Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,785 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sorry for the slightly political tweet, but this comment needs to be shared

Belton Ag
AG
He hated sand as well. So it's not like he just singled out certain things.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was a cheat to get him back on the screen and see him interact with Kylo. It almost felt like an emotional crutch to me.

If you kill the character, you should not be able to use him like that, in my opinion. (If it had been made possible by a force ghost, that I would've accepted as a new force power or something.)

In fact, it felt like it was just JJ being overly nostalgic and emotionally attached to the OT (as I'm sure I'm accused of being with the PT), instead of using Anakin, which would have been a natural fit for that scene.

I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it.

It seemed very heavily implied that Han was an image provided by Leia. If Carrie hasn't died she would have been there and I think JJ asked Harrison as a favor to have a variation of that scene.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm probably a few years late to the party on this because until Disney plus I never owned any of the movies in any format other than DVD, but I was checking out the extras on Revenge of the SIth the other day and noticed three animatics I'd never seen before - including one each of Palpatine vs. Yoda and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

Both have quite a few differences than the film version, including Yoda basically "winning" the duel with Palpatine fleeing and sending in clonetroopers by the dozen to try to finish Yoda off. There are several really cool shots that I wish had been in the film.

Obi-Wan vs. Anakin has a lot of the same stuff except it gets rid of the high ground and has Obi-Wan go with a low blow on Anakin to finish him off and dump him in the lava.

There's two more fo the Kashyyk battle and Obi-Wan/Grievous fight that I have not seen yet, but was just interested if anyone else knows about these and what your thoughts are.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had never seen those either until my recent Disney+ marathon of the whole series. Some friends and I watched all of those and got a huge kick out the alternate Yoda/Palps fight, and the Obi-Wan/Grievous chase which went on FOREVER and went through a train tunnel.

The moment from 7:35 forward got a HUGE reaction out of everyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gangnam Style
AG
New TCW clip

The Collective
AG
Echo at the 49 second mark
The Collective
AG
Also, still pumped about Admiral Trench's return.
redline248
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Gangnam Style said:

New TCW clip

It is no great coincidence that Disney has chosen to release this on my birthday.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The saga continues...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Collective
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

^ Wow
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

^ Wow
Sometimes we don't give Uncle George enough credit for the gifts he bestows upon us.

Not Star Wars, but IDGAF

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
OT marathon on TNT today
TCTTS
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think you didn't like the last movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's taken me this long to admit to myself that I was disappointed in the movie. Flat out.

I knew walking out that I disliked the ending, but here's the thing. This is the ONLY Star Wars movie I only saw once in theaters, and right now I'm not even particularly excited to watch it again. Don't get me wrong, I will, and I hope that it grows on me over time, but right now, it's just such a disappointing end to the saga. And seeing the script/concept art for the original DOTF script has just made it that much worse.

In fact, I have barely thought about Star Wars since last year. And it sucks. It kind of killed my excitement for Star Wars, at least for now.
AliasMan02
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's taken me this long to admit to myself that I was disappointed in the movie. Flat out.

I knew walking out that I disliked the ending, but here's the thing. This is the ONLY Star Wars movie I only saw once in theaters, and right now I'm not even particularly excited to watch it again. Don't get me wrong, I will, and I hope that it grows on me over time, but right now, it's just such a disappointing end to the saga. And seeing the script/concept art for the original DOTF script has just made it that much worse.

In fact, I have barely thought about Star Wars since last year. And it sucks. It kind of killed my excitement for Star Wars, at least for now.

I got around to this a while back, but you sum it up nicely. It was such a give-up by JJ and the studio. Baffling.
John Matrix
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. Rise of Skywalksr is just such a shotty, lazy, and unsatisfying end to a trilogy and saga that had so much potential. It made me realize that, once again, I think I need an extended break from Star Wars.
CoachRTM
AG
I just think it would have been so much better if they gave one director all three movies to tell one over-arching story.

It felt like they took each movie one at a time, and changed plans between each one, which cheapened it in a big way.
TXAG 05
AG
John Matrix said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is exactly how I feel about the whole thing. Rise of Skywalksr is just such a shotty, lazy, and unsatisfying end to a trilogy and saga that had so much potential. It made me realize that, once again, I think I need an extended break from Star Wars.

This. The whole sequel trilogy was a waste. I like Rise of Skywalker the best, but have no real desire to watch any of them again, unlike the OT movies which I will sit down and watch any time they are on tv. Other than Rogue One and Solo, I pretend like the OT are the only Star Wars movies that exist.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
"Lazy" is the perfect way to describe TROS.
TCTTS
AG
CoachRTM said:

I just think it would have been so much better if they gave one director all three movies to tell one over-arching story.

It felt like they took each movie one at a time, and changed plans between each one, which cheapened it in a big way.

Disney/Lucasfilm shot themselves in the foot this go around by insisting on a saga movie every two years, which ensured that no single writer/director could do all three movies, as it takes roughly three years to write/shoot/edit one of these movies, and that's if everything goes well/production isn't insanely rushed. But the bigger problem is that even every three years is tough for a single director because that's 8-10 straight years of that director's life on one property without getting to do anything else in between. And most worthy/big-name directors aren't going to sign up for that kind of gig. So, the way I see it, if Disney were ever to a trilogy of "saga" films again with a single, big-name director, they have two options...

1) Write and shoot the entire trilogy at once and then release each movie a year apart, Lord of the Rings style.

2) Release the saga movies four years apart, allowing the director time in between each to go off and do something else.

Nolan shot The Prestige and Inception in between installments of his Dark Knight trilogy, which was the ideal scenario (and yes, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were only three years apart, but Nolan has the advantage of his brother being able to do some of the heavy lifting with a first pass on some of his scripts).

That said, I could see one other single-director scenario, and that's basically The Matrix / Pirates of the Caribbean strategy. Write, shoot, and release the first movie, with a loose idea for the next two. Then, if the first one is a hit, shoot the two sequels back-to-back and release them either in the same year or a year apart. But the key would be that the director gets to go off and make something else before having to shoot the two sequels.
fig96
AG
Even outside having one director shoot all three, have at least one consistent writer across the trilogy or at WORST have the general arc of the three films planned out.

Had Rian Johnson just gotten direction that "you're starting here and we need things to end up somewhere around here", we wouldn't have had JJ spend half of TROS walking back parts of TLJ.
TCTTS
AG
Totally agree.
Chipotlemonger
AG
CoachRTM said:

Agreed with this. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed TFA and TROS, and to a lesser extent TLJ. So I'm a little more optimistic in my outlook of this sequel trilogy. Even then, I agree that them being so "one off" feeling sucks.
Saxsoon
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The saga continues...

I refuse to watch these now after the asshat that runs that company shut down all of their podcasts.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
First Page Last Page
Page 899 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.