Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,611,702 Views | 45383 Replies | Last: 30 min ago by oragator
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DubFalls said:

The Porkchop Express said:

DubFalls said:

I think it's worse that a weak story though. It is a story that is written and directed by people who don't really care about Star Wars.

Have you ever heard JJ Abrams talk about his lifelong love affair with Star Wars? Check him out on Smartless some time or on the directors commentary of TFA. Not liking the movies are OK, but it's really difficult to think he doesn't care about the IP.

He managed to screw up Star Trek in a similar way
Star Trek (2009) is a really good movie. All three Chris Pine editions are fun.
cbr
AG
double aught said:

DubFalls said:

The prequels suffered from bad dialogue, acting, and focus on bureaucracy. The general ideas for the plot weren't terrible though.
Surely it's been said before, but it's funny how the two trilogies are almost exact opposites:

Bad acting, dialogue, effects, but good overall story

vs

Good acting, dialogue, effects with a an incredibly, insultingly weak story.
Fify
maroon barchetta
double aught said:

DubFalls said:

DubFalls said:

I think it's worse that a weak story though. It is a story that is written and directed by people who don't really care about Star Wars.

Have you ever heard JJ Abrams talk about his lifelong love affair with Star Wars? Check him out on Smartless some time or on the directors commentary of TFA. Not liking the movies are OK, but it's really difficult to think he doesn't care about the IP.

Agreed. And I really enjoyed Into Darkness. The hate the Trekkies and fanboys had for that movie was not something I understood at all. Cumberbatch was great. I liked that they kept some elements from Wrath of Khan while changing it up enough to be fresh.

Great movie. And Alice Eve should have been brought back for the third movie.
canadiaggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

double aught said:

DubFalls said:

DubFalls said:

Great movie. And Alice Eve should have been brought back for the third movie.

For sure.

ABATTBQ11
AG
double aught said:

DubFalls said:

DubFalls said:

I thought the first two were really good, but the third was very meh. They all could have used a few dozen fewer lens flares though.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

If Lucas had hired Tarantino to do a script polish, the prequels would be perfect.
I didn't think they had F-bombs in a galaxy far, far away.
YouBet
AG
The first Chris Pine Star Trek (2009) is arguably the best Star Trek film ever made.

Come at me.
double aught
AG
It has an all time great prologue.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Oh no, Trekkies!

maroon barchetta
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

If Lucas had hired Tarantino to do a script polish, the prequels would be perfect.

What does this look like, a dead Romulan delivery service?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Trek 09 was great, and 3 was super fun. I make no apologies for having a blast with that one.

Into Darkness was aight.
jokershady
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

if it wasn't for the mouse interring we WOULD have by now in Andor
redline248
AG
jokershady said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I, personally, am glad they stopped it.
Decay
AG
redline248 said:

jokershady said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I, personally, am glad they stopped it.

Yeah, it just doesn't really work for me. Like you're saying people got diced up by lightsabers, planets exploded, their ships get shot down, and they could have dropped the F bomb but never did? I know it'd be basically impossible not to swear every flavor of cuss words when Vader was coming down that hallway or boarding your ship.
C@LAg
https://www.cultureslate.com/news/e-chu-ta-a-guide-to-star-wars-swear-words
maroon barchetta
They used curse words.

Remember when young Anakin called Sebulba a "sleemo".

It's the only curse word in their vocabulary.
Decay
AG
That's a real nerf herder thing to say
maroon barchetta
Can it, laser brain
Flashdiaz
AG
Please take this in the most sincere way….

Echuta
maroon barchetta
How rude
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AliasMan02
AG
Rewatching Rebels, and man... the Ghost crew had a HUGE body count.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Pudu!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Really cool stuff from Yoda #4 comic book featuring the evolution of his relationship with Dooku. Note Sidious lurking in the background of the fourth panel.

Life is better with a beagle
TCTTS
AG
Star Wars Celebration is April 7-10 and I've seen multiple rumors now saying that we'll not only get the official announcement of the next theatrical movie (rumored to be whatever Damon Lindelof is cooking up, for December 2025), but the first trailer for Ahsoka as well.
AliasMan02
AG
Rebels is sooooo good, man. Loving my rewatch.
The Porkchop Express
AG
AliasMan02 said:

From that first episode you know how much Filoni loves the lore and history of SW. From the moment you see that Zev is inspired by the early McQuarrie artwork of Chewie and the use of the Imperial prison transport that was never in the movies, but was one of my first toys.

Kanan's reveal of being a Jedi in the first episode is one of my favorite SW moments ever.
AliasMan02
AG

AliasMan02 said:

From that first episode you know how much Filoni loves the lore and history of SW. From the moment you see that Zev is inspired by the early McQuarrie artwork of Chewie

It's cooler than that, even. While it's true he was inspired by old McQuarrie artwork, the Lasat, their culture, the world of Lasan, etc. we're all pulled from the West End Games (D6) Star Wars RPG. It was WEG who adapted the McQuarrie art, and Filoni pulled it from there.

Filoni LOVES the old RPG material (so did Lucas) and uses it all the time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Star Wars Celebration 2023 art. Wowzers. Was hoping to finally go to one in 2024 for my 50th birthday but they aren't having another one until 2025. Hope it's back in the States!

gougler08
AG
Man that's awesome
GreasenUSA
AG
Just finished watching NumeralJoker's recut of Book of Boba Fett.

He re-edited the chase scene, as well as some other minor details, layered on some remixes of the themes, and I think it worked nicely. It's about 20 minutes shorter, and ends up being a 5 hour movie.

I still don't care about Boba Fett's motivations for being a mafia boss, nor the Mos Vespa spin move, but the flash-bacta's flowed well, and once Mando shows up, we really have a lot of Star Wars greatness through the end of the show.

https://www.reddit.com/user/NumeralJoker/comments/sqasfd/the_book_of_boba_fett_the_hardcover_edition_ive/

I feel well-reminded for Mando S3 now.
maroon barchetta
Flash-bacta
gougler08
AG
I do like how on Disney+ they have the "catch up before Mando releases" and have the 3 book of Boba Fett episodes. I bet there's quite a few people wondering wtf do those matter?
AliasMan02
AG
gougler08 said:

I do like how on Disney+ they have the "catch up before Mando releases" and have the 3 book of Boba Fett episodes. I bet there's quite a few people wondering wtf do those matter?

I was thinking about this the other day and they should just title the limited series

The Mandalorian: The Book of Boba Fett

That would have saved a lot of grief, I think.
YouBet
AG
I've held off watching the final three boba fett episodes once I read on here it's really Mandalorian 2.5. My wife will want to see that even though she bailed on that show.

We finally started Andor and it's badass.
First Page Last Page
Page 1177 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.