Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,037,483 Views | 44185 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by The Porkchop Express
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Rebels is more kid friendly than TCW.
redline248
AG
I let my 6 year old son watch all of Rebels first. I'm now letting him go through the Clone Wars, but there are definitely some darker themes there. I'm not sure if I'll let him watch the latest seasons, yet. For reference, he's seen all the original trilogy, phantom menace and force awakens. When Kylo kills Han he was pretty bothered for a few days.

There is also the stuff like Lego droid tales and the old ewok cartoon that she might enjoy.

A note about Ahsoka: in the Clone Wars movie and early seasons she's kind of a smart mouth little jerk. But the early rebels episodes have a lot of that kind of thing, too.
maroon barchetta
Sure he wasn't upset you let him watch The Force Awakens?
redline248
AG
Ha
Red Five
AG
I Have Spoken said:

I think Rebels is more kid friendly than TCW.
Agree here. One of the first episodes of season 1 of TCW is about a clone trooper suiciding himself to save the rest of his unit. There's obviously not a lot of blood or anything, but I thought Clone Wars was a pretty dark show a lot of times. Definitely not something to just put on for a younger child just because it's a cartoon, IMO.
JCRiley09
AG
There are some pretty good cartoon versions of the Skywalker saga movies on YouTube, but they're like a minute long so you have to be on the remote ready to play them one after the other.
fig96
i is smart
AG
Thanks for the help guys, we went through the Star Wars Lego content. That's about all she had the attention span for. I'm really struggling explaining Baby Yoda vs. OG Yoda to her lol.

I had forgotten about Ahsoka's bratty phase. Awesome character development later on, but probably something to explore when she gets older.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
It'll be Rose and the internet will burn
YouBet
AG
Trick question: it will be C3PO and R2.
jeffk
AG
BB-8
Keegan99
AG
Zorii Bliss, please.
twilly
AG
The Book Of Boba Fett Explores The 'Power Vacuum' Left By Jabba The Hutt, Says Jon Favreau

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
The Porkchop Express
Returned to Galaxy's Edge today with the family - our very spoiled 2nd trip of 2021 and 4th time at GE overall (3 Orlando, 1 Anaheim). Pleased to say there were new variations on Rise of the Resistance as well as a very cool addition to Star Tours featuring Episode IX Lando and the Battle of Exegol. Let my 9 year old daughters pilot the Falcon together. Didn't think it was possible to crash it while taking off, but they proved us wrong!
Saxsoon
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Returned to Galaxy's Edge today with the family - our very spoiled 2nd trip of 2021 and 4th time at GE overall (3 Orlando, 1 Anaheim). Pleased to say there were new variations on Rise of the Resistance as well as a very cool addition to Star Tours featuring Episode IX Lando and the Battle of Exegol. Let my 9 year old daughters pilot the Falcon together. Didn't think it was possible to crash it while taking off, but they proved us wrong!
What variations are you talking about for rise?

I was there last week and the only variation I saw was after the ride had shut down. I think it had to do with the Kylo animatronic being down and instead showed him in a ship out in space blasting at us on the screen
jbanda
AG
An aside if y'all will indulge me…

Everyone knows that the empire came to power in the original trilogy after they dissolved the senate, while the "First Order" f'ed over the new republic (?) by blowing up a bunch of planets, including one where the new senate was?

What my theory presupposes is, maybe this particular galaxy needs a galactic empire to be in charge? Seems like they just can't get a representative form of government to work. They had the empire beat in the original trilogy, then went back and beat their x-wings into plowshares and let the "first order" build a planet size solar system killing mega Death Star that was powered by draining a star? Like that planet didn't seem like it was all that far away from all the rest of the new republic planets. Also they built like 1000 Death Star laser equipped Star destroyers and no one noticed? Maybe Princess Leia's form of government is too inept to be in charge? I'll probably be cancelled and branded a fascist now.

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I'd watch a Chewbacca series.
YellowPot_97
AG
jbanda said:

Everyone knows that the empire came to power in the original trilogy after they dissolved the senate, while the "First Order" f'ed over the new republic (?) by blowing up a bunch of planets, including one where the new senate was?

What my theory presupposes is, maybe this particular galaxy needs a galactic empire to be in charge? Seems like they just can't get a representative form of government to work. They had the empire beat in the original trilogy, then went back and beat their x-wings into plowshares and let the "first order" build a planet size solar system killing mega Death Star that was powered by draining a star? Like that planet didn't seem like it was all that far away from all the rest of the new republic planets. Also they built like 1000 Death Star laser equipped Star destroyers and no one noticed? Maybe Princess Leia's form of government is too inept to be in charge? I'll probably be cancelled and branded a fascist now.

It's almost as if Lucas film/Disney had no plan for the sequel trilogy and let the directors pull what ever ridiculous crap out of their ass they felt like. That's why none of it makes any sense.
maroon barchetta
The Planet Killer base was stupid. Even for a sci-fi flick where laws of physics rarely apply.

The commie argument is invalid.
tk for tu juan
Hopefully Rey, otherwise she wasted a bunch of time making the staff saber if it is not used in the future
Flashdiaz
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Hopefully Rey, otherwise she wasted a bunch of time making the staff saber if it is not used in the future

Rey needs to turn evil like her grandfather before her, kill aspiring Jedi and start to amass an army… Enter Grogu with a mandalorian army
TCTTS
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Went to Galaxy's Edge today as well, for the first time ever, at Disneyland. It was a lot of fun and it really does make Star Wars feel so real and tangible. We didn't do Rise of the Resistance - the line was 95 minutes and no one wanted to wait that long - but we did the Millennium Falcon and had a great time. Walking the hallway into the main area of the ship was both incredibly familiar but also so surreal. They do a phenomenal job replicating it. Two of my nephews were the pilots, my dad and I were the gunners, and my mom and one of my sisters were the engineers. The best compliment I can give it is that when we were done, one of my nephews very suspiciously asked/had to make sure, "We didn't really go to space, did we?"
The Porkchop Express
Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

I was there last week and the only variation I saw was after the ride had shut down. I think it had to do with the Kylo animatronic being down and instead showed him in a ship out in space blasting at us on the screen

The Rebels that "break you out" of the prison cell now include Sullustans and Mon Cals in masks, not just humans. We had a Mon Cal and I just stopped and stared at him for a few seconds like I had stepped into the movie even more. Definitely seeing a lot of stuff that are signs of a return to pre-COVID rules there. The Runaway Railway had its original beginning that we had not see when we went earlier in '21 either.
The Porkchop Express
jbanda said:

Many times in the EU novels - now called Legends of course - there is discourse, mostly among Leia, Han, Luke and several of the government types - that things were much simpler while fighting the Empire. Once it goes away, everyone just returns to their old squabbles - Planet A hates Planet B. Planet C has two races that hate each other and so on. In Tim Zahn's Thrawn Duology that came out I want to say in the early 2000s or perhaps late 1990s, the Imperial Remnant is able to foment the New Republic of a Civil War concerning what, if any, punishment should be meted out against the Bothans when knowledge surfaces that some of their families aided the Empire's genocide of another race of aliens.

But in general, most of those books are hep to your idea that there needs to be an enemy to really unite the people. There are very few small, intimate stories among those books, although that was probably on purpose to have them emulate the movies; Eventually there was the Yuhzhn (sp) Vong, enemies from outside the galaxy who were immune to the Force who united the Imperial Remnant, the New Republic and basically every other faction out there against them and lasted 20+ books, but even after that they just kept having to dredge up new giant threats to give everyone something to fight for.
YouBet
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

One woman driver is dangerous. Two women drivers is automatic death.

Do they have oh sh^t handles in the passenger seat of the Falcon?
YouBet
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

jbanda said:

Many times in the EU novels - now called Legends of course - there is discourse, mostly among Leia, Han, Luke and several of the government types - that things were much simpler while fighting the Empire. Once it goes away, everyone just returns to their old squabbles - Planet A hates Planet B. Planet C has two races that hate each other and so on. In Tim Zahn's Thrawn Duology that came out I want to say in the early 2000s or perhaps late 1990s, the Imperial Remnant is able to foment the New Republic of a Civil War concerning what, if any, punishment should be meted out against the Bothans when knowledge surfaces that some of their families aided the Empire's genocide of another race of aliens.

But in general, most of those books are hep to your idea that there needs to be an enemy to really unite the people. There are very few small, intimate stories among those books, although that was probably on purpose to have them emulate the movies; Eventually there was the Yuhzhn (sp) Vong, enemies from outside the galaxy who were immune to the Force who united the Imperial Remnant, the New Republic and basically every other faction out there against them and lasted 20+ books, but even after that they just kept having to dredge up new giant threats to give everyone something to fight for.
Same concept has applied throughout real life history. See USA vs USSR for one obvious example.

So it makes sense to see that in the books.
The Porkchop Express
YouBet said:

helloimustbegoing said:

You shoulda seen the look on the face of the 20-something single rider guy who got added to our flight as an engineer when he realized 2 9 year olds were gonna be flying the thing.

Saxsoon
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

The Rebels that "break you out" of the prison cell now include Sullustans and Mon Cals in masks, not just humans. We had a Mon Cal and I just stopped and stared at him for a few seconds like I had stepped into the movie even more. Definitely seeing a lot of stuff that are signs of a return to pre-COVID rules there. The Runaway Railway had its original beginning that we had not see when we went earlier in '21 either.
Weird I rode three times and never saw that.
The Collective
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

You shoulda seen the look on the face of the 20-something single rider guy who got added to our flight as an engineer when he realized 2 9 year olds were gonna be flying the thing.

Probably on reddit *****ing that some kids messed up his Disney Star Wars experience.
jeffk
AG
heck, he probably posts here.
bluefire579
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

YouBet said:

helloimustbegoing said:

Probably the same as my face when the guy brought his wife/girlfriend, and she didn't even pull the lever to jump to hyperspace the first time I rode
The Porkchop Express
As much as I love star wars, I must say the best ride at Hollywood studios is slinky dog dash at night.
Saxsoon
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

As much as I love star wars, I must say the best ride at Hollywood studios is slinky dog dash at night.
I wish that could be a minute longer. It is a lot like Seven Dwarves, very fun but just a little too short
YouBet
AG
Saxsoon said:

helloimustbegoing said:

I wish that could be a minute longer. It is a lot like Seven Dwarves, very fun but just a little too short
That's what she said.
First Page Last Page
Page 1067 of 1263

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.