers in their careers.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:

Wolverine is an avenger.
there was a pretty funny quote I think during or around the Second Coming story line where Wolverine is coming back to the X-men base early in the morning and Cyclops tries to ask him something and Wolverine tells him to go away because its still his Avengers time and then starts complaining about how many teams he's on.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Benedict Cumberbatch is Dr. Strange!
TCTTS
AG
I like Cumberbatch, but he also seems kind of bland for the role. Ultimately, though, I really don't have an opinion one way or another. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I agree that he may not be perfect, but I think he'll do a really good job with it, especially since it's not an origin story, and to get him right now, the movie will sell just because he's Dr. Strange. Good casting for Marvel, if for no other reason than for marketing.
TCTTS
AG
Basically sums up my thoughts exactly...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/27/benedict-cumberbatch-is-probably-doctor-strange/
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Basically sums up my thoughts exactly...

http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/27/benedict-cumberbatch-is-probably-doctor-strange/
I think that's pretty much right.
Sex Panther
AG
Awesome. Love Cumberbatch.
AliasMan02
AG
This is the huge name they needed to take the torch from RDJ.
Saxsoon
AG
I am curious what his contract is. I can't see BC being tied down to this much past a handful of movies, but then again, Marvel won't accept no as an answer.
AliasMan02
AG
Think for a minute how weird this world is. Can you imagine 10 years ago people being excited about a Dr. Strange movie?
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I am curious what his contract is. I can't see BC being tied down to this much past a handful of movies, but then again, Marvel won't accept no as an answer.

No way is it fewer than six.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
I'll say this, I was surprised because Cumberbatch is in high demand right now, and will probably be an Oscar-nominee after The Imitation Game (or so I'm hearing), but when he does sign on, he's a total team player. Everything about him reputation wise is he works great with other cast members, crew, the press, he does all of the press tours and talk shows, so it's a great get for Marvel for that reason as well.
CGSC Lobotomy
Doesn't Strange lead the Defenders?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sorry I haven't been following Marvel news - wasn't Joaquin Phoenix already announced as Dr Strange or was that just a rumor?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think he backed out, but he was cast
jbsj9698
AG
quote:
"I envision the same thing occurring after this movie, because the [Avengers] roster is altered by the finale of this film."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=124443]
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I think they'll change the Avengers crew for Avengers 3, leading to a super-movie in Avengers 4. (This will give cast members a needed break, and save Chris Evans' last film for Avengers 4.)
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So, are they going to change Wong's nationality so that they can cast Martin Freeman in the role?
jeffk
AG
BC has such a cool career arch going so far.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Doesn't Strange lead the Defenders?

As much as anyone "leads" that group. Trying to tell Namor, Hulk, or Silver Surfer what to do is usually a bad idea.

quote:
So, are they going to change Wong's nationality so that they can cast Martin Freeman in the role?

I read that as MORGAN Freeman at first, which put an entirely different image in my head.
Sex Panther
AG
what the hell are The Defenders?
R0GUE
AG
quote:

Its a super team that is very off and on. Never had a very long running comic series. They've had lots of different incarnations but the first and most famous was Strange, Hulk, Namor, and Silver Surfer. They were supposed to be a group of anti-Heroes, and dealt with more supernatural and mystical threats.
Sex Panther
AG
Thanks Rogue...

So what are Dr. Strange's characteristics? Is he a nice guy filled with duty like Cap? Or is he a narcissistic ahole with a heart of gold like Stark? I'm guessing he's super smart since it seems like every super hero is. Will BC will play him pretty similar to how he portrays Sherlock?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Thanks Rogue...

So what are Dr. Strange's characteristics? Is he a nice guy filled with duty like Cap? Or is he a narcissistic ahole with a heart of gold like Stark? I'm guessing he's super smart since it seems like every super hero is. Will BC will play him pretty similar to how he portrays Sherlock?

He is very smart, as he is an actual doctor, a surgeon. I'd say his defining characteristic is a man in penitence. He was basically extremely prideful, had a fall from grace, and is constantly trying to make up for it. He is still a little egotistical, but also compassionate.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:

In terms of Marvel's Netflix series, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Thanks Rogue...

Ever watch The Venture Brothers? He's basically Dr. Orpheus.

As the Sorcerer Supreme, he is in charge of protecting the mystical barrier between realms. It's reasonable to assume that this will be cast in the light of "dark matter" and some version of The World Tree as we've seen referenced by Loki and Thor. He makes use of some objects of power in his work, some of which we've already seen in Odin's armory.

That will all be tweaked to fit the sci-fantasy world we've seen so far in the MCU, one would think.
TCTTS
AG
Big Marvel press event/announcement scheduled for 11 AM Pacific at the El Capitan theater in Hollywood today. Here's what bloggers/journalists are expecting:

- Confirmation of Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange
- Confirmation of July 08, 2016 Dr. Strange release date
- Captain America 3 official title announcement
- Remaining 2017 titles announced (potentially Black Panther and Captain Marvel)

I doubt we see all of those announcements, but there will no doubt be a surprise or two as well. Also expect new Avengers: Age of Ultron and Ant-Man footage to debut, though that footage will obviously be for attendees only.
TCTTS
AG
More from Variety...

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/5-things-to-expect-from-marvel-studios-fan-event-1201341014/
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Marvel taking a page from Steve Jobs to try and upstage DC?

They need to have something pretty big to make it worth it, which was probably the Benedict Cumberbatch announcement, too bad they got scooped.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it was originally mean to be a trailer-debut / Cumberbatch-announcement event. Remember, the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer was supposed to debut tonight on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., but the trailer got leaked, as did the Cumberbatch announcement obviously. But it looks like Marvel has a few other surprises up their sleeve. I'm hearing there might even be Daredevil footage as well, which no one has seen yet.

Either way, I like the idea of more studios taking a page from Apple and doing their own announcement events, independent of Comic-Con. If this is a success - which it no doubt will be - expect more studios to follow suit.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
They did play a couple of clips of Daredevil at the New York Con, but I would like to hear maybe some news on the other Defenders, although up till now that information has been released at events independent of the other Marvel Studio events.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Civil War: Variety first reported that the Civil War storyline from Marvel's comicbooks will be introduced in "Captain America 3," and Feige is expected to discuss that element and how it fits into his plan for Marvel's movies over the next seven years.
For me, this is the biggest news of the announcement, assuming the report is right about them giving more details of it.
First Page Last Page
Page 6 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.