Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,602,672 Views | 45374 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Saxsoon
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In theory and on paper, this sounds awesome. But I'm just so sick of the de-aging stuff. As is, it's too damn distracting.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

In theory and on paper, this sounds awesome. But I'm just so sick of the de-aging stuff. As is, it's too damn distracting.
Agree. It takes me out of the movie/show.
redline248
AG
Filoni and Favreau may feel like as long as Hamill is around and willing, get him in a movie. Obviously, if he has to do any action it's easy to just stunt double all of it.

Question for you, though, TC...were you "distracted" by CLU in Tron Legacy? I guess at first it was a little distracting, but I was able to get over it pretty fast. I imagine I could do the same here. We ought to be pretty far ahead of that, tech wise. The voice is probably a little harder to pull off?
TCTTS
AG
CGI Clu, CGI Arnold, CGI Tarkin, CGI Leia, CGI Luke, CGI Indy... it's all so distracting and I never get used to any of it. The skin looks rubbery and the mouths never move right when they speak.
The Porkchop Express
AG
That was very limited and they used a lot of camera tricks so you didn't see the fave much. Way better effort on BOBF but still he wasn't doing much beyond standing and talking.
Farmer1906
AG
You're right but the point I was attempting to make is we got a taste of prime Luke saving the day. The perfect cameo. I'm not sure you can do a Mando movie and just have Luke as a side character or make another fan service cameo.
maroon barchetta

Captain Winky
Uncanny valley. No matter how much CGI advances we will likely be able to tell it is not a real person. I wish Hollywood would realize this and quit doing this crap but they won't
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. Either recast or, dare I say, tell NEW stories without those characters...
Hagen95
AG
Agreed. It's a whole galaxy of stories waiting to be told.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

Agreed. Either recast or, dare I say, tell NEW stories without those characters...

From your mouth to their ears.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You're right but the point I was attempting to make is we got a taste of prime Luke saving the day. The perfect cameo. I'm not sure you can do a Mando movie and just have Luke as a side character or make another fan service cameo.

The push would be luke and Han as larger characters in the new republic vs thrawn movie not the mando movie.
Farmer1906
AG
Gotcha. Makes more sense.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Just so everyone's clear...

- (2019) The Mandalorian - Season 1
- (2020) The Mandalorian - Season 2
- (2021) The Book of Boba Fett
- (2023) The Mandalorian - Season 3
- (2023) Ahsoka - Season 1
- (2024) The Skeleton Crew
- (2026?) Ahsoka - Season 2
- (2026?) The Mandalorian & Grogu

... are all leading up to/setting the stage for the Avengers-esque, New Republic / Heir to the Empire movie that Dave Filoni is directing. The Mandalorian & Grogu is almost assuredly taking the place of season four of The Mandalorian, NOT the Filoni movie. And the Filoni movie, in addition to bringing together all the New Republic-era Disney+ characters, is also the movie rumored to potentially bring Luke, Han, and maybe even Leia into the mix as well. Further, it likely won't be out until 2028 at the earliest.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

CGI Clu, CGI Arnold, CGI Tarkin, CGI Leia, CGI Luke, CGI Indy... it's all so distracting and I never get used to any of it. The skin looks rubbery and the mouths never move right when they speak.
The problem is also largely that we already know it's CG/de-aged.

In cases where CG is used for digital doubles and you aren't aware/looking for it it's far more successful.
ChipFTAC01
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I never put it together until know but I'm convinced the Stay on Target guy (Red Leader?) is Tackleberrry from Police Academy. I'm not going to even bother looking it up because I know I'm right.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
IMDB says you are incorrect.
redline248
AG
I have the perfect solution. Start the movie with old Mark Hamill telling a child Ben and another 1 or 2 students a story of his adventures as part of a lesson...

Then flash back to a recast, young Luke taking down Thrawn zombie stormtroopers
YouBet
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Based on my lone thread insider, the entire point is driving towards Filoni's big movie, which will be a rough equivalent of what was accomplished with Zahn's Heir ot the Empire Series in terms of timeline (5-10 years after ROTJ), the opponent (obviously Thrawn at the head of the remnants of the Empire, aided by a dark Force - in the books, Joruus C'baoth, in the show, the Nightsisters) facing off against a New Republic led by Mon Mothma with a gang of old heroes (this time the Rebels gang and Ahoska taking point over Luke / Leia / Han) and bringing in a somewhat shady third party to help - in the books, Kardde's organization / Mara / the smugglers; in the present, the Mandalorian clans and Mando and Grogu.

My guy says that the extended Indiana Jones flex with de-aged Harrison Ford was just as much about that future Star Wars movie as it was for Dial of Destiny - to prove that they could so it for long stretches, most likely for Luke and Han to have moderate roles in that film.

So, if a Mando / Grogu movie is building towards that movie with those stakes, and basically the story so many people say they wanted - of Luke in his prime of a Jedi fighting the remnants of the Empire, then hell yes is my only reaction.

In other words, we know the ST was a pile of crap so we are going to run a sort of end around and try to do Heir to an Empire by proxy. Since the latter of which is what we should have done all along.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

IMDB says you are incorrect.

Imdb can be wrong. I Know I'm right.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Whatever helps you get through your bitterness.

They couldn't have done a story about Younger Luke/Leia/Han in 2015 when TFA came out. Tarkin looks decent in Rogue One, but only because he'd been dead for 35 years. Rogue One Leia is not great, even for a few seconds.
jokershady
AG
Am I the only one who thought Rogue One Leia looked awesome?????

Of course also I….

1. Think Rogue One is the best Star Wars that ever Star Wars'd…

and…

2. Couldn't recognize Natalie Portman…

So take that for what it's worth…
TCTTS
AG
Ha, personally, of all the CGI attempts I listed above, I think she's easily the worst. And because of that, she's the one I'd be the most nervous about them trying to bring back in the Filoni movie.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I thought Tarkin looked really good. I showed my wife his appearance in ANH and then RO and she was just flabbergasted that it wasn't the same guy. For me, Leia is just too well known of a character for the level of tech that was available then. Plus, Carrie Fisher died right after the movie came out so it made it sort of uncomfortable for me at least.

Although I respect TC's opinion, the Luke in BOBF and the Indy in Dial of Destiny de-aged are phenomenal for me. I remember my brother texting me one morning after watching the Luke/Grogu centric episode of BOBF. He's a big SW nerd too, but a lot less rose-colored glasses than me, but his text was "It makes me feel like I"m a kid again seeing Luke Skywalker this way."

I know my age and the life events of the last decade plus have softened my edge on my entertainment requirements, but having the ability to see this guy talking to a live-action Ahsoka Tano just makes me happy, and I don't have a lot of requirements past that.

Ditto with WWII era Indy in the last movie.

jokershady
AG
Never saw Indy 5 but Luke in BoBF was a MASSIVE improvement over S2E8 of the mandalorian and pretty darn impressive
The Porkchop Express
AG
5 minute mini-doc about the making of it, at the part it starts here, you can see a good comparison of actual Harrison doing the scenes and how the de-aged version looks by comparison.

Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

Like the Mandalorian and Grogu!
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ornithopter
AG
Well, I thought it was a funny joke I made
TCTTS
AG
Ha, was hard to tell that was a joke...
Ornithopter
AG
I should have used a better emoji.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I get your joke more than guy online's TWitter joke.
TCTTS
AG
"Homework: The Movie"

=

having to watch, at the very least...

- The Mandalorian - Season 1
- The Mandalorian - Season 2
- The Book of Boba Fett
- The Mandalorian - Season 3

... to be fully prepared for the events of a movie (The Mandalorian & Grogu).

Disney just tried this with The Marvels and it failed miserably. Movie sequels to Disney+ shows simply isn't a winning strategy, but who knows, maybe they can at least break even in this case.
maroon barchetta

First Page Last Page
Page 1233 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.