Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,889,013 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No attachments of any kind.
Flashdiaz
AG
Brennus said:

Isn't it also a reason the Jedi didn't what them getting married? at least I thought that was forbidden by the Jedi Order.
don't need to be married to have a kid son.
twilly
AG
ROGUE ONE' HAS HIGHEST PRE-SALES TICKETS OF 2016; SECOND ALL-TIME

From the article:
Quote:

MovieTickets.com and Fandango among many others are reporting that in the short time of two and half days, Rogue One has already become the year's biggest pre-seller of tickets and that original estimates of the first Star Wars anthology film only opening with around $130 to $140 million may have been "way off".
Way off? You think?
Farmer1906
AG
If the twilight movies can open to 138-144 range then this one could easily.

TFA did 248 M last year. The ability for this time of the year is there and we all know how large the SW base is.
The Collective
AG
aggie1906 said:

TFA did 248 M last year. The ability for this time of the year is there and we all know how large the SW base is.

Of course, there are still people who think this is Episode VIII. Great work by Disney to trick the non-fanboy audience.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll admit, even I didn't think it would even compare to TFA numbers. But now it's looking like it might actually come close. (At least opening weekend.)

If it does $1B+ worldwide, get ready for a lot of new announcements, boys.
TCTTS
AG
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/rogue-one-writer-tony-gilroy-make-millions-reshoots-951119
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

The new fan theory from yesterday is a doozy of mental gymnastics... at least, I hope it's not true:

I actually Like this a lot ... like R+L=J I will call this RO5=KoR

However wouldn't that make the KoR like 50-60 in that vision?
wangus12
AG
More like 60-70
twilly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'll admit, even I didn't think it would even compare to TFA numbers. But now it's looking like it might actually come close. (At least opening weekend.)

If it does $1B+ worldwide, get ready for a lot of new announcements, boys.
Here's a mind blower for you...

If Rogue does $1B, and Ep 8 does $2B+ next year, considering all the revenue from toys, books, clothes, etc., Disney will have begun to turn a profit on a $4B investment in just under 5 years. Not to mention that almost all of that revenue will be made in the last half of that time. That's pretty darn amazing.
The Collective
AG
Wellp, this one could go either way.
TCTTS
AG
Was more reacting to the amount of $$$ Gilroy is going to make for basically falling into the job.
bobinator
AG
Ugh, I don't like how much I like this theory.
twilly
AG
TCTTS said:

Was more reacting to the amount of $$$ Gilroy is going to make for basically falling into the job.
Doesn't that lend some credibility that the reshoots were more than just your "garden variety" ones, and that a major overhaul took place?
TCTTS
AG
I still think they were more than "garden variety" but less than "major overhaul." In the timetable that article gives, the reshoots, logistically speaking, just couldn't have been THAT substantial and still hit the release date.
Farmer1906
AG
CJS4715 said:

The new fan theory from yesterday is a doozy of mental gymnastics... at least, I hope it's not true:

At first blush I thought it was a joke, but I may be convinced. This is a great theory.
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

I know what you are reacting to, I just chose to focus on something else. The article says $200k/week is normal but then seems surprised by the cumulative figure. If his role increased in early summer which added duration, isn't $5 million about right at that rate to get through reshoots & post-production.
Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

More like 60-70

Do you age if you're frozen in Carbonite?
The Collective
AG
If the alternate ending is Vader laying waste to Jyn and the team, I'm going to be so pissed.
TCTTS
AG
The cumulative figure is a surprise because most writers who get paid $200K a week for rewrites usually only spend a week or two doing them. They're usually super short sprints. So that this gig kept snowballing is what's so unique/surprising.
BigTimeAlum
AG
aggie1906 said:

CJS4715 said:

At first blush I thought it was a joke, but I may be convinced. This is a great theory.

I'm convinced to the point I'd be shocked if it weren't true.
Malachi Constant
AG
I agree. I'm sort of convinced and now wish I hadn't watched that video...
ja86
The Collective
AG
I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way that theory can be true, even if it is compelling and makes sense.
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

I wouldn't worry about it. There is no way that theory can be true, even if it is compelling and makes sense.
agree. It was the probably the same group that came up with both groups. When putting groups together, you often put in different people with different specialties... I bet if you thought about it enough there could be an argument that the rogue one crew is actually the A-team.
Dro07
AG
aggie1906 said:

wangus12 said:

More like 60-70

Wow I was leaning to them being to old until you said this... Dammit I hope its not true
spanky
AG
I really wish I wouldn't have watched that video
MandoArms
I was about to say this theory makes no sense until I realized how it ties into what happens to the missing heroes of the rebellion in Life Debt....
Farmer1906
AG
BrownCoat said:

I was about to say this theory makes no sense until I realized how it ties into what happens to the missing heroes of the rebellion in Life Debt....
Hmmmm.... interesting point.
The Collective
AG
Zemira
AG
Okay not watching the video.
Ag Since 83
AG
At this point I'm considering disappearing for 2 weeks...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
aggie1906 said:

wangus12 said:

More like 60-70

Or cloned!?!?!?!?!?!
TCTTS
AG
I don't quite know how I feel about that theory/video. My gut says it's a huge stretch, and simply a case of an incredibly annoying YouTuber seeing what he wants to see, in attempt to get a sh*t ton of views.

That said, I do admit it would be kind of cool to see the Rogue One team captured by Vader at the end of the movie and then frozen in carbonite. My ideal ending would be seeing the team sacrifice themselves in some way, just after ensuring their transmutation of the plans - something like a crash-their-ship-into-another-ship scenario to see that the plans are safe kind of thing - but I just don't know if Disney would go that route. Seems too bleak for them, even if done in an inspirational/heroic manner. But having them all essentially eventually go bad seems just as out of character for Disney. The only thing cool thing about it would be seeing a post-credits Rogue One scene of Kylo Ren unfreezing the group from carbonite all those years later. Still, I just don't know how they'd turn bad all the sudden after spending a whole movie on them fighting the Empire.

One other argument in favor of it, though, is the fact that we still don't have an Episode VIII title. Lucasfilm probably doesn't want to distract from Rogue One in any way, but maybe they're holding off because the title directly corresponds to the Knights of Ren somehow, and it'll make more sense after the end of this movie. Doubtful, but who knows.

Overall, I'm not holding my breath. I really do think Disney will chicken out and that a majority of the team will survive and get away somehow, and then each will just go their separate ways, back to their own stories in far off corners of the universe. Either way, we'll find out in less than three weeks...
First Page Last Page
Page 510 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.