Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,612,603 Views | 45386 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by YouBet
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
- Anthony Daniels is currently doing motion capture work for the animated Star Wars: A Droid Story movie for Disney+. GAY - droid stories are dumb.

- Mark Hamill is shooting The Fall of the House of Usher limited series from Mike Flanagan for Netflix, of which Hamill was announced as part of the cast last month, and begins shooting next week. Totally in on this.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

So it's something so big that they've been laying down a cover story for weeks!!!
This reminds me of the time that the New Republic were building up and building up and building up their forces to convince Grand Admiral Thrawn they were going to hit Tangrene for that crystal grav trap, but then they really hit Bilbringi instead - except, of course, he was three steps ahead of them and had studied enough Mon Cal and Alderannian art to know it was a ruse and had his own forces at Bilbringi. It might have worked and the whole task force wiped out, except for the timely intervention of some of Talon Kardde's smuggler's alliance, and Rukh, the Noghri bodyguard who turned on Thrawn and assassinated him for the generations-long betrayal of the Noghri people by the Empire.

But... it was so artistically done.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Damn. Pixilated Padme in that second pic is gorgeous.
redline248
AG
That's the glow of a pregnant woman after hearing her man murdered some kids. She's reminiscing about that time on Tatooine
jeffk
AG
Didn't the last season of Clone Wars have a similar scene between Padme and Obi?
YouBet
AG
jeffk said:

Didn't the last season of Clone Wars have a similar scene between Padme and Obi?
Yes, they used that almost exact speech in CW. I read that and immediately thought - that wasn't cut; I've actually heard that exact speech.

Because it's in Clone Wars. The real, legitimate prequel by the way.
Saxsoon
AG
Ok I thought I was going mad because I also remember the scene, just not animated haha

Also Obi Wan and Duchess Satine ****ed
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
AG
Flashdiaz
AG
Looks like baby Yoda to me.
Maveric
AG
He is on Dagobah with Baby Yoda when Mando catches up to them.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cloud.
jeffk
AG
Was there ever a connection made between Yoda and Dagobah? Like was it his homeworld or just a backwater that made for a good hiding place?
maroon barchetta
That is the triangular shape of the Star Destroyer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Per one of the now non-canon Zahn books (I think that's which ones it was) some dark Jedi fled to dagobah and met an untimely end. Luke theorized that Yoga went there to hide because the dark jedis impression on the force countered out yodas presence. Sort of a force camouflage.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
That's what I remember ; that and the abundance of life there helped mask detection. It's why he was setup so close to cave tree (dark force nexus)
YouBet
AG
You are both correct. Just read this in last year. Or two.
jokershady
AG
I'm just gonna take a guess that the picture tomorrow will be something to do with cold/ice
YouBet
AG
jokershady said:

I'm just gonna take a guess that the picture tomorrow will be something to do with cold/ice
If he shows a polar bear on its hind legs then it's on.
bluefire579
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Per one of the now non-canon Zahn books (I think that's which ones it was) some dark Jedi fled to dagobah and met an untimely end. Luke theorized that Yoga went there to hide because the dark jedis impression on the force countered out yodas presence. Sort of a force camouflage.
Right, Luke theorizes about the dark side cave shielding Yoda when he revisits Dagobah in "Heir to the Empire". He finds a ship's beckon call in the swamp which serves to get him to Lando's place in this plot, but then it is explained much more thoroughly in the late 90s "Hand of Thrawn" duology where Talon Kardde tracks down his former smuggler boss/mentor Jorj Cardas. Cardas tells a story of being on a freighter during the Clone Wars that was hijacked by a "Dark Jedi" who kills everyone on board but him for unknown reasons. The Dark Jedi eventually lands on Dagobah trying to escape the forces pursuing him and Yoda is there waiting for him.

They have a fight that lasts most of a day, with Yoda finally killing the Dark Jedi and then using the Force to nurse Cardas back to health, a process that allows Cardas to imbue some Force powers, mostly seeing things before they happen. He goes back home and becomes the most powerful smuggler outside of the Hutts, then the power all leaves him, and he thinks he's dying so he goes back to Dagobah, threatens Yoda with his blaster and his ship's weaponry (thus the beckon call) and Yoda embarasses him and tells him he waste his gift, and sends him off to find some random monks that live beyond the outer rim. The monks teach a different version of the Force use, but one that is rooted in humility. Yoda tells Cardas he can't heal him a second time because he's preparing to train his most important student of all time (Luke).

And yes, I did that all from memory.

AliasMan02
AG
Pretty good example of how off the rails the EU went. There was no oversight or rules given to authors, especially as time went on, so you end up with stuff like "Yoda healed him with the Force so now the guy has powers" which is so inconsistent with the lore.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Those books ranged from instant classics to "I don't believe this author has seen 1 second of any Star Wars movie ever." It was a really frustrating time. Definitely no overall structure, almost like comic books, where you just found a new author who had half an idea "Killer bugs!" "Aliens who are immune to the Force!" "Han Solo's identical cousin!" and let them fire away

Zahn was almost always the best. Even his books that weren't that great of a story were really well written and understood the dynamic of needing the original characters to act like themselves and bring in new characters that were just as real. The sheer amount of fan favorites he created is staggering.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Star...?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alternatively...

maroon barchetta

ChipFTAC01
AG
I'd really like to go back and read the first three Zahn books. That might be my favorite bit of Star Wars outside the OT.
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Was going to say...we are getting a Star Wars / BSG crossover series. F* yes!!!!
YouBet
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I'd really like to go back and read the first three Zahn books. That might be my favorite bit of Star Wars outside the OT.
I read them not long ago for the first time ever. They aren't great but they are good. It's the only Star Wars books I've read aside from the oldest books that came out in the '70s and '80s - Han Solo Adventures, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, etc. Those books were straight trash.

And Zahn introduces two of the best characters in all of Star Wars - Thrawn and Karrde.

I don't understand how Talon Karrde hasn't been pulled out of Legends yet. And his ship's name, while on the nose, is awesome.
Ulrich
What killed me about the old Legends was how many of the authors were flat out contemptuous of the source material. I remember reading one of the authors personal websites and she basically apologized for slumming it by writing in the Star Wars universe. Some of the authors just weren't very good and some were dashing out a pile of crap as fast as possible for an easy paycheck.

But a few of the authors like Zahn, Stackpole, Luceno, and Stover wrote books that ranged from good to at least fun, and that along with the wonder of the universe is what kept me going back.
maroon barchetta
YouBet said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

I read them not long ago for the first time ever. They aren't great but they are good. It's the only Star Wars books I've read aside from the oldest books that came out in the '70s and '80s - Han Solo Adventures, Splinter of the Mind's Eye, etc. Those books were straight trash.

And Zahn introduces two of the best characters in all of Star Wars - Thrawn and Karrde.

I don't understand how Talon Karrde hasn't been pulled out of Legends yet. And his ship's name, while on the nose, is awesome.

Han Solo At Star's End and Splinter of the Mind's Eye were Allsome!

Don't crap on my childhood memories!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Zahn created:

Thrawn
Mara Jade
Pelleaon
the Noghri, specifically Rukh and the ones that save/help Leia
Joruus C'baoth (and his clone)
Mazzic
Gillepsie
Niles Ferrier
Ferrier's "Wraith"
Jorj Cardas
Garm Bel Iblis
The Chiss
Moff Disra

and he named Coruscant

He really captures Luke nicely of the big three - trying to understand how and when to uses his powers without overextending himself or falling to the Dark Side.
First Page Last Page
Page 1079 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.