Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,374 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

But we dont know anything about the physical properties what the destroyers are made of, maybe their hulls are like the weight of styrofoam
wookiepedia, which I know is practically a fan site, says "titanium-reinforced hull."
YouBet
AG
I would like to point out that literally 2 days prior to me engaging in speculation on destruction outcome of a Star Destroyer crashing into a planet vs an asteroid on this thread, I was making fun of two nerds debating a theoretical dogfight between an F16 and an X-Wing tie fighter in the Mando thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

These are all from https://bottleneckgallery.com/ by the way. I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my TROS/ESB artwork that I showed here last month.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Don't tell me that I can't take everything on wookiepedia as the God's honest truth. Especially watching Clone Wars this summer I've spent a lot of time reading through it.

Although annoyingly people essentially recreate almost best by beat retellings of episodes in the bio of characters and such.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

But we dont know anything about the physical properties what the destroyers are made of, maybe their hulls are like the weight of styrofoam
wookiepedia, which I know is practically a fan site, says "titanium-reinforced hull."

I'd think the DS, for all It's exterior size, is something like 70-80% open spaces... I'd imagine the density is not that significant relative to size

Imagine a playground ball dropped from 5 ft versus a bowling ball dropped from 5 feet
jeffk
AG
How much of the playground ball is packed with munitions though?
powerbelly
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Don't tell me that I can't take everything on wookiepedia as the God's honest truth. Especially watching Clone Wars this summer I've spent a lot of time reading through it.

Although annoyingly people essentially recreate almost best by beat retellings of episodes in the bio of characters and such.
I trust a wiki that is curated by Star Wars fans to be more accurate than anything else.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Well excuse me for having a hobby.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Troof
fig96
AG
Star Wars Finally Explains the Dagobah Cave

Quote:

The recently-published novel From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back retells the film's events from the perspective of various characters. One of the chapters is told from the point of view of the vergence that lives inside the Cave of Evil. The formless entity has been there for "a millennium," encountering a number of Force users over that time. Through these interactions, the vergence learned concepts such as time, thoughts, memories, and fear. That combination allows the entity to sense the mind of whoever steps into the cave, allowing it to project their deepest fears. Yoda, interestingly, appears to be the only one to visit the cave multiple times.

Flashdiaz
AG
which begs the question, what is yoda afraid of?

running out of eggs?
twilly
AG
Decay
AG
Wait, did the cave need an explanation? Is anything just "the Force" anymore?!
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Kylo Ren destroys the cave in a comic book.
redline248
AG
He's a bigger p-ss than Anakin
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Decay said:

Wait, did the cave need an explanation? Is anything just "the Force" anymore?!

This.

Just leave it as a dark side nexus... it just is. Done.
redline248
AG
by the way, is the rest of From a Certain Point of View going to be like General Rieekan, random rebel trooper in a trench, TIE bomber pilot looking for the Falcon, Imperial ensign cleaning up choked out admirals and dealing with bounty hunter scum, and the ever famous Wilrow Hood?
Dro07
AG
Wait are the sequels still canon?
Decay
AG
dromo07 said:

Wait are the sequels still canon?

Is anything canon anymore?!

Actually this is all going to end up with Lucas rerereleasing 1-6 as the "Canon Lucas Edition", having recut, refilmed, and re-viz everything into Darth Jar Jar and his takeover.
TCTTS
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
Watching the crew fight inquisitors at the end of S2 of Rebels, I'm really bothered by the physics of them using their light sabers as helicopters. I've got no problem with magic Laser swords but that seems to be a bridge too far.
redline248
AG
I wanna say the force is involved, but I honestly don't remember if the inquisitors use the force.

I also remember rolling my eyes a little at that.
ja86
AG
inquisitors are force users. I always attributed it to a force skill.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Watching the crew fight inquisitors at the end of S2 of Rebels, I'm really bothered by the physics of them using their light sabers as helicopters. I've got no problem with magic Laser swords but that seems to be a bridge too far.

Agree
AliasMan02
AG
I just finished Queen's Peril today, the second book focusing exclusively on Padme and her handmaidens. This one is about Padme's election as queen up through the events of Episode 1. Queen's Shadow is about Padme's transition from Queen to Senator.

These are not great literature or anything, but the amount of depth the author was able to weave into what was pretty much a throwaway one-note concept in Episode 1 is really impressive. And it's very cool, and makes so much sense in a fictional espionage way.

A lot of really fun fantasy world building things in there. Like Naboo queens run for the office and rule anonymously under a pseudonym and with obscured faces (hence Amidala). The different jobs and specialties of the handmaidens and how they were used as security. How does Padme deal with being a senator when as a monarch she essentially overthrew the chancellor in favor of a politician from her homeworld.

Sabe (Padme's primary body double) in particular really comes into her own as a character, which I know has been carried into some recent comics that I'm not up to speed on.

They're short books (technically junior novels I think) so worth your while if you need something for your commute or whatever.
AgfromHOU
AG
Found this on Reddit. SIAP.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Anthony Daniels met reporters in Hollywood yesterday to promo the Holiday Special which comes out tomorrow on Disney +.

One reporter asked him if he could name one positive thing about working on the original Star Wars Holiday Special to which he said:
Quote:

"I got paid."
bluefire579
AG
Anyone else watch it? Found it silly and enjoyable myself, less so the Life Day stuff at the Falcon and much more so Rey jumping through the different eras.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
Harrison Ford is so damn good and he knows it....in his late years it's as if it's a giant inside joke that only he's in on, and knows that in his interviews he can come off as any type of person and nobody will fully know if he's being genuinely annoyed or irritated, or if it's all a joke and I love it!!
TCTTS
AG

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/11/fox-george-lucas-destroy-star-wars-casting-anakin-prequels-1234599454/
TCTTS
AG
I definitely need the book this came from, along with the 1977-1983 edition. The previews at the respective links below are awesome. $200 each is pretty damn steep, though...

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film/all/01171/facts.the_star_wars_archives_19992005.htm

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film/all/01170/facts.the_star_wars_archives_19771983.htm
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not gonna lie, I really want that prequel one.
Ag Since 83
AG
I have the original one, it's quite heavy
First Page Last Page
Page 991 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.