Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,236 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 59 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cue 3 year argument on TexAgs that Star Wars should produce more than a good feeling.
Red Five
AG
Red Five, standing by.

Let's go Team Good Feeling.
jokershady
AG
Haven't watched the trailer yet but I'm calling my shot:

The first time Mark walks through the doors and unveils himself the rest of the cast and majority of the crew had no idea Mark Hamill was actually going to be there
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Cue 3 year argument on TexAgs that Star Wars should produce more than a good feeling.
TPM - first watch 1999 (I was 17) - Good feeling = 8/10 (at the time); 6/10 now
AotC - first watch 2002 - Good feeling = 7/10; 5/10 now
RotS - first watch 2005 - Good feeling =8/10; except for Padme dying of broken heart (child birth) mostly because it didn't match with Leia's telling of remembering her mother ("images really")

Solo - first watch 2018 - Good feeling = 9/10; yeah, I really enjoyed this move
R1 - first watch 2016 - Good feeling = 8/10; yeah, but because of the appreciation of the story that had to be told a certain way, obviously they plot leaves one feeling sad but hopeful at the end

ANH - first watch 1986 (I was 5) - Good feeling = 9/10; yeah buddy
ESB - first watch 1986 - Good feeling = 9.5/10; probably not as a 5 year old, but definitely now, yes
ROTJ - first watch 1986 - Good feeling = 8.5/10; definitely, as a 5 year old this was my favorite; as a 40 year old it's in the top 5

TFA - first watch 2015 - Good feeling = 7/10 at the time; probably a 5.5/10 now
TLJ - first watch 2017 - Good feeling = 4/10 at the time; probably a 1.5/10 now... barely rewatchable
TRoS - first watch 2019 - Good feeling = 5/10 at the time, probably a 2.5/10 now... just not that rewatchable
jokershady
AG

TPM - first watch 1999 (I was 12 or 13) - Good feeling = 8/10 (on first watch); 4/10 now
AotC - first watch 2002 - Meh feeling = 6/10 (on first watch); 1/10 now.....hot garbage that has zero appeal to me and I'll never have any desire to ever watch again
RotS - first watch 2005 - Good feeling = 7/10 (on first watch); 7/10 now.....had I not watched any of the clone wars series this would probably have gotten a touch lower.

Solo - first watch 2018 - Meh feeling = 6/10 (on first watch); 8/10 now....has REALLY grown on me and was just hard for me to appreciate it with TLJ having come out several months prior.
R1 - first watch 2016 - Happy in my pants feeling = 10/10 (on first watch); 10/10 now....feel free to look up my long post of why from the individual movie threads from each film in 2019.

ANH - first watch 1992 (I was 6 or 7) - Great feeling = 8/10 (on first watch); 9/10 now
ESB - first watch 1992 - Meh feeling = 7/10 (on first watch); 9.5/10 now....my young self didn't appreciate good story telling and what a true sequel should be
ROTJ - first watch 1992 - Great feeling = 9/10 (on first watch); 8/10 now....will always hold a special place in my memory as this was the first film where I saw the "bad guy" become good, which was an entirely new concept to me and blew my little mind.

TFA - first watch 2015 - Good feeling = 7/10 (on first watch); 6/10 now.....I'd like to break this up further as it's really more like a 8/10 for the first 2/3 of the film and then there's a substantial drop.
TLJ - first watch 2017 - WTF feeling = 5/10 (on first watch); 6/10 now....when it's awesome, it's AWESOME....but when it sucks......oh man does it suck hard
TRoS - first watch 2019 - EVEN MORE WTF feeling = 5/10 (on first watch); 3/10 now....I've only seen it twice and have no desire to ever watch again
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TPM - 9, 8
AOTC - 10, 6
ROTS - 9, 7

Solo - 4, 5
R1 - 9, 9

ANH - 8, 9
ESB - 6, 10
ROTJ - 7, 7

TFA - 9, 8
TLJ - 7, 6
TROS - 8, 5

In short:

I pretty much loved all the prequels when I saw them in theaters, and I still love them but recognize their flaws. (AOTC gets a 10 for first watch solely due to how awesome it was to see Yoda fighting for the first time.)

Still meh on Solo but I increased it by a point because I recognize the pretty solid performances by the cast.

R1 - Loved it then and love it now.

I didn't really love ESB as a kid but by the time I was 14 or so I could see its utter brilliance. The only "perfect" SW movie in my eyes.

Sequels - The excitement of seeing them in theaters and having Star Wars back made every first watch enjoyable, but my deep resenment of what they did to Luke was immediate, hence the 7 for TLJ. And it has only gone down from there. But, it's still mostly enjoyable. And TROS, well...even walking out I knew I was hugely disappointed but I was in denial because the experience was so fun. (Watching it with a group of friends who all love Star Wars and who I went to Celebration 2019 with.) The only reason it's not lower than 5 is because of the Rey/Kylo fight and how well Leia's death was handled.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CSvPsFknbQg
redline248
AG
I can't remember ever hearing about that
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TPM - first watch opening day 1999 was so pumped for this after 16 years of thinking about it, 9/10 then 8/10 now
AotC - first watch opening day 2002 8/10 then 7/10 now
RotS - first watch opening day 2005 9/10 then and now

Solo - first watch opening day 2018 was still miffed about TLJ so probably didn't give this one a fair shake at first, 7/10 then but now 8/10
R1 - first watch opening day 2016 10/10 then and now

ANH - first watch 1977 (I was 10) 10/10 then and now
ESB - first watch 1980 10/10 then, 11/10 now
ROTJ - first watch opening night 1983 - when I walked out of the theater, I remember thinking that was disappointing, but the second time I saw it the subsequent weekend (opened on a Wednesday), I'd say I had it at 9/10, now 8/10

TFA - first watch opening day 2015 8/10 then 7/10 now
TLJ - first watch opening day 2017 7/10 then, 6/10 now
TRoS - first watch opening day 2019 8/10 then 7/10 now

I'm one of the few here that will state that I like the prequels. I liked them when they came out, and I continue to like them now. They are not in the same strata with SW, TESB, and R1. But I do rewatch them fairly regularly. (I've been looking at a lot of still shots from ROTS recently as I am putting together a Republic Star Destroyer, and rigging it with fiber optic lighting which is a pain in the ass).

The sequels were largely a disappointment. There was a lot of promise with the first movie despite how it was literally a remake of SW. TLJ killed the sequel trilogy for me, and while there were parts of TROS that I really liked (and I was unexpectedly emotional watching that one on opening night with it being the end of a long era in my life that began in the summer of '77), there was nothing they could have done to rescue that trilogy at that point.

I absolutely loved Rogue One. There is not one single thing about that movie that disappointed me or caused me a WTF moment. For me, they hit every hanging curve, connected on every crucial 4th down conversion, and shattered the backboard with the Darth Vader to Princess Leia ending.

Solo's release was just a case of unfortunate timing. I saw it and was initially about as lukewarm as I'd ever been to a Star Wars movie (I was pumped for TLJ and came out thinking WTF did I just watch). TLJ really killed Solo for me, initially. But when I re-watched it once TLJ had been largely forgotten, I found that I really liked Solo. We all know about the guy who portrayed young Lando, but damn the kid that was young Solo was equally impressive. Just an all-around good movie that got lost in the fog of TLJ.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This sent me down a little bit of a Hamill rabbit hole, and I came across this. It's probably been posted before but still pretty cool, especially Scott's reaction at the end.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Star Wars soap line - some pretty deep joke cuts in the commercial.

jokershady
AG
It has but Mark Hamill being Star Wars Mark Hamill is always fun to watch
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This sent me down a little bit of a Hamill rabbit hole, and I came across this. It's probably been posted before but still pretty cool, especially Scott's reaction at the end.

Adam Scott's reaction is the reaction that every single person here would have in the same situation, except Spilner, who would have wanted it to be Hayden.

i is smart
AG

redline248
AG
Quote:

You'd say, "boom de gasa"... den crashded da boss's heyblibber... den banished.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I sense a plot to destroy us.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

double aught said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Adam Scott's reaction is the reaction that every single person here would have in the same situation, except Spilner, who would have wanted it to be Hayden.

Natalie*
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dad Jokes said:

Depends. What is the emergency?

Burglary: There are too many of them. What are we going to do?

Domestic disturbance: We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.

Assault: The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed.

Murdered someone: What have I done?

Discovering a Sith Lord: I think Chancellor Palpatine is a Sith Lord.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
https://comicbook.com/starwars/news/star-wars-boba-fett-ship-name-change-firespray-slave-1/

Firespray is a dumb name for a space ship. sound like it doesn't work correctly.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fett's ship has been a Firespray class ship since around the late 1990s, called that in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story and the first Visual Dictionary in 1998. The words are spoken aloud in the Jango Fett PS2 game as well.

I'm not sure which is dumber - Disney changing the name or people being upset that the word Slave was used to name a ship. Are they going to redo The Phantom Menace to say that Anakin and his mom were interns at Watto's Junkyard?
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I am just going to start calling Han's ship a "modified " YT-1300F
Jason_Ag98
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

I'm not sure which is dumber - Disney changing the name or people being upset that the word Slave was used to name a ship. Are they going to redo The Phantom Menace to say that Anakin and his mom were interns at Watto's Junkyard?
Was anyone actually upset? I certainly could have missed it, but I don't remember hearing it mentioned until after the fact.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Jason_Ag98 said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Was anyone actually upset? I certainly could have missed it, but I don't remember hearing it mentioned until after the fact.
Disney claimed they changed the name for merchandising reasons. I.e kids just called it Boba's ship. I think most fans thought it was Disney being woke before anyone complained.
powerbelly
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

Fett's ship has been a Firespray class ship since around the late 1990s, called that in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters short story and the first Visual Dictionary in 1998. The words are spoken aloud in the Jango Fett PS2 game as well.

*unpaid interns
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
powerbelly said:

Fat Bib Fortuna said:

*unpaid interns
Watto lied and told Shmi she would get course credit at Bestine Tech and it would carry over when she transferred to Anchorhead State in the fall.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TheForce.Net has the English dub cast for Visions - some pretty impressive names on there as well as some extremely minor spoilers for a couple of them.

The Duel: Brian Tee (Ronin), Lucy Liu (Bandit Leader), Jaden Waldman (Village Chief)
Tatooine Rhapsody: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Jay), Bobby Moynihan (Geezer), Temuera Morrison (Boba Fett), Shelby Young (K-344), Marc Thompson (Lan)
The Twins: Neil Patrick Harris (Karre), Alison Brie (Am), Jonathan Lipow (B-20N)
The Village Bride: Karen ***uhara (F), Nichole Sakura (Haru), Christopher Sean (Asu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Valco), Andrew Kishino (Izuma), Stephanie Sheh (Saku)
The Ninth Jedi: Kimiko Glenn (Kara), Andrew Kishino (Juro), Simu Liu (Zhima), Masi Oka (Ethan), Greg Chun (Roden), Neil Kaplan (Narrator), Michael Sinterniklaas (Hen Jin)
T0-B1: Jaden Waldman (T0-B1), Kyle Chandler (Mitaka)
The Elder: David Harbour (Tajin), Jordan Fisher (Dan), James Hong (The Elder)
Lop & Ocho: Anna Cathcart (Lop), Hiromi Dames (Ocho), Paul Nakauchi (Yasaburo), Kyle McCarley (Imperial Officer)
Akakiri: Henry Golding (Tsubaki), Jamie Chung (Misa), George Takei (Senshuu), Keone Young (Kamahachi), Lorraine Toussaint (Masago)
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Dad Jokes said:

The sun doin murder to meesa skin!
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dad Jokes said:

Well hello there
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Dad Jokes said:

"IT'S A TRAP!!"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Did they sneak this line in the prequels?
jokershady
AG
jokershady said:

I'm introducing my dad to The Mandalorian and have been trying to get him to watch it..we're on episode 3 of season 1 now
so now my dad has watched all of season 1 and finished it Thursday.

Today he's already gone through the first 5 episodes of season 2 and is about to start number 6 right now..y'all have no idea how much I've talked to him about this show trying to get him to watch it cause I knew he'd love the hell out of it and here we are.

Clone wars and rebels will be next.
TCTTS
AG
Love this.
PatAg
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

They can call it whatever the **** they want, it will always be Slave 1
SpreadsheetAg
AG
1. He's a bounty hunter and supposed to be "scary" so the Slave name makes sense

2. Retconning the name is very 1984 -
Quote:

At the start of the book, Oceania is at war with Eurasia. They have always been at war with Eurasia. That's the political consensus, and all historic documents agree. However, Winston Smith (the protagonist) remembers a time five years ago when Oceania was instead at war with Eastasia. Winston Smith struggles with philosophical idea of "truth". Which is more true, what everyone knows and what's in the newspapers, or the memories within his head?

3. The FireSpray is a class / style of ship - This is like renaming the "Millennium Falcon" to "YT1300"

4. Slavery is bad; removing slavery from the social consciousness invites vast unintended consequences. I think it's better to have these words in the lexicon and be reminded why they are bad outcomes...
First Page Last Page
Page 1050 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.