Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,610,999 Views | 45382 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by YouBet
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The order of the movies released…..

So 4-6

Then 1-3

Then however the order of 7-9/RO/Solo

Any other order ruins the reveals and story connections that made it memorable for us
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I was leaning that way, but great point on the order of the reveals.

My kids will respond something like "they made another trilogy?" if ever asked about 7-9.
TCTTS
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

What's the best order to show the movies to your kids?

Episode I->VI

or

Episode IV->VI->I->III

In order to preserve the Vader/father surprise, start with...

- Episode 4 - A New Hope
- Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back

Then, hit pause on the original trilogy and "flashback" to the prequels...

- Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
- Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
- Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith

... before finishing off the first six movies with the ultimate finale...

- Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi

Then, over the next couple of years, fill in the gap between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy...

- Disney+ Series: Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Solo
- Disney+ Series: Andor - Season 1
- Disney+ Series: Andor - Season 2
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

... while also filling in the gap between the original trilogy and the sequel trilogy...

- The Mandalorian - Season 1
- The Mandalorian - Season 2
- The Book of Boba Fett
- The Mandalorian - Season 3
- Ashoka

... and whatever else Disney adds to that particular era.

Then, if you're a glutton for punishment, you can finish it all with...

- Episode 7 - The Force Awakens
- Episode 8 - The Last Jedi
- Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker
YouBet
AG
If you are going that far, and since we are talking about kids, The Clone Wars and Rebels are a must watch. They are canon and every bit as good as anything else on that list.

The final arc of Clone Wars is arguably a top 3 Star Wars event.
Saxsoon
AG
Kids, include rebels and clone wars
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

In order to preserve the Vader/father surprise, start with...

- Episode 4 - A New Hope
- Episode 5 - The Empire Strikes Back

Then, hit pause on the original trilogy and "flashback" to the prequels...

- Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace
- Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones
- Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith

... before finishing off the first six movies with the ultimate finale...

- Episode 6 - Return of the Jedi
The only thing I'd actually change would be to watch Rogue One first.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think starting with a spinoff is not the best route, imo.

Plus they'll have more appreciation for it when they already know about Vader, the Death Star, and Leia.
TCTTS
AG
Ending that chunk with Rogue One perfectly completes the loop, though. Timeline wise, you end literally minutes before the journey you began with A New Hope.
redline248
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

What's the best order to show the movies to your kids?

Episode I->VI

or

Episode IV->VI->I->III
Obviously subjective, but I showed mine 4-6 before anything else. I still haven't let my almost-7-year-old son watch Ep 2 or 3 yet. I think he's getting pretty close to being able to handle Ep 2, but there is a decapitation. Same with Ep 3, plus that whole Anakin getting chopped and burned.
jokershady
AG
Pretty sure I watched terminator 2 before I was 10. They'll be fine.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Me, watching my kid watch ANH tonight:

The Porkchop Express
AG
Why would you have a kid watch 4 and 5, then punish them with 1 and 2? You show 4-6 first to maximize their love of the movies, then show them the others to fill in the saga.
The Porkchop Express
AG
IGN look at the new Lego game. Almost 400 playable characters.

Chipotlemonger
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Why would you have a kid watch 4 and 5, then punish them with 1 and 2? You show 4-6 first to maximize their love of the movies, then show them the others to fill in the saga.

I think I agree with this. ROTJ drives it home and we are talking about showing Star Wars to kids here, not adults.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's a lot of things to say for the 4,5,1,2,3,6 order.

For one thing, you finish the main saga on a good note, which is better for children. Also they'll be even more invested in Vader when he turns back to the light and kills Palpatine.
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

From what I've heard, and based on kids I know, a lot of them seem to like the PT more than the OT, if not like them equally. The prequels movie faster, are "funnier," and don't feel nearly as old.

This is anecdotal for sure, but my sister tried showing A New Hope to my eight-year-old nephews and they quit after 20 minutes. They just had no interest in something that old. I might try again in a couple years…
JCRiley09
AG
There's a pretty popular children's book called "Vader and son" that we got so there like Vader relationship is already spoiled for my 3 year old. The flip side of that is the that he already really enjoys Star Wars, but still in <15 minute bursts for now
redline248
AG
I think with my son, I just ended up watching the OT multiple times with him. If he got up and wandered off to play, I left it on. I mean, it's not like he was gonna leave the house, so he'd come back and watch at various points. Jedi was the one that finally kept him for the whole time.

Kids get bored with everything, but they are basically a caprice audience.
dave94
AG
I've never thought that breaking up the OT after Empire for eps 1-3 was a good idea. The redemption of Vader is great in Jedi on its own, without needing to see the story of Anakin as a boy and the clone wars, his turn, etc.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
YouBet said:

If you are going that far, and since we are talking about kids, The Clone Wars and Rebels are a must watch. They are canon and every bit as good as anything else on that list.

I agree 100%. That final CW arc was such a shock to watch unfold - just how complex and moving it ended up being. I still am moved when I hear the score to the final scenes.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
dave94 said:

I've never thought that breaking up the OT after Empire for eps 1-3 was a good idea. The redemption of Vader is great in Jedi on its own, without needing to see the story of Anakin as a boy and the clone wars, his turn, etc.

Interesting order to consider, and not without its merits. I'll probably stick to the whole OT first, just to keep it as simple as possible for him. But this a good reason in favor of keeping the OT together. There will be plenty of opportunities to end on positive notes as you have so much choice out there to watch these days.
The Porkchop Express
AG
dave94 said:

Plus you're forcing them to accept Vader was once a 9 year old who couldn't act, and then a 20 year old who had to say some of the worst dialogue. Going from the end of empire to nute gun ray and rune haako talk trade negotiations is like taking Natalie Portman home from the club and waking up next to Kathy Griffin.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Ending that chunk with Rogue One perfectly completes the loop, though. Timeline wise, you end literally minutes before the journey you began with A New Hope.
Fair points. I just happen to love the seamlessness of the ending of R1 leading right into the opening of Star Wars.
jokershady
AG
Are y'all suggesting a person watching rogue one BEFORE anh???
YouBet
AG
Good mornin' to ya,
If we are going to fully indoctrinate kids into Star Wars, which should be every parent's prime directive, then I like the Skywalker Saga order as listed here. This keeps the focus on the Skywalkers which was Lucas's overarching focus.

Capping off the first 10 of those with ROTJ would really hammer home that finale considering the HOURS of conflict and drama leading up to it. I realize this is a tall order for kids but if you are dedicated to quality Star Wars parenting then this is the way.

You will note I have labeled the content primarily associated with the ST as optional. I do not consider any of that canon. The Sequel Trilogy is the path to the dark side. The Sequel Trilogy leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

• Star Wars: A New Hope
  • Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
  • Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
  • The Clone Wars animated movie
  • The Clone Wars animated series
  • Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars Rebels animated series
  • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  • Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
  • The Mandalorian season 1
  • The Mandalorian season 2
  • The Book of Boba Fett
  • Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Optional
  • Star Wars Resistance season 1
  • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
  • Star Wars Resistance season 2
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

As for my own indoctrination, I am currently engrossed in Rebels and am in S3 of that show. From there, I will go back to Book of Boba Fett and then The Bad Batch. I started both of those but neither really captured me, but I will finish them.

I have never seen Resistance and do not plan to watch it.

edit: **** me sideways for posting a bulleted list from somewhere else. Christ almighty.
sburg2007
All this has me chuckling while I read this… backstory,

My daughter is five and hasn't quite become enamored with all things Star Wars, yet. She knows who grogu is and still calls him baby yoda, recognize Vader, etc. I plan on starting her with clone wars or rebels, but for the time being she is more into "my little pony." Well, she thinks everyone has to have a theme for their birthday so she picked mine as "Star Wars" last week.

She has a friend across the street we play with who is the same age. While playing the other day, I over hear them talking about Star Wars. My daughter says she wants to be "the fighting princess" and tells other kid to be Darth Vader.

Almost immediately, other kids dad stops our conversation and as quickly and seriously as possible looks my wife and me in the eyes and says, "Has she seen the movies? We're going to have to leave if your daughter is going to tell her Vader is lukes father!" Meanwhile, his spaz daughter still can't put her shoes on the right feet and only wears princess dress up clothes: ever.

I couldn't help but laugh as his kid was about to have her childhood ruined over characters she has no clue even exist. Parenting is awesome.

TLDR: Don't ruin Star Wars for 5 year olds or we can't be friends!
redline248
AG
That dad is doing a great job of looking out for his kid! Hilarious
sburg2007
When it comes to pop culture l, 100%. When it comes to rest of life? TBD.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Tom Veitch, who wrote the Dark Empire graphic novels, along with some other great comic books passed away a couple of days ago. A lot of people give him credit for bridging the popularity of Star Wars from the end of the OT to the excitement generated by the Thrawn books and Shadows of the Empire leading up to the special editions and the prequels.

Two of his most prevalent ideas in Dark Empire would ultimately be brought back from Legends into reality with clones of Palpatine as well as Boba Fett surviving the Sarlaac. I bet it was pretty cool for him to see both of those things play out "for real."

cbr
AG
YouBet said:

Ansolutely true. Surprised the hell out of me but it was awesome
YouBet
AG
I think the other thing is Clone Wars has one of the best characters in Star Wars - Ashoka.

Pretty much required background if you are going to watch The Mandalorians and her show as part of this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kinda funny looking back at the first CW movie and the first season or two, people absolutely hated Ahsoka, me included.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kinda funny looking back at the first CW movie and the first season or two, people absolutely hated Ahsoka, me included.
I watched it so much later than others - last year - that I'm not sure I realized she had that hate. I thought the first handful of episodes were a little tough to get through but once it clicked it was great. I frankly don't remember the standalone CW movie. I watched that ages ago.
redline248
AG
It may have been posted here once, but I saw a video about how Filoni deliberately made Ahsoka annoying at first so he could gradually show her growing and maturing as she gains experience. I also couldn't stand her until maybe the 2nd or 3rd season, and she turned into one of my favorite characters.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Any hate for the Ahsoka character at introduction might have been carry-over from hate for Jar Jar and the Ewoks, as she felt like a character put into place for kids. An annoying kid character, perhaps.
First Page Last Page
Page 1089 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.