Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,607,666 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

The opening crawls should be left to the Skywalker saga entries and that's it. The idea is something Lucas got from an old, black-and-white film from back in the day, and there is zero reason for it to continue to be used in the post-TROS era. It's also a crutch, narratively speaking. If you think your story needs an expositional download dump to the open the movie, you're either wrong or telling your story poorly…

It's iconic.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

I have no idea why it exists but it's funny

TTIWWOP
gougler08
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

maroon barchetta said:

I have no idea why it exists but it's funny

TTIWWOP

It's so oddly mesmerizing
TCTTS
AG
So, as of now, Disney/Lucasfilm has two dates officially secured for their next two Star Wars movies...

- December 19, 2025
- December 17, 2027

I've read a couple articles recently, and listened to the latest Ringer-verse podcast on all the announcements this past weekend, and in regards to the three movies just announced it sounds like...

- The Filoni movie is "six or seven years away," according to Kathleen Kennedy. Which would have it releasing in 2029 or 2030, after all season of The Mandalorian, Ahsoka, The Book of Boba Fett, Skelton Crew, etc have come out on Disney+. In other words, they're going to milk this era for everything it's worth on Disney+ first, before finally doing their crossover, Avengers-style climax movie toward the end of the decade, one that will basically set the stage for The Force Awakens.

- While putting the finishing touches on Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, James Mangold is currently writing - simultaneously - both Swamp Thing for DC *and* his Star Wars movie about the discovery of the Force. He said this past weekend that he doesn't know which one he's going to direct first, he's just going to see to see how the writing process goes for each and play it by ear. That said, either one will have to come after his next directorial effort, a Bob Dylan biopic starring Timothee Chalamet, which starts filming in August.

- Kathleen Kennedy is expecting the first draft of the Steven Knight script in the next six weeks (rewritten from the Damon Lindelof/Justin Britt-Gibson drafts), set to be direct by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and starring Daisy Ridley. Given that it's the furthest project along, if I had to guess...

- December 19, 2025 = Untitled Rey/New Jedi Order Movie
- December 17, 2027 = Untitled James Mangold/Dawn of the Jedi Movie
- December 14, 2029 = Untitled Dave Filoni/New Republic Movie

That said, a few other caveats...

- The Rise of Skywalker came out in 2019. If the Rey movie starts filming next year, for a 2025 release, only six years will have passed for Daisy Ridley between filming the two movies. However, her New Jedi Order movie is set 15 YEARS after The Rise of Skywalker, according to Kathleen Kennedy. So, while, yes, it'd be fairly easy to age Ridley up, or say she doesn't age as fast due to the Force, timeline-wise, it *does* make it an odd choice for the next movie in 2025.

- The Taika Waititi movie is still in play, and is apparently still being written, according to Kennedy. So that could eventually slide into one of these slots as well.

In other words, while three potentially awesome movies were announced this past weekend, we still have no real sense as to what's coming out when. And knowing how Lucasfilm operates under Kennedy/Disney, any of them are obviously subject to change or cancelation at a moment's notice.
Legal Custodian
AG
Thanks for the breakdown
TCTTS
Legal Custodian
AG
Maybe it's just me, but I would take a political drama series set in the start of the new republic era. I weirdly enjoyed the political landscape Lucas set up in the prequels. But alas, it's not an action series.
powerbelly
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would take a political drama series set in the start of the new republic era. I weirdly enjoyed the political landscape Lucas set up in the prequels. But alas, it's not an action series.

Agree. Give me the new republic west wing.
maroon barchetta
Legal Custodian said:

"I will not have my Star Wars stories stuck in a committee!!"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Legal Custodian said:

House of Sabaac.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Legal Custodian said:

A political thriller ala Captain America The Winter Soldier set on Coruscant could be awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Legal Custodian said:

AliasMan02
AG
They expect the Mandoverse cast to hang out for 3+ more years before they start filming a movie? That seems... unlikely.
TCTTS
AG
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Legal Custodian said:

I was the weird 11 year old who enjoyed the politics of trade agreements
ChipFTAC01
AG
I know I've seen a timeline picture but roughly:

Clone Wars between aotc and rots, like 25 to 20 bby?

Rebels - leading up to ANH? 5 BBY?

Mando verse - 10 years after rotj? 15aby?
maroon barchetta
Saxsoon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Legal Custodian said:

I bet you killed it at Model UN, like Rueben Pfeffer in Along Came Polly.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Rey movie entitled The Force Reawakens?
Life is better with a beagle
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reyvenge of the Sith
C@LAg
The Newer Hope of the Return of a Skywalker Striking Back
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Reyturn of the Jedi
jokershady
AG
Saxsoon said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Legal Custodian said:

I bet you played this a lot growing up as well….

TCTTS
AG
gougler08
AG
TCTTS said:

I mean that would only make $1209382109 dollars (approximately)
redline248
AG
gougler08 said:

TCTTS said:

I mean that would only make $1209382109 dollars (approximately)
It would look more like the national debt clock
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

We had a pretty good discussion on this very subject after the BOBF episode where Luke's CGI was so significantly upgraded from the previous year's effort in The Mandalorian. I would bet good money that Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford are both in this movie, although HF is 80 so they better get moving already. It also seems entirely likely that part of the plot of the Dial of Destiny involving Indiana Jones flashbacks was to confirm that they could use archival footage to make him look fantastic at a younger age.

They could definitely mostly just have a younger Han in talky scenes and flying the Falcon with Chewie. Luke would need to be more active presumably, although neither of them should be the main character. If they push the timeline to where it's around 20 ABY, they could even sneak a teenage Ben Solo into the plot, maybe even have him make his first contact with Snoke.

Would love a subplot where Luke is reunited with Grogu during an extended action sequence and obviously enamored by his powers and tries to train him again, while Ben Solo - his "prize pupil" is right there watching it and getting pissed about potentially being set aside. Kind of the vibe you very mildly get from Obi-Wan during TPM when Qui-Gon wants to promote him to Knight so he can take Anakin as his Padawan.
maroon barchetta
Ben kills Grogu, or serves him up to Snoke.
jokershady
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Ben kills Grogu, or serves him up to Snoke.
Ive always said I believe they close out Grogu's story with him ending up as a crew member on the Ghost since it's a safe way for fans to know:

1. He's still helping the Resistance since the Ghost is present in Exogul.
2. They can always have him re-appear in other stories if they chose depending on how the Ashoka series and this upcoming movie ends with the other characters since we know nothing about the Ghost post Rebels.
The Porkchop Express
AG
There's now way they'd kill Grogu. He'll go off into the unknowns to do something or other.
jokershady
AG
um....has this ever been brought up as an idea on how "lightsabers work" in the shows and movies????

cause if so boy this would actually explain pretty much everything with regards to the inconsistencies we've seen throughout Star Wars....

this would also explain the darksaber......
Kate Beckett
AG
Kill Grogu, the Star Wars cash cow? No way.
redline248
AG
jokershady said:

um....has this ever been brought up as an idea on how "lightsabers work" in the shows and movies????

cause if so boy this would actually explain pretty much everything with regards to the inconsistencies we've seen throughout Star Wars....

this would also explain the darksaber......
If we need to explain the inconsistencies with our real world knowledge, sure. maybe.

But the real answer is how much "gore" the directors want to show. Guess they didn't want alien body parts flying all over the place on Jabba's barge.
ABATTBQ11
AG
As an aside, Luke's CGI rendering was so much better because Lucasfilm hired a YouTuber who put out a better deepfake on his channel.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

As an aside, Luke's CGI rendering was so much better because Lucasfilm hired a YouTuber who put out a better deepfake on his channel.
next you're going to tell me that Andor only used practical sets!
ABATTBQ11
AG
No, I'll tell you Andor did actually use The Volume in some places.
First Page Last Page
Page 1197 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.