Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,610,327 Views | 45382 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by YouBet
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, Thanos is in the SW Universe now?

twilly
AG
If he is, can he snap his fingers and make the sequel trilogy go away?

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
TCTTS
AG
jokershady
AG
twilly said:

If he is, can he snap his fingers and make the sequel trilogy go away?
Jim01
AG
Amen to this.

Season 1 is so dark and anger inducing. It's amazing that SNL never did a bit making fun of it and how gloomy every single scene and line was played. I've never hated a "villain" more than Patti Levin. I was cheering out loud when she got her head bashed in.

The jump from season 1 to season 2 though is the biggest jump in quality I've ever seen a show make. It went from interesting to masterpiece level and held there until the end.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Saxsoon said:

Somehow, the writers left

Gd it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Based on the track history of every single Star Wars movie announced since 2018...yeah, not buying this. Writing's on the wall.
ABATTBQ11
AG
TCTTS said:

Soooooooooo it's gonna suck...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much the only way to read this. They hired Lindelof, he was unhappy with the script, and rather than try to improve it, they parted ways with him. (Or he left of his own accord.)

Either way, this is a terrible sign and just adds to the list of failures by Lucasfilm when it comes to the movies. It's highly concerning. Seriously, not a SINGLE one of the movie projects they've announced has actually worked out.
TCTTS
AG
Except you're leaving out the parts where they've already hired another writer and the movie is still on track to shoot in 2024/release in 2025, with the director still attached. Yes, it sucks that Lucasfilm and Lindelof didn't see eye-to-eye, but if this project were dead, it would be dead. They're not trying to cover anything up here, and again, this is par for the course for the development of the vast majority of blockbusters.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weren't you the guy who was most excited about Damon Lindelof in particular? I'm surprised this doesn't concern you more. I don't know what would be worse, the movie falling apart, or moving forward with a subpar script.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't say I'm not disappointed. I am. I'm just pointing out the fact that, as of now, the movie is still happening. Yes, the sky is still falling at Lucasfilm, but I'm saying that in this particular instance I don't think it's going to lead to the movie being cancelled.
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

I didn't say I'm not disappointed. I am. I'm just pointing out the fact that, as of now, the movie is still happening. Yes, the sky is still falling at Lucasfilm, but I'm saying that in this particular instance I don't think it's going to lead to the movie being cancelled.
I never thought the news meant movie canceled, but I think it means it won't be very good.

I think there are 2 ways to look at. 1) Lindelof wanted to do something really dumb and Disney said gtfo. 2) Disney wants something dumb and is trying to force it into the movie and Lindelof said I'm out.

2nd option is more likely, imo, and is bad news.
Flashdiaz
AG
oh well, at least Lucasfilm is paying attention to the story now unlike 7-9
TCTTS
AG
redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

I never thought the news meant movie canceled, but I think it means it won't be very good.

I think there are 2 ways to look at. 1) Lindelof wanted to do something really dumb and Disney said gtfo. 2) Disney wants something dumb and is trying to force it into the movie and Lindelof said I'm out.

Here's Lindelof's exact quote...

Quote:

"I will just say, that for reasons that I can't get into on this Sunday morning, on this day, the degree of difficulty is extremely, extremely, extremely high," said Lindelof. "If it can't be great, it shouldn't exist. That's all I'll say, because I have the same association with it as you do, which is, it's the first movie I saw sitting in my dad's lap, four years old, May of '77. I think it's possible that sometimes when you hold something in such high reverence and esteem, you start to get in the kitchen and you just go, 'Maybe I shouldn't be cooking. Maybe I should just be eating.' We'll just leave it at that."

So, yeah, I take that as the second option, or at least a version of it. Lindelof presumably thinks that what he turned in is either great, or a draft or two away from greatness. But Lucasfilm thought otherwise, and wanted to take it in a different direction, one that Lindelof didn't believe is as "great." Granted, who knows who's right (I'm of course siding with Lindelof), but it could be as simple as Lucasfilm feeling that Lindelof's version *is* great, but perhaps too "out there," and they want another writer to make it more accessible/mainstream. That would of course speak to Lucasfilm wanting to play it safe, instead of taking chances, which is what got them in this mess to begin with. But they've created this situation now where the next movie has to be perfect, and a huge hit, or they risk losing the theatrical side of the franchise altogether. So, once again, they're potentially holding on too tight and round and round they go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Campea usually annoys me, but he's spot on here.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty much verbalized my exact thoughts about KK, the situation at Lucasfilm, and especially about doing a trilogy with no plan.
Saxsoon
AG
It was a very accurate portrayal

She is a ****ing legend and should be recognized as such. But this isn't working.

I had to change jobs last year because it wasn't working and frankly I am back to *rockstar* status with my new leaders. It was hard to admit to myself but it was the best thing for me and my former leadership.
ABATTBQ11
AG
redline248 said:

TCTTS said:

I'm going with #2 unfortunately.
Rex Racer
AG
I was worried a bit when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Star Wars movies were an event for the first 40-something years of my life. I knew once Disney started pumping out new movies at the pace they were talking about, the "special" might wear off, and that there were going to be more stinkers just due to the quantity.

I had no idea…
Chipotlemonger
AG
They way Lucasfilms/Star Wars is going reminds me a lot of the Dallas Cowboys, unfortunately. (Battered Cowboys fan here)

Lots of pressure and meddling from the top of the organization that is over the top, unnecessary, and typically detrimental.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

They way Lucasfilms/Star Wars is going reminds me a lot of the Dallas Cowboys, unfortunately. (Battered Cowboys fan here)

Lots of pressure and meddling from the top of the organization that is over the top, unnecessary, and typically detrimental.

Yep. Hire good people. Let them do their jobs.
maroon barchetta
ABATTBQ11 said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Yep. Hire good people. Let them do their jobs.

I've seen multiple instances of micromanagers that can't do this. They say they are going to hire people and empower them and yadda yadda. But in the end, they can't change who they are. They absolutely must put their hands on every aspect of the organization, down to worrying about minute details that they shouldn't even consider, and fretting over budgetary items of a few hundred dollars when their annual budget is in the tens of millions.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Preach
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm sure someone at the top is saying things like, "You need more connection to the franchise. There should be a callback to ______," "There's not enough representation among the characters. You need to add someone who's _______in or change _____ to _____," " It doesn't have enough comic relief. Add a gungan," or, "We need a tie in to D+. ______ needs to be included."

They're inevitably going to corporate the **** out of it and wonder why people hate it.
Ag Since 83
AG
It's actually impressive they can get criticized for micromanaging/meddling from the top while also getting criticized for letting JJ and Rian do whatever they wanted
ABATTBQ11
AG
Different issues. With the ST, therr was no overarching story direction or vision, so they could do whatever they wanted in that respect. The top didn't manage it because even they didn't know where it was going. That doesn't stop them from micro managing the details though.

Think of it like the ship captain telling the helmsman how to hold the wheel but to go in whatever direction he feels like.
Saxsoon
AG
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/star-wars-steven-knight-damon-lindelof-justin-britt-gibson-1235560466/

Peaky Blinders writer now attached instead of Lindelof
TCTTS
AG
If Damon/Gibson had to be replaced, Knight is at least a pretty damn good/exciting replacement.
gougler08
AG
Peaky Blinders was awesome so I can get behind that
redline248
AG
Random post:

I discovered this while looking at google maps of a place featured on the tv show called Mysteries of the Abandoned...(a zoo on this island in Detroit). When I saw this I literally laughed out loud.

maroon barchetta
redline248
AG
Focus on the little box in the middle of the picture
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1184 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.