Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,613,029 Views | 45386 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by YouBet
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lol. I want to believe that was made 30 years ago. It's too awesome, and would be a shame, to be a recent creation.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awesome.

aTmLoKi
AG
C@LAg said:

Star Wars: Trinity
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Awesome.

This would have been such a better introduction to Rey and Jakku. It makes the scavenager story make a lot more sense if the New Republic was basically using it as a junkyard.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. Plus I just love the symbolism of it, mirroring the opening shot of ANH, but with a completely different context.
TCTTS
AG
Man, yeah, that would have been so brilliant, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I get why they ultimately chose to open with an action scene instead (as each of the OT entires essentially opens with an action sequence), but there could have been a way to turn that concept into something action-oriented with Rey.

TFA really did miss so much re-contextualizing/re-orienting/setting the table for the state of the galaxy 30 years later, and opening with the exact same shot from ANH, but with the tables turned, would have spoken volumes in a single shot, right from the jump.

It also still drives me nuts that an element of TFA wasn't about the characters *discovering* the existence/emergence of The First Order as opposed to it already being an accepted/established thing, basically as powerful as the Empire. In the spirit of turning the tables, The First Order should have been in the position the Rebels were in ANH; a small but spirited contingent of underdogs who, by film's end, pull off the impossible by beating some "unbeatable" force in the Republic. Then, we're going into the next movie with more of an "Oh, sh*t" vibe that The First Order is for real and a legit threat.
Keegan99
AG
Truth. And killing General Solo would be just the "oh crap they're legit" moment that would do it.
TCTTS
AG
Great call.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Man, yeah, that would have been so brilliant, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I get why they ultimately chose to open with an action scene instead (as each of the OT entires essentially opens with an action sequence), but there could have been a way to turn that concept into something action-oriented with Rey.

TFA really did miss so much re-contextualizing/re-orienting/setting the table for the state of the galaxy 30 years later, and opening with the exact same shot from ANH, but with the tables turned, would have spoken volumes in a single shot, right from the jump.

It also still drives me nuts that an element of TFA wasn't about the characters *discovering* the existence/emergence of The First Order as opposed to it already being an accepting/established thing, basically as powerful as the Empire. In the spirit of turning the tables, The First Order should have been in the position the Rebels were in ANH; a small but spirited contingent of underdogs who, by film's end, pull off the impossible by beating some "unbeatable" force in the Republic. Then, we're going into the next movie with more of an "Oh, sh*t" vibe that The First Order is for real and a legit threat.
Agreed. That's a cool opening. However, I wonder if they didn't go with it because you are starting a whole new SW trilogy years after ROTJ with a scene showing the New Republic basically cleaning up and junking the remnants of the Empire.

But, wait, now you are telling me there is a new Empire called the First Order that is active in the universe and has essentially taken over from the Empire? Why is the New Republic wasting time junking these Star Destroyers when there is an entirely new Empire running rough shod through the universe? Shouldn't they be dealing with that and not expending resources essentially vacuuming the floors while an intruder is breaking in?

Makes me wonder if this concept led to an entirely different plot originally...
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's a good point. But would have also played right into the idea of having The First Order be this thing the characters themselves don't yet know about/see for the first time in TFA.

Like, imagine if Ben Solo had disappeared as a kid after he attacked Luke/the academy. And Han, Leia, etc have no idea where he went or what happened to him. And then, years later, in TFA, a smaller, scrappier version of The First Order strikes for the first time - no one knows who they are or where they came from - but by the end of TFA, Kylo Ren, the leader of The First Order (under Snoke or whoever), is finally revealed to be Ben.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Yeah, that's a good point. But would have also played right into the idea of having The First Order be this thing the characters themselves don't yet know about/see for the first time in TFA.

Like, imagine if Ben Solo had disappeared as a kid after he attacked Luke/the academy. And Han, Leia, etc have no idea where he went or what happened to him. And then, years later, in TFA, a smaller, scrappier version of The First Order strikes for the first time - no one knows who they are or where they came from - but by the end of TFA, Kylo Ren, the leader of The First Order (under Snoke or whoever), is finally revealed to be Ben.
Well, that would have made a hell of a lot more logical sense for this movie.
cbr
AG
You guys act like any thought at all was put into these new movies.

They literally didnt bother. R1 shows what could be done by people who care.

Tfa was just

'Well, we need a black guy and a girl luke' so we'll copy old sergio leone music, and redo the first movie with some nostalgia payback and call it a paycheck.
The Porkchop Express
AG
PatAg
AG
I think thats doing a disservice to Abrams. Whether you like his movies or not, he clearly cares about the material...maybe too much.
TCTTS
AG
He definitely cares, and I think he legitimately set out to make a respectful Star Wars sequel. It's just that he let his mystery box bullsh*t and his incessant, compulsive need for the plot to go, go, go at an absolutely absurd pace, story/logic/context be damned, all get the best of him.
Quad Dog
AG
The beginning of TFA is so great as it is though. Great way to introduce the new characters. It's great up until they leave Jakku and meat up with Solo. After that is really when they don't know what to do with those characters and that situation, and start dipping into nostalgia.
YouBet
AG
Quad Dog said:

The beginning of TFA is so great as it is though. Great way to introduce the new characters. It's great up until they leave Jakku and meat up with Solo. After that is really when they don't know what to do with those characters and that situation, and start dipping into nostalgia.
I missed that scene!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I like when they met up with Princess Lay Her.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I like when they met up with Princess Lay Her.
I thought Analkin and Packme were the perfect match.
double aught
AG
You nerds are killing me.
redline248
AG
lol
(there was supposed to be a funny meme here, it is posted below)
redline248
AG
GD filter
redline248
AG
now then
SpreadsheetAg
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oldie but goodie
The Porkchop Express
AG
My daughters and I drooled over this on YouTube this evening while my wife shook her head no.

YouBet
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

My daughters and I drooled over this on YouTube this evening while my wife shook her head no.

Freaking Lego just went and made the best Star Wars game ever, didn't they?

Will buy.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I mean seriously, I was ready to buy it when I saw the menu screen with all the different scenarios.
Chipotlemonger
AG
KOTOR would like a word with that comment
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weird, I could've sworn that Lego game had come out years ago.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, apparently I'm thinking of LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

First two trilogies, released in 2007.

Not the greatest title in retrospect, huh?
Duncan Idaho
Chipotlemonger said:

KOTOR would like a word with that comment, Meat bag

Fif HK-47
The Porkchop Express
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Chipotlemonger said:

KOTOR would like a word with that comment, Meat bag

Fif HK-47
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Ok, ok. That's $10 on steam right now. Problem is you have to run a bunch of mods to make it work or I already would have done it.
bluefire579
AG
YouBet said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Ok, ok. That's $10 on steam right now. Problem is you have to run a bunch of mods to make it work or I already would have done it.
I've been able to run it on my PC in the past. Shouldn't need mods, just need to do a few adjustments in the config file. It's also on ioS and android, if you don't even want to do that much
First Page Last Page
Page 1075 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.