Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,609,569 Views | 45379 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by redline248
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well agree to disagree I suppose.

Quote:

is reverential of the OT

Precisely.
Ulrich
I think Abrams intended to tell the fans that he really wants to make a movie that is true to the soul of what Star Wars originally was, which he mostly did. I don't think he meant to offend Lucas but may not have worried too much if that happened.

The stuff from TROS seemed a little more personal to me, but then I really didn't like TLJ or Rian Johnson so I could be reading too much into it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll admit that the line is subtle enough that 90% of viewers and casual fans wouldn't give it a second thought. But I think for the die hard OT fans who hated the prequels, that line spoke to them instantly. Basically a way to say "we're sorry for the prequels, we are about to fix everything".

It probably wasn't purposely ill intentioned towards Lucas, but it is definitely a swipe at the prequels.

Just look at his two movies. They do the bare minimum as far as acknowledging the existence of the prequels. He tried to blow up Coruscant (but was thankfully stopped by the story team), made zero mention of Anakin, and even had a perfect chance to utilize force ghost Anakin in that scene with Ben in TROS, but once again leaned on the OT and went with a Han Solo "dream". Anakin would have made perfect thematic and story sense there.
The Porkchop Express
AG
But Palpatine has told Kylo Ren that he has been "every voice he's heard in his head" - Vader and Snoke for decades.

A ghost of Anakin a) would make him suspicious and b) would probably also include "who are you?" The third movie was supposed to be Leia's to redeem her son, but unfortunately Carrie Fisher passed. Again, we disagree, but I feel like the re-speaking of the TFA death scene for Han Solo in TROS is some of the most powerful parts of it all.

And Anakin's voice is featured in the end, so definitely didn't forget him.

I hate that you didn't enjoy the sequels after so much great discussion during those years. I hope in time you find new appreciation for them.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I definitely enjoyed TFA and TLJ on release, although I had my issues with them, they didn't ruin the experience. If you go back and look at my reactions they were extremely positive.

Subsequently TROS soured me on the trilogy, but I'll always have the experience of the anticipation/hype in the lead up to those movies on this board, going to Celebration and seeing the trailer for TROS for the first time, etc.

It's unfortunate the ending didn't land for me, but even the night I went to see it, it was a fun experience seeing it with all my SW buddies. That's something I hadn't been able to do since ROTS.

In any case, I'll always be a SW fan and am very excited for what's to come.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

The third movie was supposed to be Leia's to redeem her son, but unfortunately Carrie Fisher passed.
Also, I absolutely love how they handled Carrie/Leia's death, btw. That has never been an issue for me.

When she sacrifices herself for her son, I choked up in the theater. I thought they did as well as they possibly could have under the circumstances.
Ag Since 83
AG
Quote:

But I think for the die hard OT fans who hated the prequels, that line spoke to them instantly. Basically a way to say "we're sorry for the prequels, we are about to fix everything".

It probably wasn't purposely ill intentioned towards Lucas, but it is definitely a swipe at the prequels.

I agree completely. I enjoyed it immensely.

Quote:

He tried to blow up Coruscant (but was thankfully stopped by the story team),

Hard to believe the story team actually stopped the film makers from doing anything frankly.

Quote:

and even had a perfect chance to utilize force ghost Anakin in that scene with Ben in TROS, but once again leaned on the OT and went with a Han Solo "dream". Anakin would have made perfect thematic and story sense there.

I've gotta disagree here. You can argue whether or not his arc was well executed, but throughout the three films it was very clear that Ben's attachment to the light was channeled through his complicated relationship with his parents. With Carrie Fisher unfortunately unavailable I can completely see the value of mirroring the Han scene from Episode 7.
Ulrich
I thought the Han scene from TROS was great. I can probably list 50 things from that movie that were dumb, but it still had redeeming features. TFA is still head and shoulders my favorite of the three though.
hunter2012
AG
PatAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

He's definitely into murders and executions
Let's see Jedi Master Paul Allen's lightsaber...
Quote:

Look at that subtle light blue coloring, the tasteful thickness of the blade. Oh my god, it even has a curved hilt.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I realize we have disagreed a lot and you probably think I am one ****ty person.
Meant to reply to this. I don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have to return some holocrons.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can we keep leaks off this thread? Would rather keep spoiler discussion in their own show threads.
JCRiley09
AG
Maybe a "Star Wars Leaks" thread. Or "Obi Wan Leaks" and "Mando Leaks"

Save y'all the hassle of spoiler tags and save me the paper thin self control to always click those black bars
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Personally I'd agree with that, but I don't want to be accused of constantly playing thread police on every thread.
JCRiley09
AG
It's a Star Wars thread, so of course we will have tired, dead horse conversations, but why do people actively look for the story ahead of time? Obviously a personal preference, but let the show/movie tell the story, not some rumor driven, click hungry website
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lack of patience I suppose?

To me it's like knowing you're about to have dinner at a nice restaurant, and then having McDonald's right before.

I've heard some posters here say it adds to discussion, but to me it does the exact opposite because it limits all the possibilities.

Imagine knowing ahead of time Luke would appear in Mando S2? It would still be great but the impact is almost completely taken out when there's no element of surprise.

I will say at least with Obi-Wan, there will be minimal room for "surprise" since we know where all our major characters end up, but still. Will never look at leaks.
The Porkchop Express
AG
JCRiley09 said:

It's a Star Wars thread, so of course we will have tired, dead horse conversations, but why do people actively look for the story ahead of time? Obviously a personal preference, but let the show/movie tell the story, not some rumor driven, click hungry website
Uh, where do you think you are right now?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Either way, we've always spun off into specific threads for each movie or show when it comes to spoiler discussion.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Can we keep leaks off this thread? Would rather keep spoiler discussion in their own show threads.
Granted, I simply don't click on them but it would make more sense to post them on their threads from an efficiency standpoint for folks that want to know ahead of time.

I don't care too much in the grand scheme of things though as long as they are tagged.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I deleted the post and moved it to a new spoiler thread. If you click that thread, you're going to get spoiled.

After almost dying in a car wreck in 2016, I devour the Internet for Star Wars news every damn day because I want to know everything about everything in case Jeff Probst snuffs my torch out earlier than I was expecting. Personal preference.
PatAg
AG
Some jerk always just replies without using spoilers anyways, probably best to keep it on its own to avoid that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently Andor may be coming as soon as August as per rumors.

Which would make sense assuming Mando S3 is set for December.
YouBet
AG
Is there an updated timeline image for the OP?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That reminds me, I haven't updated in a while. Gotta make some updates.

YouBet
AG
Awesome. Thank you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For some reason I find it interesting how in the logos, each trilogy emphasized a different thing.

PT: The episode number
OT: The title
ST: Star Wars
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Confirmed" upcoming series as of today:

Andor - Fall 2022
Ahsoka - TBA
The Acolyte - TBA
A Droid Story - TBA
Lando - TBA
Unnamed High Republic Show - TBA (Teen-oriented)

Granted, it's kind of impossible to know which of these will actually come to fruition, considering what's been happening with the movies. I don't even bother tracking those since so many of those have been DOA after announcements. (Rian Johnson trilogy, D&D trilogy, Rogue Squadron, etc.)

From what I can tell though, the only projects you can pretty much count on right now:

Obi-Wan - May 25
Andor - August (Rumored)
Mando S3 - December

A Droid Story
Ahsoka - Can't find any details but my assumption is this is far along in pre-production
Andor S2 - Rumor is they want to do a season every August for the foreseeable future
TCTTS
AG
Rangers of the New Republic is dead, due to what's her face going off the deep end. And I would tentatively slot The Acolyte into 2023 as well, as that's currently casting.
YouBet
AG
How and why would there would be an ongoing series with Andor?? That seems odd.
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Rangers of the New Republic is dead, due to what's her face going off the deep end. And I would tentatively slot The Acolyte into 2023 as well, as that's currently casting.
Is that what happened?
YouBet
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TCTTS said:

Is that what happened?
No, but I'm trying to refrain.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't remember if that was confirmed or not. Updated.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet said:

How and why would there would be an ongoing series with Andor?? That seems odd.
From what I've seen online:

Lucasfilm wants an "anchor" show for their television universe and they went with Andor.

It makes sense given the time period (every major character is alive at this time), it's the height of the empire / early days of the rebellion, and they have a great showrunner in Tony Gilroy.

Add in the fact that Lucas is supposedly fairly involved in this one, at least more so than anything else since the Disney purchase, and it looks like this will be the big one going forward.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would bet on a young Leia being a major part of the show, maybe not in S1 but maybe from S2 onwards, with the rebellion really starting to form. I'd even bet on Bail Organa. (Mon Mothma is already confirmed.)

I bet Obi-Wan will serve as an introduction of sorts, and Andor will continue that story of the rebellion.
First Page Last Page
Page 1097 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.