Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,607,492 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll say straight up that this would bug the hell out of me. It's literally his only mission in life after the prequels to protect Luke, so that would destroy canon far worse than anything else for me.

I honestly don't recall if he said he'd "protect" the child, I was only thinking he would watch over him.

Day to day, he's not on him 24-7 for sure, I don't think.
Ulrich
redline248 said:

Quote:

Who tf is Ashoka
Taking your post at face value, I have to ask if you've at least watched Mandalorian and Boba Fett? She's in a few episodes of those.

Beyond that, the majority of her story comes from the Clone Wars animated movie/series. Was Anakin's padawan, and became one of the most popular characters in Star Wars.

When they trashed Legends I kind of gave up. I had a huge personal investment in all that old material, as flawed as much of it was. Still have a vivid memory of the first time I borrowed a Star Wars book on the way to Scout camp (the first book in the X-Wing series). Eventually I'll do a trial of Disney plus and catch up on all the tv shows.
Ulrich
YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

It's that time of night.

Who tf is Ashoka. I've never consumed any media that this character is in. You guys talk about her all the time, but everything I know is from the movies and Legends, so the idea of throwing her into the main plot line like she's on par with Luke or Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon or Jocasta Nu sounds like crazy town. I am aware that there is a counter argument to this and you are welcome to make it.

Second, the sequel trilogy after TFA is not canon in my head, so using it to make character arguments causes complete cognitive dissonance. You might as well quote the fanfic you wrote at age 11.

Third, TLJ still sucks.
Go watch Clone Wars and Rebels which while animated are arguably the best things in Star Wars outside of the OT and R1.

She really is a great character.

This is a persuasive argument. I need to try to get into the new stuff. I think i mix her up with Asajj Ventress a little, but only because their names are similar and I know nothing about Ashoka.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, hold the phone. You haven't watched The Mandalorian?

Dude...
If you're an OT guy, I'd start there.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Always cool to see kids or teens watching SW for the first time.

Maybe this is me officially being old and out of touch but I will never understand how there's a market for this stuff. Watch a new hope on a tiny screen as some influencer and his kid watch Star Wars.

Maybe I'm the same as the folks who said Elvis was sewer trash
Totally agree. Watching other people watch shows is simply dumb and means you have no life if you actually make time for that.

It does help if your tv is level though which might be throwing off your experience.

The height of irony is saying this as you "make time" to post on an internet message board, an act that is objectively just as "dumb" and "means you have no life" to the 99% of people on this planet who don't waste their time arguing with nerds online. Have some self awareness, and maybe don't be the pot calling the kettle black.

Also, sometimes it's fun to watch people experience joy as they watch something for the first time. What kind of soulless curmudgeon sh*ts on that?
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

YouBet said:

Ulrich said:

It's that time of night.

Who tf is Ashoka. I've never consumed any media that this character is in. You guys talk about her all the time, but everything I know is from the movies and Legends, so the idea of throwing her into the main plot line like she's on par with Luke or Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon or Jocasta Nu sounds like crazy town. I am aware that there is a counter argument to this and you are welcome to make it.

Second, the sequel trilogy after TFA is not canon in my head, so using it to make character arguments causes complete cognitive dissonance. You might as well quote the fanfic you wrote at age 11.

Third, TLJ still sucks.
Go watch Clone Wars and Rebels which while animated are arguably the best things in Star Wars outside of the OT and R1.

She really is a great character.

This is a persuasive argument. I need to try to get into the new stuff. I think i mix her up with Asajj Ventress a little, but only because their names are similar and I know nothing about Ashoka.
The interesting thing here is that as big of a Star Wars fan that I am I've read very little of what is now Legends. I read the very early stuff that most on here probably haven't heard of: Adventures of Han Solo, Splinter in Mind's Eye, Lando stories...that stuff was objectively crap so I never read any stuff beyond that because it was so bad.

So, we are coming from two very different places. However, Clone Wars and Rebels are both really good. Power through S1 episodes 1-5 or so and it pays off.
Ulrich
I had joy once. It was terrible.
[Grumpy cat]
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe this is me officially being old and out of touch but I will never understand how there's a market for this stuff. Watch a new hope on a tiny screen as some influencer and his kid watch Star Wars.

Totally agree. Watching other people watch shows is simply dumb and means you have no life if you actually make time for that.

It does help if your tv is level though which might be throwing off your experience.

The height of irony is saying this as you "make time" to post on an internet message board, an act that is objectively just as "dumb" and "means you have no life" to the 99% of people on this planet who don't waste their time arguing with nerds online. Have some self awareness, and maybe don't be the pot calling the kettle black.

Also, sometimes it's fun to watch people experience joy as they watch something for the first time. What kind of soulless curmudgeon sh*ts on that?
Your mom!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The reason I dig reactions:

I have some movies I love, to the point where I watched them every single week on VHS growing up.

So, at some point it's more fun to watch someone experience it for the very first time than just watching it for the 50th time.

So I watch a lot of SW, LOTR, BTTF, and other reactions.
Ulrich
Splinter was awful. I still have a lot of nostalgia sympathy for Adventures of Han Solo… thinking of the Brian Daly book with three novellas, not the trilogy of novels. Mindharp of Whomever was less inspiring.

Shatterpoint, Traitor, The Unifying Force, X-Wing, anything byTim Zahn, and a few others are still fun reads though.
redline248
AG
Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Who tf is Ashoka
Taking your post at face value, I have to ask if you've at least watched Mandalorian and Boba Fett? She's in a few episodes of those.

Beyond that, the majority of her story comes from the Clone Wars animated movie/series. Was Anakin's padawan, and became one of the most popular characters in Star Wars.

When they trashed Legends I kind of gave up. I had a huge personal investment in all that old material, as flawed as much of it was. Still have a vivid memory of the first time I borrowed a Star Wars book on the way to Scout camp (the first book in the X-Wing series). Eventually I'll do a trial of Disney plus and catch up on all the tv shows.
I understand your point, but the Clone Wars (and Ahsoka) were around for like 7 years before legends was trashed.
Ulrich
redline248 said:

Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Quote:

Who tf is Ashoka

I understand your point, but the Clone Wars (and Ahsoka) were around for like 7 years before legends was trashed.

Respect my arbitrary fandom boundaries.
redline248
AG
Lol, Roger that
Belton Ag
AG
YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My kids watch videos of people playing video games. And they like it. I'm old I guess but that has to be the worst programming I can imagine.
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

Splinter was awful. I still have a lot of nostalgia sympathy for Adventures of Han Solo… thinking of the Brian Daly book with three novellas, not the trilogy of novels. Mindharp of Whomever was less inspiring.

Shatterpoint, Traitor, The Unifying Force, X-Wing, anything byTim Zahn, and a few others are still fun reads though.
Correction: I've read Zahn's Heir to the Empire trilogy somewhat recently for the first time. It was ok to good. I thought it started weak and progressively got better although I did not like Luke character's in it.

However it did give us Thrawn and Talon Karde who are two of the best characters in Star Wars. At least the first one was so good they made an exception for him to pull him out of Legends and make him canon.
YouBet
AG
Belton Ag said:

YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My kids watch videos of people playing video games. And they like it. I'm old I guess but that has to be the worst programming I can imagine.
My nephews do this and I make fun of them for it.

And I play video games as a dude pushing 50.
Ulrich
redline248 said:

Lol, Roger that

I don't think I had heard of the cartoons until a couple years ago, or maybe I did but assumed they were some sort of knockoff fan art.
Ulrich
YouBet said:

Belton Ag said:

YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's the next iteration of waiting for your turn on the SNES controller.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sigh.

I recently got into a YouTuber playing through all the Zeldas...
redline248
AG
Ulrich said:

redline248 said:

Lol, Roger that

I don't think I had heard of the cartoons until a couple years ago, or maybe I did but assumed they were some sort of knockoff fan art.
to be fair, the early seasons of Clone Wars (and the movie) have a lot of hokey stuff. Somewhere in season 3 it finds its groove and puts out some damn good stories.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

Belton Ag said:

YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll give you this. I absolutely cannot, under any circumstances, watch other people play video games.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sigh.

I recently got into a YouTuber playing through all the Zeldas...
I recently learned that your user name is tied to F&F so we are just in different planes of life.

Mine is cooler btw.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
dave94
AG
Holy frack we need new content now!
tk for tu juan
YouBet said:

Mine is cooler btw.

That is debatable since you post on this forum with the rest of us no life losers that watch YouTube reaction channels
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I probably will watch it before Ahsoka comes out at some point.

My current plan is to watch all the major Obi-Wan / Satine / Mandalore arcs of Clone Wars in preparation for Obi-Wan, and I'll probably do the same with Rebels next year before Ahsoka.

Admittedly, I have very little interest or patience for the filler, so I'm just gonna do the essential arcs.

Please read this aloud in comic book guys voice. If you guys need me, I'll be at galaxys edge sunday.
Life is better with a beagle
Saxsoon
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My current plan is to watch all the major Obi-Wan / Satine / Mandalore arcs of Clone Wars in preparation for Obi-Wan, and I'll probably do the same with Rebels next year before Ahsoka.

Admittedly, I have very little interest or patience for the filler, so I'm just gonna do the essential arcs.

Please read this aloud in comic book guys voice. If you guys need me, I'll be at galaxys edge sunday.
Jealous, still about a month out for me.

But I did get passes to Guardians of the Galaxy Galactic Rewind previews.
jokershady
AG
YouBet said:

BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

heeeey oooooo pump the breaks

What's amazing (and at times terrible) is with the technology we have we've got so many different forms of entertainment now that we never knew we could've wanted. All these reaction videos are just another version of a genre. Sit-coms, sketch comedy shows, late night talk shows, cop/crime dramas, reality TV, fantasy, comic book, blah blah blah it's endless.

I'm not going to say every reaction video is good....and hell there's some that you can safely assume are staged.

But as soon as you add a medium that you love or you're passionate about, and seeing someone experience the same joy and passion you felt upon your first viewing....I challenge you to not have empathy and feel that same love and joy all over again.

These have been posted before but just because it is fun as hell, here:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Music is another one. Seeing people have a genuine emotional reaction to music they've never heard that I love (granted I find some of these a little harder to believe) and getting to see their love for that same music just brings me nostalgic joy all over again.

Video games I feel are honestly harder....the good ones (and I'll watch those at times) almost need to become stand up comics reacting on the spot to what they're watching/playing.

It's the main reason why now that I'm going through the entire MCU for the first time that I decided to post my breakdown of phase 1 and while I'll do the same through phase 4. I know there's a lot of people that love those films and with having that strong attachment, getting the opportunity to simply read about someone experiencing that same joy (and knowing what's to come) can bring back all those cherished feelings and emotions. But I ain't making videos....maybe not.....

So as a whole I love 'em. I watch very few of them, but I appreciate people who genuinely record their reactions to things they're passionate about cause it does allow people to re-live those same emotions all over again.

Ok short essay over....here's an article from 7 days ago about bad batch 2 and apparently there will be a panel specifically for this show at celebration this year! YES!

https://thedirect.com/article/star-wars-bad-batch-season-2-updates-when
The Porkchop Express
AG
Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've just accepted the fact that my paychecks should go straight from my employer to the mouse. This is our 7th disney property trip in 5 years.
redline248
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've just accepted the fact that my paychecks should go straight from my employer to the mouse. This is our 7th disney property trip in 5 years.
They have their hooks in you real good. I thought we were bad. I think I've been there every 2 years since 2010
redline248
AG
My son has a new favorite toy
jokershady
AG
us as a family have only been once and that was in 2017. we'd like to try and go again next year and experience all the new star wars stuff (except the hotel)
maroon barchetta
I've never been.
BenFiasco14
AG
dave94 said:

Holy frack we need new content now!

Lego Star wars the Skywalker saga is scratching the itch ahead of the Obi Wan series
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

They have their hooks in you real good. I thought we were bad. I think I've been there every 2 years since 2010

Happy wife... etc
First Page Last Page
Page 1106 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.