Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,607,592 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That doesn't make sense in the greater timeline. She isn't aware that Vader is anakin until luke is at least an early teen.
Life is better with a beagle
YouBet
AG
I'm on board with Ahsoka as a lynchpin for future development. One of the best characters they have and way better than Rey. Also really like Hera so hope to see more of her.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So? She doesn't have to know who Vader is, just that Luke was born before Padme and Anakied died.
BenFiasco14
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Always cool to see kids or teens watching SW for the first time.

Maybe this is me officially being old and out of touch but I will never understand how there's a market for this stuff. Watch a new hope on a tiny screen as some influencer and his kid watch Star Wars.

Maybe I'm the same as the folks who said Elvis was sewer trash
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My tv is not small.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So? She doesn't have to know who Vader is, just that Luke was born before Padme and Anakied died.

Meh. She intentionally walks away from the hypocrisy of the jedi order. Babysitting while old Obi-Wan goes off on some damn idealistic crusade isn't her style. I reject your booking.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Luke considering murdering his nephew in cold blood wasn't exactly his style either.
The Porkchop Express
AG
For 1 second
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I propose to you that that 1 second was more out of character than it would be for Ahsoka to want to help take care of the son of her old master.
redline248
AG
I propose Ahsoka had no idea who Luke was until after the 1st Death Star exploded
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I propose to you that that 1 second was more out of character than it would be for Ahsoka to want to help take care of the son of her old master.
I'd propose that since you haven't watched Rebels you are in no position to say what Ahsoka would or wouldn't do.

She is somewhere seemingly unreachable for most of the time frame you are trying to put her into the Obi-Wan story.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Odd, I'd have thought you of all people would love to see Ahsoka pop up.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, I've watched most of Ahsoka's stuff in Rebels, btw.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Odd, I'd have thought you of all people would love to see Ahsoka pop up.
Not at the expense of disrupting established canon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rebels starts at least a few years after Obi-Wan, right? How would it contradict anything?

Last we saw her she escaped Order 66 with no clear path before her. And we know she was involved with Bail and the rebellion.

Plus let's not pretend Lucasfilm hasn't had to bend over backwards at times to have certain things make sense in the canon. Hell they're breaking canon by having Obi-Wan leave Tatooine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess my thinking is, who does Obi-Wan know that he'd trust enough to watch over Luke? Something of such importance had better be taken care of by someone we know and not some random new character.
Ulrich
It's that time of night.

Who tf is Ashoka. I've never consumed any media that this character is in. You guys talk about her all the time, but everything I know is from the movies and Legends, so the idea of throwing her into the main plot line like she's on par with Luke or Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon or Jocasta Nu sounds like crazy town. I am aware that there is a counter argument to this and you are welcome to make it.

Second, the sequel trilogy after TFA is not canon in my head, so using it to make character arguments causes complete cognitive dissonance. You might as well quote the fanfic you wrote at age 11.

Third, TLJ still sucks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jocasta Nu.

Good troll. Also, watcha drinking?
dave94
AG
I don't think the Obi Wan series will mean he needs anyone to watch over Luke when he goes on whatever adventures happen. Nobody knows he exists.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll say straight up that this would bug the hell out of me. It's literally his only mission in life after the prequels to protect Luke, so that would destroy canon far worse than anything else for me.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rebels starts at least a few years after Obi-Wan, right? How would it contradict anything?

Last we saw her she escaped Order 66 with no clear path before her. And we know she was involved with Bail and the rebellion.

Plus let's not pretend Lucasfilm hasn't had to bend over backwards at times to have certain things make sense in the canon. Hell they're breaking canon by having Obi-Wan leave Tatooine.
She has a whole book that is canon, although I think some details of it are now slightly retconned by the final clone wars season. In that book she is hiding from the empire on a random planet until the very end when she goes to find Bail. It is 99% unlikely she is in Obi-Wan.
TCTTS
AG
When you find out WHY Obi-Wan leaves Tatooine, it'll make a lot more sense. That, and it's not like he watches over Luke 24/7 via nanny cam or binoculars or whatever. I've always just assumed he checks in on him from afar, every few days or so. So if he needs to go off-planet for, say, three days or week or whatever, fine. No big deal. I just think you're putting WAY too much emphasis on it, as if Obi-Wan is meant to be Luke's personal, live-in bodyguard or something.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it recent? Cause I know everything before 2015 or so was made Legends.

I really don't keep up with the books much admittedly.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Who tf is Ashoka
Taking your post at face value, I have to ask if you've at least watched Mandalorian and Boba Fett? She's in a few episodes of those.

Beyond that, the majority of her story comes from the Clone Wars animated movie/series. Was Anakin's padawan, and became one of the most popular characters in Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I take it you're referring to leaks. Can we just keep them out of the discussion? Even if vague I'd prefer not bringing them in.
TCTTS
AG
Ok, sure, but I was being ridiculously vague, and the majority of my post was just me riffing, which had nothing to do with the first sentence.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is it recent? Cause I know everything before 2015 or so was made Legends.

I really don't keep up with the books much admittedly.
published 2016.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently it takes place a year after Order 66, so still quite a while before Obi-Wan.
redline248
AG
I suppose anything is possible, but she becomes fully involved with the rebellion afterward. Also, I wouldn't assume Bail would tell her about Obi-Wan, because that leads to Luke, which might lead to Leia, which he really wouldn't want to do. In my opinion.

Also, I had a nice reply to another of your posts about how watching rebels would answer some of your questions, but TexAgs took a crap on me when I hit "post." I might try it again
YouBet
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Always cool to see kids or teens watching SW for the first time.

Maybe this is me officially being old and out of touch but I will never understand how there's a market for this stuff. Watch a new hope on a tiny screen as some influencer and his kid watch Star Wars.

Maybe I'm the same as the folks who said Elvis was sewer trash
Totally agree. Watching other people watch shows is simply dumb and means you have no life if you actually make time for that.

It does help if your tv is level though which might be throwing off your experience.
YouBet
AG
Ulrich said:

It's that time of night.

Who tf is Ashoka. I've never consumed any media that this character is in. You guys talk about her all the time, but everything I know is from the movies and Legends, so the idea of throwing her into the main plot line like she's on par with Luke or Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon or Jocasta Nu sounds like crazy town. I am aware that there is a counter argument to this and you are welcome to make it.

Second, the sequel trilogy after TFA is not canon in my head, so using it to make character arguments causes complete cognitive dissonance. You might as well quote the fanfic you wrote at age 11.

Third, TLJ still sucks.
Go watch Clone Wars and Rebels which while animated are arguably the best things in Star Wars outside of the OT and R1.

She really is a great character.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I probably will watch it before Ahsoka comes out at some point.

My current plan is to watch all the major Obi-Wan / Satine / Mandalore arcs of Clone Wars in preparation for Obi-Wan, and I'll probably do the same with Rebels next year before Ahsoka.

Admittedly, I have very little interest or patience for the filler, so I'm just gonna do the essential arcs.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll say straight up that this would bug the hell out of me. It's literally his only mission in life after the prequels to protect Luke, so that would destroy canon far worse than anything else for me.
If only you had watched Rebels...

It took Maul years to figure out where Obi-Wan was, and when he gets there Obi-Wan is waiting for him. One might assume that he'd developed a finely tuned force sense to potential threats toward Luke. Argument could be made that he knew Luke was in danger when he scared off the Tuskens in the original Star Wars. As he tells Han, there is no such thing as luck.

However, I do agree with you about Luke being his sole mission...so there better be a really, really good reason for him to leave Tatooine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Happens that that's one of the ones I did watch.
Ulrich
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Jocasta Nu.

Good troll. Also, watcha drinking?

Tullamore Dew
First Page Last Page
Page 1105 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.