Star Wars Discussion Thread

4,528,896 Views | 37363 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by redline248
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

1. He's a bounty hunter and supposed to be "scary" so the Slave name makes sense

2. Retconning the name is very 1984 -
Quote:

At the start of the book, Oceania is at war with Eurasia. They have always been at war with Eurasia. That's the political consensus, and all historic documents agree. However, Winston Smith (the protagonist) remembers a time five years ago when Oceania was instead at war with Eastasia. Winston Smith struggles with philosophical idea of "truth". Which is more true, what everyone knows and what's in the newspapers, or the memories within his head?


3. The FireSpray is a class / style of ship - This is like renaming the "Millennium Falcon" to "YT1300"

4. Slavery is bad; removing slavery from the social consciousness invites vast unintended consequences. I think it's better to have these words in the lexicon and be reminded why they are bad outcomes...
Did you seriously compare a private company changing the name of a ship to 1984. I don't like the name change either, but good god get over yourself
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After watching the latest What If, it got me thinking, what would be some interesting scenarios to explore if they did one for the Star Wars universe?

For me, the following came to mind.

What if:
1. Anakin loses the podrace?
2. Qui-Gon kills Darth Maul and survives?
3. Obi-Wan believes Count Dooku when he tells him about Sidious, and joins his plan to take him down?
4. Anakin allows Windu to kill Palpatine?
5. Padme doesn't die?

All of these would be hugely intriguing to me.

1. How does everyone get back to Coruscant, and are they still able to free Anakin?

2. I think this for sure means no Darth Vader, but does the Empire still rise? Does Dooku survive and become second in command, since there is no Maul or Vader to take his place? I wonder if the Jedi would even discover who Sidious was without Anakin being seduced to the dark side. And what happens with Obi-Wan without training Anakin?

3. This may be the most intriguing one to me, because we still don't know what Dooku was really planning here. I believe he really did want to take down Palpatine, but would probably have betrayed Obi-Wan eventually, since he was trying to bring down the Jedi Order as well. But maybe Obi-Wan would have started to see the Jedi Order for the more corrupt entity it has slowly become, and that's where things get interesting. Would be incredibly interesting to see him wrestle with that inner conflict. Not to mention what happens with Anakin. Although it seems that still puts him on a collision course with Obi-Wan. Loyalties still conflict even if they agree on the Jedi not being the heroes they thought.

4. Definitely no Empire, but does the galaxy accept Jedi taking control of the galaxy in the interim of finding a new chancellor? Would be interesting to see the political fallout of this.

5. Padme raises Luke and Leia...does that get them both into the rebellion at an early age like Leia? Does Luke still get trained by Obi-Wan? I think Padme doesn't allow that out of fear of what happened to Anakin. Gotta wonder if this ends up being a much worse scenario for the galaxy.
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bluefire579 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

1. He's a bounty hunter and supposed to be "scary" so the Slave name makes sense

2. Retconning the name is very 1984 -
Quote:

At the start of the book, Oceania is at war with Eurasia. They have always been at war with Eurasia. That's the political consensus, and all historic documents agree. However, Winston Smith (the protagonist) remembers a time five years ago when Oceania was instead at war with Eastasia. Winston Smith struggles with philosophical idea of "truth". Which is more true, what everyone knows and what's in the newspapers, or the memories within his head?


3. The FireSpray is a class / style of ship - This is like renaming the "Millennium Falcon" to "YT1300"

4. Slavery is bad; removing slavery from the social consciousness invites vast unintended consequences. I think it's better to have these words in the lexicon and be reminded why they are bad outcomes...
Did you seriously compare a private company changing the name of a ship to 1984. I don't like the name change either, but good god get over yourself


The only reason they're changing the name is due to perceived social and political pressure and/or woke motives. Since that is political commentary on the side of Disney, then yeah, I am making that comparison because while it's imperfect (private vs government) Disney is a HUGE empire with tons of power and influence... seems pretty apt to me.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

After watching the latest What If, it got me thinking, what would be some interesting scenarios to explore if they did one for the Star Wars universe?

If you haven't read these, get your ass to Amazon immediately.







so much greatness inside!











Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't read these, but a buddy of mine told me about these and I'm familiar with the stories. They are pretty cool.

But for me I'm definitely more curious about stuff changing in the Republic era, since they would affect the galaxy much more drastically. And it's fun to think about what leads to an Empire and what doesn't.

That white suit Vader is pretty dope though.
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jokershady said:

jokershady said:

I'm introducing my dad to The Mandalorian and have been trying to get him to watch it..we're on episode 3 of season 1 now
so now my dad has watched all of season 1 and finished it Thursday.

Today he's already gone through the first 5 episodes of season 2 and is about to start number 6 right now..y'all have no idea how much I've talked to him about this show trying to get him to watch it cause I knew he'd love the hell out of it and here we are.

Clone wars and rebels will be next.
So he ended up binge watching almost the whole second season that Friday and texted me Saturday morning after watching the last 2 episodes. What made it better is we had already made plans for him, me, and my 2 oldest boys to go hang out for a bit.

So yeahhad to go over all the characters he hadn't heard of and what made them important. Ashoka, Bo Katan, Thrawn reference, operation Cinder, the dark saber (again). And dang it was fun to do so.

He's pulling out his phone on the Disney app asking me which shows he needs to start with next. So obviously I tell him Clone Wars and then Rebels before he watches Bad Batch.

69 year old dad who literally grew up with Star Wars and I get to show and share with him so much new stuff.

I got a good feeling about this.
C@LAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Soul Glow Jedi Master Anakin

jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If Star Wars and GOT got mashed together it would look something like this
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hayden would have made a great Loras.
Ewan would have been a good Jaime
Sam Jackson as Stannis
Natalie as Cersei

if we bring in the OT crew -
Hamill as Selmy
Ford as Tywin or maybe better as Jeor Mormont
Fisher as old lady Tyrell
Billy Dee as Robert Baratheon, or his younger self as Bronn

idk, fun to think about
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Hayden would have made a great Loras.
Ewan would have been a good Jaime
Sam Jackson as Stannis
Natalie as Cersei

if we bring in the OT crew -
Hamill as Selmy
Ford as Tywin or maybe better as Jeor Mormont
Fisher as old lady Tyrell
Billy Dee as Robert Baratheon, or his younger self as Bronn

idk, fun to think about
I bet Ewan would agree to that just for Season 1 Episode 1 tower scene...
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Peter Dinklage as Yoda
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Peter Dinklage as Yoda
It's really funny when you imagine Dinklage as Yoda, pissing off of a wall...

Also, a GoT and Star Wars crossover would solve the time plotholes in the last season with Khaleesi going from Dragonstone to rescue Jon Snow in the north in 5 minutes... Hyperspace Dragons (also a great band name)
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Jedi of tits and wine, I am.
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How would you like to die?

In my own bed, at 900 years old, my age. With a belly, spotchka full of and a nerfherders mouth around my phantom menance.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just watched the making of Mando season finale on Disney Plus. It is as powerful and cool as you could imagine, and the way they kept the secret is fantastic.

Two things that really stick out for me.

1) Jon Favreau's reaction to R2D2 on set was very much mine. As much as I love Luke in that episode, when R2 shows up next to him and you realize that they're still together is the real heart-strings moment.

2) The thing that makes me love Mark Hamill the most is that he calls everything by its proper name. When other people get interviewed about the movie, they'll throw out non-Star Wars terms about things, but he's still out there calling it the cantina, saying he had to meet Grogu because he's the only one with any experience with Yoda's species, and on and on. He's the best.
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the post above; I need to check that out...

It prompted a thought though: Question - if Disney ever tried to name Yoda / Grogu's species would that be a turn off?

Like with most movies; I hate when they try to back-explain and fill in every detail of mystery from before a movie or novel became popular. I.e. the force and midichoorians... leave the mystery in place.
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

bluefire579 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

1. He's a bounty hunter and supposed to be "scary" so the Slave name makes sense

2. Retconning the name is very 1984 -
Quote:

At the start of the book, Oceania is at war with Eurasia. They have always been at war with Eurasia. That's the political consensus, and all historic documents agree. However, Winston Smith (the protagonist) remembers a time five years ago when Oceania was instead at war with Eastasia. Winston Smith struggles with philosophical idea of "truth". Which is more true, what everyone knows and what's in the newspapers, or the memories within his head?


3. The FireSpray is a class / style of ship - This is like renaming the "Millennium Falcon" to "YT1300"

4. Slavery is bad; removing slavery from the social consciousness invites vast unintended consequences. I think it's better to have these words in the lexicon and be reminded why they are bad outcomes...
Did you seriously compare a private company changing the name of a ship to 1984. I don't like the name change either, but good god get over yourself


The only reason they're changing the name is due to perceived social and political pressure and/or woke motives. Since that is political commentary on the side of Disney, then yeah, I am making that comparison because while it's imperfect (private vs government) Disney is a HUGE empire with tons of power and influence... seems pretty apt to me.
The other development is that they are evolving Boba to be more of an anti-hero. He is no longer straight immoral bounty hunter.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Behind the Scenes Mandalorian Finale

Favreau: Kathleen Kennedy is an incredible producer

I felt a disturbance in the force. . . as if millions of nerds heads suddenly exploded, and were suddenly silenced.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
that mother ****er Filoni hid the finale cameo under the name of Plo Koon and even had models and art made

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The lengths they went to to keep Luke secret are impressive. And thank God they somehow kept it under wraps.

Also, I had no idea his robes in ROTJ were actually dark brown, not black. Interesting that they changed them to black for Mando because everyone just kind of remembers them being in black.
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Even with all the efforts they made to keep it a secret it's still a shock that it friekin worked!!!
dave94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That documentary was great. So amazing they were able to pull this off.
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:




I noticed that and thought it was interesting when he went into block chain
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saxsoon said:

TCTTS said:




I noticed that and thought it was interesting when he went into block chain
It remind me of when they used to have little public service announcements before movies asking people not to pirate them from the Internet. It's a huge threat to their industry, he's got a platform, and Disney as well, might as well use it for 2 minutes. He's right, too. Deepfake has some dangerous potential use.
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Just watched the making of Mando season finale on Disney Plus. It is as powerful and cool as you could imagine, and the way they kept the secret is fantastic.

Two things that really stick out for me.

1) Jon Favreau's reaction to R2D2 on set was very much mine. As much as I love Luke in that episode, when R2 shows up next to him and you realize that they're still together is the real heart-strings moment.

2) The thing that makes me love Mark Hamill the most is that he calls everything by its proper name. When other people get interviewed about the movie, they'll throw out non-Star Wars terms about things, but he's still out there calling it the cantina, saying he had to meet Grogu because he's the only one with any experience with Yoda's species, and on and on. He's the best.
I don't know this has already be posted, but Luke and OT fans might enjoy this:

Champ Bailey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The lengths they went to to keep Luke secret are impressive. And thank God they somehow kept it under wraps.

Also, I had no idea his robes in ROTJ were actually dark brown, not black. Interesting that they changed them to black for Mando because everyone just kind of remembers them being in black.


Never realized that either. His clothing underneath was still black though, right? Might be just that you really only see them in the one scene at Jabba's where it's pretty dark, and then he is wearing black for the rest of the movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A good normal lighting look at the ROTJ robe. I remember seeing it years ago when they had the Star Wars props tour come to a museum in Houston was blown away.



This one really shows the brown well.

Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love Plo Koon head with normal human hands.

twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The action figures back then showed us the cloak was brown.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I went to a Star Wars costume exhibit in NYC and it was awesome. Might have been the same one, not sure.

I know I posted it back then, I'll try to bring up the pics.
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Went to the Star Wars costume exhibition today in NYC. Pretty damn awesome.

Posting a few pics but the full album is here: http://imgur.com/a/UyDzk






















































Here we are.

And sure enough, clear as day, there's Luke's black ROTJ clothes with the brown robe on top. Don't know how I didn't realize back then that the robe was brown. Maybe I thought they couldn't get ahold of the original black robe, or so I thought.
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


Sort of surprised you didn't jump the fence and put on Anakin's robe in this one.

All my pictures from when it came to Houston are prints. I don't have the will to scan them in. They are from back in an era I like to call "Ol Army of the Republic"
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


I always though it was faded out black, probably due to the lighting... but it's pretty clear when he removed his hood while speaking to Jabba that it's a dull, dark brown.
First Page Last Page
Page 1051 of 1068
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.