Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,454 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by TCTTS
InnerCityAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dropping the episode numbers is a clown move.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But with that said, this finally feels real now that principal photography is done and we have an official title.

Some part of me always thought this wouldn't happen, something will fall through, etc., but it feels reel now.
Legal Custodian
AG
I believe they will keep the episode number in the opening crawl but doubt it in marketing. Look at the poster below for Empire. Doesn't say Episode V anywhere on it:

TCTTS
AG
Legal Custodian is probably right. Episode numbers will more than likely still be used to chronicle/mark each movie, it just won't be a prominent part of the marketing like it was for the prequels.
slickag2007
AG
The Force Awakens as a title makes me nervous. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if they choose to bring Darth Vader back in any way.
hurleyag
AG
#rejectedstarwarstitles
InnerCityAg
I guess if you think about it... nobody cared about episode numbers before the prequels came out.

jr15aggie
AG
quote:
The Force Awakens as a title makes me nervous. I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if they choose to bring Darth Vader back in any way.

I'm pretty sure you've got nothing to worry about. Whether we are talking about spoilers or not (we aren't in this thread), there has been nothing to suggest Vader is coming back in any form.

With regards to the title, I like to think of it in terms of, there use to be a Jedi order... then they were wiped out... and then Luke came along and was the only one left that we know of (since all the books are now a separate fiction). So I think "The Force Awakens" has more to do with Luke and the possibility of bringing the Jedi back. If there was a bunch of stuff that was "forgotten" when the Jedi were killed, maybe Luke or maybe his pupils unlock some of this. I don't think the term "awaken" is referring to a first time event... I think it means that it had simply fallen silent when the Jedi were all but destroyed, but it's about to wake up and come back in a big way.
Ag Since 83
AG
The title is fine. And that Alderaan weather graphic is my new favorite thing ever.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
nobody cared about episode numbers before the prequels came out.
Precisely.

I'm old and I've never referred to Empire as "Episode 5" or Jedi as "Episode 6." To me, the original trilogy are Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
AliasMan02
AG
"Awakens" is a good title for the normal shorthand. Fans refer to Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi... and then Episode 1, 2, and 3. Now we get Awakens.

I also think not using the Episode prominently helps to distance it from Eps 1 - 3, and lets it be its own thing.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I believe they will keep the episode number in the opening crawl but doubt it in marketing. Look at the poster below for Empire. Doesn't say Episode V anywhere on it:

JJ is a smart guy. His movie posters are going to be classic, painted posters like this... right? Surely.
txagman1998
AG
FYI, Disney CEO Bob Iger was on CNBC today. He was asked whether or not the first six films would be re-released in theaters before Episode 7. He was non-committal, and said that all he could confirm today was "The Force Awakens" title.

By not answering the question in the negative, I would assume they are likely to re-release the movies, or are at the very least considering the proposition. If they do re-release them it will be interesting to see whether they release the originals remastered, or the special editions. It would also be interesting to see the order they would release the movies:

4,5,6,1,2,3 or
1,2,3,4,5,6 or
4,5,1,2,3,6 (if they really wanted to throw a curveball)
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They did Phantom Menace in 2012 so I doubt they do it again. I would guess 2-6, if anything.
Saxsoon
AG
I remember watching Phantom Menace at the College Station Cinemark in 2012. Fun Times. One guy shouted out that this was not the Twillight movie, please leave.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was at the midnight showing for that. There was dudes at the front of the theater having a lightsaber fight, lol.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Matter of fact, here's the video. My favorite is the "BTHO Darth Maul" at 0:17.
txagman1998
AG
quote:
quote:

The logic behind this order is that the viewer watches A New Hope and Empire. With the big Vader reveal at the end of Empire, the viewer than watches the prequel trilogy to understand Vader's backstory. Return of the Jedi is then viewed as the finale of the story.
redline248
AG
quote:
nerds
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
you and I were in the same theater
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The logic behind this order is that the viewer watches A New Hope and Empire. With the big Vader reveal at the end of Empire, the viewer than watches the prequel trilogy to understand Vader's backstory. Return of the Jedi is then viewed as the finale of the story.

This, all the way. Easily the best order to watch them.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
quote:
you and I were in the same theater

Hey! I was there too!
Saxsoon
AG
We need to have a reunion for episode 7 in the same theater and never interact
hurleyag
AG
quote:
quote:
Quote:
quote:
Quote:Matter of fact, here's the video. My favorite is the "BTHO Darth Maul" at 0:17.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSASiOhYZU
OMG, you and I were in the same theater

Hey! I was there too!
Me too. I still have my Darth Maul 3D glasses.
jr15aggie
AG
There's just something about the nerd threshold that I refuse to cross. I don't mind being a Star Wars fan... heck, I even read the 3 books that followed the original movies... but I refuse to dress up and play swords with another grown man!!!
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
We need to have a reunion for episode 7 in the same theater and never interact

Tradition.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
There's just something about the nerd threshold that I refuse to cross. I don't mind being a Star Wars fan... heck, I even read the 3 books that followed the original movies... but I refuse to dress up and play swords with another grown man!!!
Yeah I won't do that either, but sitting in the theater with a bunch of Star Wars nerds watching Star Wars is pretty damn fun.
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
Who said anything about playing? I'm there to kill.
YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
quote:
nobody cared about episode numbers before the prequels came out.
Precisely.

I'm old and I've never referred to Empire as "Episode 5" or Jedi as "Episode 6." To me, the original trilogy are Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Before the prequels it didn't make any sense to refer to them as numbers. Why say 4, 5, or 6 when there's only three movies? If the exact same movies were released now, in chronological order, I bet the general public would refer to them as Star Wars 1,2,3,4,5,6.
Urban Ag
AG
man, that ESB poster brings back some memories and also makes me feel old.

I grew up in a semi rural area and the closest movie theater in 1980 was about 45 minutes away. The Roxy. It was in the closest town that had real stores. I can remember begging my mom just to drive up to the theater so I could get out of the truck and look at the "coming soon" posters. When I saw that poster for ESB in about April of 1980 I'm pretty sure I peed myself.

I don't think I've ever been that excited about a movie since. My kids are excited about episode 7 but they don't really get it and never will. Back before 500 cable channels, internet, i-pads, etc, a black and white ad in the back of the local newspaper or a poster (as mentioned) on the wall outside the theater was all we had to fuel our excitement, and it was more than enough.
wangus12
AG
quote:
You mean like this?

Triumph the Puppet Dog
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You mean Triumph the insult comic dog. And yes, the Star Wars bit is probably his best.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
You mean Triumph the insult comic dog. And yes, the Star Wars bit is probably his best.

A classic... one of the funniest skits I've ever seen!

quote:
"Who's feeding your pet snake and/or tarantula?"

"Look at this one!"

"Who wants to hear a spoiler.... you will die alone!"

ROFL
Orbit
My favorite skit of all time...

"you can choose from all kinds of guys who have no idea how to please you..."

"And don't forget to finish your filet of fish...dragon master."

"Amd which of these buttons calls your parents to pick you up?"
First Page Last Page
Page 72 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.