Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,608,303 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If it's for the 40th anniversary of the ORIGINAL….then they should show THE ORIGINAL….

No cgi screaming weirdos in Jabba's palace…..
sburg2007
Should and will are two different things.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
jokershady said:

If it's for the 40th anniversary of the ORIGINAL….then they should show THE ORIGINAL….

Give me Lapti Nek and the Ewok celebration from the OT anytime
The Porkchop Express
AG
sburg2007 said:

Return of the Jedi coming back to theaters for anniversary. Cue outrage over which version it is.
Just confirmed with my dad and my brother that we'll go see it when it comes back out!

Dad: 34
Brother: 12
Me: 9

Dad: 74
Brother: 52
Me: 49
My daughter: 11

Life is better with a beagle
Saxsoon
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

sburg2007 said:

Return of the Jedi coming back to theaters for anniversary. Cue outrage over which version it is.
Just confirmed with my dad and my brother that we'll go see it when it comes back out!

Dad: 34
Brother: 12
Me: 9

Dad: 74
Brother: 52
Me: 49
My daughter: 11

That is awesome
The Porkchop Express
AG
The first crossover from The High Republic to live action has been announced!

Verenstra Rwoh, Padawan of Stellan Gios in the books who becomes a Jedi Knight at a very young age is going to be in the Acolyte.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They spelled Henry Thomas's name wrong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
From that Gilroy / Luna vid, it's so awesome seeing how embraced that show and that character has become.

Also, as a writer, can you imagine a huge crowd chanting one of your lines ("One way out!") back to you like that? That's gotta feel amazing. That's the writer equivalent of hearing an arena sing along to your song.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's a valid question. Also, he doesn't even watch Star Wars, so he couldn't care less.
TCTTS
AG
That's an incredible poster.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's a valid question. Also, he doesn't even watch Star Wars, so he couldn't care less.
How does Disney stop them from saying "yeah, that just looked ok."
TCTTS
AG
They don't invite them back to the next Celebration, or the next movie premiere, or the next press day, where they get to interview and interact with celebrities, etc. It's why it's the exact same journalists/personalities being invited by Disney to all of these Star Wars/Marvel events, and why you never read a negative reaction from any of them.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
First of all, yes, this tweet is about Ahsoka, but the same concern applies. We've discussed this before, and some people here said the Filoni movie would never happen for this very reason (there's too much past content to have followed to be able to make sense of the movie, thus excluding the casual fan). But now that it's official/a reality, are we at all concerned that Lucasfilm is ultimately setting themselves up for box office failure? Are there enough hardcore fans who will have watched all the live action shows and at least a decent amount of the animated stuff to make the Filoni movie profitable theatrically? I honestly don't know what to think. Personally, I'm excited, but at the same time the argument could be made that a culminating, "Avengers" style story should have simply been another Disney+ series/season event instead...

jeffk
AG
Are you going to see it or skip it?
TCTTS
AG
I'll of course be seeing it. But that's because I've seen all of the live action shows, and have at least a rudimentary understanding of what happened in the animated stuff. My question is, are there enough of us to make the movie profitable theatrically? Especially when we saw that a number of people here didn't even watch The Book of Boba Fett, and thus weren't even aware about the Mando/Grogu reunion.
jeffk
AG
I think there are a crapton of people just like you and an even larger crapton of people who know far less than you but will show up at theaters to see whatever SW property is playing on the big screen.

Also, those cartoons were pretty dang popular.
TCTTS
AG
That's good to hear. For the record, I'm not sh*tting on the decision at all. I'm excited, just genuinely curious.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

First of all, yes, this tweet is about Ahsoka, but the same concern applies. We've discussed this before, and some people here said the Filoni movie would never happen for this very reason (there's too much past content to have followed to be able to make sense of the movie, thus excluding the casual fan). But now that it's official/a reality, are we at all concerned that Lucasfilm is ultimately setting themselves up for box office failure? Are there enough hardcore fans who will have watched all the live action shows and at least a decent amount of the animated stuff to make the Filoni movie profitable theatrically? I honestly don't know what to think. Personally, I'm excited, but at the same time the argument could be made that a culminating, "Avengers" style story should have simply been another Disney+ series/season event instead...

This is all a function of the popularity of the IP we are talking about. And it really only applies to two IPs...possibly three (Star Wars, Marvel...DC).

The more popular you get the more content is going to be made across multiple mediums to capitalize.

I have to consult a timeline and do at least some level of research every time I watch a Marvel or Star Wars property to baseline my knowledge before starting it.

So, I think that guys tweet, while valid, is almost irrelevant. It's just where we are.
jeffk
AG
Oh, I know.

I do think the BOBF decision was stupid, but this new movie isn't really a valid comparison. TV shows get ported to the theater all the time and some are really successful. This of course is a SW property, so I think it'll do just fine.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. In other words, it's expected/par for the course nowadays.
redline248
AG
Clone Wars was out in 2008-2012? originally. Let's say that a nice chunk of kids ages 8-15 watched it. How old are those kids now? They are all gonna go, and take their kids.

I also have to think Disney knows how many people have been watching those shows now that Mandalorian has been a success. Like a previous poster said, Disney also knows that people are gonna show up and watch anyway, b/c it's Star Wars.

and then, those that haven't seen the cartoons are gonna go back and watch them...or at least a significant number will.
TCTTS
AG
You're probably right. Granted, Mando's ratings *have* dropped this season, but The Clone Wars might be the bigger audience regardless. Ashoka's numbers will certainly be telling in that regard. As popular as Mando was/is, I wonder if the The Clone Wars/Ahsoka story will ultimately eclipse it.
jeffk
AG
And then there's the toys and other merch and stuff at the parks. There's really no way this loses money for the Mouse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady said:

I'll take Victory Celebration over Yub Nub, and Hayden as Anakin, please and thank you.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

That guy calling them children's cartoons is proof that he's never watched any of them.
TCTTS
AG
True, but even out of the handful of episodes I've seen, some of them felt directly aimed at ten-year-olds. Like Saturday-morning-cartoon type of stuff. Also, most people associate animated content with kids. There are always exceptions, of course, but this isn't some weird take.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

They don't invite them back to the next Celebration, or the next movie premiere, or the next press day, where they get to interview and interact with celebrities, etc. It's why it's the exact same journalists/personalities being invited by Disney to all of these Star Wars/Marvel events, and why you never read a negative reaction from any of them.
The problem is that most of those people aren't real journalists. At least not the way that the term should be used. Real journalists report the facts without injecting their opinions into them. They work for media outlets where the content they produce is in no way related to who advertises with their media out. I think there are about 12 real journalists left on the planet. Most publications don't really want that anymore. They want, breaking news, big opinions, and clickable headlines. Magazines and newspapers largely died 15-20 years ago, so most of them have had to scrap the "fair / balanced" shtick for clicks on web ads at all costs.

The independent bloggers, Twitter people, YouTube hosts, etc. want clicks on their websites so that they get paid by Google or whichever scheme they are using. So they can schmooze the powers that be and go ga-ga over everything and keep getting invited back or they can go the other way and crap on everything to get the other section of the audience that thrives on looking down on popular culture. It's a vicious cycle, but if it's profitable, people aren't going to stop doing it.

So very few people are motivated to just report the news and let the audience form their own opinion. Because nobody is going to Re-Tweet "Star Wars adds 3 new shows to Disney+" lineup, but they will definitely Re-Tweet "Jude Law's New Star Wars Series a TOTAL DISASTER".

For my 2 cents, that's why I never worry much about a review for good or ill. The only set of eyeballs I really trust to tell me if the show is worth my time or not are mine.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Then there's the ones who just make **** up to maintain an air of relevance. (Thinking of a certain woman on YouTube.)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Then there's the ones who just make **** up to maintain an air of relevance. (Thinking of a certain woman on YouTube.)
SuperShadow truly was born like 20 years too early.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

True, but even out of the handful of episodes I've seen, some of them felt directly aimed at ten-year-olds. Like Saturday-morning-cartoon type of stuff. Also, most people associate animated content with kids. There are always exceptions, of course, but this isn't some weird take.
No, I get it. it's the fight that any animation people have been fighting for 40+ years. But now that Filoni is majorly in charge of a lot of stuff at SW, people who don't want to watch animation are going to miss out on a lot of stuff. It's their call.
First Page Last Page
Page 1193 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.