Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,610,510 Views | 45382 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by YouBet
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So, Hondo is at the top of everyone's wish list for a live action appearance, right?

Any fancasting for who should play him?
They can just use the thing they built for Smuggler's Run.

Life is better with a beagle
Saxsoon
AG
AliasMan02 said:

So, Hondo is at the top of everyone's wish list for a live action appearance, right?

Man Cummings has such a distinctive voice for him. That would be hard.
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

AliasMan02 said:

Man Cummings has such a distinctive voice for him. That would be hard.

His name is Man Cummings? That is simply incredible and I'm kind of jealous.
redline248
AG
Hondo was never my favorite, but apparently I'm in the minority. Besides, his 2 main character interactions were Obi-Wan and Ezra. If we're in the post-empire timeline, he'd be super old. Although, now that I post that I remember what Porkchop posted that he's in galaxy's edge, which is set in the sequel era. So, I guess he's ageless, ha.

Anyway, I personally don't need more Hondo, but I also could have done without live Cad Bane.
maroon barchetta
Live Cad Bane didn't translate well from the awesomeness that is animated Cad Bane.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Put me down in the "not really a fan of Hondo" camp.
The Collective
AG
For some reason when you guys said Hondo, I kept thinking of Holdo… was wondering why people wanted her back.
cbr
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

You guys know I'm never one for the declaration of a movie being "objectively" bad or good.

Solo is technically well made, with solid actors and a decent plot.

My issue with that movie is never justified its own existence to me. We didn't really learn anything new that shed further light on that character, much less enough to justify recasting one of the most iconic characters of all time.

Aside from the fact that the movie feels very cookie-cutter, safe, and made by committee. It's somewhat of the same feeling you get from TFA, but more so here.

It's just not one I find myself ever itching to rewatch, as huge a SW as I am.

I don't understand people being so against recasting characters. If the original actors are too old, and you have a good story to tell, recast them.
Definitely better to just write an original story, but obviously that's not super likely anytime soon
It gets problematic with iconic characters played by great though. Solo was harrison ford, and there is a reason his career took off.

Casting some short, frumpy kid to recast him never had a chance, but finding anyone to pull it off would have been tough.

Any idiot should have watched auditions/early filming and killed this one. The actor was clearly not in the same league and all anyone could think about the entire movie was 'this isnt han solo'
dave94
AG
I actually thought "this is a fun movie".
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hondo will likely belong on the Skeleton Crew show.
cbr
AG
dave94 said:

I actually thought "this is a fun movie".
Back up…i didnt say i hated it. I watched it once back when and those were my thoughts. It was just 'ok'

I watched it one more time recently and it was somewhat entertaining, some good moments. Just a lost opportunity a bit and one that probably shouldnt have been made.

Then again, compared to the sequels, and obi wan (where they still had a good actor available), it was a freaking epic masterpiece.
AliasMan02
AG
Looks like a Celebration announcement.

AliasMan02
AG
Here's a one-off movie pitch I think we could all get behind.

This story would happen about 700 years before The High Republic era, and about 2000 years after the events of SWTOR.

I default to a preference for series rather than movies these days, but I think this could make a good film. Only drawback is a lack of time to acclimate the audience to a different world/era.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have to be honest that of all the films to be announced (and never materialize), this one excited me the least.

I love Lost and Prometheus, so it's not a lack of faith in Damon Lindelof. It just feels like a very "safe", JJ Abrams type choice, plus the fact that it takes place after the sequels, just doesn't get me all that excited about it.

I was way more into the idea of Rogue Squadron or even the Taika movie. But, we shall see.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

This story would happen about 700 years before The High Republic era, and about 2000 years after the events of SWTOR.

I default to a preference for series rather than movies these days, but I think this could make a good film. Only drawback is a lack of time to acclimate the audience to a different world/era.
Uh...yes, please.
TXAG 05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

One thing I noticed while watching that clip is the Star Wars clip they used. That was the original 1977 release of the movie, without the Episode IV A New Hope subtitle. I didn't realize that version of the movie was available anywhere (other than in my movie room, where I have it on a laser disc box set of the original releases of all of the OT).

I have the original versions on DVD. There was a 6 disc set that had both the originals and the special editions.
jeffk
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Din about to decapitate himself in that picture.
jokershady
AG
jeffk said:

AliasMan02 said:

Din about to decapitate himself in that picture.
This is the w……

*gasp*

Edit: just thought about this shouldn't he already be slicing off his left shoulder blade? That's not a broadsword he's resting on his back with a dull edge….
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Live Cad Bane didn't translate well from the awesomeness that is animated Cad Bane.

I'm clearly not up to speed on all the shows because this is news to me. #spoiler
redline248
AG
Book of Boba Fett
YouBet
AG
redline248 said:

Book of Boba Fett

Lol. No show had been spoiled more for me than that one.

Mando, BY, now Cad.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Think of all the amazing performance jokes bo Katan could make about mando while watching him use the darksaber.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think they decided lightsabers can't slice through Beskar in season 2 of Mandalorian.
Thanks and gig'em
jokershady
AG
redline248
AG
YouBet said:

redline248 said:

Book of Boba Fett

Mando, BY, now Cad.
It's your own fault for not watching it when it aired
YouBet
AG
redline248 said:

YouBet said:

redline248 said:

Book of Boba Fett

Mando, BY, now Cad.
It's your own fault for not watching it when it aired

It was so bad I stopped right before it fan serviced the **** out of its own fan serviced premise.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have to be honest that of all the films to be announced (and never materialize), this one excited me the least.

I love Lost and Prometheus, so it's not a lack of faith in Damon Lindelof. It just feels like a very "safe", JJ Abrams type choice, plus the fact that it takes place after the sequels, just doesn't get me all that excited about it.

I was way more into the idea of Rogue Squadron or even the Taika movie. But, we shall see.

Man, I literally feel the exact opposite. Lindelof is not only one of the best writers in the business, I don't consider him "safe" at all. His last two efforts, The Leftovers and Watchmen, are some of the weirdest, riskiest, most memorable series I've ever seen. Never mind the fact that I thought both were excellent. That, and I'm so incredibly glad that this doesn't look to be yet another movie/series set between stories we already know, in a time period we're already familiar with. We *finally* look to be getting a NEW story told by competent filmmakers who have spent well over a year working on the script, who even had a writers room with additional writers to help conceive, outline, and punch holes in the story before pen even went to paper. Whatever this story is, it's been meticulously prepared, battle tested like hell, and it's from the mind of one of the most competent, singular voices in blockbuster filmmaking.

Personally, I need a break from Taika after Love and Thunder, and honestly the idea of Rogue Squadron never really did much for me. This, on the other hand, sounds like something that can really set a new tone going forward theatrically, and will likely be the first movie in a new series, one that's actually being planned and considered well in advance.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I definitely lost Taika after L&T, but how they can't figure out a Rogue Squadron movie blows my mind, especially because you could start with its formation after the Battle of Yavin and have it skew through pieces of the OT, even toss in a couple of cameos like Ackbar or something.

It also misses the chance to go hog wild with some alien characters taking larger roles because most of the CGI work would be in a cockpit instead of a lot of action sequences.

Even if they just totally lifted plot lines from several of the novels they could make some brilliant movies.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Watchmen earned Lindelof a lot of cred in my book.

Which he needed, because Star Trek Into Darkness was terrible.

So… we'll see
Thanks and gig'em
maroon barchetta
Aggie_Journalist said:

So… we'll see

Loved Into Darkness
TCTTS
AG
For the record, Lindelof was one of three co-writers on Into Darkness, and the low man on the totem pole at that. Kurtzman and Orci, who wrote the first movie, were the other two writers, and the ones who forced the Khan redo, which I personally thought was a bad idea and made for a pretty dumb movie. And this is coming from someone who thinks the '09 Trek is one of the best blockbusters of the century.
redline248
AG
Quote:

We *finally* look to be getting a NEW story told by competent filmmakers who have spent well over a year working on the script, who even had a writers room with additional writers to help conceive, outline, and punch holes in the story before pen even went to paper. Whatever this story is, it's been meticulously prepared, battle tested like hell, and it's from the mind of one of the most competent, singular voices in blockbuster filmmaking.
You're doing that thing where you hype yourself into an expectation of awesomeness, again.
TCTTS
AG
When the final product finally drops, I can be objective enough that it doesn't matter how hyped I was previously. That, and I've been burned by Star Wars so many times since 1999 that my expectations won't be that high to begin with. I'm just glad they're actually taking the time to plan something this go around, with a more than competent writer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
TXAG 05 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

One thing I noticed while watching that clip is the Star Wars clip they used. That was the original 1977 release of the movie, without the Episode IV A New Hope subtitle. I didn't realize that version of the movie was available anywhere (other than in my movie room, where I have it on a laser disc box set of the original releases of all of the OT).

I have the original versions on DVD. There was a 6 disc set that had both the originals and the special editions.

For up that DVD burner and send the 3 OGs my way
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Aggie_Journalist said:

So… we'll see

Loved Into Darkness

Me too… Cumberbatch was awesome, Pine was great, and Spock-actor did great too… it was fun, pretty brutal, had a good twist or 3, … really enjoyed that one.

Didn't care for Beyond that much…

But this is a Star Wars thread
First Page Last Page
Page 1182 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.