Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,611,041 Views | 45382 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by YouBet
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not saying they feel safe. I am saying Solo and TFA and somewhat R1 feel similar. And that feeling to me is Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to disagree. Solo never really felt like Star Wars to me. Especially not a SW movie . Those should always be events, and I never got that feeling for Solo. And judging by the box office I wasn't alone in that. (I agree that the poor reception of TLJ didn't help, but if it had been a great movie with great word of mouth, it would've done much better.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say that in retrospect it could've worked much better as a Disney+ series. It never felt big enough to justify a movie, but as a series like Boba Fett or Andor, it could've made a bigger splash.
The Porkchop Express
AG
YouBet said:

Yeah, but i don't really count the comic books although i realize they are canon. I do count the video games so I'm a hypocrite i guess.
Asks for continuation of story.
Receives continuation of story
Doesn't count continuation of story.

Life is better with a beagle
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

YouBet said:

Yeah, but i don't really count the comic books although i realize they are canon. I do count the video games so I'm a hypocrite i guess.
Asks for continuation of story.
Receives continuation of story
Doesn't count continuation of story.

Every single character of any significance HAS to interact with Vader in comics. It's a rule.
jokershady
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

Solo was objectively bad on its own
No it wasn't. Your statement is objectively false however.
Solo has grown on me more and more over the years where now I like it more than anything out of the sequel trilogy
TCTTS
AG
This is the way.
TCTTS
AG
PatAg
AG
jokershady said:

double aught said:

Quote:

Solo was objectively bad on its own
No it wasn't. Your statement is objectively false however.
Solo has grown on me more and more over the years where now I like it more than anything out of the sequel trilogy

There are definitely story choices that are just outright awful, but I think it's a good move in spite of them.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

You guys know I'm never one for the declaration of a movie being "objectively" bad or good.

Solo is technically well made, with solid actors and a decent plot.

My issue with that movie is never justified its own existence to me. We didn't really learn anything new that shed further light on that character, much less enough to justify recasting one of the most iconic characters of all time.

Aside from the fact that the movie feels very cookie-cutter, safe, and made by committee. It's somewhat of the same feeling you get from TFA, but more so here.

It's just not one I find myself ever itching to rewatch, as huge a SW as I am.

I don't understand people being so against recasting characters. If the original actors are too old, and you have a good story to tell, recast them.
Definitely better to just write an original story, but obviously that's not super likely anytime soon
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's exactly my point though. WAS the story really good enough to justify making that movie?

I feel like they just wanted to make a Han movie and worked their way backwards from there, rather than having a good story idea. Sadly I feel this is what the underlying problem was with the Obi-Wan series. Kinda felt like they knew the ending they wanted and just worked their way backwards from there to reverse engineer a serviceable story.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Star Wars could use more low stakes movies like Solo that are just 2 hours of fun and fighting. The villains were a bit boring, and Maul really confused anyone who didn't watch the cartoons - which is apparently everyone, but it had good laughs, good space battles, and I love the train robbery, particularly the fight between Woody and Enfys Nest.

Rogue One is a far superior film in terms of the way it's created, but its story is just as low stakes. We know they're going to successfully get the plans to the Death Star and upload them. I would have loved a Solo sequel with Lando, Fett, Jabba, and his whole menagerie. It's a real shame they didn't find a way to bring it into some sort of life. Even a Qi'ra reunion where Han guns her down to become the hard-ass he is at the beginning of SW would have been great.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's exactly my point though. WAS the story really good enough to justify making that movie?

I feel like they just wanted to make a Han movie and worked their way backwards from there, rather than having a good story idea. Sadly I feel this is what the underlying problem was with the Obi-Wan series. Kinda felt like they knew the ending they wanted and just worked their way backwards from there to reverse engineer a serviceable story.

It was an incredibly fun, incredibly well-paced movie. That's what justified its existence. No movie has to justify its existence beyond simply being effective at entertaining its audience. And yes, personally, I found Solo to be *very* good. I didn't give a sh*t how Han and Chewie got together, nor how they got the Millennium Flacon, nor what made Han so jaded and distrusting, but the movie made all of those things fun and interesting and poignant, especially toward the end with how Beckett betrayed him, in exactly the way he did. The screenplay is soooo well-done, moves, moves, moves, has some nice fake-outs, and pays off everything it sets up, in expert fashion. We hardly ever need backstory-filler movies, but I'll take them when they're made with as much joy and heart as Solo, and I'll take it over the prequels (in terms of needlessly filling in backstory) all day long.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
The Porkch said:

Maul really confused anyone who didn't watch the cartoons - which is apparently everyone,
I liked the return of Maul on the big screen and was hoping we'd see more and explore some Crimson Dawn.

But his threatening Qi'ra with a lightsaber over skype call was pretty laughable. Nowhere close to Vader force choking Ozzel.
The Porkchop Express
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

The Porkch said:

Maul really confused anyone who didn't watch the cartoons - which is apparently everyone,
I liked the return of Maul on the big screen and was hoping we'd see more and explore some Crimson Dawn.

But his threatening Qi'ra with a lightsaber over skype call was pretty laughable. Nowhere close to Vader force choking Ozzel.
He should have then regaled her with the tale of the time he killed Qui-Gon Jinn and brought up a holo-recording so she could watch it while he did play by play.
YouBet
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

The Porkch said:

His first problem was using Skype. He's probably the first entity in both made up universes and real life that's ever actually used that product and wasn't aware there wasn't a force projection feature.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Knowing the outcome =/= low stakes. That would make every prequel ever made low stakes, and that's just not true.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gonna challenge you a bit here, but just for the sake of discussion.

Why is it that Solo can just be a fun adventure, but Mandalorian does the same and you criticize it for not being more dark, serious, and in tone with Andor?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Gonna challenge you a bit here, but just for the sake of discussion.

Why is it that Solo can just be a fun adventure, but Mandalorian does the same and you criticize it for not being more dark, serious, and in tone with Andor?
TCTTS
AG
I don't at all care that Mando isn't as "dark" or "serious" as Andor. I care that it's not as good (or just good, period). I'm clearly all for a fun tone, I just want the writing/storytelling to be better. Solo is fun *and* the writing/storytelling are both top notch. Mando is fun, but the writing/storytelling leave a lot to be desired (in my opinion). That's the difference. I want Star Wars to have all kinds of varying tones, what I don't want is for it to have is all kinds of varying quality.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't at all care that Mando isn't as "dark" or "serious" as Andor. I care that it's not as good (or just good, period). I'm clearly all for a fun tone, I just want the writing/storytelling to be better. Solo is fun *and* the writing/storytelling are both top notch. Mando is fun, but the writing/storytelling leave a lot to be desired (in my opinion). That's the difference. I want Star Wars to have all kinds of varying tones, what I don't want is for it to have is all kinds of varying quality.

Bingo.
cbr
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Knowing the outcome =/= low stakes. That would make every prequel ever made low stakes, and that's just not true.
Agreed- i though r1 had the highest stakes of any sw movie. For the protagonists, main antagonist, and the galaxy. And they all died.
double aught
AG
Quality discussion on a 1200 page thread.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I guess Marvel is the only peer at this point due to sheer output but the standard deviation in quality with Star Wars is LARGE. Some of it is absolute trash regardless of genre and then other shows are fantastic regardless of genre.

Guess that's why Feige and Takita (or whatever his name is) have been brought into Star Wars?
TCTTS
AG
Feige is no longer involved, as his project has been shelved. Check the story I posted above/yesterday.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Feige is no longer involved, as his project has been shelved. Check the story I posted above/yesterday.
TCTTS
AG
Aggie_Journalist
AG
So many Star Wars movies have been announced and cancelled that I've hit the "I'll believe it when I see a trailer" phase of excitement for any of it.
Thanks and gig'em
wangus12
AG
Same. I'm sure Celebration will roll around and they'll announce a bunch of things only to cancel them in 10-18 months
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think Eisner back in charge will end the waffling post haste.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I think Eisner back in charge will end the waffling post haste.

Agree; that whole company needs a leader. Don't know Iger's modus operandi but the Star Wars branch of Disney needs some serious vision and direction.

(Good point below)
TCTTS
AG
Just FYI, it's Bob IGER who's back. Eisner was prior to Iger.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
One thing I noticed while watching that clip is the Star Wars clip they used. That was the original 1977 release of the movie, without the Episode IV A New Hope subtitle. I didn't realize that version of the movie was available anywhere (other than in my movie room, where I have it on a laser disc box set of the original releases of all of the OT).
AliasMan02
AG
So, Hondo is at the top of everyone's wish list for a live action appearance, right?

Any fancasting for who should play him?
First Page Last Page
Page 1181 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.